What's new

Chapter 5 Home is where the Heart is (Ubberific) GMed by ranger

Ubberific

Tentacle God
Reputation score
Re: Chapter 4 An Uncertain Future(Ubberific) GMed by ranger

Limit? The rogue thought briefly, before deciding to see if she's actually getting the hang of this tech "Target highest threat!" the rogue awaited to see if the device responded. Likely if it did work the Mobile Canon was instantly light up, reading 'Deadly' as it's threat assessment? "Show me... enemy targets." her attempts were either met with glee at the success or a light sigh at the failed experiment, either way soon enough the golem sprung to life as slowly the rogue was carried onwards!

For it's size each step didn't echo out in a earth shattering stomp, infact the golem was quite frankly surprisingly speedy and precise, as if it's immense power was strictly concentrated "Oh.... this is wierd." she'd giggle happily, as wierd as it was stomping in a mountain sized golem was just an experience!

Still as they walked out the rogue had to ask "Say Jen, this thing is smart with it's threat measurements right?" she'd glance up "It seems to be affraid of the Mobile cannon." she'd listen out to Janets explanation, perhaps even a story why there were so few of these 'deadly threats' around... although the rogue may have heard the story before.

Then... the girls reached their practice area "Just remember how you felt in the armor." Rikke blinked "Eh? Er... sure?" she'd look forward, the armor was literally just that -armor, this was a mountain sized golem! Still as the rogue braced herself a message appeared infront of her letting her know she was in control... although she really didn't need the message to tell her that.

Instantly Rikke felt her senses activate as she seemingly felt the ground and the wind around her, as if she was in part the golem! The rogue instictively stepped back only for the golem to take a step back and take a similar position as the rogue would! Silent amazement rushed through the girls body as she'd look to her hands seemingly seeing through the golems eyes, clenching her fists a few time similarly to how she got used to the armor.

Still silent the rogue took a step forward then back, before lightly croaching and standing... Rikke bit down on her lip as she'd smile with mischief before suddenly she'd command the golem to croach subtly and jump up with all it's might! All the while the rogue would try to feel out whether she felt any potential armaments on this crazy thing!

OP
ranger

ranger

Tentacle God
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Instantly the target locked onto the death can highlighting it red. Nodding Rikke gave her next command and saw a blue line flash across her vision before a voice chirped in. "No targets detected." Still she had little time as Janet moved the Widow onward, with Janet giggling about Rikke's weird feeling.

Midway to the target area Rikke spoke up again. "Say Jan, this thing is smart with it's threat measurements right?" She got an affirmative from Janet. "It seems to be affraid of the Mobile cannon." There was a pause as Widow turned around and looked at Sophia. Rikke heard a sharp intake of breath as they stood still. "It can be. Shes fully functional." There was another pause before they got moving. "The reason for that is they don't make them like that anymore. With the wide spread use of units like the widow the big heavy tanks have fallen out of favor. They are still effective and deadly but only because the ones used by the Southren Crolian forces have the Agitha system. But Im sure you don't want to hear about that."

Finally reaching the destination Janet let Rikke have control. Looking threw the eyes of the golem. It was strange but it seemed the thing was responding to her will even though Rikke knew she was seated. It was like she wasn't crouching down Rikke jumped and got a surprising amount of air. Behind her she heard Janet shout in shock and surprise maybe even cuss before Rikke felt the control slip away. Looking around surprised Rikke saw they where hovering. "Whoa whoa their Rikke. It may look sleek but this is still a 12 ton unit. We don't want to cause a minor earth quake by jumping.

Ubberific

Tentacle God
Reputation score

"Why'd you say that?" Rikke looked to Janets dismissal of the story "What's the Agitha system?" sure the rogue couldn't quite understand the majority of the technobabble used, however the essence of the stories surrounding these machines did indeed interest the rogue. Still Janet would have to promise to explain later as they had reached the training ground.

With the rogues jump halted Rikke laughted merrily and grinned "Daw~ Spoilsport. So it can hover as well?" she'd look down curiously, without the Vytals open sides and open nature this felt much safer "If we get into a fight, will you expect me to be polite and careful as well, hum~~" she'd smirk wickedly, still janet was the main pilot... giving full control to the mischievious rogue already cost the wargs a fully functional armor suit before. Giving her a whole 12 ton battle golem... was an idea best reserved when they were a safe distance from anything expensive.

