What's new

Contra-Style ROR Game - Back at it

OP
rydin32

rydin32

Sex Demon
Reputation score
Re: Contra-Style ROR Game - Sprite making challenge.

What about Logitech USB controllers?
Ill give it a try. Its difficult because I don't actually own one to make sure I'm doing it right.

Luppikun

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Can't you just make the controls customizable? or is that difficult?

UrineOnU

Cthulhu
Reputation score

Ok so i finished the sprites see above^^^^^ how should i give them to you, pm link to file share website of something else?

Also what type of area will be for the first level I'd like to make tile sets also.

random art
Possible boss?

Last edited:
OP
rydin32

rydin32

Sex Demon
Reputation score

Ok so i finished the sprites see above^^^^^ how should i give them to you, pm link to file share website of something else?
Whatever is easiest for you. That would work fine. As for the level, I think we will stick with a cyberspace theme throughout the game. I'm trying to think of what the first level of the internetz would look like. Perhaps its best to ask the fellow UMLFers. Don't get too in depth on bosses yet as I am deciding who shall make an appearance (thinking of sticking with the UMLF character based bosses). Minibosses on the other hand.... have at it.

Edit: My blind ass failed to notice the update with all the sprites. Awesome. I just plugged them in and everything worked perfectly like I had hoped (That does not happen often in the world of game design). I'm gonna get to work on it late tonight (I mean really late 2-5am) and hopefully Ill have something playable by tomorrow.

Last edited:

UrineOnU

Cthulhu
Reputation score

Whatever is easiest for you. That would work fine. As for the level, I think we will stick with a cyberspace theme throughout the game. I'm trying to think of what the first level of the internetz would look like. Perhaps its best to ask the fellow UMLFers. Don't get too in depth on bosses yet as I am deciding who shall make an appearance (thinking of sticking with the UMLF character based bosses). Minibosses on the other hand.... have at it.

Edit: My blind ass failed to notice the update with all the sprites. Awesome. I just plugged them in and everything worked perfectly like I had hoped (That does not happen often in the world of game design). I'm gonna get to work on it late tonight (I mean really late 2-5am) and hopefully Ill have something playable by tomorrow.
Oh yea.... i never used a background for the gifs so it would be easy to implement and separate the frames i sized down the total workspace(i like a lot more space to work with) for the running sprites for what i was going to send ya and i also beefed up her legs a bit for the standing still sprite because they are larger in the running ones but if it's ok now i guess i don't need too send it in a zip.....

Also I'm very surprised that it worked perfectly i usually screw up a lot.

If i make blocks 20x20 minimum would that would be good so tile blocks can snap to a grid better when its an even size and objects(like lamps and shit) can be separate and various sizes.

OK so I'll make a higher quality version of the boss in my last post for my other project then, so that way a pixel version concept is done and i can use it as reference I'll start making another enemy now also too add more variety.

Incubus

Horn Dog
Reputation score

Mm, midboss, you mean?

If bosses are ulmfers, you're going to need to put some thought into both their design and attacks to match the indivdual in question.

OP
rydin32

rydin32

Sex Demon
Reputation score

If bosses are ulmfers, you're going to need to put some thought into both their design and attacks to match the indivdual in question.
That's 150% true. Fortunately Ive already got a decent idea for a first boss. Some one was kind enough to send me an almost 12 paragraph message regarding what it would look like (UrineOnU, You will be getting a copy of said message once I figure out what aspects of it I can implement into the game and which ones I cannot). I thank them for that. The more details they give me, the easier it is for me to make.

I prefer to hear how people would like their boss to be and then I try to implement as much of that as possible.

I'm going to focus on the bosses and their designs after the first level is finished. Once that is done (and done well), I think I may post it in the 'Hentai Games' section for everyone to see. Hopefully It will get the attention of the regulars I'm looking to add. I'm not gonna put it there until it at least looks like a good stand alone game. We have been seeing way too many demos lately...

Midboss... miniboss... they are synonymous to me.

UrineOnU, Excellent work on the sprites. I liked that all of the sprites were the exact same size (60X60) and the character was in the same position in all of them. That made everything a lot easier. Just throw the sprites in, set all of their origins to 30,40 and be done with it. Fantastic. A 20X20 minimum will work great. Its much easier when things can just be snapped into place.

Easier = quicker
and that's what everyone wants.

Last edited:

Incubus

Horn Dog
Reputation score

I'd be curious to know who this someone was, if only to ensure it's someone who really is enough of an ulmfer, but eh, someone will undoubtably tell me off for thinking I'm qualified to make that decision :p

What kind of bosses did you want to go with? As in, what's their motivation? From there it's easier to make appropriate selections for who are good candidates.

OP
rydin32

rydin32

Sex Demon
Reputation score

I'd be curious to know who this someone was, if only to ensure it's someone who really is enough of an ulmfer, but eh, someone will undoubtably tell me off for thinking I'm qualified to make that decision :p

What kind of bosses did you want to go with? As in, what's their motivation? From there it's easier to make appropriate selections for who are good candidates.
Here's some of the things I look for:
1. Someone you see regularly and is quite memorable on the forums.
2. Usually a person with a certain personality or bad attitude.
3. It helps if they have a memorable avatar
4. The more popular/ones who contribute the most will be the later, more powerful, bosses.

Their goal: To stop unnamed girl from escaping the clutch of ULMF. We are short on H-game girls as it is....

UrineOnU

Cthulhu
Reputation score

Here's some of the things I look for:
1. Someone you see regularly and is quite memorable on the forums.
2. Usually a person with a certain personality or bad attitude.
3. It helps if they have a memorable avatar
4. The more popular/ones who contribute the most will be the later, more powerful, bosses.

Their goal: To stop unnamed girl from escaping the clutch of ULMF. We are short on H-game girls as it is....
And her name shall be "Unnamed Girl"

Incubus

Horn Dog
Reputation score

Mm, how many levels were you looking at doing? And who did you have in mind thus far?

For that matter, who would be an appropriate final boss? :/ That one's actually a tough call, because that theme doesn't really either of the admins. As much as I hate to say it, I think perhaps Oni would be the best choice for the final boss... thus crushing my dreams fo being a final boss once more :p

ToxicShock

(And Reputation Manager)
Staff member
Administrator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

I think an oni, an incubus, or a slime could be the final boss fairly. I think Toxic has a good slime feel to it, but no one wants to think about a slime being hazardous while inside of you, not to mention blueslime is actually a slime, so you don't have to make some mental jumps between my oscar the grouch like garbage/toxic waste barrel plague-like essence as a slime. And since I don't come to the construction thread much so I won't be contributing too much, I wouldn't be a high boss anyway. I'll settle for friendly npc though! :D

UrineOnU

Cthulhu
Reputation score

I think an oni, an incubus, or a slime could be the final boss fairly. I think Toxic has a good slime feel to it, but no one wants to think about a slime being hazardous while inside of you, not to mention blueslime is actually a slime, so you don't have to make some mental jumps between my oscar the grouch like garbage/toxic waste barrel plague-like essence as a slime. And since I don't come to the construction thread much so I won't be contributing too much, I wouldn't be a high boss anyway. I'll settle for friendly npc though! :D
Ok i'll make you into a rabbit pirate called "Toxic Mic Briggin Shock" he'll have fluffy ears and he gives tips and 1ups and cracks a joke from time to time
and also offers you coupons for stuff(coupons maybe unlock cg artwork just an idea for now and you have to find him hidden in every level).

Last edited:
OP
rydin32

rydin32

Sex Demon
Reputation score

Mm, how many levels were you looking at doing? And who did you have in mind thus far?

For that matter, who would be an appropriate final boss? :/ That one's actually a tough call, because that theme doesn't really either of the admins. As much as I hate to say it, I think perhaps Oni would be the best choice for the final boss... thus crushing my dreams fo being a final boss once more :p
You're a little ahead of my planing as I haven't put too much thought into this part yet but that's quite alright. The more I figure out now, the less I have to do later.

