What's new

Dark Gate OOC Thread

GargantuaBlarg

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score
Re: PbP Interest Check(And OOC Thread)

Gruh, without the whole RoF thing the bows don't seem to work. The big longbow'll plink off shit, while the shortbow hits like a ballista. Are current ranged weapons able to rapidfire? It seems to me a bunch of guns lose some meaning if not, like the AR. I am similarly not a fan of how most of the guns have AP 10, especially the little dinky handguns. I get that the smaller arms need to have a chance against the big, armored fuckers, but isn't the whole point of having a big gun that you can kill big things? If you give that to the small guns, too...

I tried making a heavy crossbow, but it was really similar to the sniper; high range, damage and pen, bit basically single-shot.

Crossbow
DMG: 3d8 + 5 [min-avg-max]
RNG: 70
SHT: 1
RLD: 1t
AV 5

Also, here's the point-buy template thing I used. The last one I saw seemed different from the one the current guns are built on. Two things tacked on at the end of the point list. I think they're the right point values?
-Add 1 damage dice = 3 points.
-Upgrade the damage dice by 1 step = 2 points.
-Add a +1 damage bonus to the weapon = 1 point.
-Increase the weapons range by 10 feet = 1 point.
-Increase the magazine size by 1 = 1 point.
-Add 1 to the weapons reload speed = return 3 points.
-Ignoring 5 points of AV = 1 point.
-Shorten reload by 1 turn = 1 pt
-Use body/3 in damage = 5 pt

Rifles 17
Pistols 11

Last edited:

freeko

Banned
Reputation score

The particular indecent that brought this up was the fact that it would take me THIRTEEN turns to get to the other end of the room in my current fight, assuming I didn't preform any other actions along the way.
A round is 5 seconds or so long in theory if I read the rules properly. Nevermind that I do not know the size of the room, but 13 turns at 5 seconds would be 65 seconds. A running back in football would have covered the whole length of a football field about 5 times in that same span disreguarding any fatigue factors. So if this room is 500 yards long, then this would make sense in real world terms. I somehow doubt that is the case however. I think you need to go with some KISS mechanics so that the game does not just simply become overly complex (read: not fun).

The simple solution to the distance would be simply saying that you are at range or in close combat, and remove the variable of any actual distance from the mix. If you attempt to move into close combat against someone at range then they will get a free shot at you while you move in I would guess. If both of you are at range and want to move into close combat, that is rather self explanitory. Two people at range would be rather self explanitory as well, they just pew pew each other at a distance. I think the simplicity of the game should be considered when you go and mess with things.

With the square root change, you make people who have a stronger body move slower than what the original system was. I have no real stake in how that affects things, so I will not focus on that. I think however for the sake of combat and determining ranges or movement there should be just a simple system of close range and far range with no consideration for the actual distance involved. Speed of course should have some relevance, but I think the removal of speed as a major factor and simply having a score for dodging either melee or spell attacks would be more efficient for everyone. I just dont have enough experience within this system to make any informed suggestion on how to make any other adjustments. I always have asked myself what the relevance of speed is in this game, and I dont see anything that makes me think it is of any sizeable relevance from the games that I am paying attention to.

As a side rant, I think it is just not in the spirit of the game to change things so much. Thats just me of course. Another thing that doesnt make sense is how fast some characters are driven into an orgasm. I would love to know how to do that in the real world as I would never have to worry about going home from a bar ever again at night without someone to fool around with. Nitpicking on these things just does no good however in my opinion.

Last edited:
OP
Tassadar

Tassadar

Panda King
RP Moderator
Reputation score

@GargantuaBlarg: For some reason, I remember the template points being 10 for pistols and 16 for rifles. I think the 14/20 was my original plan, but they were too powerful after I was done, so I decreased the number of points. Also, taking a turn off of the reload would also have to cost at least as much as adding a round would return. Generally, if you want to take off something in the opposite direction as it's listed in the template, just use the same cost but in the opposite direction. Also, Multiple shots per round was removed from ranged weapons entirely, save for those granted by Skills.

I did notice a bunch of errors in the weapons, however, and changed them slightly to compensate, which made me understand completely why you thought it was 17 points instead of 16 for rifles, ect. Everything was a point too high. That's what I get for doing it at 3 in the morning. DX People with guns, check yours against those in the thread.

@thetwo and Hafniums discussion: The only 100 Body enemies are Juggernauts, as Hafnium mentioned, and bosses, who aren't balanced to begin with. Speed would only be moderately affected for most enemies.

