What's new

Games Discussion Thread

Roadkill007

Sex Demon
Reputation score
Re: Games Discussion Thread

Ok guys, I don't think I've ever been as excited for an upcoming game as I've been for the past month since discovering what the developers have been doing with this game...

Guild Wars 2! Now I know what some of you guys are thinking because I was thinking along the same lines : "woo hoo another grindfest with slightly better graphics than last time. Do I even have time for an MMO these days?"

but Oh, My, GOD, once I checked out the manifesto, then the plethora of vids of gameplay, developer interviews, etc... I could not be more hyped for this game to come out. Even if it doesn't deliver all it promises, I will probably still be amazingly happy. Why?

Because they are breaking the MMORPG mold that has been made by WOW for like the past decade. GW2 will be what WOW was when Everquest was mainstream for mmos.

I'm just going to list the major things they're going to change, and if the idea interest you, please look it up on the guild wars 2 site, or the fan forums. (no official forum as of now) If I were to explain every detail of how they will go about these, I will easily reach the post length limit.

first of all, they're getting rid of the tank/dps/healer trinity.

second, they're replacing the lame quest system we've been stuck with for awhile, with a dynamic event system (kinda hard to hype this one w/o you looking it up for urself lol)

third, they are COMPLETELY separating pvp and pve (ie, gear doesn't mean #$%@ in pvp)

fourth, high level of character customization will affect personal story quests (which is like the simple progression of standard RPGs) and will facilitate ROLE PLAY

fifth, they've changed the death system in a way that reminds me of some FPS : when your health bar depletes, you will be in a downed state with limited skills and no regular mobility. if you kill someone while in a downed state, you will rally back alive with a few hit points.

and.... *gurgles* there's tons more amazing things they will attempt with this game, but honestly if any of those five interest you guys, you should check it out. It will BLOW your MINDS

ps. oh yea it's also free to play once you buy it, no subscription fee :D

Last edited:

wazzup

Evard's Tentacles of Forced Intrusion
Reputation score

Ok guys, I don't think I've ever been as excited for an upcoming game as I've been for the past month since discovering what the developers have been doing with this game...

Guild Wars 2! Now I know what some of you guys are thinking because I was thinking along the same lines : "woo hoo another grindfest with slightly better graphics than last time. Do I even have time for an MMO these days?"

but Oh, My, GOD, once I checked out the manifesto, then the plethora of vids of gameplay, developer interviews, etc... I could not be more hyped for this game to come out. Even if it doesn't deliver all it promises, I will probably still be amazingly happy. Why?

Because they are breaking the MMORPG mold that has been made by WOW for like the past decade. GW2 will be what WOW was when Everquest was mainstream for mmos.

I'm just going to list the major things they're going to change, and if the idea interest you, please look it up on the guild wars 2 site, or the fan forums. (no official forum as of now) If I were to explain every detail of how they will go about these, I will easily reach the post length limit.

first of all, they're getting rid of the tank/dps/healer trinity.

second, they're replacing the lame quest system we've been stuck with for awhile, with a dynamic event system (kinda hard to hype this one w/o you looking it up for urself lol)

third, they are COMPLETELY separating pvp and pve (ie, gear doesn't mean #$%@ in pvp)

fourth, high level of character customization will affect personal story quests (which is like the simple progression of standard RPGs) and will facilitate ROLE PLAY

fifth, they've changed the death system in a way that reminds me of some FPS : when your health bar depletes, you will be in a downed state with limited skills and no regular mobility. if you kill someone while in a downed state, you will rally back alive with a few hit points.

and.... *gurgles* there's tons more amazing things they will attempt with this game, but honestly if any of those five interest you guys, you should check it out. It will BLOW your MINDS

ps. oh yea it's also free to play once you buy it, no subscription fee :D
I'm equally hyped as your are. Though I wouldn't agree with GW2 being a revolutionary MMO. Many other current MMOs have already done most of what you mentioned. Vindictus (Mabinogi Heroes in Korea) and Dragon's Nest already have the hack and slash gameplay. I dont know much about Dragon's Nest, but I played Vindictus for an extensive period of time. If you want to try out a new MMO before GW2 (because I'm pretty sure GW2 will blow our minds) you should try out Vindictus.

