What's new

ACT Patreon Active [Anon42] Crisis Point: Extinction

OP
Anon42

Anon42

Grim Reaper
Reputation score
Re: Crisis Point: Extinction - Metroidvania H-game - NEW PUBLIC UPDATE! (March 25th)

The flies absolutely do a great job of incentivizing usage of the Force Shot (which needs a better name, imo), but I'd agree that they should just be like 10% bigger or slower or something. They're too persistent to ALSO be difficult to kill; that just encourages players to try to ignore them, which leads to frustrating gameplay.

Also, I think the flies should grab you while you're standing instead of attacking you (at least some of the time). It's weird to get knocked down, then stand back up when the fly decides that it's Business Time
What's wrong with Force Shot? lol. I think it describes it pretty well, considering it's a blast of kinetic energy. As for the flies, I'll see about slowing them down a tad.

@rab135 - Interesting that people have been having trouble with that.. Might be time to look back and find a way to introduce it more naturally. Sorry for the trouble!

@unassumingtentacle - Really sorry about that! I discovered that a few days ago myself, and it's been fixed for the next update. I can't believe I overlooked something like that >_< In any case, there have been cases where I would have liked to be able to use F12 as well, so I'll definitely do something to make it usable without dying. Thanks for the suggestion!

@Mr. Walrus - Glad you liked it! The minimap was definitely a well-needed addition, I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. As for the flies, sticking to her like glue is definitely their purpose, lol. A lot of enemies are easy to run past so I designed them to force a bit more caution on the player.

@Necronlord2 - The flies are after the boss fight. You have to beat the boss, then make your way into the Summit area. You can find them in there.

textbook703

Evard's Tentacles of Forced Intrusion
Reputation score
Re: Crisis Point: Extinction - Metroidvania H-game - NEW PUBLIC UPDATE! (March 25th)

@rab135 - Interesting that people have been having trouble with that.. Might be time to look back and find a way to introduce it more naturally. Sorry for the trouble!
Be careful you don't allow recency bias to contaminate your perspective on player responses. Don't change stuff because one or two people say you should etc.

PS. does the save system persist through closing the game? Because I wanted to look at the flies again and saw I'd have to go through it all for something like the tenth time, and was like ehh... I'm gonna nap this one off lol

OP
Anon42

Anon42

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

Be careful you don't allow recency bias to contaminate your perspective on player responses. Don't change stuff because one or two people say you should etc.

PS. does the save system persist through closing the game? Because I wanted to look at the flies again and saw I'd have to go through it all for something like the tenth time, and was like ehh... I'm gonna nap this one off lol
Not a save system yet, just checkpoints. To answer your question, it doesn't stay after you close the game, sorry! To alleviate the problem, I have some plans for v.11 to make it less taxing to replay the game - I would add it to v.10, but it's coming out tomorrow and I don't have enough time left.

thswherizat

Reputation score

Oh, I didn't figure out the pillar part either, I thought that was then end of the demo. Granted, I'm terrible at platformers.

rab135

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

Oh, I didn't figure out the pillar part either, I thought that was then end of the demo. Granted, I'm terrible at platformers.
Well, I'd say it's due to all other platforms in the game sticking out visually (as they should be in a platfomer). The fact that the pillar is located right next to two of it's brethren with an obvious platform on them doesn't help either since this indicates that pillars are holding platforms, not acting as ones. Unless this one part is supposed to be somewhat secret, throwing a layer of stones broader than the pillar itself onto it would be an easy solution.

WonderLlama2008

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score

Love then new fly cumming animation, especially the inflation. I'd love to see an after sex animation where the cum drips out. :) Keep up the good work! The game looks and plays great so far :D
Could someone post the animation?

Darkrick

Reputation score

Could someone post the animation?
Why don't you just play the game? It's better to play this(AWESOME!) game through than cropping out an animation. Don't be lazy...

WonderLlama2008

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score

Why don't you just play the game? It's better to play this(AWESOME!) game through than cropping out an animation. Don't be lazy...
Because I suck and I can't get that far. Why else would I ask?

OP
Anon42

Anon42

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

Because I suck and I can't get that far. Why else would I ask?
Sorry it took a bit, but here you go!

If you don't mind me asking, which part of the game are you getting stuck at? Is it just the boss fight?

Vinceras

Formerly Havokor
Reputation score

If you don't mind me asking, which part of the game are you getting stuck at? Is it just the boss fight?
Boss fight is actually fairly easy mode once you realize the rocks that shoot out with the worms always drop healing pods when you shoot them.

