What's new

Amarant: Noble's Path

OP
Cevrik777

Cevrik777

Sex Demon
Reputation score
Re: Amarant: Noble's Path

I'm not sure if we're allowed to vote on the WIP ones, but if so: Dungeon Delving.
You can, but know that I have less of a complete vision of what can happen and may have to improvise more often.

We don't know enough about the world’s economy. I mean, is gold coins the only currency, or are there also others, such as silver coins and copper coins?
Yes, I decided to keep it simple – Just gold,

Question: Is visiting Anna possible? If yes Jane should visit her and tell her about the Edwin encounter, but only AFTER we finish the first scenario. If she goes right away and Edwin hears about it he might get the idea that the two are plotting some sort of revenge; if she goes after doing something else first it will be easier to pass it as a regular visit.
Yes, it is possible.

One thing to remember is that the more complete the planning for an encounter is the more prone to railroading it is and the more difficult it will be to handle unpredicted actions by the voters. On the other hand the less you have planned the more work you’ll have to do but also it will be easier to just go with the flow and the less likely you are to have to railroad things.

To give an example (can’t remember the source that inspired it right now):
The GM has everything planned for the next part of the campaign. All that’s left is for the players to pick one of the hooks and start the encounter. Unfortunately… they don’t. Instead they decide to investigate the story they heard from a local drunkard known for making up stuff and go to investigate the desert to the north instead of the ruins to the west, thus screwing up all of the GM’s planning. To avoid something like that happening is one of the reasons I voted for Dungeon Diving despite the fact it’s a work in progress.
While usually that would be the case, I don't think it applies 100% here, and here’s why: With a much more complete vision of a scenario I know what elements there are that I can utilize in the story. Say, you guys vote for an “X” that throws us way off course: As I have more of an idea of what “surrounds” this scenario, I know what I can utilize and draw from within the world to keep the plot moving and provide a compelling narrative. Although I will definitely agree, WIP scenarios have that exact same advantage, in the form of being completely unrestricting in what I can write and improvise with.

The good GM is the prepared GM - Simply having a plan isn’t being prepared. No, the good GM may have something Amazing prepared for the group, but if they stray far from the path he would have liked them to take, he is able to craft a new adventure on the spot, while also introducing elements into this new path that hint or even straight up point to the previous one. I’ve had quite a bit of time to think about the world of Amarant, and while I have retcon’d quite a few things, it’s gotten to the point where I can form an answer to most questions about it and improvise quite a bit if need be… Hopefully.

That being said… WIP scenarios may update at a slightly slower pace as I have to think of the repercussions of every action as we’re going along.

And, of course, I'm saying all this to placate your fear about voting for any scenarios that aren't WIP and how I'm going to handle them, not because I think you're wrong about anything you mentioned, but because what I mean by the scenario being more "finished" or "constructed" doesn't necessarily mean it's more "railroaded".

road things.
I don’t see the necklace in Jane’s inventory, and I also don’t see the item that is supposed to give us the Bolt spell?
Fixed – was quite tired last night.

Can you tell us what were the other ways to deal with Edwin? It would give us a better idea of what is possible during the game.
Well, I wanted you guys to come up with any solution really. If Jane did just completely bend over backwards and let him take control of the encounter, he would have tried to get you to come back with him to a little hide away and have you either suck him off, and/or be physically molested/groped by the entire gang. Of course, this was an unlikely choice, but was what he originally wanted to achieve by blackmailing Jane. You guys could have cast magic on him on the street obviously, or let him take you back into a private locale and then Magic him instead. Now, this would make his role later on be much more sinister and vindictive, but it technically would have resolved this encounter.

Relatively speaking, what you guys did was probably one of the most peaceful solutions. You guys not only managed to stave him off for now, but actually made him slightly interested in Jane, instead of just a target to manipulate. Whether this is a good or a bad thing… I’ll let you guys decide later. Overall, you guys not only handled it with a level head, but came up with a solution I never even considered.

Last edited:

moonblack

Evard's Tentacles of Forced Intrusion
Reputation score

Thanks for the clarifications. Based on everything I'll stick with my vote for Dungeon Diving, mostly because it features Maria and I'm curious about her.

