What's new

RPG Patreon Active [Paladox] The Fairy, the Succubus, and the Abyss (Version 0.745)

TheThingNotThinkingAtAll

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score
Re: The Fairy, the Succubus, and the Abyss. V1B10P9 (Updated April 4th, 2014)

The sad face that appears on Sienna is a little blue sad face symbol. I have no idea where it came from and why it appeared but it is just there. I don't notice anything different in-game other than the symbol. I'll try to get an image of it.

OP
Paladox

Paladox

Tentacle God
Reputation score
Re: The Fairy, the Succubus, and the Abyss. V1B10P9 (Updated April 4th, 2014)

I know what you're talking about now. It's the wounded state that enemies sometimes inflict that would normally disappear and then add a wound during combat.

I hadn't really thought about it before but it's actually an easy fix. I'll have it remove the wounded state at the end of combat.

OP
Paladox

Paladox

Tentacle God
Reputation score
Re: The Fairy, the Succubus, and the Abyss. V1B10P10 (Updated April 6th, 2014)

The OP has been updated with the latest version. Please see the notes on the 1B10P10 update for the latest changes.

As always If you run into any issues, bugs, glitches, etc.. then please let me know.

HappyGoomba

Sex Demon
Reputation score

Kind of late to the conversation, but for poison and earth, how about salt. As in "they salted the earth so that nothing would grow."

OP
Paladox

Paladox

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Makes sense I guess but like vinegar it's not directly obvious without the explanation.

censuur

Tentacle God
Reputation score

I was wondering if there was ever going to be a use for the bribe system, it seems fairly appealing but I've never really found a use for it, with the way combat works and how you always end up being the one starting the fight and having an easy escape route at any point in time there's never really a reason to bribe monsters unless you just explicitly WANT a scene.

So I was wondering if maybe you can have monsters sometimes invade your "home" area and when you are weakened enough by your daily business it might force you to make uncomfortable decisions in order to maintain that which is important to you, following the theme of desperation.

OP
Paladox

Paladox

Tentacle God
Reputation score

The bribery system is mostly there so that players can have Sienna make poor judgement calls without losing spirit, clothing, and inflicting trauma in the process. I like for players to play how they want, and it's a hentai game, so lots of players want to see all the different monster sex. And I'm hoping to avoid as many player deaths as possible when I make the update where having low spirit kills you. xD

I get what you're saying though. I will try and have much stronger enemies later in the game. The bribery system will be ideal for them. Do you want to take a chance fighting against a really powerful opponent, or just bribe them to temporarily remove them so that you can get that juicy treasure box behind them?

Honestly though I have no idea if the gameplay is balanced or not. I really need to play through my own game. xD

There will be somewhat 'home' invasive stuff at some point, but it will be of a more scripted nature. I'm not very good at scripting AI. The best I've managed is the giant skeleton boss in the crypts and even that was extremely challenging.

I'm not too fond of the "follow player" AI that is built into the engine. Monsters that do that are easily confused. There are a few new enemies that I want to use that with though, along with insane movement speed. They will initially be behind gates that you can remove. It should be quite unnerving, especially if you haven't fought them yet or if you have and know they're difficult.

censuur

Tentacle God
Reputation score

On the subject of balance, the vinery mobs give too little exp for the effort it takes to kill them and even with a full party of fairies they take a while to bring down. There seems to be little use for abilities that don't inflict damage (sleep/silence etc) as there's never really more than one enemy and when there is the one round of silencing them is rarely worth it.

I'm hoping it's possible to just be progressively fighting larger groups of enemies, making the use of crowd control spells a requirement to win (which might also make the bribery system more appealing to use as each fight is dangerous) overall, the difficulty could be increased quite a bit while toning done some of the more extreme damage numbers found on later mobs (some enemies in the vinery would kill my vile fairy in a single spell)

TheThingNotThinkingAtAll

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score

Ok then, good to know what that face was. I haven't found any bugs in the new update yet.

As for the balanced gameplay, I say don't worry about it till the game is finished with. When you've added everything then you can take your time and fix the balancing.

OP
Paladox

Paladox

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Thanks for the posts. It's got me thinking a lot about how to improve the balance of the fights.

One reason a lot of the fights are a bit too easy is because I didn't want to force the player to have to wait till they have children while they complete The Dungeon and Crypts levels.
The monsters in The Vinery are probably actually a little too strong, but I would like to improve on the fights there.