At this point, I'm going to go with changing the Speed formula, since its effects are mostly positive as far as I can tell. What I'm also going to do, is make an armors EV value subtract from Base Casting and Energy Ceiling (which is what I'm calling the limiting stat for Spirit until someone comes up with a better name for it.)

To those that would like to complain about having to edit their sheets (no one has yet, as far as I can remember, but I know someone must be thinking it) I would like to say: This also means I have to go through every monster, edit in their new speed and such, and then repost the monster stats archive. :|

@freeko: Bleh. Too simple and drastic a change. So far, I've only switched around numbers in all the system changes I've done. I don't want to start scrapping entire mechanics that literally affect every PC in the game. The adding of EV to Base Casting and the introduction of a new stat is sufficiently extreme. Also, dropping to simple ranges would make mages, ostensibly about as fit as an ordinary person, able to move as quickly as melee fighters, who are ostensibly as physically fit as, say, a running back, to use your own example.

@All: I went through the equipment section, changed a few typos and such, nothing major that hasn't been said above. The only numbers that got changed at all was the Heavy Shield that now does Body/3 Bash Damage instead of Body/4, which is what it should have done before.

Spirit Changes:

At the moment, I'm looking at EP/6 for the value used for Energy Ceiling.

The three most relevant numbers are EP = 30, EP = 50, and EP = 80.
At Ceiling = EP/5, EP30 = 6, EP50 = 10, EP80 = 16.
At Ceiling = EP/6, EP30 = 5, EP50 = 8, EP80 = 13.

Since I'm looking at this purely for the maximum value of X, the lower value seems more appealing, as it will weaken max damage more. If I were to go by total cost, I'd go with EP/5, since it would still allow people to use their primary powers without hurting themselves. Any thoughts before this goes into effect?

Now, on to Powers..... TL:DR
Each of the separate groups of powers are being grouped separately based on what they do. Each is getting balanced separately, and some may not be changed at all. Keep in mind: I'm not changing the functions or flavor of any Powers, only trying to balance them down so that Spirit Users can't easily instakill bosses anymore, and to make the EP payed vs effect on the battle equal across all of the different types of powers.

Anything that's in italics has had something changed.

Utility Powers.
Animate: Costs 3X energy to activate. X is dependent on what you want to animate. For small objects roughly with size and weight roughly equal to (or less than) that of a small dog, X = 1. For objects roughly the size and weight of a human being, X = 2. For objects closer to a large horse, X = 3. Finally, for objects with size and weight much larger, X = 4. Objects larger than, say, an elephant, cannot be Animated. The animated object does not think or move on its own, and must be mentally directed by the caster.
Animating a dead creature with this ability produces a being identical statistically to what it was in life, but without any of its Spells, special abilities or Powers. For animating objects, treat it identically as the Call Spirit Power, but -1 to the functional value of X.
For shaping things (stone, dirt, ect,) this power can be used to create physical bonds, which give the creature the Bound status unless they win a Grapple roll against 12X.
This power cannot be used to cause damage by itself.

Telepathy: Allows mental communication with another being, allowing each to read the others surface thoughts in whatever form they take. The user can choose to shield her thoughts from one she opens communication with, thus allowing her to read an enemies surface thoughts. Costs 2 energy to activate and 1 upkeep per person involved if you're only communicating.

Holy Wall: Creates a wall of reasonable size and shape that no being may pass without the users permission, or by winning a (Your Resistance x (1 + X)) vs (Enemies Resistance) check. Spells, special abilities, attacks and other Spirit powers cannot pass through or be cast through a Holy Wall without the casters permission. Costs 3 + X energy to activate and X energy to maintain. In addition, demons touching it take 2d6 x X damage.

Tentacle: Summons a tentacle made of living shadow, either attached to the caster or on any piece of ground within 30 feet, which can be used as the caster sees fit. It has a Body of 20 + 5X, and you can maintain up to 5 at a time. Can deal damage as if it had the Unarmed Fighter Talent, and grapples as though it had the Grapple Expert Talent. Costs 3 + X energy to activate and 1 EP upkeep.

Patch of Shadow: Costs X to activate. Blots out all light in an area equal to 5X square feet that only the user and specified creatures can see within/through. Allows the wielder to make attacks against any creature within it as though they were sneak attacks so long as they have the Stealthy Talent. Also, creatures inside are treated as blind, and Light spells have no effect if cast within or through a Patch of Shadows. each patch requires 1 EP upkeep.

Vampiric Futanari: The character grows a penis temporarily. Can be released at any time for free. Half of any pleasure the character causes their partner with it is drained from their EP and gained by the character using this ability. A character with this active orgasms and impregnates as normal. Costs 5 EP to activate and lasts until deactivated or until the character rests.

