What's new

Chibichibi

Big Sis
Reputation score
Re: Hate Thread

Heh, my first day is tommrow, and it's looking like that might be the case too.

I also hate how cold weather makes dry skin which makes my feet hurt x.x
I'm like that when i first wake up. My hands and feet are both very dry and very hurty.

OAMP

Turtle Poker
Reputation score

I'm like that when i first wake up. My hands and feet are both very dry and very hurty.
Wow, just saw it on the news. That is some massive snow you got down there, especially for Georgia...

Chibichibi

Big Sis
Reputation score

Wow, just saw it on the news. That is some massive snow you got down there, especially for Georgia...
Yeah, we didn't get it where I live, we just had a stupid huge Ice Storm. Everybody North of where I live got snow.

OAMP

Turtle Poker
Reputation score

In other news, don't you just hate when someone starts a conversation with "I know you know how bad things are, but I think I need to tell you again"... :\

Chibichibi

Big Sis
Reputation score

Who the hell starts a conversation like that? That's like... asking to be shut down.

OAMP

Turtle Poker
Reputation score

My mom, on finanical/life issues :rolleyes:

Chibichibi

Big Sis
Reputation score

Oy. I don't think I've ever heard more than "I can't afford it" from my parents...

Ugh, and while we're on a roll with the hate... I hate comparative animal anatomy(already). I don't want to know that the human knee is called the stifle joint in animals. Maybe the class will start to garner less hate as the weeks wear on... But I doubt it.

Cappy

Reputation score

Oy. I don't think I've ever heard more than "I can't afford it" from my parents...

Ugh, and while we're on a roll with the hate... I hate comparative animal anatomy(already). I don't want to know that the human knee is called the stifle joint in animals. Maybe the class will start to garner less hate as the weeks wear on... But I doubt it.
If only I was more witty, I would have made a pun about "Growing to stifle your hatred." But I suppose there's no context which matches need and knee'd.
Dammit, I must train to attain more skill in the ways.

OAMP

Turtle Poker
Reputation score

It was the "hurry and and finish college or we won't be able to retire" speech, they give it quite often...

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

It was the "hurry and and finish college or we won't be able to retire" speech, they give it quite often...
Ouch... my parents wished I went to college or university.

OAMP

Turtle Poker
Reputation score

I've generally accepted they care more about getting us out of the house and trying to live the retired life then they actually care about getting their children set up to be successful adults.

Anywho, not trying to whine about it or anything, just kinda ticked off today.

Cappy

Reputation score

I've generally accepted they care more about getting us out of the house and trying to live the retired life then they actually care about getting their children set up to be successful adults.

Don't stress , at least 70% of the hate thread is whining, so you're in the right place. But yeah, I wouldn't know too much about that myself anyways.

Lurker
Reputation score

If you are unhappy and the cause is something you can change or fix, do it. If you are unhappy and the cause is something you have no control over, ignore it.

I've a number of siblings, and as such my parents have resolved no one gets special treatment. This means no one gets anything paid, because what they buy for one they must buy for several. This in turn has resulted in my taking three years of college with financial aid, and now preparing to live in abject poverty(This is hyperbole, of course). The only thing I can do is look for a job.

SirOni

Demon Girls #1 Fan
Reputation score

I'm pretty sure my parent's wished I didn't drop out of university. But as I wasn't enjoying it and know I'm not a good enough artist nor would improve to the level I'd need to be to get anywhere in the games industry I feel dropping out was the best choice as I'm not lumped with a massive debt.

Yeah, I get how you feel. I'll be moving out of my parent's house by the end of March if the flat is ready and they and my sisters have dropped no end of hints about how they cant wait to have the extra space. Had to tell my father to fuck up after awhile because it was starting to grate on my nerves.

OAMP

Turtle Poker
Reputation score

If you are unhappy and the cause is something you can change or fix, do it. If you are unhappy and the cause is something you have no control over, ignore it.

I've a number of siblings, and as such my parents have resolved no one gets special treatment. This means no one gets anything paid, because what they buy for one they must buy for several. This in turn has resulted in my taking three years of college with financial aid, and now preparing to live in abject poverty(This is hyperbole, of course). The only thing I can do is look for a job.
I'd be fine with having to pay for it myself. My problem is whenever I have something I want to talk to them about, they go on a rant about how whenever I bring up one of my problems they literally throw a fit and say they don't want to hear it, it makes them upset. :confused: Seriously, I haven't been able to have one serious conversation about a problem with them in the past 10 years without them derailing it into some inane thing about how they can't aford to go on a cruise or my mom crying about me wanting to make her depressed.

Lurker
Reputation score

Easiest answer: Stop talking to them about that. If they ask why, let them know. If they attempt to derail it back to the same old, explain that this is just the sort of thing your talking about and that you'll continue the conversation when they've regained their composure.

Best solution: Find a way to discuss this with them, I guess? It doesn't sound to me like it's a discussion they'd be receptive to, but there's no harm in trying.

Funniest solution: Do it right back to them, over anything and everything. Your mileage and sense of humor may vary.

OAMP

Turtle Poker
Reputation score

I've long ago given up trying. What brought this on was literally just a "Hey, I know I might have annoyed you yesterday when I reminded you how bad everything is right now, but seriously, it's pretty bad right now." I had no input at all :\ Just randomly walked past them on the way to do whatever, wasn't saying a thing. (Both times)

DarkFire1004

Tentacle Goddess of the H-Section
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reputation score

This is probably a last-resort solution, but my mother is the same way. What I did was basically ignore her completely. Every time something serious came up that needed to be talked about, I never once talked to her about it, opting instead to go to my far more rational dad. And if she ever tried to bring up something to me, I pretty much walked away while she talked, or I tuned her out if I couldn't leave. She kind of got the message because she now realizes that she's being petty, but she doesn't seem to want to change anyway.

Now you said that they'll even stop you when you've done nothing to provoke them. If it were me in the situation, I would have completely blown them off, as rude as that may sound. Sometimes people, even your own family, need to realize when you're sick of their shit and won't deal with it anymore.

Of course, I'm not saying just completely ignore your parents. Just show that when it comes to YOUR needs, they damn well better listen, or you'll stop listening to them. And yeah, I don't know how your family is, so their reaction may be completely different.

It may not be really good advice, but that's what I've done and I don't have to handle their tomfoolery much these days.Oh, and don't make the excuse that "You can't just walk away." You can ALWAYS walk away. You just choose not to.

OAMP

Turtle Poker
Reputation score

Totally walking away would mean going to freeze on the street, we don't have homeless shelters in these parts.

Anywho, I'm working on it. Most of the time nothing to worry about, just annoyed today, like I said ;)