What's new

Lia (Ranger9000)

OP
freeko

freeko

Banned
Reputation score
Re: Lia (Ranger9000)

Lia would learn a few things while she was in the castle this evening. The first was that the smith is likely a drunken idiot. Mistaking her for a knight? This was certainly the first she had ever heard of that tall tale. The second was that it seemed to just be a little bit of local trouble that ended up getting out of hand that caused some damage in the marketplace this morning. Even though there were probably hundreds of people around at the time of the incident, surprisingly no one seemed to have seen anything when Lia asked about.

The last thing was that there was going to be a jousting tournament in a few days time. This might possibly be a way for Lia to become a squire to Sir Grigor if she could play her cards right. Then again, Lia had no idea if Sir Grigor was even taking part in the tournament at all. What mattered to Lia it seemed was that she had made her decision that she wanted to start down the path of becoming a knight.

All in all, it might well have been a good day. The other farmhands seemed like they were ready to pack it in to head back to the farm for the night as the sun started to come down. Lia would notice this and hitch a ride back with the rest of the farmhands. Just to be safe, she would get off a ways before the cart got back from the farm just to avoid getting into any unneccesary trouble.

Likely at this point Lia would simply head off to the barn where she would normally sleep in, though there was certainly still some time left for trying to get a few small things done before the night was over.

Ranger9000

Tentacle God
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Having returned back to the farm, with a day reasonably well spen, Lia would head for the barn. The girl heading to sleep in a time honoured method of getting time to pass as fast as possible. She'd talk to Sir Grigor tommorow and she was already anticipating the days to come.

OP
freeko

freeko

Banned
Reputation score

Lia would fairly quickly call it a night. Having a look at the board after she woke up, there was nothing that seemed to look different about it. Knowing there was no real chance to talk to Sir Grigor before lunch, she would set off to complete her morning task.

Lia vs DC4 - 5 - Pass

Lia seemed a bit distracted by what she had in mind for the rest of the day. It was not enough to cause any real trouble, but it did seem to get in the way and cause a few minor errors here and there. Still at the end of it all, the job was done. Maybe if she were to have concentrated a little better on the task at hand instead of look toward what was going to happen later, this could have gone better.

Now that the meal chime was heard, Lia would go toward the farmhouse. This was going to be her first real chance to talk to Sir Grigor. Lia would need to take the initiative here and be noticed. Sir Grigor was generally busy with things and unless there was a problem that needed to be addressed, like the money being short from the cart carrying the morning goods yesterday. There was little that he would do to interact with the farmhands. The way he saw it, they had their job and he had his.

Lia could certainly go about the rest of her day and then attempt to talk to Sir Grigor at that point. What she would choose to do at this point would affect the rest of her day potentially.

Ranger9000

Tentacle God
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Lia would have some issues with the cows, nothing to bad though, just a few small mistakes. She got it all done for meal time so all was good. She pondered if she wanted to go talk to Sir Grigor right now, or later tonight, from what voices told her she'd have to go actually find the knight if she wanted to get anything done.

After a bit of indecision, she decided to go talk to Sir Grigor now, procrastinating probably wouldn't help after all, searching for the knight to ask him about becoming a squire.

OP
freeko

freeko

Banned
Reputation score

Lia would opt to try to rid herself of the elephant on her back and attempt to talk to Sir Grigor during the mid day meal time. Having been seemingly distracted during her morning tasks, she felt that this was the best way to proceed. Having eaten a fairly quick meal, Lia would wait for the cart to come back from the morning venture to the castle. If yesterday was any indication, this would be her opportune moment.

As the cart arrives back on the farm, Sir Grigor and Kohar were both out to meet Levon and Lusine. It seemed that Sir Grigor was pleased with how things had gone today. If there were an opening, this would be it.

How would Lia approach?

Ranger9000

Tentacle God
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Lia would see that Sir Grigor was in a good mood over how the mornings sails turned out, which was good cause that would probably make this easier. Really she was quite nervous about going around this, for all she knew she might cause offense.

She'd wait till after the knight had finished directly talking to the two farmhands, but before he could make an escape somewhere, and she'd give him a curtsy and ask, "Sir Grigor may I have a moment of you're time to ask you about something?"

If nothing else, Lia was unfailingly polite.

OP
freeko

freeko

Banned
Reputation score

Roll: Lia vs DC6 - 11 Much Win

Lia tried to kill Sir Grigor with kindness. It was quite effective as Sir Grigor seemed to be quite approachable for the time being.

(Not really sure where you want to go with this, so go for it. You certainly have his attention, and it seems to be going good for you.)

Ranger9000

Tentacle God
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Okay off to a great start, she hoped the night would be much more agreeable to her question now. Straightening back up she'd continue, "I was wondering Sir if you could train me as a squire? I want to try to become a knight eventually.

OP
freeko

freeko

Banned
Reputation score

Capitalizing on her earlier success, it seemed to be that Sir Grigor was open to the idea.

"I will be participating in a jousting tournament in four days time from now. You probably have known about that, but if you want to come along and see what it is like to be a squire for a knight. You may do so.

After that, you can make your decision if you want to continue. However once you choose that path, you will not be able to go back."

The way Sir Grigor was talking, it was as if he doubted Lia's resolve. However the path of becoming a squire was certainly now open for Lia to see if she wanted to give it a go. Lia could possibly try to press her luck and see if she could start now and forego the wait until the tournament. On the other hand, maybe simply having a look inside that world would be enough to show her that it was not the path she wanted to travel.

Lia would look around a little in passing and start to realize that the other farm hands were starting to break up and go about the beginning of their mid-day tasks. Since Lia did not have any evening tasks, she could delay somewhat her starting on the chicken coop to continue this conversation.

Ranger9000

Tentacle God
RP Moderator
Reputation score

That sounded like a reasonable idea to Lia, it would give her the chance to see if she liked the idea and four days wouldn't be too long to wait. Maybe she'd actually find the farming to be a nicer work then the squiring, though she doubted that. So she would nod and say, "I have heard about it yes, and your idea sounds good to me sir, I look forward to seeing you joust. Now may I take my leave?"

If the knight dismissed her from the conversation, she would go back to complete her task with the chickens. Having gotten rid of the tension in her shoulders she was resisting bouncing in excitement as she went about the task.

OP
freeko

freeko

Banned
Reputation score

Lia would not tempt fate and attempt to try to push things more. Seemingly content with what she would get from Sir Grigor, Lia just now had to go about her daily duties and not do anything silly. That being said, Sir Grigor would dismiss her to her mid-day duties.

Roll:

Lia vs DC5 - 3 - Fail
Confirm Fail: - 8 - Pass

Maybe it was just not to be for Lia? The chickens seemed to be on a warpath and would relentlessly peck at her as if to chastise her for being late into the chicken coop to take care of them. Lia was at least able to start focusing on where she was and what she was doing after getting her shins turned into pin cushions.

As the night would wear on, Neral would even come in to help Lia out as she noticed that Lia had not finished. Neral figured that Lia usually tried to go into the castle at night with them and had wandered off to find her. No real harm was done, but Lia would certainly start to learn what might well be the first lesson. No task was too small that it did not require the focus and determination to complete properly.

With the rest of the night left and Lia able to do as she pleased, it was up to her now to see how she spent it. Neral would take her with her in the cart into the castle if Lia so desired, or if Lia had something else in mind?

Last edited:

Ranger9000

Tentacle God
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Lia's battle with the chickens might have been worthy of story, a very bland story, but one none the less. In the future she would have to remember to pay attention no matter how easy the job.

When she finally finished, she decided she wasn't going to go into town, she still didn't really have enough money to do much there outside the tavern. Instead she decided she'd go look around the farm annd the area around it. Maybe even get a closer glance at the forest, not go into it mind you, but see how it looked.

(OOC: Sorry for the big delay, had a busy week)

OP
freeko

freeko

Banned
Reputation score

(No worries, I was at a LARP all weekend myself.)

Lia would thank Neral for the help, and wish her well as she waved her off into the castle. Now left to her own devices, Lia would do a little exploring. Already familar with the chicken coop and the cow barn, Lia would see a little more of the farm area that she may not be familiar with. There was a grazing area for the cows, and that was where the cows currently were with Lusine watching over them. It would seem that Lusine was responsible for herding them back into their stalls at night for Lia to feed and milk them in the morning.

