What's new

Games Discussion Thread

Chibichibi

Big Sis
Reputation score
Re: Games Discussion Thread

You definitely should. The series is one of the best RPG experiences I've had when it comes down to freedom in interaction. It's not the most open-ended or free-roaming, but the game really felt like a story you controlled, not a series of set pieces with pop-up enemies to kill.Not to say it wasn't full of that. It just gave them reason to exist.
My basic problem with the over-sexualization of characters is when it leads to impracticality. You COULD show up to a firefight wearing a halfshirt and a miniskirt, but I doubt I'm in the minority when I say I'd rather wear a suit of power-armor that doesn't show off skin.
And XSI, I almost bought that game when it was on sale. Then I watched the trailer, fell asleep, and couldn't remember what I was doing when I woke up. >_>
Played it some more today. Ugh. Was pretty much bored the whole time. Maybe it's the stupid control system (Seriously, I move the mouse to move the camera? And press enter to open doors so i have to move my hands over the keyboard all the time? AGH.), or the fact that it crashes when I try to sell anything. I'll force myself to play it, but only because I bought it and ME2. I guess it's just not my kind of game.

I tend more toward fantasy and swords than I do shootings and scifi.

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Now I'm just thinking about a developer making a culture that goes to battle with their left testicle hanging out and them trying to justify why.
Various cultures went into battle stark naked save small bits of armour. The Spartans for example went into battle wearing greaves, bracers, helmet and cape... they didn't even have the underwear that they gave them in 300.

Copper

Lurker
Reputation score

Various cultures went into battle stark naked save small bits of armour. The Spartans for example went into battle wearing greaves, bracers, helmet and cape... they didn't even have the underwear that they gave them in 300.
Now I'm picturing an entirely different movie and one that would have probably gone over *very* well with female audiences. Thanks, Sin.

((What? Women can objectify men just as easily...))

Fifth

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

Oh ya, I forgot about that. They were protecting the vitals, but not the VITALS.

-Fifth

velvet.velour

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score

I Like farms!! if its harvest moon i mean...that series is more addicting than weed. I had allot of fun with ME1, and i love carrying over my charecter to ME2, made it that much more satisfying to stick with the series.

In other news, Dead money has finally come to PC owners of Fallout: New vegas. Im re-installing for some dead money fun!:D
Do tell me how Dead Money is. New Vegas really couldn't keep my attention, though I loved Fallout 3. I think it was the way the quests presented themselves - it kept stringing you along and I didn't feel very encouraged to explore. Not to mention it just felt like a gallery of homages to the old Fallout games.

And Chibi, it could just be preference =p I loved the firefights. The guns felt and sounded powerful, it felt fluid. I played it on 360, though. And in ME2, there's plenty of opportunities to punch people during conversation. Always a plus.

Chibichibi

Big Sis
Reputation score

Do tell me how Dead Money is. New Vegas really couldn't keep my attention, though I loved Fallout 3. I think it was the way the quests presented themselves - it kept stringing you along and I didn't feel very encouraged to explore. Not to mention it just felt like a gallery of homages to the old Fallout games.

And Chibi, it could just be preference =p I loved the firefights. The guns felt and sounded powerful, it felt fluid. I played it on 360, though. And in ME2, there's plenty of opportunities to punch people during conversation. Always a plus.
That's probably the difference then. I like my games on the computer to be more fluid than what they're giving me.

Same for AssCreed. I swear to god. I have to play it on a console because i can't stand moving my hands all over the keyboard. I have a gaming mouse with numbers on the side of it, lol.

SirOni

Demon Girls #1 Fan
Reputation score

On a different note.

Farm simulation. Multiplayer and co-op possible. Yes, you can spray your friends with manure if you really want to do that.

Awesome, I'm going to have to give that a look later on.

You definitely should. The series is one of the best RPG experiences I've had when it comes down to freedom in interaction. It's not the most open-ended or free-roaming, but the game really felt like a story you controlled, not a series of set pieces with pop-up enemies to kill.Not to say it wasn't full of that. It just gave them reason to exist.
My basic problem with the over-sexualization of characters is when it leads to impracticality. You COULD show up to a firefight wearing a halfshirt and a miniskirt, but I doubt I'm in the minority when I say I'd rather wear a suit of power-armor that doesn't show off skin.
And XSI, I almost bought that game when it was on sale. Then I watched the trailer, fell asleep, and couldn't remember what I was doing when I woke up. >_>
Activating /v/ mode;

>Mass Effect
>RPG

Choose one.

I Like farms!! if its harvest moon i mean...that series is more addicting than weed. I had allot of fun with ME1, and i love carrying over my charecter to ME2, made it that much more satisfying to stick with the series.

In other news, Dead money has finally come to PC owners of Fallout: New vegas. Im re-installing for some dead money fun!:D
Probably said it to you before but Harvest Moon is one of my all time favourite game series. And I found Dead Money a bit meh. Doesn't help that my play style doesn't fit into it all that well (charge at stuff shooting until they drop dead while pumping myself full of Stimpacks) and it takes all of your items away from you so you need to scavenge stuff in dead Money to use. Sure, it's a good way to stop people from breezing through it without any trouble because it's meant to feel claustrophobic and keep you on the edge of your seat. But like I said, it didn't play well with my play style so I didn't bother completing it. I'll probably get back to it once the next DLC comes out but until then I'm content with the extra five character levels it gives you.