I just didn't know where to go and it took a while to figure out where the new area was. It's not all that straight forward how to find the new area what with the platforms and the new grappling hook.

textbook703

Reputation score

Yeah. I'm all for having a map that is complex such that I can't intuitively memorize the layout as I play through it. But I do think that you could use a few more landmarks scattered about. Doesn't have to be fancy or anything -- just a memorable tower or cluster or beehives or weird-shaped rock. Anything that... eh you know what a landmark is.

The fact that the backgrounds aren't completed yet may also contribute to my feeling overwhelmed at the number of branches and tributaries you're presented with right as you enter the.. sky... pillar place. SKYPILLARIA. Though I don't really know if you can have backgrounds that are specific to each "room"?

I literally have to poop so badly that I'm having trouble phrasing myself. But I have to leave after I poop so this is the best I can do lol.

PS. I think you should add some more pumps to the fly inflation animation. Not even creating new sprites, just like... have the fly do its pumping animation one or two more times in between each of... the protagonist's (how do I still not remember her name lol) reactionary inflation animations. I always think animations should have longer climaxes though, so I may be biased here.

Soljer13

Tentacle Monster
Reputation score

would be cool if you could lose to the boss and get fucked by it.

OP
Anon42

Anon42

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

would be cool if you could lose to the boss and get fucked by it.
Well.. you can? So that's good news, lol.

@Vinceras - I agree that the boss is easy. I've heard feedback on both sides of the spectrum though, and given that it is the first boss in the game, I don't want it to be too difficult. Later bosses will certainly ramp up the challenge. As for losing your way, the next update helps a lot with that. The map system in v.10 allows you to place your own, hand-written notes in any room containing any information you want them to say, so if you see something suspicious in a room, you can place a note there and look at it any time in the future for your own reference. Just for a relevant example, you can write down every time you see one of the Wire Shot platforms, and then go back to them easily once you have the necessary upgrade.

@textbook - What I said above might also help you out, too. I do plan on having more recognizable landmarks later in development, but that's a lot of art/design work, and we're focused on getting the necessary tiles for each area completed first. After that, we'll be going back through and sprucing things up with detail tiles and sprites. Such is the curse of beta releases~
(and yes, I can have unique backgrounds in each room.)

You're definitely the first person I've gotten that suggestion from about the pumping animation, so I'm not sure. The longer the climax animation, the longer the player is kept from getting back in the action, so I don't think I want to extend it at the moment. I'll keep it in mind for the future though. Also her name is Alicia :p

Kyrieru

Sensei
Reputation score

Random suggestion when it comes to doing the mouth, with characters.

textbook703

Reputation score

Random suggestion when it comes to doing the mouth, with characters.
While I do think his are too dark, I think yours are too light.

Kyrieru

Sensei
Reputation score

While I do think his are too dark, I think yours are too light.
Could be. I used the color of the nipples, just so it wasn't adding more colors to the pallet.

I think the problem with the original color isn't the fact that it's too dark, per se, but that it's 100% saturation and everything else is a bit more grounded.

WonderLlama2008

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score

The worms that fly out of the walls.

OP
Anon42

Anon42

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

Could be. I used the color of the nipples, just so it wasn't adding more colors to the pallet.

I think the problem with the original color isn't the fact that it's too dark, per se, but that it's 100% saturation and everything else is a bit more grounded.
Actually I think that was an oversight on my part.. When I was originally spriting her mouth I think I just tossed in a pure red color and I was going to change it later, but I completely spaced out on it and left it. Silly me.

In any case, thanks for the suggestion! I'm not quite feeling the shading you used for it, but I can most definitely change the color so it's not so intensely saturated. Thanks for bringing it up.

@WonderLlama2008 - Yeah, that's the first boss fight. As someone else in the topic mentioned, try to shoot down the rocks that they shoot out, and you can get health pickups from them. Aside from that, just focus on dodging their attacks and shoot them when you can, and you should be able to make it through!

beepboopdoop

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

They also come out in the same pattern every time. For the most part, the lower left corner of the room is pretty safe. They have one or two attacks that go through there but you will always have time to move before hand. It also gives you a good spot to aim for rocks and faces from.

It's really reminiscent of the mini boss from Groundman's Stage.

Jesus

The Father, The Son, The Holy Spirit
Staff member
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

the boss fight is easily the easiest part. just stand on the top platform and shoot down+left/right, jump down to the right platform once you break some rocks to replenish health rinse and repeat. for me the real challenge is the flies in combination with the alien soldiers, the alien soldiers feel too op like if you get hit with the first shot you are guaranteed to take the next 2 and each one does a bit too much damage i think. i assume there will be more checkpoints around the... sky pillar area in the future because getting sent all the way back to the start of it is annoying.