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Vindictus is fun, but GW2 is looking to be much more personal than Vindictus... also I can't get over how silly some of the quests and characters are in Vindictus. Especially after I started playing after watching some very dark and gritty trailers for the game.

Still, GW2 has been talked about quite a bit in this thread. There's lots of folks around here eager for it, so it's not like we have to be sold on it.

Kusanagi

Chief Nippleseer
Reputation score

Heh. I got a copy of DE:HR from Gamestop on release day.
For 35 USD.
It had the promo code in it.
I love the people that work in the Gamestop near me :D

SirOni

Demon Girls #1 Fan
Reputation score

So I bought DE:HR today. Didn't intend on buying it but I saw the Augmented Edition for £60 and knew then I had to have it. I've played a bit of it and I'm enjoying it so far. A shame I didn't get much ammo for the silenced sniper rifle though otherwise I wouldn't have been spotted through the first mission.

wazzup

Reputation score

Vindictus is fun, but GW2 is looking to be much more personal than Vindictus... also I can't get over how silly some of the quests and characters are in Vindictus. Especially after I started playing after watching some very dark and gritty trailers for the game.

Still, GW2 has been talked about quite a bit in this thread. There's lots of folks around here eager for it, so it's not like we have to be sold on it.
Don't get me wrong, I agree that Vindictus falls short on many parts. And I am definitely looking forward to GW2 as well.

Roadkill007

Sex Demon
Reputation score

I'm equally hyped as your are. Though I wouldn't agree with GW2 being a revolutionary MMO. Many other current MMOs have already done most of what you mentioned. Vindictus (Mabinogi Heroes in Korea) and Dragon's Nest already have the hack and slash gameplay. I dont know much about Dragon's Nest, but I played Vindictus for an extensive period of time. If you want to try out a new MMO before GW2 (because I'm pretty sure GW2 will blow our minds) you should try out Vindictus.

I might indeed try vindictus out... since I just burnt my laptop somehow... right before classes start anew. :( What's worse is that all my game codes were on that laptop... so unless I get my files extracted, I won't be able to play any of my old games on my new laptop... and not like I drive (walk/bus), and the nearest frys is like 1-2 hours by bus... so yeaa.. chances are I'm not going to get my dead laptop repaired till winter break, so I'll have nothing to do on my new laptop.

I have heard interesting things about vindictus, but I'm afraid that I'll unconsciously compare it to videos of GW2 and somehow kill the fun for myself.

Maybe I should finally try to get a gf :( le sigh... so many things to do, so little time.

SirOni

Demon Girls #1 Fan
Reputation score

Wait, did you just walk into the store and pick the Augmented Edition up off the shelves? The fuck did I even bother pre-ordering for?!
Yeah I did. Got all the pre-order bonuses too.

wazzup

Reputation score

wow that is nice. What is your mid-game impression of Deus Ex now?

I might indeed try vindictus out... since I just burnt my laptop somehow... right before classes start anew. :( What's worse is that all my game codes were on that laptop... so unless I get my files extracted, I won't be able to play any of my old games on my new laptop... and not like I drive (walk/bus), and the nearest frys is like 1-2 hours by bus... so yeaa.. chances are I'm not going to get my dead laptop repaired till winter break, so I'll have nothing to do on my new laptop.

I have heard interesting things about vindictus, but I'm afraid that I'll unconsciously compare it to videos of GW2 and somehow kill the fun for myself.

Maybe I should finally try to get a gf :( le sigh... so many things to do, so little time.
I would say give it a spin. GW2 will probably (definitely) trump Vindictus. For one thing Vindictus is instance based, for some that might be good, but I feel like it takes out a lot of the "MMO" element to it". Also one thing I wish they would have in Vindictus are more rare items. You can get enchant scrolls and stuff, but that is pretty much it. Stronger weapons and stuff are all achieved through crafting, which really takes out some of the looting fun in my opinion. If anything, it uses the valve source engine, which probably pulls in a bunch of the Half life fans.

