What's new

In today's news...

Kusanagi

Chief Nippleseer
Reputation score
Re: In today's news...

I was going to put this in the videos thread, but figured I'd better put it here instead, in case it gets people talking.

ALSO:
Ohohohoho, I VERY much doubt the President WANTS to hear from anyone right now. Or at least, he'll regret it later.

Last edited:

Hand Solo

Demon Girl
Reputation score

I was going to put this in the videos thread, but figured I'd better put it here instead, in case it gets people talking.

ALSO:
Ohohohoho, I VERY much doubt the President WANTS to hear from anyone right now. Or at least, he'll regret it later.
YES!!!! That video was so awesome!!!!! That PERFECTLY describes what I have been trying to explain to my friends and family about the copyright laws and the issues surrounding them. I will be passing this link around at other sights. Thank you very much!

Caulder

Is completely fucking irrelevant. And he's a bitch
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Anonymous has announced their next operation. #OpUkraine.

super_slicer

Lord High Inquisitor
Staff member
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Really? because having that many stray dogs roaming the streets sounds pretty horrible to me. I'm not saying it's ok to just kill them all, but what else can they do? Granted the driving reason for it is something silly, but if I lived there I wouldn't care about the reason, I'd just be happy the streets were being cleaned up a little. And remember, stray dogs get pretty damn mean.

Didn't watch the video because I don't have time to wait for it to load right now.

Kusanagi

Chief Nippleseer
Reputation score

Really? because having that many stray dogs roaming the streets sounds pretty horrible to me. I'm not saying it's ok to just kill them all, but what else can they do? Granted the driving reason for it is something silly, but if I lived there I wouldn't care about the reason, I'd just be happy the streets were being cleaned up a little. And remember, stray dogs get pretty damn mean.

Didn't watch the video because I don't have time to wait for it to load right now.
The President of the Ukraine has been offered help from various animal rights groups who want to help get those dogs off the streets and hopefully into homes around the world. Instead, he claims it would be too costly to start an animal rescue program, and then proceeds to buy a 20,000 dollar mobile creamatorium. Because, you know, a creamatorium is NECESSARY. And, uh, no, it really isn't necessary, it's a convenience. As morbid as this may sound to some, there are cheaper ways of disposing of the bodies, even if you still want to burn them to ashes.

Yes, strays can be mean. There are also perfectly loveable and friendly ones as well. Hell, some of the 'mean' ones wind up getting pretty loveable and friendly once they realize they don't have to fight for their meals every day.

Hentaispider

Lord of the Tap Dance \oO.Oo/ (And Reputation Mana
Staff member
Administrator
Reputation score

The President of the Ukraine has been offered help from various animal rights groups who want to help get those dogs off the streets and hopefully into homes around the world. Instead, he claims it would be too costly to start an animal rescue program, and then proceeds to buy a 20,000 dollar mobile creamatorium. Because, you know, a creamatorium is NECESSARY. And, uh, no, it really isn't necessary, it's a convenience. As morbid as this may sound to some, there are cheaper ways of disposing of the bodies, even if you still want to burn them to ashes.

Yes, strays can be mean. There are also perfectly loveable and friendly ones as well. Hell, some of the 'mean' ones wind up getting pretty loveable and friendly once they realize they don't have to fight for their meals every day.
20 000 dollars. Do you realize how little that actually is? Assuming it serves even a few thousand animals, it's still only dollars per animal. And yet people are talking about it like the price is significant.

As for finding homes for them, well...how many animals does your local shelter have? How many of them will be put down because no new owner can be found? There are more dogs than there are people willing to take care of them, even if you count the ones who have more than one. You think caging those dogs and shipping them to the other side of the world only for most of them to be put down would be more humane than killing them right away, especially considering that there are already dogs that need an owner right there.

I'm not saying that what is being done is a good thing, but if you want an alternative, come up with something better than "Let's ship them to other countries so that they can be given homes and ignore all the animals in animal shelters, since they're not as good for PR"

super_slicer

Lord High Inquisitor
Staff member
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Completely on the money HS.