OP
ranger

ranger

Tentacle God
RP Moderator
Reputation score

"No but I don't need you breaking anything in the nest either." Yep she had guessed as much. Still you would think Janet would know that she wasn't going to break something... at lest not on purpose. "Anyway to answer your question Agitha. It stands for Artificial Guardian Intelligence Tactical Human Assistant. Its a fully formed A.I. built from the combined psychological profiles of its crew." There was a pause before Janet sighed. "Its basically an artificial person made up from the minds of its crew. Anyway as a fully formed AI it can act, think, and feel on its own. The only trouble is that the AI is really attached to its crew and when they die they.... tend to go berserk."

Last edited:

Ubberific

Tentacle God
Reputation score

As the duo just hovered mid-air, the view of the jungle streetching out below them... Rikke and Janet had some time to chat, all the while the rogue getting more comfortable with the golems subtelties "Wait... so these A.I.s they're what I used to call er... 'Mana sculptures' like Sauls Adda right?" Rikke eagerly listened to the answer as she pieced more of the worlds details in her mind "And the Mobile Cannons, shared an AI just like all of Sauls house... only among seperate er..." "Tanks. We call them Tanks." Janet helped the rogue along as she listened to Rikke lightly amused at the heroine piecing together their worlds intricacies.

Rikke relaxed and thought it over briefly "So effectively you create an entity of sorts, thats formed to be the groups perfect leader. One that knows every little detail about them... but..." the rogue leaned out of her position subtly "If you created them from technology, shouldn't they only know a few commands? But if they feel emotions and think on their own... they're not that seperate from you and me... are they?"

The rogue thought back to all the mana constructs or A.I.s she had seen on her long trip through the future, from Adda to the driver and even to her own personal Michigo. While the rogue saw them only as simple constructs created to fullfill a single purpose, if they felt...

Either way the duo would likely soon enough be reminded to continue their battle tests. though Janets words would linger in the rogues mind for some time.

OP
ranger

ranger

Tentacle God
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Listening to Rikke Janet put in input where she could even helping the rogue out with some of the more subtle information. As Rikke finished up her train of though Janet began a slow decent down to the ground again. "Yes Ida can feel, but Saul had to limit her in her dealings with others so that she just seems to be an interactive program. And before you ask its because fully formed A.I. is technically illegal. I won't bore you with the details but lets just say there was an incident where a fully formed A.I. was mistreated but sense she was not a physical person she had no rights. Needless to say she crashed the power grid of Endus for a week. In the aftermath any fully formed A.I. where given basic rights and any new ones where banned from being created. Sophia and her sisters where made before the ban while Ida was someone in between." Rikke felt Widow land their small flight having ended. "Okay you got any more questions about them or can we move on to my favorite part. Weapon's tests."

Ubberific

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Rikke listened to the tale with fair interest, before the girls were set for something much more exciting! "Just one more question..." the rogue would halt the impending explosions a few brief moments more "So the AIs they can be chosen to have emotions or not? Like now after this incident, they are no longer given emotions?" she'd continue her question "Then the AI's that are still fully formed, if they feel and they see their hollowed friends... wouldn't they want to help or feel I don't know... opressed... sad?" perhaps the rogue was overthinking and it was likely Janet didn't have all the answers, though by the sounds of the future people seemed to create a whole new form of... life? One that they quickly turned to hollow out and disable.

Still with that one last question the rogue was set, they were in a towering sleak and armed golem of war! This was hardly a time for philosophic discussion! "Well alright! Lets see what this thing can do!--- Just... tell me what NOT to do first." she'd smile sheepishly.