As she would walk about some more, she would see Levon tending to the horses. Working on horseshoes and a few parts of saddles it would seem as well. Sir Grigor's colors and standards could be seen along the walls as well as a few weapons like polearms and spears most likely meant to be used when mounted on a horse.

Takhoui and Anush could be seen among the crop fields watering them and pulling weeds. You recall Nerek would usually be in the fields during the morning pulling crops that were ripe and Takhoui would also be there planting new crops right around the time after everyone was done gathering for lunch. The pigs seemed to be unattended for the time being, though they generally just seemed to keep to their own pen for the most part anyway.

Little of this really interested Lia, but it was something that she would maybe want to remember. Her first lesson having been learned about keeping her attention where it needed to be, maybe if she noticed that a task were not finished then she could attempt to help in some way in those areas.

What did interest Lia however was that there was a forest surrounding the farm to the south. Maybe just a walk along some of the horse paths would be a nice change of pace she thought. Clearing her mind was certainly worth the time just wandering about the edge of the farm land along the cart paths. What felt like just a few short moments ended up being a few hours.

As Lia would walk almost around the whole perimeter of the farm before she noticed the sun starting to set. The forest, at least from a distance, certainly did not seem like it was anything special. Though if Lia were to tempt fate and attempt to go in, it would be very late in the day to attempt to do so today. Possibly another day she would start to get closer and see if these tales of the forest were true. With the sun visibly starting to set, Lia would feel that her time was fairly well spent. At least nothing went wrong with animals getting out of their pens and the like. Another fairly ordinary day was coming to a close at the farm.

With this, Lia could see if there was anyone still working and might need her help. She could certainly just head back to the cow barn and call it a night if she so desired as well. There was still an hour or so before the darkness would set in, so if she had anything in mind that she wanted to do there was still a little bit of time before she would either have to rely on torches being lit or the moonlight to see.

Ranger9000

Tentacle God
RP Moderator
Reputation score

With a parting thank you, Lia would see Neral off and then go off on her examination of the forest. She'd see a few other people still working as she headed to the perimeter of the property, and she'd walk along the cart paths between the farm and the forest. She'd didn't arrive in time to actually go into the forest itself, or give it more then a distance examination, she'd have to try to finish her work early one day and head out here so she could see if the rumours were true about it.

An afternoon reasonably well spent, Lia would head back to the farm, and she decided that she would go around and see if anyone needed help still with their jobs. If they did she'd throw in and help, if no one needed any assistance, she'd head back to the barn, looking to get to bed early.

OP
freeko

freeko

Banned
Reputation score

Lia would play it smart and head back before the dark of night would set in. Simply calling it a night before either finding trouble or worse, trouble finding her. With now only two more days before the tournament would begin, Lia would again go about her morning chores in the cow barn. There was a feeling that did not seem to want to leave Lia, like she was missing something or overlooking a minute detail somewhere. Maybe not the best work she had ever done, but it went off without a hitch. That counted for something.

With the meal chime sounding, Lia would have a chance to do something or just try to get through the days leading into the tournament with as little variation as possible. Maybe she could see if there were a way to train herself in combat or other methods a squire might find themselves needing to learn? Lia had some options open to her if she desired. It would not be a stretch to think that she may not know many of them without some level of exploration into things.

(If you want to just "fast forward" to the tournament, let me know)

Ranger9000

Tentacle God
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Lia would try to figure out what she wanted to do for the rest of the week until the tournament. She had an urge to go try to explore the woods again, the area seeming to draw her thoughts like a moth to light, but she figured that if she without atleast a weapon to defend herself, she would likely be in a pretty bad situation. Still, the urge was there, and if she felt she could get away with some light forest exploration, she would probably take it.

Otherwise she would try to train herself in her spare time, trying some exercises and getting a stick to use as a practice sword, until it came time too the tournament.

(Timeskip unless there is possibility of light forest explorations/minor encounters that aren't highly likely to result in a game over :p)

OP
freeko

freeko

Banned
Reputation score

Lia would finally start to realize that the thing that was distracting her was the forest simply calling out to her. As she would start to leave the gathering at meal time for her mid day task, Sir Grigor would pull her aside.

"If you are serious about this, I would suggest that you take a weapon from the horse barn and consider going into the forest for short periods of time. If you can handle that, then there would be little that I would need to do for training you going forward. You would already have that which you need."

