What's new

Chibichibi

Big Sis
Reputation score
Re: Hate Thread

It's gone to the Senate apparently.

This would even hit fanfiction in the face. It's copyrighted material.

DarkFire1004

Tentacle Goddess of the H-Section
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reputation score

Interesting read here. I don't feel like I have the full scope of this issue, so I can't really form an opinion yet though. Apparently there needs to be proof that the alleged offender had an intention on infringing copyright laws. Therefore Youtube is a little more safe since a lot of the copyright material on Youtube is primarily to entertain, not make a buck.

But like I said, I don't know enough to make any conclusive statements.

Alias

Lurker
Reputation score

Making it even more stupid, unless somebody's invented a mind-reader that I'm not aware of

Host

Lurker
Reputation score

Apparently there needs to be proof that the alleged offender had an intention on infringing copyright laws. Therefore Youtube is a little more safe since a lot of the copyright material on Youtube is primarily to entertain, not make a buck.
I don't have any more time to actually read up on this, but: 'intention of infringing copyright laws', and 'intention of infringing copyright laws for profit' are two different things. Simple copying and displaying for no gain still infringes the basic copyright law as I believe it stands in the US (though again, I would like to check this but haven’t). If the above is what the bill actually includes, then the following would be true:

If a person posted a video on YouTube and didn't realise it was copyrighted by someone else, then they would be fine… but a person who posts a video to YouTube while realising that it is copyrighted would by guilty.

DarkFire1004

Tentacle Goddess of the H-Section
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reputation score

The for-profit thing was my own assumption, I should've noted. But in either case, I think you're right. And like Alias said, unless the US government discovered how to read minds, this is a very ineffective law that'll cause more problems than solutions.

OAMP

Turtle Poker
Reputation score

I bet this is the work of Jon "not a factual statement" Kyl. I noticed he's on that committee. He has something against the internet after that little fiasco. Don't worry, tons of crap goes through committee, it won't pass, especially with the rep controlled house and dem controlled senate.

lurker

Hentai Master
Reputation score

It's gone to the Senate apparently.

This would even hit fanfiction in the face. It's copyrighted material.
What... wait- what?!?

THE FUCK IS THIS SHIT!!!

Kusanagi

Chief Nippleseer
Reputation score

I understand that people don't want their copyrighted material being passed around for free when there's money to be had.

HOWEVER. This..... 'bill', is shit.

They can try all they want to say that it won't affect the average person given that they don't willfully post copyrighted material, but I GUARANTEE that people will abuse the FUCK out of the vagueness of this law to go after anyone and everyone they can. Because people are greedy fuckers.

lurker

Hentai Master
Reputation score

My father brought up a interesting point today, and also the simularity of this bill and Hippo's Law (at least I think it's the name). It's basic ghist is ya need a certain form of concent so that others can see your medical information, and was originally targeted for 14 year olds getting abortions. Nowadays though, ya need a court order as a officer to know how pissed a DUI was after he hit someone.

However, in regard to this copyright bill:

A. Technically, this post, this written statement, is copywrited to me for life+70 years, as soon as I hit the 'Submit' button.
B. IF this bill goes to effect, it would include the works of Mark Twain, Shakespere, and other legendary authors and playwrites.
C. This guy technically shouldn't' be quoting the bill opponents, he'd be breaking his own movement by quoting copywrite materials.

Luppikun

Tentacle God
Reputation score

My father brought up a interesting point today, and also the simularity of this bill and Hippo's Law (at least I think it's the name). It's basic ghist is ya need a certain form of concent so that others can see your medical information, and was originally targeted for 14 year olds getting abortions. Nowadays though, ya need a court order as a officer to know how pissed a DUI was after he hit someone.

However, in regard to this copyright bill:

A. Technically, this post, this written statement, is copywrited to me for life+70 years, as soon as I hit the 'Submit' button.
B. IF this bill goes to effect, it would include the works of Mark Twain, Shakespere, and other legendary authors and playwrites.
C. This guy technically shouldn't' be quoting the bill opponents, he'd be breaking his own movement by quoting copywrite materials.
There. I infringed on copyrighted material. Apparently, there's a 10 strike system.
If you post something that breaks the law (if it passes) 9 times and take it down when asked, you're safe. But 10 posts? You're screwed.

Incubus

Horn Dog
Reputation score

Shakespere
The life+70 rule still applies :p

At least until the US change the 70 to 90 or something to protect their precious mickey mouse, to give another example of the US deciding laws and the rest of the world letting them get away with it.

lurker

Hentai Master
Reputation score

There. I infringed on copyrighted material. Apparently, there's a 10 strike system.
If you post something that breaks the law (if it passes) 9 times and take it down when asked, you're safe. But 10 posts? You're screwed.
Some people are sane enough not to sue on a fourum post for copyright infringement issues :p

Chibichibi

Big Sis
Reputation score

Ugh. Sunlight. Just kill me now.

I'm cleaning up the yard at my dad's so we can take the lawnmower to it. asdfghjkl; Scuse me whilst I expire from the heat. -blarghded-

Kusanagi

Chief Nippleseer
Reputation score

Ugh. Sunlight. Just kill me now.

I'm cleaning up the yard at my dad's so we can take the lawnmower to it. asdfghjkl; Scuse me whilst I expire from the heat. -blarghded-
Step 1: Buy a riding mower.

Step 2: Modify it with Chainsaws.

Step 3: ???

Step 4: PROFIT!

Chibichibi

Big Sis
Reputation score

Step 1: Buy a riding mower.

Step 2: Modify it with Chainsaws.

Step 3: ???

Step 4: PROFIT!
Pfft. I have a John Deere push mower. I'm the queen of the lawn. It was no match for me, I don't need a riding mower.

Kusanagi

Chief Nippleseer
Reputation score

Pfft. I have a John Deere push mower. I'm the queen of the lawn. It was no match for me, I don't need a riding mower.
Ah, but you see, with my idea, it eliminates the need to clean the yard.

Yanno, unless there's something you absolutely have to save.

Lurker
Reputation score

Since I have been employed, I have worked every holiday except St. Patrick's Day. I'm going in today too. If they ask me to work christmas or thanksgiving, I may quit.

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Since I have been employed, I have worked every holiday except St. Patrick's Day. I'm going in today too. If they ask me to work christmas or thanksgiving, I may quit.
That kind of sucks, but the stat pay is good. I usually work holidays as well. Then again most family get togethers for said holidays usually occur a few days after.

Kusanagi

Chief Nippleseer
Reputation score

I hate people who think their word is law when it comes to builds/characters in games.

Especially when they constantly cut you off when you're trying to explain to SOMEONE ELSE why you think the build/character is still viable, given the right circumstances. That shit's just childish and immature.

Lurker
Reputation score

That kind of sucks, but the stat pay is good. I usually work holidays as well. Then again most family get togethers for said holidays usually occur a few days after.
Stat pay? I don't know what that is, and I probably don't get it. I'm not allowed to get overtime either.