Current thoughts:
- Animate has been given rules.
- Patch of shadows got nerfed a little, with is area being dropped to only 5 feet per EP, and you don't get the free Talent within it. The wording of it was also changed a little bit.
-Holy Walls check got changed from Spirit to Resistance, which I must have somehow missed in the purges.
-Tentacle was changed to be more useful and easier to understand.
-Telepathy was made easier to understand. Hopefully. I also explicitly added what it was mostly used for, namely: Mind Reading. The Domination part is being handled elsewhere.

Buffs.
Battle Aura: Think glowing anime character and you've got a good idea of what this does. Energy cost is 5 + X activation and then X upkeep. Increases melee damage rolls, Speed, attack rolls, and Dodge by 3X. Characters with this active cannot attempt to be Stealthy.

Nightmarish Image: Covers the user in a dark aura, and causes their eyes to glow bright red. Anything looking upon the character must win a Resistance vs 5X check or flee, as an image drawn from their own nightmares appears in the place of the caster. Creatures must make this check only once, and are otherwise immune to it. Costs 3 + X to activate and X upkeep, and increases Dodge and melee damage by 3X.

Psychic Shield: Grants the user a shield that blocks attacks. Costs 2 + X energy to activate and X upkeep. Gives a 3X bonus to Dodge, Armor, and all grapple rolls.

Blessing: Grants strength to the user and her allies, costing 3 + X to activate and X upkeep. Increases attack rolls, Dodge, and Perception by 3X for the user and any allies within 30 feet.

Dark Armor: Costs 3 + X to activate and X to maintain, summons chitinous armor made of pure shadow to protect the user. Increases melee damage rolls, grapple rolls, and Armor by 3X.

Fell Might:
The user is filled with the power of Chaos! Costs 1 + X EP to activate and X EP to maintain. Increases melee damage rolls, attack rolls, Dodge, and Grapple rolls by 3X, but causes the character to lose X HP per round in addition to the EP upkeep.

Current Thoughts
These all already had interesting a differing flavors, so I didn't change them too much. Mostly, I just changed the wording on them a little bit.
- Psychic Shields activation cost was decreased by 1.

Damage Powers.
Energy Blast: A simple bolt of spiritual energy. Costs X to use, and can either deal 2d6 x X damage to a single target (no maximum range,) or 3X damage to every target within 50 feet, including those friendly to the caster.

Power Surge: The user sends forth a cone or ball of energy, dealing massive damage to massed enemies. Costs X to activate, and deals (1d6 + 1) x X damage to all creatures within a 10 foot radius of any spot within 150 feet of the caster, or all creatures within a 30 foot 90 degree cone, originating from the user.

Life-Leach: Cost is X, deals Xd8 damage to all creatures (including allies) within 20 feet, and the caster regains half of the damage dealt as HP.

Agony Bolt:
Fires a beam of pure energy that sears through the flesh of those it strikes. Costs X energy, and deals 2d4 x X damage to all those within a 100 foot line.

Telekinesis: You should know what this is. Cost to activate is 3 + X, and the user can move anything weighing up to twice their weight in any way they wish, so long as they maintain line of sight. Striking a target with an object using telekinesis deals (2 + 1d6) x X to each target, but an object can only be directed in one direction per round. IE: If you want to hit more than one creature per round, you've got to get an object of the appropriate shape, or have excellent aim. An object can be moved up to 50 feet per round.

Mind Cutter: Cut through creatures and objects alike with your mind, costs X energy and does 2d6 x X damage to one target that is within line of sight. This attack ignores the first 10 points of the targets Armor.

Pyrokinesis: Manipulate fire with your mind. Calling up a flame takes 4 + X energy. Fire deals 1d10 x X damage per round that it is within contact with a creature, and can be used in any shape that the user can imagine to hit multiple targets in a single round. Each target after the first takes a cumulative -2 to the attack and damage roll from the Power. Fire already present can be manipulated for X EP. The fire must be within 50 feet of the user.

Holy Fire:
Spiritual fire that burns your foes. Costs X to activate, and does 2d6 x X damage to one foe within 50 feet, or 1d6 x X damage to all enemies within a 10 foot radius of any spot within 150 feet of the user. This Power does not harm those who are friendly to the user unless they explicitly desire it.

Piercer: Sends a shard of shadow at a single target within 70 feet, costing X energy and dealing Xd12 damage. Can also be used against multiple targets, but each additional target after the first decreases X by 1 for the purposes of damage and requires an additional attack roll.

Devils Lightning: A line of dark lightning bursts out from the casters hands, striking all creatures behind it in an 80 foot line. Costs X, and deals (1d8 + 1) x X damage to all those that it hits.

Current Thoughts.
- All damage powers save for Holy Fire now harm allies.
-Energy Blast, Power Surge, Agony Bolt, Devils Lightning and Piercer had their ranges changed. Power Surge got +1 to its damage to make it slightly less random. Devils Lightning also got +1 to its damage for the same reason.
- Telekinesis had its wording changed, and had a maximum range added.
- Mind Cutter now ignores the first 10 AV.
- Pyrokinesis has been greatly fiddled with, and has had a range installed as well.

Movement Powers.
Flight: Self explanatory. Costs 3 + X energy to activate, and X energy per turn to maintain. Can move 5X feet per round. The user can carry another person with them.

Instant Transmission: Costs 10X to activate, and allows the user to teleport themselves and anyone who is touching them to anywhere they've already been or have line of sight to within X miles. In combat, the effect is delayed by 1 round, and can be interrupted if the character is unable to maintain concentration on it. The effects that interrupt this ability include: Having an orgasm, getting into a submission hold, or being stunned or knocked prone. The character takes anyone they're touching with them when they teleport.

Shadowstalker: Move from shadow to shadow silently and invisibly. Costs X energy, and allows you to teleport 20X feet so long as you begin and end your journey in a dark area, allowing you to bypass any obstacles (including Holy or Force Walls.)

Form of the Swarm: Costs 1 + 2X to activate and 1 EP upkeep. Allows the user to transform their body into a swarm of insects, rats, worms, bats, or other such unpleasant creatures. They cannot be attacked in this form, and can move up to 5X feet per turn, moving through or over things that they would have to go around in human form. Unfortunately, they cannot attack or use other abilities either, and cannot move over things that their swarm-like form could not naturally move over, such as bodies of water. Also, creatures can easily track you if they so choose, so long as they can keep up with you. This Power can be used when a character is Bound or in a Submission Hold at double the cost. Retaking human form takes a turn, for which the user is stunned and helpless.

Current thoughts
- Instant Transmission had some minor edits.
- Shadowstalker had a major range increase.
- Form of the Swarm is now good. You can use it to become a swarm of flying creatures, and it allows you to get out of submission holds and such.

Summons Powers.
Call Spirit: Call up a dead creature and offer it a piece of your soul for assistance. Costs 3X and no upkeep, but when the fight's over the spirit leaves. The spirit forms a corporeal body, with a Body stat equal to 10X. Spirits have a melee attack that deals 2d10 + Body/2 damage, and a ranged attack that deals 2d4 + Body/3 damage to a single creature that is within 50 feet. The spirit does not communicate, and is immune to any abilities or powers that would attempt to alters its allegiance. Attempting to drain a spirits HP or EP instead deals an amount of damage to the user that they would normally regain.

Fey Servant: Summons one of the Fey to aid the user in a task, but requires some additional service as payment. Will aid the user as they require, but will never fight against their own kind. Costs 4 EP to use. Only a single creature of each type can be summoned with each calling, though there is no limit to the number that can be supported at once. The Fey you can summon are:
Gruff/Kobold - A minor Fey warrior capable of aiding the user in combat. Requires nothing more than a kiss, though additional boons would certainly be... Appreciated.
Fey Sorceress/Troll - A more powerful Fey, either a potent caster or a mighty warrior. Requires that the user make love to them once they find a safe spot to rest.
Fey Knight - A powerful Fey warrior also capable of magic and spiritual powers. Can only be summoned when the user is up against a great many or very powerful demons, and then only if the user could not possibly win on their own. Requires only that demons be defeated in the course of their service.
Sphinx/Angel/Fey Lord - An incredibly powerful creature that brings untold amounts of power to bear against the users foes. Requires either that the user answer a simple riddle correctly, give them an impressive tale to tell, or grant them a boon similar to the one granted to the user. Which of these is up to the user and the fey itself.

Summon Demon:
Summons a demon of the type of the casters choosing to perform some task. Costs 4 EP to make the call, plus some additional fee depending on the demon called upon. When summoned, the demon obeys the casters order to the best of their ability, even going up against other demons, though they won't throw themselves to their deaths. Multiple demons of each type can be summoned for the price of a single calling, but each must be payed separately before they will depart. Demons summoned in this way that die are not destroyed, merely banished, but do not require payment unless they succeeded in whatever task the caster called them for. The demons are:
Stalker/Goblin/Demon Soldier - A minor demon warrior with moderate combat skills. Requires some form of sexual release as additional payment, though foreplay is generally sufficient.
Succubus/Stalker Lightmage/Devouring Slime - A more powerful demon, capable of powerful magic. Requires that the caster allow the demon to feed off of them until they are sated once their task is fulfilled.
Hellhound/Nightmare/Greater Tentacled Horror - An incredibly dangerous creature, capable of besting most other demons in single combat with relative ease. Requires that the user bear them a litter once their work is done, however.
Demon Lord- An incredibly powerful and dangerous opponent with almost unlimited options. Unfortunately, requires that the user return a favor to the demon lord of the demons choice once their obligation is fulfilled.

Current thoughts
- Summon Demon and Fey Servant got some language alterations. No other changes.
- Call Spirit now has rules.

Weapon Powers.
Energy Blade: Think Raziel or the plasma sword from Halo. Creates a burning beam of energy that extends three feet out from the users hand, acting like a sword. Costs 4 + X energy to bring out and 1 energy per turn to maintain. The blade may be of any thickness or color, up to the users choice. Attacking with it does Xd6 + Spirit/3 damage, and a successful hit drains 1d6 EP from the enemy and adds it to the user. This damage ignores all armor and pain resistances. The user can summon and attack with it in the same turn. This power uses the characters Spirit or Body for the attack roll, whichever is higher.

Agony Lance: Similar to the Spirit Warriors Energy Blade, only in the form of a spear. Costs 3 + X energy to bring out and X - 1 energy per turn to maintain. Attacking with it does Xd12 + Spirit/4 damage, and a successful hit drains 1 HP and 1 EP from the enemy and adds it to the user. This damage ignores all armor and pain resistances. The weapon is always 10 feet long, allowing the wielder to attack enemies up to 10 feet away, and is almost always black, violet, or red. The user can summon and attack with it in the same turn. This power uses the characters Spirit or Body for the attack roll, whichever is higher.

Cudgel of the Blessed: Summons a club made of spiritual power. Costs 5 + X to activate and X to maintain. Allows the wielder to strike a creature with it for Xd10 + Spirit/3 damage. This damage ignores all armor and pain resistances. The user can summon and attack with it in the same turn. This power uses the characters Spirit or Body for the attack roll, whichever is higher.

Death-Whip: Creates a whip of pure living darkness attached to the users wrist. Costs 3 + X to activate and 2 EP upkeep. Allows the user to attack any 3 creatures within 10 feet of her with an attack that deals Xd4 + Spirit/3 damage. This damage ignores all armor and pain resistances. The user can summon and attack with it in the same turn. This power uses the characters Spirit or Body for the attack roll, whichever is higher.

Current thoughts
- Damage for all powers was increased. Some of them were changed significantly in other ways, but I'm too lazy to list them here.

Save or Die Powers.
Telepathy: To attempt to dominate a target, the cost is 2 + X, and the target must win a 3X vs Resistance check or follow the users orders until the end of combat, at which point they start to break free and must be dealt with in some other way. Actions that differ greatly from the creatures normal behavior might inspire another Resistance check to retain control of the creature.

Mind-Break: The user invades the mind of a single target that is within 50 feet and erases their memories. Costs 3 + X energy, and unless the target wins a Resistance vs 4X check, their mind is erased, leaving them a helpless cripple. This ability can also be used to erase parts of the subjects memories. If used in such a way, first, the user and her target must be connected via Telepathy, and second, the user spends 10 + X EP. The user and her target then make an opposed Resistance check, with the user getting a +X bonus to their check. If the target wins, the energy was wasted, but if the user wins, they can examine and rewrite the targets memories as they see fit.

Gorgons Gaze: An incredibly powerful ability. Costs 5 + X to use. Causes a single creature that is within 50 feet and that the user looks upon to instantly turn to stone, and remain that way forevermore, or until the user releases them, unless they win a Resistance vs 4X check. Note: PCs affected by this will be Paralyzed instead of insta-killed.

Binding: Holds a creature in invisible, unbreakable chains. Costs X to activate and X - 2 to maintain. A creature held in this manner has the Bound status, and must win a (4X + Your Resistance) vs (Enemies Resistance) check to break free.

Current thoughts
- The three instant death powers work very differently. Telepathy gets you a temporary ally, Binding only KOs an enemy until the end of the combat, and Mind Break and Gorgons Gaze are both simple death spells.
- Binding was cheapened and simplified.
- Mind break has had added functionality added, and has been decreased from 5X to 4X.
- Gorgons gaze got the same drop in power as Mind Break.
- Telepathy has been cheapened, and has had the check decreased from 5X to 3X.

GargantuaBlarg

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

...I know it's only -1, but I already had a bad enough time trying to cast shit at that Juggernaut! I liked the possibility for armorwizards, too...

