What's new

Lost in the Jungle

the_taken

King of the Impossible
Reputation score
Re: Lost in the Jungle

Breastplate and Spellbook

We have magic for offence, with a sword for backup. What we like is armour. We're a bit squishy!

Also, option B. Let's go to town.

Last edited:

xgkf

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Breastplate & Spellbook, B. Protection + Spellpower, and I am indeed curious about this settlement.

Diagasvesle

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Hmmm...

Blow this whore out of the sky and run to the settlement to spread the death spores and to kill off everyone there.

Check to see if the Diamond that turns people invisibile, also turns anything that she is touching and mentally wants to turn invisible as well. Because if the diamond does this, then ask if it makes her invisible to all forms of sight, smell, and magical detection and what it does not make her invisible to. If the diamond basically makes her ghost and the only way to find her is to literally bump into her, take the deal.

If the diamond is just a cruddy 'Oh look! I'm invisible to only one kind of sight, piece of shit enchantment' go with the breastplate and the spellbook. Just make sure the organic matter that the spell book is made of does not get destroyed by the new powers of death touching. After all, wood/paper/whatever it is made out of is dead organic material. We really do not want to destroy one of our prizes do we? Make sure for the breastplate as well, theres bound to be some leather there that might go poof at our touch.

OP
Shadow

Shadow

Tentacle Monster
Reputation score

Hmmm...

Blow this whore out of the sky and run to the settlement to spread the death spores and to kill off everyone there.

Just make sure the organic matter that the spell book is made of does not get destroyed by the new powers of death touching. After all, wood/paper/whatever it is made out of is dead organic material. We really do not want to destroy one of our prizes do we? Make sure for the breastplate as well, theres bound to be some leather there that might go poof at our touch.
The decomposition powers we've just obtained are consciously controlled, there's no risk of touching a book and accidentally making it rot. :) I'm not even sure it's a very useful ability - you certainly wouldn't be able to use it on anything living, and say there's a dead tree blocking your path... it still wouldn't rot it very quickly, you'd have to have a few hours to spare. I kinda threw it in on a whim, really.

You certainly wouldn't be able to use it on anyone or anything living. Cordyceps aside (shudder - seriously, google it) fungi tend to only attack dead things.

I didn't think through the Diamond thing properly either, I'm afraid (damn it, you keep finding flaws!). However, when I was imagining it, I imagined it only to make you visually invisible. You'd still bang into to stuff. Still, being visually invisible could be incredibly useful in the right situations, I guess.

Diagasvesle

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

The decomposition powers we've just obtained are consciously controlled, there's no risk of touching a book and accidentally making it rot. :) I'm not even sure it's a very useful ability - you certainly wouldn't be able to use it on anything living, and say there's a dead tree blocking your path... it still wouldn't rot it very quickly, you'd have to have a few hours to spare. I kinda threw it in on a whim, really.

You certainly wouldn't be able to use it on anyone or anything living. Cordyceps aside (shudder - seriously, google it) fungi tend to only attack dead things.
Conscious use... So, she can, if the article of clothing is organic, strip people in naked with just a touch and leave while the people walking around will suddenly find themselves as naked as a newborn babe? (Hair is kinda dead as well, as well as the upper area of skin, so she can technically cause it to disappear.)

I didn't think through the Diamond thing properly either, I'm afraid (damn it, you keep finding flaws!). However, when I was imagining it, I imagined it only to make you visually invisible. You'd still bang into to stuff. Still, being visually invisible could be incredibly useful in the right situations, I guess.
But how invisible does the diamond make her? Hidden from heat vision? Hidden from being smelt? Hidden from detect life vision? Hidden from eyesight depended upon sound? Hidden from invisibility detectors?

Also, if we really want Eve to be broken, we could all vote for the shadow staff. Control of the dead? Is there no limitations? No range on it? Does that mean she can raise every dead thing that has ever died? Including viruses, bacteria, ancient dead things long forgotten, dead trees? If she can revive dead viruses, she can literally turn a whole town into a plague rotted area.

OP
Shadow

Shadow

Tentacle Monster
Reputation score

Conscious use... So, she can, if the article of clothing is organic, strip people in naked with just a touch and leave while the people walking around will suddenly find themselves as naked as a newborn babe? (Hair is kinda dead as well, as well as the upper area of skin, so she can technically cause it to disappear.)

But how invisible does the diamond make her? Hidden from heat vision? Hidden from being smelt? Hidden from detect life vision? Hidden from eyesight depended upon sound? Hidden from invisibility detectors?

Also, if we really want Eve to be broken, we could all vote for the shadow staff. Control of the dead? Is there no limitations? No range on it? Does that mean she can raise every dead thing that has ever died? Including viruses, bacteria, ancient dead things long forgotten, dead trees? If she can revive dead viruses, she can literally turn a whole town into a plague rotted area.
Ask yourself; does fungus grow on it under normal circumstances? That should answer most of the questions.

Invisible in the 'Visible light' portion of the electromagnetic spectrum. Let's say, for the sake of arguement, the Diamond's magic allows wavelengths of that size to pass though her body. Infra-red waves wouldn't pass through, but unless your fighting a giant snake (hey, there's an idea) it's not a massive problem.
People will still be able to smell you; your body is still physically there, so molecules will be capable of emanating from it.

The Shadow Staff only grants control over the dead of the species wielding it. OK, technically we're spirits, but as we're possessing a human, it'd allow us to control dead humans. If we were possessing a tentacle monster... I'm sure you get the idea.
It does have a limited effective range; it is most effective within a radius of 10m, and after that its control drops off rather sharply. If you have an undead minion within the radius, you could send them off on a mission somewhere else, but you wouldn't have the same amount of control over them as you would if you kept within range of them.

So, to recap:
- Diamond Jewel only makes you invisible to most eyes, you're still really there.
- Lustrous Pearl only works on men, not women (yeah, I felt this should have a weakness too).
- Shadow Staff has a limited range and only effects the species of the user.

On the bright side, they could all be very powerful if used in the right situation.
I'll either update later today or early tomorrow (my time) so try and get any changed votes (if indeed you want to change) in before then. :)

DeMatt

Lurker
Reputation score

Ehhh... I'll go with the Dagger and the Spellbook, and then vote for B - visiting the town.

Spellbook for sure. It's a tossup between the dagger and the breastplate, as far as I'm concerned. But I think the dagger will be of more general use than the breastplate - and then we can trade Eve's sword in for something else at the town.

OP
Shadow

Shadow

Tentacle Monster
Reputation score

Breastplate and Spell Book were the items chosen. :)

Option B) Visit the Town

----​

Handing the items over, the old woman smiles sweetly at Eve once more.
"I don't want to be rude," begins Eve "But did I hear you say something about a town?"
"Oh, yes, I'm on my way there just now. It lies to the East, in the giant clearing." she replies.
'May as well check it out.' Eve thinks, looking up at the sky - if the old woman can make it there, it can't be too far away... it must be possible to get there before nightfall.
Turning back, she goes to ask the woman how far it is to this settlement - only to find that she's vanished. No noise, no flash of light - just gone.
"Fascinating..." murmers Eve. "I wish I could do that."

The sky blazes a delightful orange color as the sun sets; the colour of fire dancing on an autumn leaf. Having applied the shiny, metal, protective, breastplate - it feels strangely cold to the touch - and resolved to read through the magic book when she has the time, Eve sets off once more into the jungle. Attractive, vibrant and buzzing the place may be, but blimey, it doesn't half go on. And on. And then on some more.

Anyway. Alert to danger from all sides - spirit boosted senses really help in that regard - Eve makes her way through the undergrowth. She spots danger several times, and takes the appropriate action: walking around the deadly PitcherPlant and Vine Wraps, ignoring the scent of SunFlu (there's more than a few carnivorous plants in this particular jungle) and skewering a Spiderlouse that was giving her some decidedly funny looks.
The sun sinks ever lower in the sky, and Eve starts to worry that she's not going to make it in time. It'd be risky having to sleep out in the open tonight...

Wait, what's that in the distance? With the dying light of the sun against her back, Eve peers through the trees and spots... what looks like a burning piece of a wood. Ah, it's a torch! Reinvigorated, Eve hurries forward, and finds herself in front of a gigantic wooden... pillar, at least double her height. Around it stretch even taller walls, also constructed completely from wood. Vines and weeds cling to the ground near the bottom of them, but mostly they rise smooth and proud - and judging by the battlements running across the top of them, they're pretty thick.

"Why, hello stranger!" cries a disembodied voice. Looking up, Eve sees that a hatch has opened within the main body of the... ah, it's a gate! A pair of cheerful-looking eyes are revealed.
"What brings a pretty thing like you to these parts?"
"The advice of a strange elderly lady." Eve replies, her tone completely deadpan. The eyes blink before recovering rapidly.
"Well, you look human to me! I guess you can come in. Welcome to Sealfryn!"

With a slow, ponderous groan, the gates creak open... to reveal a bustling, lively town. Everywhere Eve looks, people are pacing too and fro, bartering in front of stalls, hurrying along the wooden, cobbled streets, ducking into and out of buildings. The noise hits like a physical blow; vendors shouting out their prices, mothers screaming at children, the clatter of armor as a group of guards jog past.
With another creak, the gates swing shut behind her, although hardly anyone looks up from their commute. Looking up, Eve catches sight of watch-towers dotted at various points across the walls. Archers stand in them, seemingly peering through strange, cylindrical instruments at the jungle beyond. How they can see anything through the veil of trees is beyond Eve... perhaps magic is involved.
As Eve keeps walking forward, up a random street, she wonders how on Earth she didn't hear this place long before she got here. The smell should've given it away, too...
This question is soon resolved, however; a man, head down, mumbling to himself ("these new bloody guards, don't know the first thing about magical defenses, whatever next...") makes mention of wards, and it clicks - the whole town is protected by magical wards, keeping the noise, smell and sights all contained. Probably a good idea really, considering what lurks in the jungle...

Well. Now we're here we might as well explore!

----​

Option A) Visit the Inn and rest up for the night.
Option A2) Visit the Inn and spend a few hours getting pleasantly drunk.

Option B) No time for sleep! Let's find an arena and practice our skills!

Option C) Let's try and find the old woman from earlier, she might have more to tell us.

Option D) Let's find a library; perhaps we can find out more about the Temple where the Fountain is found.

Option E) Nah, let's leave this place, it looks boring.

Option F) Other.

HP: 50/50
MP: 80/110
Corruption: 47/1??

Spell list updated!

Fire Bolt I
Fire Bolt II
Fire Bolt III

Water Blast I
Water Blast II
Water Blast III

Thunderbolt I
Thunderbolt II
Thunderbolt III

Ice Shield I
Ice Shield II
Ice Shield III

(Ice Shield is an AoE spell; it summons a wall of icy spikes around the user that act as a barrier).

Heal Pulse I (5 HP for 10 MP)
Heal Pulse II (10 HP for 10 MP)
Heal Pulse III (20 HP for 15 MP)

Break Blast

- Bad Luck I
- Bad Luck II
- Arouse I
- Flexible Shadow I

Level I spells use 5 MP, Level II spells use 10 MP, Level III spells use 20 MP.
I'm not sure if that's how it worked before, but I'm going to retcon it to be like that because it's much easier for me to remember.
Level III spells are hugely powerful. You know the bird we fought earlier? A Level III would've fried him in one go, as opposed to the 'ow' that Thunderbolt I gave him.

xgkf

Tentacle God
Reputation score

D, then maybe A2 if D doesn't take too long.

GargantuaBlarg

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

D, then maybe find some people to grind for delicious jizz-corruption-xp.

the_taken

King of the Impossible
Reputation score

A2 By the time we find what we're looking for in the library, people will have already been hooking up and getting drunk and all that. Let's get to the tavern, rent a room, put all our adventuring equipment in there, fix up our hair, then hang out at the bar.

Once there, try to join group of other women a socialize. Wimpy-shy men and sharks will try and pick up isolated women, who look pathetic and lonely to begin with. But a man with balls will hit on a women in a pack of women, which is impressive.

Also, we'll score free drinks and maybe even food!

OP
Shadow

Shadow

Tentacle Monster
Reputation score

Perhaps not the correct place to ask it, but does anyone know where tora's gone? I miss TL:E. :(

Anyway, sorry about the delay.

Option D, trying to fit A2 in as well.

----​

With a quick stretch and a crack of the fingers, Eve sets off in search of a library. Knowledge is power, and all that - it's probably best to know a bit more about this evil Temple of doom before setting off and just wandering in blind.
Of course, finding a library is a bit trickier than you might expect in such a bustling place...

It truly is remarkable, thinks Eve, that so many people have chosen to live together so densely in the middle of such an inhospitable hell. Perhaps this is the product of just one tribe that kept growing, or maybe the residence here isn't permanent... it's just odd.
Although it does make a nice change, she has to admit. Walking down the wooden road, people rush past on either side, calling out or bartering with traders. No sign of any old women in knitted cardigans, thankfully. Shops and stalls line the buildings that surround the road, and even the buildings themselves seem to be made out of wooden bricks - well, it is the most common resource in this place, after all.
Upon passing an inn ("Premier Inn", the sign declares in large, purple writing) Eve is struck with a sudden urge to go inside and drink herself stupid - it'd be nice to unwind after all the recent trauma - but decides against it. It'd be easy enough to find her way back here, afterall, once she's found out what she needs.

Eventually, after some more walking and stopping to ask for directions only a few times (and an unpleasant incident involving a pick-pocketing street urchin) Eve makes it to what appears to be a library. At least, it's nowhere near as busy as every other building in this street, so she presumes it is a library. On entering, she sees her suspicions were correct - rows and rows of books, dusty and thick, stretch away from the front door into the gloom. A lady, sitting behind a front table of some kind, glances up briefly as Eve enters, then goes back to the book she's reading.
"Hi, I was wondering if you could help me?" says Eve, looking directly at what can only be the librarian... who doesn't bother looking up.
"Excuse m-" Eve begins, anger creeping into her voice - until she realises she can't even hear her voice. Looking around, a sign on the wall clarifies matters - "Silence has fallen for the benefit of our readers", it claims. Ah. Must be some kind of charm permeating the entire place. Nevermind.
Resigned, Eve picks a row at random, looking at the spines of all the books she passes. Hm, they all seem to be on the theme of geography... this is a promising start...
Aha! Lucky guess! One book - thick, dusty (kind of like the air itself in this dark and gloomy place) entitled "Temples of the Jungle Region" seems to be just the thing. Opening it, Eve scans the chapter list, and eventually finds what she's looking for. She begins to read:

'The Temple of Thought, wherein lies the Fountain of Knowledge, is not actually contained within Jungle itself. It is recorded here for the sake of completeness, however.

It lies to the extreme north of our local knowledge; the jungle ends and one must cross the Plain of Bones before reaching the Temple itself. Once there, there is only one entrance - a small hole in the ground, leading to a tunnel, itself guarded by a terrible monster. Once past that, the Temple is split into 7 layers, each self-contained, alternating between darkness and light. Each layer, or floor, contains a unique and terrible danger. Try not to die.
'

At this point, half the ceiling behind Eve collapses in a pile of burning rubble. She doesn't look up.

'Should you make it to the very top of the Temple - not likely - you will be faced with one simple choice.
Should you pass this test, one can simply-
'

The sound of distant screams and wailing begins to bleed through from the hole behind Eve - it's really very distracting. Annoyed, she looks up, and notices to her alarm that a great deal of the ceiling is now the floor. And on fire.
Wasting no time, she snaps the book shut, drops it to the floor, and clambers out of the building onto the roof, using the rubble as a make-shift ladder. Once out into the cold, night air - wow, that went quickly - she sees the towns people running, screaming, hiding in their houses. Chunks of burning - god knows what it is - fly through the air to land amongst the buildings, causing massive chaos and destruction. Guards sprint past on the streets below, calling out orders and rushing to man posts. One cries "The front gate! They're breaking through the front gate!" - right before half a flower shop collapses on top of him.
Behind the screaming and crying, however, Eve hears a different noise altogether - bestial cheers and snorts.

The battle is on.

----​

Option A) Run to the front of the town, and go into battle against the attackers.
Option B) Run to the front of the town, and strike down the defenders.
Option C) Run to the front of the town, then very bravely fight against the side that's loosing.
Option D) Run and hide, then emerge later to route whatever side looses.
Option E) Attempt to escape the town altogether, no point getting caught up in this fight.

HP: 50/50
MP: 85/110
Corruption: 49/1??

the_taken

King of the Impossible
Reputation score

They have siebe equipment/magic, it would be best not to engage them without knowing who they are. We have nothing against the towns folk, except maybe the weird library.

E Avoid a direct battle, but cut down anything attacking the villagers we meet.

xgkf

Tentacle God
Reputation score

C. For the lulz.

DeMatt

Lurker
Reputation score

I'm gonna go with A, with the proviso that we're a mage - we're artillery, we shouldn't be going to the FRONT lines.