What's new

In today's news...

Hopeyouguess62

Has a penis diamiter of 4.5cm
RP Moderator
Reputation score
Re: In today's news...

Personally, I think the Norwegian laws are too timid... They're the international equivalent of the teacher saying she will have a dialogue with the parents of the bully beating kids bloody in the schoolyard...

Just do a search for Norwegian prisons on Google...
I did Google it, actually... and the articles seem to indicate that the system actually works. I wish we had a similar system in America -- it might reduce the repeat offenders, and furthermore I agree with the sentiments of one of the jail's instructors who was quoted as saying, "If I was told that my new neighbours were going to be newly released prisoners I would far rather they had spent the last years of their sentence working in Bastoy than rotting in a conventional prison."

Lurker
Reputation score

The American prison system kind of doesn't give a fuck. Everyone gets thrown in the general population and is left to fend for themselves. This usually means that you are jailed for a short period of time for a relatively minor offense, and by the time you get out your exposure to "prison culture" has made you meaner, more aggressive, and more likely to be arrested on more serious charges. There's numbers for this somewhere, I'm sure. There is evidence that a reform based program works better than a punishment based one, but it's theorized that until there's as much money in it a change will not come.

Hopeyouguess62

RP Moderator
Reputation score

My point exactly. The Norwegian reform or "cushy" prison actually costs less than any other prison they operate. I don't think it's the money, I think it's our culture of "revenge against those bad, bad men."

Wonderboy

Lurker
Reputation score

Well, I do think the Norwegian prison system works for a lot of things, but I have a problem with the fact that the people that are in for rape get generally better living quarters than I get as a paying member of society. They also get about four hundred dollars per month as compensation for "lost work." It annoys me, especially when we have cases of immigrants doing unlawful things to go to prison here.

On purpose.

Just because the life behind our bars is so comfortable, they get paid, free food, free education, (I agree with education), free housing in very nice rooms. And so on...

Hopeyouguess62

RP Moderator
Reputation score

Well, I do think the Norwegian prison system works for a lot of things, but I have a problem with the fact that the people that are in for rape get generally better living quarters than I get as a paying member of society. They also get about four hundred dollars per month as compensation for "lost work." It annoys me, especially when we have cases of immigrants doing unlawful things to go to prison here.

On purpose.

Just because the life behind our bars is so comfortable, they get paid, free food, free education, (I agree with education), free housing in very nice rooms. And so on...
I've got a couple of friends at my job who used to be prison guards, and they told me a little about life on the inside. Showers aside, I still don't think I'd ever want to be a guest at a prison, even the "cushy" Norwegian reform resort. That said, if the US were to institute a similar program, this is a small montage of the types of people who I think should STILL go to hard prison...

And a shorter montage of people who should go to the cushy resort type:

Nunu

Despot
Former Admin
Reputation score

I think Michael Jackson is for more of a retard than a peadophile.

Hopeyouguess62

RP Moderator
Reputation score

I think Michael Jackson is for more of a retard than a pedophile.
Well it does take a "special" person to wear a Captain Crunch uniform into a courtroom. :rolleyes:

ToxicShock

(And Reputation Manager)
Staff member
Administrator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

You do realize that two of the three pictures you posted of people who deserve minimum security prison were innocent?

Hopeyouguess62

RP Moderator
Reputation score

Innocent but convicted in a court of law. Of course I'm aware, I'm a cinephile. :) Of course, if they were guilty of the crimes they had committed (murder in both cases, rape in one) then they should probably go to the bad prison.

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Um... what? How can someone be pregnant 2 weeks before conception? This shit just does not make sense, and is another law attempting to take power and control from women.

super_slicer

Lord High Inquisitor
Staff member
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Soon they'll be putting women in jail for being pregnant, so they can't abort those fetuses!

I swear, the amount of trouble all these crazies cause is almost enough to make you THINK they actually gave a shit about life once it's outside the womb.

Obsidious

Evard's Tentacles of Forced Intrusion
Reputation score

Sometimes I get the impression that most republicans are religious fundamentalists.
Though, that's probably just me being as ignorant as the average republican presidential candidate...

Hopeyouguess62

RP Moderator
Reputation score

The government needs to keep its hands off a woman's body. I don't condone abortion as a general rule, but I think it's important to recognize two important facts. First, it has a time and place when it could be considered appropriate, especially in cases of rape and times when the birth might present serious health risks to the mother. Second and more importantly, abortion existed long before it was made legal in the US. The only practical difference was that young women who belonged to conservative families felt forced into seeking out quacks to perform back-alley abortions with coat hangers and other makeshift, unsanitary equipment.