Last edited:
OP
ranger

ranger

Tentacle God
RP Moderator
Reputation score

There was a pause while Janet thought but still prepped for the coming tests. After a few moments the girl spoke again. "Can you choose to turn of your emotions Rikke? I'm sure you can suppress them for a little bit but turn them off completely. I don't think anyone who is not mentally damaged can do that. I cannot tell you what Ida thinks or even Sophia for that matter but I do know they don't feel bad for the less capable programs out their. Im sure they might have sympathy but besides the few fully formed A.I. the other programs are not alive. They don't have the capability for independent thought or reason, they are just a program. If they where capable of such things then Im sure the A.I. out there would have petitioned for their rights. Just like Saul is doing for Ida. A moment later a big red Armed came up. "Okay I got the missile test up and running. Fire only two we don't want to spend another hour rearming if we blow our load in the first five minutes. It should work just like it did in Candance let me know when your ready." Once Rikke was ready a series of flat disks launched from a hidden location. Each one popping up with a blue box.

Ubberific

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Janet was right, both the rogue herself and the knight could only guess what the A.I.s felt or thought... if she was going to dig deeper into this - she'd need to ask Ida herself.

With a bright alert flashing before her, it seemed the prep work had been complete. The massive golem would subtly shift as numerous low grumbling and machinery

Rikke would silently smile and give a subtly look up at Janet, the joke was too easy... it was the lowest hanging fruit in the garden... "Oh~ I know a few tricks to make the load last." but it was far too tempting to just ignore, though with so many possible comments to be made the rogue couldn't help, but think she'd remember this moment with a better pick awhile later.

"Alright... walk me through this, okay?" while guessing and testing her luck always worked wonders, this golem the rogue wanted to properly learn how to use and operate. From it's towering height to it's design and aura of power... no way would she blunder a chance to let loose in this!

OP
ranger

ranger

Tentacle God
RP Moderator
Reputation score

"Normaly weapon selection is either automatic or manual. For example I often set my defense missles to automatic and let the machine target and fire on its own. It can be wasteful sense it will target any threat. but sense I have a weapons officers with me today she can target important things. All you have to do is spot a target such as the disks and chose what weapon to fire. On your left is the inventory of armaments. They can be selected by voice commands." Looking left Rikke saw a list that seemed to float in her vision listing several weapons mostly missiles. It seemed she had a nice selection of 50 defense missiles, 10 Antiaircraft missiles and 10 antitank missiles. Antiaircraft or AA are for things like Vitals while Antitank are for things like Sophia, the defense missiles are to counter enemy missiles fired at us. Ill control the AC rifle. So when your ready shoot the targets down. We will fire some of each.

Ubberific

Tentacle God
Reputation score

"Anti... tank. Anti... aircraft." with Janet explaining what a tank was, adding an anti infront of a certain type clearly hinted at it's use "Okay..." she'd listen out to the detailed explanation and smiled "Got it! So I just pick them out and you fire?" seemed the rogue would play the Scouts role with Janet barring down the golems might upon the unfortunate ones.

"Ready when you are, Janet!" hopefully without much incident or worry the two could complete the basic training exercise!... although the rogue almost wished she could use the giant golem herself, albeit it would likely be risky.

OP
ranger

ranger

Tentacle God
RP Moderator
Reputation score

It was all to easy and Rikke felt the golom shudder from the launch of the missiles. Despite its apparent power and weight the armored suit still felt the weapons launch. Watching the weapons streak for their targets Rikke was rewarded with a large explosion. "Very good! Now Im giving you control to get a feel for the unit again lead us out of the base. And remember Rikke this isn't a light jog your in a multi-ton weapon of war.. each step has weight to it. Once again Rikke felt the sensation of drifting before once more she could feel the ground beneath her and the wind on her skin.

Ubberific

Tentacle God
Reputation score

"Woohoo!" Rikke cheered out with a huge smile at the series of explosions! These were more like huge fireballs than some overgrown grenades! "What other weapons do we have?" there had to be a reason why this thing was shaped like a humanoid and not akin to the 'tanks'

Still first Rikke would need to learn the basics of movement in this thing. As the controls shifted the rogue looked around her curiously, before feeling the golems control given to her! She'd snicker lightly "This won't cease to feel odd will it?" this time not quite pushing the machines limits the rogue behaved, getting the hang of turning, walking even attempting a few speedy sidesteps if the golem managed it.