As for updates being slower for WIP scenarios: That's not necessarily a bad thing. I mean, more time between updates gives us more time to think and come up with solutions to problems.

1Cyka

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

Give the begger few coins. If were ever stuck in the slums he might remember our kindness.

The trip to another city sounds interesting. Respiro sounds interesting to but im curios about the woodlands and taking a trp is our best chance of getting to know the local wildlife. By studying them of course. For knowledge of academic ature. ;)

Edit or actually i guess I can actually change my vote to dungeon diving. I imagine this place has just as many interesting and unique creatures for Maria and Jane to study. Now we can actually get the show on road

Last edited:

Genius700

Sex Demon
Reputation score

Fill in the story: Jane gave the man a few gold coins, enough to eat another day, and waved the approaching guards off, not wanting to make this man's life any harder. Even if he was going to spend it poorly, or if she had just been scammed, at least this small act purified her in her mind of her previous actions with Edwin.

A Trip Interrupted gets my vote as it sounds pretty nifty, though I do like the title Of Rogues and Riches... maybe next time :p
I vote for this.

Zephyrion

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Fill in the story: Jane gave the man a few gold coins, enough to eat another day, and waved the approaching guards off, not wanting to make this man's life any harder. Even if he was going to spend it poorly, or if she had just been scammed, at least this small act purified her in her mind of her previous actions with Edwin.

Scenario:
Dungeon Diving.

Clothing: C, tomboyish

Diagasvesle

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Fill in the Story: Th-that man! Hi-his face is rubbing against her backside, pushing it straight into her bottom! He must think her easy! Easy! Jus-just because of what that Edwin did! A hand snaked, her own reacting far too much on instinct then she'd like. The memory of that dinner - where she punched out Edwin came to mind, and she grasped his ear, tugging him upwards and glaring at him. "You!" She kept a firm hand tugging on his ear, no doubt sending jolts of pain through his head as she spoke to her guard, her pseudo father figure.

"Thorold! Do you think he'll serve?" Her voice holding a tone of anger and something diabolical, letting magical energies, a waste of potential, flare around her as if planning to turn this beggar, this poor man who earned her ire, into some sort of monstrocity. But this fate could be prevented, as long as the man she addressed, spoke calming words - all to the face of this battered and bruised beggar.

^---I see this as potentially recruiting a beggar, after Jane thoroughly lectures him for inappropriately touching her.

Scenario: Maria!! Dungeon Diving away!

Hrm. What is the verdict again on the fluff? Yay? Nay? Still appliciable?

"Fluff" I see for Maria is that her fingers are always ink stained, as if a quill or pen is never far from her fingers and hands. It drives Jane up the wall, because getting those ink stains on valuable books. . . Potential?

Clothing: I thought this had already been voted upon. . . Through if it's for dungeon diving, then C - But more fitted for rough and tumble.

OP
Cevrik777

Cevrik777

Sex Demon
Reputation score

So far the votes are technically close.

Tomaito: A Trip Interrupted.
Gear47: A Trip Interrupted.
Rose: Dungeon Diving / A trip Interrupted.
Xaero: Dungeon Diving / A trip Interrupted.
Moonblack: Dungeon Diving.
AngelEater: Dungeon Diving / S&I
Cyka: A Trip Interrupted.
Genius: A Trip Interrupted.
Zephyrion: Dungeon Diving.
Diagasvesle: Dungeon Diving.

That makes it so that the two scenarios, A Trip Interrupted and Dungeon Diving, are each tied at 6. Although, Rose and Xaero both voted for Dungeon Diving first, unsure if they were able to do so for WIP adventures. As they are, I will consider the score a hesitant “6 to 4”.

I’ll wait for another day or so for Minerve, Nightshade, and Kasei to check in if they so desire. Nevetheless, I’ll start prepping for Dungeon Diving as it is in the lead.

EDIT: Xaero has officially changed his vote to Dungeon Diving. With Minerve's and Kasei's vote for "A Trip Interrupted", the total is no 6/7 to 6/5, depending on Rose's vote.

