What's new

Magic: The Gathering

Lurker
Reputation score
Re: Magic: The Gathering

What is apprentice and where do I find it? I could probably use the practice.

Nunu

Despot
Former Admin
Reputation score

apprentice essntialy simulates deck randomization and the playing field you actualy do all the mechanics by hand as you play.

if you search for magic the gathering apprentice you shuold bump into it. then i found magic set editor which is a custom card creator that can export to apprentice format hence meaning you just recreate the cards you want that are missing from the set.

Goldstein

Lurker
Reputation score

I was actually thinking of trying out . From reading about it, it maintains its own database of cards, which would be a plus over Apprentice, if I'm understand it correctly. Additionally, it is actually a full fledged implementation of the game into software.

cross_grave

Lurker
Reputation score

OCTGN is another alternative, if you don't want to use either of the above.

Iggy

Tentacle God
Reputation score

I was actually thinking of trying out . From reading about it, it maintains its own database of cards, which would be a plus over Apprentice, if I'm understand it correctly. Additionally, it is actually a full fledged implementation of the game into software.
When I first read this, I was thinking of the actual card, "Cockatrice"

Nunu

Despot
Former Admin
Reputation score

okay i've got an EDH deck ready to play in cockatrice.

anyone wanna fight?

Goldstein

Lurker
Reputation score

I'm up for it. Are you just named Nunu?

Nunu

Despot
Former Admin
Reputation score

probably, how do i find you?

Goldstein and i fought on cockatrice, his sliver commander vs my elf commander. I won 2/1.

Last edited:

freeko

Banned
Reputation score

I will warn you all that Apprentice is easy to manipulate. I was a judge for an online league years ago and having to deal with all the supposed hacking was so bothersome. The problem was, it was most times someone who was hacking by having that one card they need to draw always show up and the such.

I might give this cockatrice thing a try to see how well it handles things. Maybe throw a few beatings around. How does it handle multiplayer as EDH generally will see 4 players in a game instead of being only 1v1.

Guyver2216

Lurker
Reputation score

My only experience with EDH has been listening to one friend talk about it and playing a game with 3 other people. out of the four of us 3 were precon decks and only one was a personally built deck. My ability to come up with ideas for normal decks works fine...edh..not so fine.

freeko

Banned
Reputation score

EDH is a wholly different animal as you have a deck thats 100 cards and you can not really just throw in all the good cards and call it a deck like most do in type 2 anymore.

Guyver2216

Lurker
Reputation score

Well as i said i have played one EDH game and i used a precon called devour for power. It actually had a theme that worked. Also from what my one friend has shown me there is more to it then just throwing lots of good stuff in and calling it a deck. Seen two of his deck designs that were fairly nasty and very effective in getting rolling.

Nunu

Despot
Former Admin
Reputation score

I like heavenly inferno.

although i just tried some EDH and it ended up with everyone calling me a fucking douchebag and leaving.

its not my fault they couldn't handle my decks win condition being waiting. (i had removed their ability to untap, all their permenants come into play tapped, all their creatures were 1/1's with no abilities, etc)

Guyver2216

Lurker
Reputation score

decks where you simply run everyone else out of cards or such is pretty much just boring game in my opinion. boring games frustrate people even faster.

Nunu

Despot
Former Admin
Reputation score

it has win conditions, its just your not in a rush to get to them. you have plenty of search though. but i was scared and playing conservatively.

Guyver2216

Lurker
Reputation score

Yeah i know how that can be. The gorup i play with the most is always either scared of me and hold back to try and counter whatever i do or scared of me and goes aggressive right off the bat at me. Even in group games. Usually its because i'm the only one constantly updating my stock of cards and bringing new stuff to the table.

Nunu

Despot
Former Admin
Reputation score

well dreana, want to fight my highlander?

Goldstein

Lurker
Reputation score

The deck works then, nunu? I'll have to try it, even though I'm almost certain I don't have the countercontrol necessary...

Nunu

Despot
Former Admin
Reputation score

i'm up for a game, give me some sort of contact details so i can tell you when i wanna fight.

Guyver2216

Lurker
Reputation score

sure Nunu if i had a EDH deck i have built myself. Only thing i have played is Devour for Power.