Last edited:

SirOni

Demon Girls #1 Fan
Reputation score

Mid-game? I've just completed the first mission, I haven't gone on it since then. Been too busy doing other stuff, but from what I have played it is pretty good. Not too fussed on some of the voice acting though.

wazzup

Reputation score

Mid-game? I've just completed the first mission, I haven't gone on it since then. Been too busy doing other stuff, but from what I have played it is pretty good. Not too fussed on some of the voice acting though.
Mah, well English voice acting isn't Japanese developers' forte. That's good to hear though, I'm leaning more and more to purchasing a copy myself

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Sounds like when my father picked up Halo 2 for me and my brother randomly. He decided to go to the midnight release, saw a line-up for the EB games (a sub company of Gamestop) going out of the mall and through the parking lot, decided to go to Toys R Us, and got the special edition easily.

Mah, well English voice acting isn't Japanese developers' forte. That's good to hear though, I'm leaning more and more to purchasing a copy myself
The Devs are Canadian. French Canadian actually.

SirOni

Demon Girls #1 Fan
Reputation score

The devs aren't Japanese, it's just the publisher. Also, out of curiousity Oni, what store did you get your copy from?
I picked it up from GAME when I went into Cardiff. The person I was paying even gave me the student discount even though I'm not a student. Didn't pick up the limited edition walkthrough though as I didn't have the money for that as well as the game.

Kusanagi

Chief Nippleseer
Reputation score

Meh. I'm just going through DE:HR trying to only use take-downs.

I've only had to use the tranq Sniper a couple of times, and that's because the bastards refused to look another direction.

Having trouble with the DRB territory mission, though. One of the sub-objectives is to not be spotted, and I don't have the cloaking aug yet. And yes, I need it. Fuckers refuse to start moving until I'm right up on them, and while they're standing around, it feels like their LoS stretches ahead of them FOREVER.
Spent most of my Praxis on various Cranium augs, and the rest went to being able to lift heavy stuff and the ability to punch through certain walls. Though punching through walls did help me with the morgue quest.

wazzup

Reputation score

The Devs are Canadian. French Canadian actually.
Oh really? I assumed it was Japanese developers because it was published by SquareEnix.

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Oh really? I assumed it was Japanese developers because it was published by SquareEnix.
Nope, developed by Eidos Montreal. They're first game actually (that particular branch of Eidos). Square Enix has actually been publishing a few western titles. I mean they're publishing Tomb Raider which is being developed by a UK based team I believe.

So no, Square Enix has gone international.

*Edit* Square Enix is also publishing the new Hitman game.

wazzup

Reputation score

Nope, developed by Eidos Montreal. They're first game actually (that particular branch of Eidos). Square Enix has actually been publishing a few western titles. I mean they're publishing Tomb Raider which is being developed by a UK based team I believe.

So no, Square Enix has gone international.

*Edit* Square Enix is also publishing the new Hitman game.
That is really interesting. I read an article regarding the failure of Xbox in Japan. It mentions that the failure of the Xbox in Japan was not due to advertisement or promotion failure, but rather the issue that Japan is content with what it creates for itself. The cultural imports of Western culture does little to pique the interest of Japanese consumers. Either way, even if the article is complete bogus, I think it is an interesting view point, which makes me curious as to why SquareEnix is going more international.

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

To make money. They may not get anything in Japan, but they'll get plenty in other markets.

wazzup

Reputation score

To make money. They may not get anything in Japan, but they'll get plenty in other markets.
Not only that, but they charge way more for game products in Japan. I think it is kind of sad that Japan is relying more on foreign developers. Not that it is a bad thing, but it feels a bit less authentic? The next Luigi's Mansion game, for example, is developed by a Canadian or UK team, I can't remember which. Though the quality in the game could still be the same or even better. It is just kind of bizarre in my opinion. I can't really come up with a decent analogy to express my thoughts.

edit

Saw a great deal for Deus Ex that includes the Augmented and Tactical pack on slickdeals.net for $42 so I went ahead and bought it. I'm expecting great things from this game.

Last edited:

Roadkill007

Sex Demon
Reputation score

Not only that, but they charge way more for game products in Japan. I think it is kind of sad that Japan is relying more on foreign developers. Not that it is a bad thing, but it feels a bit less authentic? The next Luigi's Mansion game, for example, is developed by a Canadian or UK team, I can't remember which. Though the quality in the game could still be the same or even better. It is just kind of bizarre in my opinion. I can't really come up with a decent analogy to express my thoughts.
it might be because of the dwindling birth rate... less and less people in Japan, less people to work on games... meaning they need to go out of Japan to be able to meet deadlines and such.