Hrm. What is the verdict again on the fluff? Yay? Nay? Still appliciable?
Fluff/nudging is still a go, but be aware that they will be just that: "Fluff" - They will never affect anything under the "Jane", "Inventory", or "Dice Report" Spoilers. (i.e. It will not affect gameplay)

Last edited:

Minerve

Tentacle God
Reputation score

I'm pretty fine with A trip interrupted. I'd not mind at all 'bout the optionnal enemies :) .

For her outfit: still voting C.

Kasei

Demon Girl
Reputation score

Fill to the story: Give him a bit of money, store some good karma :p

For the scenario: A Trip Interrupted gets my vote, though of Rogues and Riches seems interesting too.

A for clothes

Iwanako

Mystic Girl
Reputation score

I thought it was pretty clear Dungeon diving was my primary vote. The other was a backup for if WIP chapters were a no-go.

OP
Cevrik777

Cevrik777

Sex Demon
Reputation score

Just wanted to confirm. We're tied 6 to 6 at the moment, making this quite the conundrum... Still, I'll actually begin writing a bit of each side and scrutinizing how they're laid out, if only to try and weed out any issues they may have.

I'll give this another 24 hours to resolve, but after that I may have to try and break the tie some other way.

Last edited:

moonblack

Reputation score

Looks like we have a tie for now, so while we wait for a tiebreaker vote I have a couple of questions:
1) We know Jane can overdraw a spell when at 0 mana, but what if she has more than 0 mana but not enough for a spell? For example, if she has 1 mana left and wants to cast Fireball, can she overdraw the extra 1 mana point?

Or let's say that she learns a new spell - one that costs 3 mana. If she has 1 mana left can she overdraw the extra 2 mana?

2) Can you give us some idea how many chances to rest Jane will get during each scenario? The reason I'm asking this is because Jane has just 10 mana. This means that she can:
- use Fireball/Wave of Force 5 times
- use Fireball/Wave of Force 4 times and use Magic Armor/Minor Cure Wounds a total of 2 times
After that she'll be out of mana, leaving her to rely on:
- her scrolls, which are each one use only
- her Ring of Bolt, which is very likely to be "once per adventure"
- physical combat

So in a scenario with a lot of combat Jane is likely to run out of mana very quickly, unless she treats her spells as "too awesome to use" and avoids casting magic until she encounters a boss enemy or gets in a really bad situation. Either way we might end up with a mage that does not act like a mage most of the time due to not enough mana, especially during longer adventures. Having some idea how often we'll have a chance to rest might help with that.

OP
Cevrik777

Cevrik777

Sex Demon
Reputation score

We know Jane can overdraw a spell when at 0 mana, but what if she has more than 0 mana but not enough for a spell? For example, if she has 1 mana left and wants to cast Fireball, can she overdraw the extra 1 mana point?
Yes, although she will drop down to that -1 mana and be subject to overdraw penalties.

Or let's say that she learns a new spell - one that costs 3 mana. If she has 1 mana left can she overdraw the extra 2 mana?
She can… but those overdraw penalties may be quite a bit more severe. As far as what these penalties entail... there are many forces of magic out in the world, some more unnatural than others. When desperate for mana, a mage may attract the attention of these powers.

2) Can you give us some idea how many chances to rest Jane will get during each scenario? The reason I'm asking this is because Jane has just 10 mana. This means that she can:
- use Fireball/Wave of Force 5 times
- use Fireball/Wave of Force 4 times and use Magic Armor/Minor Cure Wounds a total of 2 times
After that she'll be out of mana, leaving her to rely on:
- her scrolls, which are each one use only
- her Ring of Bolt, which is very likely to be "once per adventure"
- physical combat

So in a scenario with a lot of combat Jane is likely to run out of mana very quickly, unless she treats her spells as "too awesome to use" and avoids casting magic until she encounters a boss enemy or gets in a really bad situation. Either way we might end up with a mage that does not act like a mage most of the time due to not enough mana, especially during longer adventures. Having some idea how often we'll have a chance to rest might help with that.
I, unfortunately, am unable to tell you how much rest Jane may have during a scenario. I can guarantee however that I will always try and have at least one opportunity for Jane to recover all of her mana naturally and will try and hint at how long it may be before her next opportunity to rest may be.

There will definitely be times when you will be strained for mana however, having to ask when its worth using a spell or if Jane can dispatch her enemy with the weapon at hand. Mana regenerates over time, but Jane can also restore mana through other means such as potions or special items/events.

EDIT: It seems 1Cyka changed to Dungeon Diving, making it 7 to 5. I'll continue writing, but I'm not going to confirm anything until tomorrow morning. Dungeon Diving it is then! Expect the next post up by Wednesday/Tomorrow Night, if not Thursday Morning.

Seeing as we're going with Dungeon Diving... A preview of how I'm sort-of going to have Maria look:

Last edited:
OP
Cevrik777

Cevrik777

Sex Demon
Reputation score

Yes, I know... another long post, but such are posts introducing/closing out chapters. At least it's not as thick as Gear's ;)

Results:
Dungeon Diving: Maria has just discovered what she believes to be some ancient ruins not too far outside the walls of the city, nestled with the coastal cliffs to the north. She wants Jane to accompany her as she believes there may be a wealth of arcane knowledge just waiting to be claimed there.

Beggar: Give him a few coins. Stop the guards.

Thorold disappeared upstairs as Jane lounged back in the library; it had been only a short day, but she felt quite tired nonetheless. She ascribed it to Edwin’s surprise visit and the resulting kiss.

“Damn it…” she muttered to no one in particular.

Still, it was only a kiss – nothing Jane would let herself become too upset over.

It had been a few minutes before Jane heard Thorold coming back down the stairs, his heavy footfalls unmistakable. She opened her eyes and saw him reading a piece of parchment, the letter her father had written she assumed. His mouth and moustache scrunched to one side, Thorold looked concerned and puzzled. He looked up from the letter once he was done, folding it up and depositing it into his pocket as he looked over to Jane.

“It seems your father needs me up at the keep, and by the sound of it we may be up there for quite some time. Sleep well and hopefully we’ll be back by the morn.”

He didn’t say anything else, only giving a curt nod before hurrying out the door. Jane would be concerned if she wasn’t struggling to stay awake – she supposed she would head to bed early tonight.

Jane sat up, temporarily rubbing the sleep from her eyes, and then stood up and made her way to the stairs. As she was headed up however, James caught her attention:

“I’m so sorry, Jane, I had almost forgotten…” the silver-haired man bowed low as he spoke.

“The young Lady Chauss arrived earlier today requesting that you meet her at the gate to the district at first light – she mentioned that she wished you to accompany her on a trip of some sort. If I had to take a guess, based on her excitement, it seems she has made quite the breakthrough with her research.”

Maria Chauss, one of Jane’s closest friends, was always researching ruins and other ancient structures around the city, but if what James mentioned was true then she must have made a quite the revelation.

“That sounds like Maria alright.”

Jane chuckled to herself, imagining how Maria must be at the moment, having to sit on a discovery until morning.

“Thank you, James. I’m going to be heading to bed early tonight, as it seems Maria will have quite the adventure for me tomorrow. If you would, please wake me an hour prior to sun-up. Good night James.

“Good night, Madam.”

And with that James bows once again, remaining as such until Jane has left his sight.

Jane was curious what kind of journey Maria had in store for tomorrow; their adventures were almost always of an academic pursuit that was for sure. And while they did enjoy discussing magic and other various aspects of ancient Respeiro, she hoped it wasn’t simply the discovery of an old method of baking bread or even crafting swords. While Maria loved anything and everything that had to do with ancient Respin culture, Jane was only realty interested in the magic of the time – many spells and artifacts still lay hidden, many of them quite valuable and even dangerous. In any case, she wouldn’t know until the morning.