OP
ranger

ranger

Tentacle God
RP Moderator
Reputation score

"Nope though your taking it very well. Cassandra's first time in her mech she puked from the disorientation." Janet grunted a few times at the sudden turns before speaking up. "Sorry Im okay just not used to being a passenger in these things." A moment later some notifications popped up in front of Rikke. 'M4A7E12 autocannon unlocked', 'Mark 7 close combat weapon unlocked'. "Okay Rikke Ive unlocked the rest of the weapons for you to try out. Though well have to leave the nest to use them."

Ubberific

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Rikke puckerd her lips in delight and smiled slyly an auto-cannon and a close quarter weapon... could it be? The heroine subtly bit down on her lower lip, still keeping a grin "May I?" she'd ask slyly for permission to leave, afterall her previous movement act.... kinda made Janet take away control from the rogue.

With Janets permission Rikke would smile and call out "Golem, check for any life signs infront of us." it was worth a shot, if the way was clear the rogue would first slowly, but quite rapidly picked up speed and began to run to a safer spot, her stomps aimed to more desloate patches of ground not to harm any forests.

Once the duo reached a distance dubbed safe by Janet, Rikke could get to work "Alright... let's see..." first up to test was the Close Quarter weapon!

OP
ranger

ranger

Tentacle God
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Asking the golum for life signs didn't provide a response and after waiting a moment Janet spoke up. "Widow any heat signatures of human size or large in our immediate vicinity." Almost immediately a voice spoke up "Negative" it seemed the rogue was free to play. "Okay transferring weapon control to you Rikke. Next to her seat where a sheath would have been small stick popped up. Grabbing it RIkke pulled it out only to see the mech mimic the same action. Once more the voice spoke up. "Transferring to harness mode. A small humm echoed out with Rikke feeling herself lifted into a near standing position. Which coupled with the the ghost feelings from the mech made her stomach churn slightly. Looking out Rikke saw a silver blade as long as a small tree and as wide as a person. The blade glinted in sunlight and Rikke felt a weight in her hand though it seemed to not match what her eyes saw. Feeling her feet touch down her weight was no longer being supported and she stumbled a little with the mech doing as well. Even her arm where the blade a was held jerked on its own to mimic her almost dropping the weapon.

Last edited:

Ubberific

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Stomach churning and disorienting or not, Rikke was nothing short of mesmerized "The golem can wield a sword?" indeed the small stick mimicked the weight of a weapon, albeit not quite accurately. With the new positioning Rikke attempted to move around carefully, before giving a few light swishes of the sword, not real strikes, but more to feel out the odd sensation "So... I'm guessing I shouldn't move too quickly not break it right?"

As Janet expalined, she'd note Rikkes movements grew rapidly more confident, with the light swings starting to resemble an actual combat stance than just blind and blank swings. While the rogue didn't attempt her signature technique quite yet, she would pick up the speed of the swings starting a light shadow fencing battle, the attacks slowly and carefully growing in speed to see just when the golems body began to cry or creak....or a huge 'stop it' alarm began it's beeping.

If the golem proved more flexible than it should be soon enough the rogue began to display sword techniques that were nothing short of impressive even to Janet, forcing the golem even with it's huge frame to use some dodging techniques as well?! Finishing off her display with only one Lightning strike out of the three that she usually does.

OP
ranger

ranger

Tentacle God
RP Moderator
Reputation score

The widow was responsive but it would never be as responsive as her own body. She could already tell she was pushing the maximum of its speed. Though much to her satisfaction no warning blared out or ominous creaks of stress metal echoed. Once her sword play was done They would try out the auto cannon which basically turned out to be an over sized rifle. Firing a few shots Rikke quickly got the feel for it and its controls. Once that was done Janet resumed control and Rikke was left as the passenger again. Hearing the final flight confirmations Rikke saw the two of them lift off the ground before they began to speed over the jungle.

For the first part of the trip Janet was silent her task focusing on flying. Though it wasn't a complete loss Rikke did manage to see the jungle up close and even managed to pass some of the large lizards right up close. It was kinda peaceful really the light humm of the machine almost putting Rikke to sleep. Though eventually Janet began to slow and Rikke's targeting display popped up. "Heads up Rikke we are entering the dead zone. We are officially in enemy territory." Looking about Rikke could see the blasted remains of small towns and the withered remains of trees even the water looked like a muddy mess. Burned out cars lined the roads as well as several armored ones. They where all burned to a crisp just rusting metal. Looking further ahead Rikke saw three blue squares pop up. Though next to each writing indicated they where out of range.

Ubberific

Tentacle God
Reputation score

With her sword skills on full display, even if the golem wasn't as speedy as the heroine it was more then good enough to use the sword "With all the rockets I'm guessing a sword is a last resort." Rikke smiled casually as she kept testing the golems limits, her previously light swishes now having turned into seemingly truly dangerous attacks. Each one slashing across the air with enough force for huge dust balls or ever trees to seemingly free from the absurd might.

Rikke would listen out to Janet explain just how combat worked in her time, with all the 'anti' seemed misilies were the go to weapon, but she couldn't be sure. Still after that and after using... a golem sized auto-rifle... the girls were free to leave.

"So whats the plan? Where are we heading?" Rikke would look to Janet to elaborate on the mission details, even if the knight had a delicate tast hopefully she could manage to relay the simple info.

From the fairly lush forests, soon enough the duo arrived... at an area that would be nothing short of a wasteland "What the heck happened her?" Rikke looked to the husts of previous advanced civilization, even if she was told the info upon seeing directly a refreshed seemed appropriate.

"M? The golem's seeing 3 somethings up ahead." Rikke looked curiously to the three cubes, unfortunately the heroines prefered way of moving from enemy territory - stealth... Was a tricky matter in a mountain sized craft....

OP
ranger

ranger

Tentacle God
RP Moderator
Reputation score

"I have to say Rikke that was some fairly impressive sword play. Lets hope we don't have to use it on this mission. Speaking of which our goal is a small shrine just with in our allies border. The reason we took Widow is two fold. One its fast and two the location of the object in question is very very near the border of the dead zone. Speaking of which here it is." It wasn't an unfamiliar site Rikke had seen it once before when she was flying to the nest the first time. Though she had gotten a brief explanation she had almost forgotten about it and decided to speak with Janet about it. "Yeah this whole area is the result of the demon incursion. Each year it grows a little bit bigger. Well...... the jungle around the nest seems to fight it back. I couldn't tell you exactly what is causing it or why its happening though some of the egg heads think the demons are feeding on the life force of the planet. Either way any expeditions in there have to be short as the place just seems to suck your energy away." It was then that Widow's sensors picked up the targets. Making it know she heard an affirmative from Janet before the golum dipped down and landed kicking up tons of dust. Looking Rikke saw they had come to rest near an old abandoned house. It seemed mostly intact. Checking her immediate area she found a small child play-set compete with swings. Once was broke but the other moved slightly from the after shock of their landing. On it was a worn and weather teddy bear. Of course Rikke didn't have time to stare at the doll as Janet got them moving again. "Engaging cloaking device." Rikke watched in amazement as the golum hand she could see seemed to shimmer a moment and vanish just like the vital had. "We can only keep this thing going for a short time it draws to much power from the Widow so lets be quick okay. Keep your eyes open." Moving up Rikke crested the hill. As her vision broke the hill the blue squares lit up once more only this time one very big red one showed up as well.

The three blue ones where listed as, Chloe a tank similar to Sophia and Candance though this one seemed to have been hit with a massive amount of heat as its rubber tracks had melted away leaving the underlying metal exposed. Its turret had several gaping holes where the ammo had been stored and any hatches that where on the thing had been blasted away. The second was Listed as Angaline. It also appeared to have been a tank like Sophia. This one however had its turret pulled off which lay next to it upside down. The third blue square was around one of the mech like suits that Rikke had seen at the nest this one was apparently called guardian and upon its identification Rikke heard Janet's breath quicken. The mech had been smashed to pieces and was barely recognizable. The final threat looked to be a heavily armed brute. It hadn't seen them yet thankfully. Though a warning did pop up on Rikke's screen. 'Warning steath system overheat. Emergancy shut down in 10 secounds.'