This seems to be one of those situations that doesn't have a morally good solution.

The Ukraine definately should sponsor a pet seriliztion program though. This kind of problem doesn't happen overnight, and it's completely within our control to prevent it.

Lol, original video's not allowed in the US because of copyright bullshit

Chibichibi

Big Sis
Reputation score

Completely on the money HS.

This seems to be one of those situations that doesn't have a morally good solution.

The Ukraine definately should sponsor a pet seriliztion program though. This kind of problem doesn't happen overnight, and it's completely within our control to prevent it.

Lol, original video's not allowed in the US because of copyright bullshit
The Catch Neuter Release program in the US is starting to work on our feral cat and dog problems.

So, you're right. It wouldn't work overnight. But it's a good solution to keep the problem from happening again.

Kusanagi

Chief Nippleseer
Reputation score

Haven't looked into this myself yet, and it smells a bit like conspiracy theory, but the article does raise suspicion.

Eye

Tentacle Monster
Reputation score

Haven't looked into this myself yet, and it smells a bit like conspiracy theory, but the article does raise suspicion.

It was shut down because they were criminals.

That's it.

Kusanagi

Chief Nippleseer
Reputation score

Oh, I don't doubt the illegality of the activities that were going on. I do, however, question the timing.

super_slicer

Lord High Inquisitor
Staff member
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Filehosting sites have been skirting the edge of destruction for years. I'd guess something like 80% of thier buisness relys on pirated material. And with the laziness that's been going on lately, people not even bothering to change the names of the files or password them, I'm actually surprised this didn't happen sooner.

Kusanagi

Chief Nippleseer
Reputation score

Decided to put this here since it relates to SOPA/PIPA.

A little late, due to their schedule, but I think Extra Credits' episode about SOPA and PIPA is still worth checking out.

Nunu

Despot
Former Admin
Reputation score

Filehosting sites have been skirting the edge of destruction for years. I'd guess something like 80% of thier buisness relys on pirated material. And with the laziness that's been going on lately, people not even bothering to change the names of the files or password them, I'm actually surprised this didn't happen sooner.
i'm pretty sure copyright law actualy states that you are not liable for what people put on your sites unless you refuse to take it down. I dont actualy know the legal presidence for shutting megaupload down much less arresting the owners.

Kusanagi

Chief Nippleseer
Reputation score

Posting this video and article in two places so that regulars and hopefully hentai section lurkers as well will see this, in case they didn't already know:
Ireland and the EU will apparently be signing the ACTA treaty tomorrow. They need to be told, shown, etc. that this will NOT stand.

Last edited:

super_slicer

Lord High Inquisitor
Staff member
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

i'm pretty sure copyright law actualy states that you are not liable for what people put on your sites unless you refuse to take it down. I dont actualy know the legal presidence for shutting megaupload down much less arresting the owners.

Neither do I. However they're all but promoting piracy (at least that is the way I see it) and I'm sure that's put a bug up someone's ass.

Lol, soon it will be illegal to even talk about piracy. :D

Lurker
Reputation score

Neither do I. However they're all but promoting piracy (at least that is the way I see it) and I'm sure that's put a bug up someone's ass.

Lol, soon it will be illegal to even talk about piracy. :D
I have never seen megaupload advertise anything outside their own site.

Eye

Tentacle Monster
Reputation score

It's this logic that keeps Mediafire safe with it's business model.

You see, Megaupload and many of these file sharing sites made money off of people by encouraging pirating and uploading copyrighted material, even offering rewards for it. Megaupload actually did some money laundering as made hundreds of millions by using copyrighted material. Many of these other sites are doing a similar scam and freaked out because they know the US law is serious now and they most likely have servers in the states as well.

Mediafire? They have a clean business model, they even said it up front. Even though people use their service for pirating from time to time, they don't encourage it and have been trying to create new legal services for major businesses.

Kusanagi

Chief Nippleseer
Reputation score

WELP, I still don't like ACTA, but at least I understand it a little better now... I think... BRAIN HURT.

ALSO: From the stop-shooting-yourself-in-the-foot department:

Last edited: