What's new

Ammunition Safety/Intelligence

Momiji

Lurker
Reputation score
Re: Ammunition Safety/Intelligence

The missiles weren't that big, and most missiles don't have that solid an exterior. A .50 cal round would easily go through it.
Wasn't Tony Stark supposed to be a weapons genius for the American military? His missiles might have been made differently or far more durable than actual missiles.

Also that would've made for a pretty hilarious short film. Imagine him spending all that time building a super suit only to have it fail because the terrorists have guns.

OP
Sinfulwolf

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Then we also remember that it's sci-fi and totally not real? If those missile casings were made of some uber tough fabricated metal? I dunno. If we're going to nitpick about reality in the movie why not about the glowy thing in the center of his chest keeping him alive?

Aaaanyway. That pic... was whoa. Seriously, here's hoping this guy is out of our military now, we don't need that.
Wasn't Tony Stark supposed to be a weapons genius for the American military? His missiles might have been made differently or far more durable than actual missiles.

Also that would've made for a pretty hilarious short film. Imagine him spending all that time building a super suit only to have it fail because the terrorists have guns.
Tis true I suppose that he could have made some crazy durable missile or something. But I agree with Mo, that would have made a damn funny short.

As for the guy in the picture being out of the military... dunno. Plenty of non-combat jobs in the military where one would only really need one hand.

Nunu

Despot
Former Admin
Reputation score

it is possible that he had crazy strong missiles, but that would defeat the purpose of the missile, which is to explode, which it can't do so well if its made out of armour (unless its trying to funnel the explosion forward like a giant HEAT round or something) regardless there is nothing to say he didn't temper, layer and do other crazy stuff to the metal that made it more durable.

OAMP

Turtle Poker
Reputation score

Most protagonists have a reality warping field of awsome, that's the answer.

Unknown Squid

Aurani's Wife
Reputation score

It's not like I was saying it was a bad film or anything, I thoroughly enjoyed it. It's just I enjoyed smirking at the ridiculousness of a couple of parts too. It's a small curse of mine regarding movies, I can't help it. But quite frankly, there really isn't anything he could have done to light weight missile shell material to form it into indestructible armour. Infact, even if it could take the hits unscathed, poor old Starks insides would have been turned to jelly after a few big ass bullets like that had bounced off him. It's why real life militarys don't deploy CoD:MW2 style juggernaut armour. No matter how tough your armour is, a short burst of even small arms fire will cave your lungs in. Though like Momiji says, that would make for a hilariously short film, and a rather confused and indignant audience leaving the cinema.

Lurker
Reputation score

Avant Guard Film?

OP
Sinfulwolf

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

The Juggernaut armour from MW2 is actually an EOD suit. Modern militaries give them to the engineers who get to crawl up and take apart IEDs.

Still don't do shit if they go off in one's face though. Except keep the body more or less in one place for easy shipping back home.

OAMP

Turtle Poker
Reputation score

Remember when I was talking about lasers the other day? I logged out before you returned, but my comment about the humvee mounted system currently in existance. Designed to replace guys in those suits and for other mineclearing activities. Well, atleast on the ones we can let explode once everyone's a safe distance away. I suppose if it was near a vital structure it'd better be disarmed then detonated.

Rule 34

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

To give everybody who's not as weapon savvy as you guys (like me) an idea just how big the .50 cal is, I've found on youtube.

Unknown Squid

Aurani's Wife
Reputation score

Oh, good idea. A picture of the bullet up top would have helped now I think about it.

Kusanagi

Chief Nippleseer
Reputation score

There's also , if you like Snipers.

OP
Sinfulwolf

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Many snipers prefer bolt action rifles over semi-automatic. They tend to be more accurate. Due to that, there is the newer McMillan TAC-50 sniper rifle that some nations have been starting to use over the more commonly known Barret.

ToxicShock

(And Reputation Manager)
Staff member
Administrator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

That's why I prefer my machine guns a little smaller and effective

Unknown Squid

Aurani's Wife
Reputation score

Many snipers prefer bolt action rifles over semi-automatic. They tend to be more accurate. Due to that, there is the newer McMillan TAC-50 sniper rifle that some nations have been starting to use over the more commonly known Barret.
I always hear this "bolt action is more accurate" stuff, and have always put it down to childish talk based on videos games trying to give the slower gun a perk, but this surprised me.

I'm not saying your wrong there, but I'm suddenly confused. In what way is a bolt action more accurate/superior to a self loading system? I mean, in the end all you have is a bullet sitting in the chamber, bolt closed. How does the method it got there make any difference? Or am I missing something.

Genuine question. The specific workings of various guns internals is an area I could understand better. '_'

[Edit]
Uh sorry. Felt like checking it right away so I wiki'd it. Makes perfect sense now. I'd even heard it before in fact and somehow forgoten. Guilty of asking and answering the same question... >_>

Benefits and drawbacks

Bolt-action firearms have earned a reputation for being more accurate and reliable than any semi-automatic rifle. For this reason, they are still the choice of many hunters, target shooters and . This is true because of the way that bolt action rifles close the chamber. When a cartridge fires inside the chamber, the force from the charge is completely directed at propelling the bullet down the barrel (in an autoloader, part of the energy is used to cycle the action). The bolt action's locking lugs are normally at the front of the breach (some designs have additional "safety lugs" at the rear) and this contributes to potential accuracy compared to a design which locks the breach at the rear, such as a . Also, a bolt action's only when firing are the pin and spring. Since it has fewer moving parts and a short , it has less of a chance of being thrown off target and less of a chance to malfunction. Since the spent cartridge has to be manually removed instead of automatically ejected, it helps a sniper remain better hidden, since not only is the cartridge not flung into the air and to the ground, possibly giving away the sniper's position, but the cartridge can be removed when most prudent, allowing the sniper to remain still until reloading is tactically feasible. Bolt actions are also easier to operate from a prone position than other manually repeating mechanisms and work well with which are easier to fill and maintain than .
The integral strength of the design means very powerful magnum cartridges can be chambered without significantly increasing the size or weight of the weapon. For example, some of the most powerful are in the same weight range (7-10 lbs.) as a typical deer rifle, while delivering several times the kinetic energy to the target. The recoil of these weapons, however, is correspondingly severe. One well known example is that bolt action rifles designed for the can usually safely fire the more powerful , while auto-loaders might malfunction. By contrast, the laws of physics dictate that the operating mechanism of a semi-automatic weapon must increase in mass and weight as the cartridge it fires increases in power. This means that semi-automatic rifles firing magnum cartridges, while they do exist, tend to be relatively heavy and impractical for many types of hunting.
Some disadvantages of the bolt action include being the slowest of all the major manual repeating mechanisms, as it requires four distinct movements (as opposed to two distinct movements for and , though straight-pull bolt actions likewise require only two distinct movements) and requires the trigger hand leave the gun and regrip the weapon after each shot, usually resulting in the shooter having to realign his sight and reacquire the target for every shot. It is also not , and left-handed models tend to be more expensive.

Last edited:

OAMP

Turtle Poker
Reputation score

I still don't like bolt actions because they aren't very friendly to left handed shooters. Then again, many guns aren't, bolt actions are just the worst offenders.

Unknown Squid

Aurani's Wife
Reputation score

Oh? =)

Though I suppose left handed versions must be harder/more expensive to find?

TheWeirdOne

KICK ME
Reputation score

I still don't like bolt actions because they aren't very friendly to left handed shooters. Then again, many guns aren't, bolt actions are just the worst offenders.
I'm a left handed shooter too QQ

OP
Sinfulwolf

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Oh? =)

Though I suppose left handed versions must be harder/more expensive to find?
At the end of your last spoiler tag filled with information it said that left handed bolt actions tend to be more expensive. I assume this is because it's not a factory standard and has to be reconfigured manually.

OAMP

Turtle Poker
Reputation score

At the end of your last spoiler tag filled with information it said that left handed bolt actions tend to be more expensive. I assume this is because it's not a factory standard and has to be reconfigured manually.
Yeah, they aren't exactly custom orders, left handed versions aren't unheard of, but they are somewhat of a specialty item.

I personally can work the bolt with either hand, but prefer the left handed stance, so...

Last edited: