What's new

Games Discussion Thread

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score
Re: Games Discussion Thread

I played a few hours of Murdered: Soul Suspect. Very exploration heavy with some L.A. Noire esque investigation sequences. You look for clues for various acts either relating to your own murder, or that of another ghost you've come across.

Combat is simplistic at best, but the game states it really early that the game isn't about combat at all. It's a slow burn, not a fast paced game. I myself got fairly bored with it a few hours in after I rented it, but Sly went out and bought it for herself so I'll go and finish just because the premise and story were interesting enough.

Copper

Lurker
Reputation score

May see if I can get it on the cheap, then. Which probably means waiting a few years *laughs* But I'll see. How's it play? (Control-wise.) I do okay on FPS and WASD controls on my computer and okay with free-roam fighting style (ala Dynasty Warriors or Dragon Age) but I absolutely loathed Heavy Rain's style and Beyond: Two Souls. Doesn't quite look like that's what they're using, but I'd like to make sure.

Lucas

Lurker
Reputation score

Resident Evil: Revelations A.K.A. Resident Seavil is actually pretty good. It's on sale until tomorrow for $13 via Xbox Gold deals which is where I picked it up.

Story isn't half bad for a recent RE title, it's very tense with its atmosphere, and for the most part the characters are likeable and interesting. (Again, for a recent RE title.)

There are a few cracks that show through being an HD re-release of a portable game, but if you can look past that it's a really solid title and is what RE6 should have been more like.

Copper

Lurker
Reputation score

I have recently come into possession of a Gamecube, thanks to friends of friends moving out of the country. As a fan of RPG/Puzzle games, I'm looking for suggestions on games to hunt down for the thing.

Also, for my European friends, same friends of friends are moving over to Germany from the States and would like to bring their Xbox 360, though apparently there's a converter cable that's needed? Any tips on what they might be looking for and how much do they run?

SirOni

Demon Girls #1 Fan
Reputation score

Tales of Symphonia and Baten Kaitos are a must for RPGs on the Cube. Evolution 1 and 2, which were originally for the Dreamcast, were ported to the Cube and put together on one disc which I'd recommend getting as well. I've been told most of the first game has been reduced to cutscenes or condensed though all of the second game should be on there. Then there's Paper Mario, Wind Waker (though if you have a WiiU and the remake then don't bother), Fire Emblem, Pokemon Colosseum and XD: Gale of Darkness, Skies of Arcadia: Legends, and Lost Kingdoms 1 & 2 that quickly come to mind from what I used to play at a friend's house.

And it's not really an RPG and I can't remember if it has any puzzles in it, but Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem is a pretty amazing head fuck of a game. And it has high replayability as well because each time you complete it you can choose to start with a different rune, and if you complete it using all available runes you get one final rune to play it through with. I'm not sure what the runes are for exactly because it was years and years ago I played it with a friend, but I do remember it being an immensely fun, and terrifying, game.

Lucas

Lurker
Reputation score

And it's not really an RPG and I can't remember if it has any puzzles in it, but Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem is a pretty amazing head fuck of a game. And it has high replayability as well because each time you complete it you can choose to start with a different rune, and if you complete it using all available runes you get one final rune to play it through with. I'm not sure what the runes are for exactly because it was years and years ago I played it with a friend, but I do remember it being an immensely fun, and terrifying, game.
This game is awesome, although I believe it's a bit pricy to get your hands on.

The runes dictated "main rival" enemy types that specialized in depleting either your Sanity, Magic, or Health. They also had a Rock-Paper-Scissors damage scaling with what kind of rune magic you used on an enemy. You also don't get a secret rune for beating the game 3 times with the different ones, but you could get the secret, neutral/poison damage rune about halfway through the game on any playthrough.

I've got this fucking game emblazoned into my brain, it's so cool.

SirOni

Demon Girls #1 Fan
Reputation score

Oh, that's how you get it? We always believed you needed to complete it with all three.