I don't think capping at at EP/6 total with the current numbers and stuff will work. Were I to use Gorgon Gaze, I'd have a vs res of all of 8, for one.

If I'm not derping with this theoretical ceiling:

My Telepathy - Dominate would have a max vs res of 15. IIRC, the tiniest monsters have about 20 resistance. Turning an enemy into an ally is a powerful effect, sure, but if I max it out I've got barely a chance to get me even one of the weaker little dudes. In the very likely even that it fails, I make no progress for that whole turn while all the mean monsters get to punch me.

Even with the ceiling applying to just X, my dominate would have all of 21 vs res.

I'm not sure how the resistance checks actually work, but those are all pretty low.

My favorite characteristic of the Spirits were the whole "alpha strike" most spirit powers had - one big chunk of destructiveness at once, at the cost of a ton of energy. It was OP, sure, but it was defining and interesting, and I still would like you to reconsider maybe just doubling/tripling costs-per-X or reflecting damage back onto the player instead.

I swear I saw on the template thingy that there was "+1 reload time: add 3 points" and "-1 reload time: -1 point", but I'll play with the crossbow some more, then. No dice on getting RoF back for bows? And that means the rifles and stuff only fire once a turn, too, right?

Unknown Squid

Aurani's Wife
Reputation score

Just to fix the maths a bit, assuming I haven't made an error myself...

Naltaibur has 44 EP, so would have a spirit limit of 7 if going with the limit=S/6 option. Which uses the X value for the limit.

For using Mind Break, that gives you a value of 28 for your opposed res roll, at a cost of 10 EP.
If you spend 5 EP over the limit, for an X value of 12, you get a vs res of 48, at a cost of 20 EP and 5 HP.

For using Dominate, that gives you a value of 21 for your opposed res roll, at a cost of 9 EP.
If you spend 5 EP over the limit, for an X value of 12, you get a vs res of 36, at a cost of 19 EP and 5 HP.

Naltaibur's true limit of what she can do before rendering herself unconscious due to energy loss, is cast casting with X at either 23 or 24, depending on power used, giving an opposed roll bonuses of 64 or 51, at a cost of virtually all EP and and 16 to 17 HP loss.

GargantuaBlarg

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Light Crossbow
DMG: 3d8 + 3 [6-16.5-27]
RNG: 60
RLD: 1t
AV 5
The lath of this crossbow is thinner than its counterpart, making it easier to pull back into position, but

increasing the rate at which the bolt's velocity drops off. Or something. Physics!
[3 2 3 4 0 3 1]

Crossbow
RNG: 90
RLD: 2t
AV 5
A mechanical bow, mounted on a stock. The lath (bow) is thick and heavy, and a metal stirrup protrudes from the far

end.
[3 2 3 7 0 0 1]

Heavy Crossbow
DMG: 3d12 + 1 [4-20.5-37] OR 4d10 [4-22-40]
RNG: 90
RLD: 3t
AV 10
This crossbow's lath is made of metal. It delivers much more power, but it is harder to draw the string back,

requiring the use of a slow cranking mechanism built into the bow.
[3 4 1 7 0 -3 2]

Also some playaround stuff.
Repeating Bow
DMG: 2d12 + 2 [4-15-26]
RNG: 80
SHT: 6
RLD: 3t
More a dart-thrower than a crossbow, an advanced mechanism allows you to store energy by cranking it before actually firing, which then automatically resets it for you after each shot. A small hopper holding six darts attaches to the top of the crossbow, which drops darts in as you fire. Unfortunately, the mechanism cannot store the energy required to reload a normal crossbow, which makes this weapon more comparable to a shortbow in power.
[0 6 2 6 5 -3 0]

Longbow
DMG: 2d6 + 1 + body/3 [3-8-13]
RNG: 100
RLD: 0t
AV 5
A longbow, measuring some six feet in length. It can propel an arrow great distances.
0 0 1 8 0 6 1

Shortbow
DMG: 2d8 + 2 + body/3 [4-11-18]
RNG: 60
AV 10
The closer proximity to the target allows the archer using this bow to pick her shots more effectively.
0 2 2 4 0 6 2

Composite bow
DMG: 3d6 + 2 + body/3 [5-12.5-20]
RNG: 80
AV 5
Sonethibg somthe fuck it's only 2 AM and I almost passed out.
3 0 2 6 0 6 1

If call spirit summons a ghost that can't talk, does that mean I can't use it to summon up ghosts to talk to for information and whatnot?

OP
Tassadar

Tassadar

Panda King
RP Moderator
Reputation score

@Call Spirit: Something I probably should have been more explicit with: They won't communicate with your ENEMIES. Keylo asked about that too. It's just supposed to be another caveat saying that they can't be turned against you in any way.