I was originally thinking of Darkfire as the last boss for two main reasons:
1. "Power" over the forum
2. If I remember correctly Darkfire has an interest in ryona which could lead to some very final-boss-like awesome/brutal attacks.

Toxic and Oni were high on my list.

I will know exactly how many levels I plan on doing after the first one is complete. That will give us an idea of how long each one will take to complete and we will be able to divide our time and plan accordingly.

Ok i'll make you into a rabbit pirate called "Toxic Mic Briggin Shock" he'll have fluffy ears and he gives tips and 1ups and cracks a joke from time to time
and also offers you coupons for stuff.
When I think Toxic, I think of one who calls it like it is and exposes the morons for who they are regardless of what anyone thinks. usually in an abusive way of course.

When I talk about contribution I'm referring to real contribution not the 'under construction' contribution.

Last edited:

ToxicShock

(And Reputation Manager)
Staff member
Administrator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Great, now I'm a furry pirate

Incubus

Horn Dog
Reputation score

You're a little ahead of my planing as I haven't put too much thought into this part yet but that's quite alright. The more I figure out now, the less I have to do later.

I was originally thinking of Darkfire as the last boss for two main reasons:
1. "Power" over the forum
2. If I remember correctly Darkfire has an interest in ryona which could lead to some very final-boss-like awesome/brutal attacks.

Toxic and Oni were high on my list.

I will know exactly how many levels I plan on doing after the first one is complete. That will give us an idea of how long each one will take to complete and we will be able to divide our time and plan accordingly.

When I think Toxic, I think of one who calls it like it is and exposes the morons for who they are regardless of what anyone thinks. usually in an abusive way of course.

When I talk about contribution I'm referring to real contribution not the 'under construction' contribution.
Mm, Dark just never felt like an antagonist to me, but I can't fault your logic there. As Toxic himself said though, he's remarkably unsuitable to be a boss.

How are your actual game mechanics going to go? How is damage handled? How is H-attacks handled? Is it simply "get hit, short animation, then death" as one might expect given the contra roots?

ToxicShock

(And Reputation Manager)
Staff member
Administrator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Well I mean, there was the plague boss in gauntlet :D
Then again, sexually? Yup, might as well be The Great Mighty Poo

Luppikun

Tentacle God
Reputation score

GODDAMMIT TOXIC! THAT SONG IS STUCK IN MY HEAD NOW!

Oh, and I wanna be in the game somehow too!

OP
rydin32

rydin32

Sex Demon
Reputation score

Mm, Dark just never felt like an antagonist to me, but I can't fault your logic there. As Toxic himself said though, he's remarkably unsuitable to be a boss.

How are your actual game mechanics going to go? How is damage handled? How is H-attacks handled? Is it simply "get hit, short animation, then death" as one might expect given the contra roots?
No hes not an antagonist at all. He is a keeper of peace. and if there is a naked girl running around killing UMLFers and destroying everything in her path. He would have to put a stop to it.

H-attacks are as follows. When the player is struck by a object (enemy or projectile) they go flipping through the air and land on their back identical to contras death animation. However, instead of immediately respawning, They lie there until a enemy comes into contact with their body (Very similar to Unholy Sanctuary). In the future Id like to add a Status bar that shows more detail but that has not been implemented yet.

Health? Where we are going we don't need health. Its gonna be one hit kills of course. I'm not going to make the game 'Nintendo-hard' but it wont be easy.

I'm going to put together the demonstration tomorrow night instead of tonight. I have a horrible headache and I'm just gonna crash for the night.

Last edited:

Host

Lurker
Reputation score

Inky: I'd be curious to know who this someone was, if only to ensure it's someone who really is enough of an ulmfer, but eh, someone will undoubtably tell me off for thinking I'm qualified to make that decision
rydin32: Some one was kind enough to send me an almost 12 paragraph message regarding what it would look like
Host: I think I have a good boss room idea, if you don't find yourself too swamped with everything else involved in the project. Or, if we could find a third infernal ULMFer... between that person, Inky, and myself, we could pull off a decent miniboss squad.
*Whistles*