Lucas

Lurker
Reputation score

Oh, that's how you get it? We always believed you needed to complete it with all three.
Nope.

You do however get an "added" ending for beating the game 3 times with the different alignments. Aside from wanting the experience of multiple playthroughs though it's not really worth it nowadays when you can just look it up on Youtube.

SirOni

Demon Girls #1 Fan
Reputation score

Well shit. Our attempt at playing through the game with each rune to unlock the last one was a wasted effort then.

Copper

Lurker
Reputation score

Was looking at Tales. Was also looking at the 70 dollar price tag at the used place I was at last night, so I might have to pass on that one, at least for now. And I have been considering Baten Kaitos. I just couldn't remember the exact name. Just remembered it started with B and I'd know it when I saw it. Did see Skies of Arcadia for a decent price, so might look into that one, too. Some of the others sound worth looking into, too, though not much of a Zelda or Pokemon fan. Nothing against 'em, just doesn't quite float my boat.

And I know all about Eternal Darkness. Cuddlebuddy and I were talking about it. "Yeah, breaks the 4th wall to fuck with you." "Oh?" "Yeah, like you'll have a zombie horde coming at you and your controller will just stop working." "Oh, that's evil." "Yeah. Or it blue screen of deaths you." "See, I'd like that."

Thanks for the recommendations, Oni. Will have to scribble them down and check them out later on.

Lucas

Lurker
Reputation score

Oof, that price tag for Tales. It's a great game though if you manage to get your hands on it. Sheena. <3

Eternal Darkness is so great though. It's basically Psycho Mantis: The Game with the Sanity effects... which makes sense as Silicon Knights did the MGS1 remake. I think most of the voice actors who did voicework for Twin Snakes were in ED, actually.

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

May see if I can get it on the cheap, then. Which probably means waiting a few years *laughs* But I'll see. How's it play? (Control-wise.) I do okay on FPS and WASD controls on my computer and okay with free-roam fighting style (ala Dynasty Warriors or Dragon Age) but I absolutely loathed Heavy Rain's style and Beyond: Two Souls. Doesn't quite look like that's what they're using, but I'd like to make sure.
Typical Third Person game controls. Mouse to look and WASD to move I would assume on PC. I played on console.

Tassadar

Panda King
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Mantorak pargon pargon pargon pargon pargon pargon pargon.....

Copper

Lurker
Reputation score

Typical Third Person game controls. Mouse to look and WASD to move I would assume on PC. I played on console.
I'd likely be playing it on console. I prefer that, though it's currently on my Steam wish list and if someone's nice enough to buy it for me, I won't say no *laughs* I actually kind of suck at 3rd person on console, though, so might look into it for the computer. Have to see.

Nunu

Despot
Former Admin
Reputation score

Sanities Requiem was very fun game.

In other news nunu went to a company lan over the weekend(I lead a very hard life). There was some standard fun of killing floor, sup com and PA. A little civ V.

The standout though was men of war assault squad. The sheer amount of micro that 8 players on one team can pull in a scenario against the computer is awesome and no matter how insignificant your contributions, like controlling a single man as best you can, is immensely satisfying as you manage to pop off an enemy and loot his corps for bandages and the machine gun. turn a corner and AT grenade a panzer, sure you only blow its track off but thats enough to keep 3 other players from being over run.

OP
Rule 34

Rule 34

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

So at this point it should come as no surprise that I got pretty heavily into Dark Souls II. And while I got over my obsession (mostly), I've still got some thoughts about it I'd like to share.

Gameplay wise there are a LOT of improvements. Dual wielding has become a legitimate way of playing with better parrying and "power stancing" giving you even more variety in your movesets. EVERY style of playing the game is completely viable and can lead you to success. There is even a pair of greatshields that let you power stance them so you can double shield bash.

The levels are still the right amount of difficult. The kind of difficult that makes you cautious in your approach until you learn each and every dirty trick the game is going to throw at you - and then once you get to NG+, it changes up its game completely, giving you enough new content to make the second playthrough very much enjoyable.

The bosses however are a completely different story. Many people have complained that this game has way too many "knight in armor" bosses, and they are all correct. You lose count of the greatswords and ultra greatswords you can forge from the boss souls, making each of them less unique. Seriously, come on, where is the originality of the Gaping Dragon or the tough, but fair difficulty of Smough & Ornstein? Some bosses even seem downright rehashed - See "naked chick with spider body" and "naked chick with scorpion body." Granted, the game has a very heavy theme of a cycle repeating over and over - BUT SHE WAS NOT IMPORTANT TO THAT CYCLE IN EITHER ITERATION.

So yeah. It is not as unique as the first game, but I still have a blast trying out and succeeding with different builds. To make up stories for my characters fitting to the lore. And to backstab filthy red phantoms and sinners whenever I get the chance.

handofdoz

Lurker
Reputation score

So at this point it should come as no surprise that I got pretty heavily into Dark Souls II. And while I got over my obsession (mostly), I've still got some thoughts about it I'd like to share.
i honestly was disappointed with it. there are even more traps that will kill you without fair warning, as well as numerous issues with latency, lag was a given in pvp in demon's souls and dark souls, but its worse now that they've tried to compensate for it.

before a laggy back stab would consist of them running past you to back stab you, now it consists of them running to where you were 3 seconds ago, and you getting magnet handed mass effect style back to them. not to mention the issue with phantom hits- when the host was laggy and would be hitting you where you used to be- happening more often now, pvp has gotten more random and less skillful.

also the introduction of adaptability has some issues as well, before if you wanted to dodge an attack you just had to wear light armor, now you have to level up a skill, which causes an issue. one of the main reasons heavy armor is a disability is that it weighs you down, but with the skill defining the strength of the roll, you can wear heavy armor for the defense boost, and still not be penalized. also poise is useless for the most part.

on top of that the game has gotten easier, the game starts you off with only 1-2 estes- which i thought was amazing- but then compensates for that by placing the bonfires closer together. this creates an issue when you get more than enough esteses to move between bonfires, by making the game easier depending on which order you tackled the levels. on top of that half of the "hard" bosses have bonfires literally a 30 second walk away, which takes what little challenge in the area away once you get to the end.

and lastly there is no good defense for magic, specifically lightning and dark. the fact that both dark and lightning damage scale off the same skills and fire doesn't scale of anything means that someone can, and often does, gain an advantage by using those three types of spells. most bosses are weak to either lightning or dark, and there is no good armor which is resistant to both. because of that you will often run into people using either dark or lightning imbuements on the weapons, which since you cannot defend against it, gives spell casters an easy button in all situations, against pve just use long range spells, and in pvp they can just use the imbuements.

all in all still enjoyable, but as soon as i finished my third play through, i simply didn't want to play anymore. dark souls was a game i sunk literally hundreds of hours into- yes i have no life- but this game i don't even want to play the dlc, regardless of how fun it seems.

ps: soul memory, a new stat in dark souls 2, ruins player interaction, before summoning and invading were dependent on level, now its based on a stat that includes the combined worth of all the souls you have ever used, or lost. which means that before invaders were generally at your level or lower than yours, now if you lost to many souls, you can be invaded by a higher level player, or if you play the game to long, you stop being able to connect to other players. eventually you will have to make a new one if you want to either commit jolly co-operation, or if you wanna enjoy some pvp.

XSI

Lurker
Reputation score

Interplanetary

A game about shooting railguns at other planets only for them to orbit right back around the sun to hit you in your undefended areas

If you like orbital stuff and KSP and space stuff, this is worth getting, bonus points if you play with friends

In short: It's a game about shooting projectiles at eachother. In space!
And it's loads of fun and gets chaotic with 5+ people all shooting at eachother while there's a whole lot of planets with all the gravity messing up your shots

AceofWind

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Apparently Square Enix just initiated a cease and desist order against the team translating Final Fantasy Type-0......a month after it was already finished and released.