Resistance checks are d20 + Something vs d20 + Something. Those somethings being either a set value (for powers) or an actors Resistance stat. Most Tier 1 monsters have about 15 Resistance, while most Tier 2 and 3 Monsters have about 20. It's only the bosses that you have to worry about.

Edit: @Gargantua: You can still alpha strike, it's just more costly now if you go above your EP limit.

Edit Again: While doing thetwos and rangers post, I noticed that I hadn't finished Tornado, and while I was fixing it, I added a couple of spells. I think that everything except for Body got at least one knew spell.

Last edited:
OP
Tassadar

Tassadar

Panda King
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Attention all: The time of the edits have finally come to an end, as today, July 29, 2011, marks the day that the altered Spirit Powers were copied into the character creation thread, the new Spirit ceiling stat was officially made official, and the change to the speed formula became completely official. People should start changing their sheets ASAP, and as I post for you, I'll be sending PMs to you about what needs changing on your sheet.

Things that everybody needs to check the stats for:
Weapons. Also, GargantuBlarg, I put your crossbows in the weapons thread. I didn't put in your other weapons though, mostly for great lazyness.
Speed. Everyone should use the new formula, Square root of [Body * 10]
Casting and Spirit Ceiling. Both are now decreased by the Encumbrance Value of any armor worn by the character. Spirit Users need to figure out their spirit ceiling stat and put it on their sheets.

Also, everyone should welcome the new Magic element: Arcane. I officially cannot add anything else to Magic, as I have reached the character limit for a post for it.

I'll be allowing people to respec their characters slightly, if they so desire.

GargantuaBlarg

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

I didn't notice my formatting was off with the crossbows - here it is, cleaned up.

Light Crossbow
The lath of this crossbow is thinner than its larger counterpart, making it easier to pull back into position, but increasing the rate at which the bolt's velocity drops off.
RNG: 60 feet
RLD: 1 turn
Ignores 5 AV

Crossbow
A mechanical bow, mounted on a stock. The lath (bow) is thick and heavy, and a metal stirrup protrudes from the far end.
RNG: 90 feet
RLD: 2 turns
Ignores 5 AV

Heavy Crossbow
This crossbow's lath is made of metal. It delivers much more power, but it is harder to draw the string back, requiring the use of a slow cranking mechanism built into the bow.
DMG: 3d12 + 1 [4-20.5-37] OR 4d10 [4-22-40]
RNG: 90 feet
RLD: 3 turns
Ignores 10 AV

Termite

A bug
RP Moderator
Reputation score

I'm calling bullshit on EV affecting the Spirit Ceiling. With her gear on Alexandra has a ceiling of 1, and that's bullshit.

thetwo

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

(Just posting this here because apparently attachments can't work without a post to be attached to. And it's for DG2 anyway.)

Attachments

Last edited:

Incubus

Horn Dog
Reputation score

I'm calling bullshit on EV affecting the Spirit Ceiling. With her gear on Alexandra has a ceiling of 1, and that's bullshit.
Yeah, it sucks when mages can't wear so much armour they're practically a literal spell turret. Hwo dare there finally be some reason to not wear the heaviest armour one can, especially with the changes to speed giving casters a chance to not be immobile.

Termite

A bug
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Yeah, it sucks when mages can't wear so much armour they're practically a literal spell turret. Hwo dare there finally be some reason to not wear the heaviest armour one can, especially with the changes to speed giving casters a chance to not be immobile.
Because my character is TOTALLY a spirit user.

Let's put this a different way.

If a spirit user decides to dabble in melee combat they can without any real drawbacks. All that character needs to do is take Spirited Fighter. The same goes with a mage and Wise Fighter. But a warrior doesn't get that same courtesy when crossing classes. The spirit ceiling is already greatly lowered due to the lower EP pool, and reducing that even further through armor renders any Spirit abilities virtually useless unless they want to burn themselves in the process.

But now that I wrote that I'm starting to see a different side. Armors and shields allow a warrior to absorb or avoid damage that a typical mage or spirit user could not, so they technically have the health to sacrifice. They just burn through EP faster than everyone else.

Dangit, now I'm on the fence. I retract my previous statement of bullshit.

Hafnium

Despair Fetishist
RP Moderator
Reputation score

It does affect warrior types who dabble in spirit more than spirit types, in a way. Spirit users are slowed to a crawl and their spirit ceiling will still likely be between 5-10 with medium-heavy armor. Warriors would likely be faster but with a lower or negative spirit ceiling using the same (now I'm curious as to how negative spirit ceiling works). Overall, spirit ceiling is probably more valuable than speed as a stat.