Lurker
Reputation score

Activating /v/ mode;

>Mass Effect
>RPG

Choose one.
Mass Effect is a game, wherein you are capable of playing any number of roles depending on your personal style and the abilities you choose, and where your choices have a direct and often important impact on the storyline, made by a studio known for making RPGs.

How is it not an RPG?

Oh wait, /v/ mode. There's your problem.

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Now I'm picturing an entirely different movie and one that would have probably gone over *very* well with female audiences. Thanks, Sin.

((What? Women can objectify men just as easily...))
Ha, that they can.

However despite that I'd enjoying seeing a bunch of penises flopping around on screen, I'd also love the historical accuracy, and the fact that a director was ballsy enough to have an hour and a half of full frontal male nudity, and I'd be pretty impresses by the actors themselves who didn't mind showing the world their junk.

Oh ya, I forgot about that. They were protecting the vitals, but not the VITALS.

-Fifth
Well they weren't covering their torso either. Torso and groin areas were protected by the shield in the phalanx. The greaves and bracers were covering bits not protected by the shield, and the cape was just to have that vibrant colour to stand out when fighting their enemies.

Spartans were also very vain about their hair.

Nunu

Despot
Former Admin
Reputation score

Spartans were also very vain about their hair.
just like the nunu.

also mass effect 2 is a role playing game. by almost any definition of the term.

JohnDoe

Banned
Reputation score

I'd be pretty impresses by the actors themselves who didn't mind showing the world their junk.
With all the cg used in 300, it probably wouldn't even be their "junk".

Anyway, ME is an "hybrid action role playing game with a first person shooter battle system", not a pure rpg.

Btw, i still love Dead Space 2. :D

Last edited:
OP
Rule 34

Rule 34

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Dead Space 2 is indeed . Though once you played through it, the horror is largely lost as you already know what's going to happen.

Reputation score

I played the first Dead Space a lot and I agree it wasn't scary the second time you played it so I wasn't sure how I'd feel about the second game. But I think they succeded in making it scary and such once more. I love the Dead Dpace games ... I think I'll go say that on the love thread actually

Incubus

Horn Dog
Reputation score

With all the cg used in 300, it probably wouldn't even be their "junk".

Anyway, ME is an "hybrid action role playing game with a first person shooter battle system", not a pure rpg.

Btw, i still love Dead Space 2. :D
Excess CGI is like steroids?

Nunu

Despot
Former Admin
Reputation score

I'm a bit of a dead space fan to but i dont think i could ever call it love, mostly because as games they dont over reach themselves.

as for mass effect not being a pure RPG, well i'd like to argue that statement but its nothing but somantics, it can be right or wrong depending on your definition of words.

Reputation score

When you guys play Dead Space when do you do it? Some of my friends play it in the day just whenever with all the lights on and stuff trying not to be frightened by the game to the best of their ability. I personally only play it once it's dark and I must also be the only one left awake. It makes it a lot scarier experience in my view and that's why I'm playing it after all, to scare myself.
One day I wish to buy loads of mannequins dress them in robes and place them in a circle around me burning only candles for light while I play some horror game at midnight.

Darmy647

Lurker
Reputation score

Hmmm...has anyone played Luigi's mansion? If so, does anybody remember those tiny moments when luigi used a new key, or opened a door knob? What if they used the same mechanics to go along with what Resident Evil was doing with the opening of doors? How awesome would that be?

noman

Lurker
Reputation score

As for Dragon Age, I never really felt any attachment to it. It just felt like a step backwards after Mass Effect/2. The same recylced BioWare plotline didn't help with that, either.
A lot of Dragon Age fans will tie you to a stake and burn you alive for saying that. Dragon age is meant to be a spiritual successor to Baldur's gate, meaning that its target audience like games to to be complicated. A lot of older RPG players love having to haggle hundreds of items just to find one that's slightly better than the rest. As for the same recycled storyline... well, a lot of old fantasy stories are like that. A hero rise from a nobody, becomes a leader, lead a small army and saves the day while engaging in romance with a beautiful and dangerous woman.

Speaking of Origins, has anyone tried the DA:2 demo? Some of you might consider it a step forward, but many of of the die hard DA:O fans consider it dumbing down for the console players. Fixed camera, a lot less strategy and far too much real time action. The number of actions and spells you can now cast has been seriously cut down, meaning that the number of strategy you can take has been reduced. Also, real time movement actually works now - if an enemy's attack misses you, it actually misses you. In DA:O even if you try to dodge an attack by running around it will still hit you, meaning that you have to rely a lot more on teamwork instead. Also, judging from the size of icons in the yet non-functional item page, I suspect they have reduced the number of in game items as well. None of this will go down well with the die-hard fans.

Chibichibi

Big Sis
Reputation score

Oh man.... if you guys hadn't seen my posts before, I freaking love DA2. The demo was just. plain. awesome.

And March 8th can't come quickly enough.