I don't approve of or condone abortion as a healthy solution to the inconvenience of pregnancy, but I don't see a way to prevent the right from being abused without denying the right to everyone. And yes, I said it was a right.

Wonderboy

Lurker
Reputation score

That... That's just insane...

I honestly don't get how a country in the developed world, can be so incredibly stupid. Yes, I said stupid. Your own personal views of the morals of abortion and so on, I get that, even though it's completely ridiculous too. The reason this is stupid is that much of this goes against established medical fact, causality, and it also undermines the medicines used.

I know that America used to be the land of freedom. And if some random person, say, an atheist, were to come into a church in his local neighborhood with a few other atheists, and force the Christians inside to burn bibles. That would be horrible.

And here they're kinda doing the same thing. They're shoving their own views of something down the throats of others and taking away their freedom.
I HATE THIS SHIT!

(You know, since this is happening on many levels, in many states.)

Hopeyouguess62

RP Moderator
Reputation score

I've never claimed to support or understand the extremely religious or conservative, especially those that push their beliefs upon others. Personally I find this bill appalling.

Then again, there is a reason that some people live in some states, and other people live in other states. If you want to live in a gay-marriage state, you move there. If you want an abortion-free state, you move there. If you REALLY want to affect the way things work, you take a more active stance in the politics of a place you disagree with. That requires effort, however, something that many are sadly lacking. Many people would sooner whine than help bring about changes.

I find your categorization belittling and insulting. We may not be as enlightened as some countries, but for every step backwards our country takes I believe we take two more forwards. Our women are treated far better than women in quite a few other countries, including China, the Middle East, Japan and Russia, to name a few.

You also called my ideas regarding the matter ridiculous. I'm kind of curious what you meant by that, but you didn't bother to back up your statement with, maybe, why you find my ideas ridiculous.

But I'm just a simple man, and this issue is really one that should be decided by women in my opinion. The fact that both the State Representative and Governor who pushed and signed this legislation are women gives me some pause in judging them.

And finally I will point out that for the past decade or so, more women have attended college than men in the US. That means that they not only have an extra vote, but eventually they might begin to dominate our politics. Which is fine -- they can argue about war and the budget, and wear suits and wrangle about issues like abortion and gay marriage all day long. I actually look forward to my future work as a stay-at-home daddy and househusband. :D

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

The fact that both the State Representative and Governor who pushed and signed this legislation are women gives me some pause in judging them.
I'm judging them even harder because they are women. Women making things go backward for women is not cool.

handofdoz

Lurker
Reputation score

treat them fairly, take out the fact that they are women or men saying this. it shouldn't matter either way in my opinion.

Nunu

Despot
Former Admin
Reputation score

You also called my ideas regarding the matter ridiculous. I'm kind of curious what you meant by that, but you didn't bother to back up your statement with, maybe, why you find my ideas ridiculous.
Because the sentance where he said that makes no sense, i can only assume that he meant something else and the sentance got away from him.

I find your categorization belittling and insulting. We may not be as enlightened as some countries, but for every step backwards our country takes I believe we take two more forwards. Our women are treated far better than women in quite a few other countries, including China, the Middle East, Japan and Russia, to name a few.
to do with america... I reject your reality and substitute my own!

At the end of the days neither of these things speak of america as a whole, and australia has its own fair share. America has more though and they tend to be worse, I make no assertations with that, it's just what i've observed. Before anyone else makes assertations with that, both things probably came from the same places and people.

Hopeyouguess62

RP Moderator
Reputation score

I'm judging them even harder because they are women. Women making things go backward for women is not cool.
And I respect that opinion as it comes from you, and you are a woman. :)

treat them fairly, take out the fact that they are women or men saying this. it shouldn't matter either way in my opinion.
Nothing is fair about a pregnant woman's situation. The woman (a) has to carry the child, (b) has to endure all the stares and questions from people, (c) has to explain it to her family, (d) has the potential for injury, (e) has to miss work and (f) has to actually go into labor and give birth. The man? He might get stuck with child support, if the woman can hire a good lawyer. :rolleyes:

Soooo yeah. I think the nearest we can come to "fair" is leaving THIS choice up to the woman.

Kusanagi

Chief Nippleseer
Reputation score

The larger the group, the more idiots there are.
And the idiots are the loudest.

Wow. So, okay, I think those ladies have been out in the Arizona heat too damn long.