With this, Lia did not entirely understand what Sir Grigor was talking about. Though the part about having his blessing to go into the forest may really be the only part that she really needed to hear. The idea alone was enough to get Lia excited. With this fog seemingly lifted from her mind, it was just a matter of blowing through what needed to be done.

Lia was able to navigate the chickens with little issue. Not exactly the best she has done, but nothing went wrong either. A success to be sure. Like a flash of light, Lia was on her way to the horse barn with her tasks done for the day. As she walked inside, she would see a familiar face.

Sir Grigor was there along with a few weapons laid out. It seems Lia was going to get a lesson weather she wanted one or not.

"On a horse, you want to have a lance. The lances over here, (as he points toward a jousing lance) are not meant to be used on foot. You are likely almost better fighting with a stick instead of these. However a pike like this one I am going to give you would be well suited for combat on foot."

With this, Lia would be given a temporary weapon courtesy of Sir Grigor. A halberd that had a shaft about the same length that Lia was tall there was a pretty clear distinction toward where it would be held and the business end of the weapon.

"I won't hold back any. If you want to spar some before you head into the woods, go for it. If you can land a hit against me, I will be quite impressed."

(5 rounds of combat at -3, no risk of being countered or damaged in a real way)

"No matter what, come nightfall I want you back here. You still have a purpose to serve and a job to do. I will not be pleased if I have to go into there and have to find you at night. You may want to bring a few supplies with you so go get your backpack before you leave to go into the forest."

With this, Lia could go into the forest. If she chose to spar with Sir Grigor or not would be completely up to her.

Ranger9000

Tentacle God
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Lia would certainly not mind Sir Grigor's statements, she would get a chance to explore the forest, get a weapon of her own, and get a chance to train a bit. With her duties with the chickens done, she would take the halberd and nod to the knight.

I will be back before nightfall, but I would like to spar first my lord. So that I can get a feel for the weapon before I go try the forest.

With that, if Sir Grigor was ready, she would attempt to put the halberd into a ready stance that she remembered from the few manuals she had gotten her hands on and squared off against the knight.

Once the sparring was done she would head for the woods, eager for her first real adventure.

Last edited:
OP
freeko

freeko

Banned
Reputation score

(Yay, this ridiculous holiday crap is finally over with...)

Lia would grab herself a polearm and start to spar with the Knight who clearly outclassed her.

Rolls:
Lia: 8(-3) - 9 Knight - Miss
Lia: 7(-3)- 4 Knight - Hit
Lia: 9(-3)- 12 Knight - Counter
Lia: 4(-3)- 5 Knight - Miss
Lia: 7(-3)- 7 Knight - Miss

Lia would look clearly out of place against a skilled warrior like Sir Grigor. That of course was not going to stop her. The knight knew that Lia was not going to do any real damage to her, so he would refrain from attacking Lia directly.

The first attempt at an attack was fairly easily deflected by the Knight. However Lia would follow up with an attack that took Sir Grigor by surprise and they would pause for a second after Lia tagged him on the shoulder.

"Well done. Not any single one of the other farmhands was ever able to touch me. Maybe this is what you were meant for."

With that, Lia would get a little reckless and the Knight would knock her on her ass after making such a clumsy attack.

"Don't get too excited that you hit me. You get lazy like that against a real opponent and you could well end up in a box."

After picking herself up, Lia would continue with a few more attacks that had little effect. Not being able to hit Sir Grigor again before they decided that enough was enough.

"Just remember to be back before night fall."

With that, Lia had the rest of the day to go into the woods and explore. What she would or could find in there was a complete mystery.

Lia: 5/5 FP, 0/10 AP

Ranger9000

Tentacle God
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Lia managed a single hit, which she already figured counted for about as much success as she was going to get. Unfortunately she got overconfident and she'd find herself on the ground after taking a counter attack from Sir Grigor. With a nod she'd pick herself up and fight more cautiously, which resulted in her failing to land another blow, but still.

When the training ended she'd say excitedly, Yes my lord, in response to being reminded to be back before nightfall. Once she was dismissed she would go and grab a backpack and pack some basic supplies, before taking the bag and her polearm off to the woods, wondering just what the first enemy she'd encounter on her adventure would be.