I'm pretty sure The Dungeon and Crypts are balanced properly? If not then please correct me. Should I have multiple ghosts in groups on the later levels?

Another reason I largely have only one enemy per group is the explanation of "Where did the other monsters go?" whenever they're on the map, in a sex scene, etc.. I know most RPGs give very little thought to this but I think the small details like that are important. But I've realized that some enemies can be present just because they're drawn to the larger enemy, they're drawn to the fight, or other various reasons, like summons or even duplicity (ooh! good one for slimes).

So for The Vinery I can add smaller foes that only appear inside combat. These would increase the difficulty a little, increasing the need for the sleep spells and such. It would also increase the exp, making the fights more worthwhile. I can even give them annoying spells so that silence would be useful. I'm thinking of small spiders to accompany the larger ones, small bees for the hornets, etc.. and possibly even animated, annoying graspy vines that could accompany of the enemies there.

I'm also considering adding shades, shadows, etc.. to fights whenever the lights are out (and no lantern). This would certainly make moving around without a light far more dangerous.

I'll probably add the next area first, but it's definitely something I'll want to work on. Probably while I work on the statue/challenge room.

censuur

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Dungeon is just fine, crypts I felt was OK and it makes you consider using one of the other fairies (though I only had Nadie at the time which can't do anything in the crypts) and having done crypts with only Sienna I also pretty much did the entire vinery with just her but I skipped most of the fights where I could (whereas in the dungeon I hunted all the enemies down) as they took so long to kill for so little exp. Getting more faires in your party didn't really solve that problem much, and I prefered the crypts where you usually had several enemies simultaneously.

mocken999

Reputation score

Ok so I found one bug (at least i think its a bug) where I gave the yellow guy a hand-job and ended up pregnant the next day, no other sex at all.

also I was wondering if your going to include clothing for the daughters; cause i find it really weird that your in a place where the creatures are rape-happy and your daughters don't wear clothes, even if the3y do immediately run away when you lose.

OP
Paladox

Paladox

Tentacle God
Reputation score

I checked the script for the hand job and I can't find any instance of the pregnancy script. There are other ways of getting pregnant though. Did you happen to gamble with Annis or buy a mystery potion?

Her daughters will have clothing, but it will function like an upgrade for them. I just haven't gotten around to making their outfits yet.

censuur

Tentacle God
Reputation score

I was wondering if you could make it so you can study spells without having to rest in between, like just having it take a certain amount of time (4-6 hours?) as teaching your daughters new spells right now requires a lot of excess sleeping and honestly it's just a bit of a chore. Overall it feels like there could be more things during the day that take up time, having you choose between certain activities per day rather than going to sleep only once you run out of daily activities.

Another minor issue is the inventory clutter, with all the different kinds of food it might just be easier to have categories instead of individual ones, potatoes and carrots could just be "roots" and other categories like meats, fruits, dairy etc could cut down on the inventory space and leave room for maybe more alchemy products (the current life and magic potions make combat trivial and add extra max hp/mana on top of that, which seems a bit too potent for it's cost)

OP
Paladox

Paladox

Tentacle God
Reputation score

I can add daily tasks that take a few hours to complete (and include learning spells in that). I'll add that in my notes, but it will probably be a while before I get around to adding that in. I always liked that idea in the hentai dating games that I've played.

I do plan on adding build-able storage boxes at some point, which will allow you to store food and other common items. I have tried to avoid inventory clutter as much as possible, though I do wish I had planned ahead better and spread all the items out to make room for future items to fit in between item categories. As it is, I'd either need to add new potions to the bottom of the item list (ew!), or I'd have to move items up or down, and that would have an effect on quite a few events. I'm not too keen on the prospect of looking through all those events and changing item ID codes. Plus I know I'd miss some and it would cause issues. "Wait, that quest asked for water. Why did it take those healing potions instead?"

I thought 10 gems was a pretty good amount for the life and magic potions. If you think it's too little then I could increase the price. What would you suggest?

In the end I feel like you're really just paying 10 gems for the permanent +1 increase, because napping is free and gives a complete life and magic refill.

One alternative would be to disable item use in combat.. but that might be a little harsh. xD
(Edit: Actually the more I think about it the more appealing that sounds. Would you really have time to look for a potion in the middle of combat?
It would certainly make poison removal spells, life/magic stealing, etc.. more viable options in combat)

Last edited:

TheThingNotThinkingAtAll

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score

I like the no potion idea during combat. You gotta prepare yourself before combat and it may pay a role in the bribery system. For example, you may have low health and no items left. Your daughter's may suggest you bribe your way out of combat instead. You should add a chance for bribes to fail too instead of having you get away with it every time. Sex chances could be influenced by lust and the money one could be influenced by.....??? (I have no idea honestly...maybe by how much you have on hand?).

censuur

Tentacle God
Reputation score

You could balance it out by making the bonus more significant, so one potion would cost 200 gems and give +10 to health or mana. The restoration aspect of the potions would be better suited to an alchemical sollution, maybe just combining some of the already existing ingredients into mana/health restoring potions.

You might consider just adding a "kitchen" to the main room where you can just drop off all your food and maybe even plan out meals to take before you go to sleep and after you wake up, have it cost some gold from the merchant and have your daughters refill it when you ask them to search for food. This effectively means you have to make sure you have enough of the resource, but need not worry about constantly using it which is something that might start to drag on a bit after a while.

Another point of interest I noticed when playing was that I was fairly permanently maxed out on cloth and wood, and was wondering if maybe there could be a use for that, maybe having one of the fairies be able to craft items out of them, wood for wands and cloth for clothes, the other materials such as mined iron maybe usable for upgrades/specializations.

I'm not exactly sure what the sprites are so this suggestion might be a bit morbid, but maybe use sprites to imbue the crafted items further.

TheThingNotThinkingAtAll

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score

but maybe use sprites to imbue the crafted items further.
You would kill your own child and turn it into an item!? What is wrong with you!?

Not joking around though, I like that idea, just lets not kill the poor children. I also agree on the kitchen, though I think we can go a little further and make it a workstation (tailoring machine to work with your cloth idea, alchemy, kitchen =P, refiller, etc). Do you think it would be better or is it too much?

Do we even have a use for iron yet? I haven't really seen any uses for it.

OP
Paladox

Paladox

Tentacle God
Reputation score

I'm not sure about having a chance to fail bribery but I'll make a note to consider it.

As for the potion balancing I think I'll just go with removing item use during combat. This should more than diminish the value of Life/Magic potions. I would consider increasing the price but 10 gems are actually worth 100 gold (or 50, depending on how you look at it), so I think that's kinda expensive. Plus you could actually end up using 9000 of each potion on each character. I don't really think it would be necessary, but if you did that would end up costing.. well.. way more gold/gems than you could ever possibly find in the game.

I do realize having to keep up warmth, nutrition, hygiene, etc.. could be tedious after a while, so I do plan on having their importance lessen or even diminish entirely as the game progresses. On the other hand there might be times when they are more important, like really cold or hot areas, filthy areas, or even times when you're imprisoned and have your food taken away. (I would of course store it in variables so you could get it all back later).

As I mentioned in a previous post there will be storage boxes for food, cloth, water, wood etc.. Those items can then be stored as variables and that will make it much easier for me to use them for other purposes. I might even have the game directly store items (if you have the proper storage box) when you have more than one in your inventory, and even automatically get items from storage when you run out. Could be complicated, but it would certainly make for a less cluttered inventory (and less wasted items).

I do have an idea for a use for the excess sprites. I haven't implemented this yet but an event will happen when you have all 6 daughters grown into adults. I might also have a requirement of a certain amount of sprites? Not sure. But you'll then be able to deposit any sprite and their total will confer some kind of bonus, likely affecting the garden, gathering, or something along those lines.

Yeah I do need to keep the different ores and gems in mind.. aside from being a nice resell item. xP I will try to remember and use them in the recipes when you're upgrading fairy children's wands, clothing, etc..

Lately I've just been working a lot on getting combat animations for "vermin". I think I'll search for a script that will let me add enemies to fights w/o having to edit the enemy groups... or something. I dunno. xD
Edit: I'm not sure if there is a script like that, so I will probably have to just modify the monster groups. Not a big deal though. Just need to move some of them around a bit.
Edit 2: Figured it out. I can have the additional enemies randomly appear at the beginning of the fight.

As for turning children into items.. there is something like that. xD But the 'item' used to make the new item is already dead, so to speak. Then again, so is the crafter. x]

Last edited:

TheThingNotThinkingAtAll

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score

As for turning children into items.. there is something like that. xD But the 'item' used to make the new item is already dead, so to speak. Then again, so is the crafter. x]
If it has anything to do with giving Sienna an abortion then T.T

I see her in a good way and I think shes too nice of a person to make her have abortions, plus 'that' guy is creepy. (Look at all those sprites flying around, I wonder how she manages to care for them all)