That said, the loss of spirit ceiling does chip away at a spiritual user's main stat. A warrior can still hit things in the face with a stick (pointy or not) just fine, even with lowered ceiling and next to no EP remaining. Besides that, most warrior types seem to take spiritual powers for utility and buffs, which are still useful even at lower EP casts. I won't suggest that the loss of spirit ceiling out-and-out harms spirit users more, as they have more to begin with, but it does harm their main source of damage.

It really just adds a few more decisions during character development, in my opinion.

Additional note: A standard spirit user (Say, 10-20 body, 40-50 spirit) wading into melee (or trying to out-kite faster monsters) in medium-heavy armor at 3-8 speed is kind of asking for a grapple and stripping, as well. Warriors have a slightly easier time there (although the RNG hates every class equally).

OP
Tassadar

Tassadar

Panda King
RP Moderator
Reputation score

I think I'd planned to add a minimum value to both Spirit Ceiling and Base Casting, since they're now reduced by EV, in order to compensate for that, but I somehow forgot it. Probably 3, which still isn't a lot, but at least removes the problem of Warriors dipping in Spirit Powers and/or Magic getting negatives in said stats.

Shrike7

Lurker
Reputation score

I'll be gone on vacationg for a week. Doesn't really affect anyone, seeing as I'm in a solo thread, but yeah. See ya guys!

OP
Tassadar

Tassadar

Panda King
RP Moderator
Reputation score

So, I know I said that I wasn't gonna do any more rules changes, but........

Well, buffs for Magic are, as they stand, fairly useless. They're expensive to maintain, and not nearly as effective as Spirit Powers at providing combat bonuses. As such, I believe I shall either be dropping their upkeep cost completely, or making it so that, no matter what, the EP costs is never more than 1 per round for upkeep.

I also had a few more drastic changes in mind, like adding more spells and such, and even some more types of spells, like Touch and Trap. I would also like to add more skills. Both of those, however, I had planned to save for a future version of the rules. Anyone really looking forward to any of what I just mention,ed or can it wait?

thetwo

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

I'm perfectly fine with leaving spells at their current number, and honestly I think "skills" might need more then just variety to make them really useful, so I say leave things as they are, and do your re-build for DG3.

As for buffs... meh. Lowering upkeep is fine, sure. But PC's don't make good support characters even so, and that seems like what buffs would be good for. I guess it could also be used for some interesting encounters ("hey, try fighting these mooks that all have +20 body from buffs I cast before the fight! Sucker!").

Hafnium

Despair Fetishist
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Buffs do seem a little tame. The only time anybody really seems to use them is outside of combat, mostly before it begins when they've got nothing better to do. Which, it's understandable given that a small +8, +12, or whatever buff to body isn't usually as good as dishing out damage when it's possible. Perhaps drop the EP upkeep, make them last a number of rounds equal to some arbitrary number multiplied by spell level, and allow them to be used in the same turn as an attack? Or some combination of those. There would be a small incentive to go ahead and toss one up alongside casting a fireball or whatever, at least.

Re: skills, as much as I love warriors I think by this point most people who rolled a warrior have some bread 'n' butter strategy for how they deal with monsters. Shield fighters tend to use defensive strike, duelists have several options, two-weapon fighters can mix whirling death and rend for some incredible damage potential, and I'm about to charge into a group of seven feral creepers to supreme might + whirlwind for 2d12+51 slashing damage at 38 hit. >.>

So, while I don't think more variety is a bad thing, I don't think there's any rush to implement new skills. Let us theorycraft them to death first! :p

Tiffanian

Smut Slut
Reputation score

As for skills, I was looking at maybe taking one at some point through a talent, but realized that as a mage there was really one or maybe two skills that could be of any use to me (though I'm probably wrong), so it might be interesting to see some more skills added. Granted, I'll probably never actually get a skill at all, such is life.

On buffs, though, I would definitely appreciate a little bit of help for those. When I was building this character I had the vague idea that if worse came to worst I would have her buff her Body stat and try to have at something with her rapier. The only situation this is likely to happen, though, is when she needs to conserve EP for whatever reason, at which time a buff with an upkeep cost would be utterly pointless. Not a big issue I suppose, since my character should probably always be utterly worthless at stabbing things and I just didn't understand the system even a little when I was building the character, but something to consider. Other than that the only reason I'd use a buff would be if I need speed to gtfo of Dodge, or a buff to perception if I'm paranoid as fuck, etc, and considering how quick my EP drains without those, I probably shouldn't use them at all.