Jane entered her room: “Quarters fit for a princess” Thorold would say from time to time. She walked over to her armoire as she slipped off her boots and unbuttoned her blouse, idly glancing to make sure her drapes had been drawn shut. She had spent most of the day walking about the city and it felt wonderful to finally have them off. She continued stripping herself of her clothing until she was left only in her bare essentials, her mismatched lingerie from earlier that morning now all that clothed her. Jane deposited the items on the floor and opened the armoire to retrieve a nightgown but hesitated a moment, remembering James had already put one out for here. Stretching her arms, Jane wandered over to her bed, a massive piece of furniture that took up almost a quarter of the room. A few quick motions and the she had donned the nightwear, soon falling into her bed and bringing the covers up and over her shoulders as she slowly starting to drift off to sleep.

A knock raps on the door. Jane groaned as the noise woke her from her slumber, the dream she had been having quickly fleeting from her mind. She didn’t remember what it was, but she knew it was a good one: Something about a blonde man… and Jane holding something long and hard and smooth … probably a sword, she thought…

She groaned as she turned under the covers towards the door which was now opening. It was still dark but she saw a small light, next to it the illuminated face of James as he bowed across the threshold.

“Begging your pardon, Madam, but The young Lady Chauss is waiting downstairs for you.” James then stepped in, setting the candleholder down on Jane’s desk and retrieving her laundry from the yesterday before retreating out of the room.

Jane groaned again.

“Hwhat…? But it’s…” Jane trailed off, realizing James did mention “At first light”. Still, she was confused as to why Maria was here at the house instead of the gate – did she oversleep? Did James forget to wake her? Whatever the case, Jane lazily waved away the no-longer-present butler and set about getting up and out of bed, sleep still hounding her as she fought to stay awake.

She stood up, the cool night air that still lingered a refreshing contrast to the warmth of her bed. She brushed the hair from her eyes and couldn’t help but shiver a bit as she made her way over to the desk, grabbing the candle and using its flame to light a nearby lantern. With a little bit more illumination, Jane opened the armoire and set about removing various pieces of clothing. She opened the lower drawer and also retrieved a few other essentials before placing them all on the bed.

She began to undress, taking off her nightwear and undergarments before getting redressed. In the low light her form would have looked amazing to any who had gazed upon her: an elegant and exquisite hourglass shape, her body was one of much envy and lust in the noble’s district - some may even claim the whole city. While her arms were gentle and dexterous, her legs were more firm, honed through years of training with a sabre at the behest of her father. While she didn’t care for the lessons, they had made her fleet of foot and fitter than most. Overall, a striking display of the female form.

Jane picked up the new undergarments she had set out: As she was going on a trip outside the city, she decided to go with a simple bra and a set of underwear as opposed to a bustier or an even more elaborate choice such as a corset. She slipped on the smooth silky garments and fastened the hooks to her bra. She contemplated whether or not she should wear stockings today, wondering just how rough the trip would be. She eventually decided that even if she did ruin them, Maria was a wonder when it came to repairing clothing.

Jane went over to her armoire again, retrieving a pair of matching stockings and suspenders, sitting down on the bed as she raised her legs in the air in turn, slipping the thin material over her legs and up to her thighs, eventually fastening the small belt into place and clipping the suspenders into place. She stood up and gave a cursory glance over the dark apparel, giving a small smile of approval before moving on. A few more movements and Jane finishes the last button of her blouse and cinches her skirt together, the dark cloth falling to just above her knees. She looked at herself in the nearby mirror, approving of her selection of attire – not too flashy, but then again, she didn’t need anything too fancy for a trip out of the city.

Jane then pinned up her hair behind her head, leaving the front untouched, and proceeded to head downstairs, but not before remembering to retrieve an appropriate pair of boots and a weapon for personal defense. She opens up the chest at the foot of her bed and retrieves…

Her Sabre: A blade Jane has had training with and can use relatively well, despite dedicating most of her time towards the pursuit of magic. While a bit slower than a dagger, it is much better at dealing with an enemy at arm’s length and does more damage.
Damage: STR + d8

Her Dagger: A blade she has had since a young age, it is swift and deadly. A perfect blade for close quarters, can be used relatively easily when an enemy is right on top of Jane, but does less damage than a sword. Can also be concealed.
Damage: STR + d4
+ 2 to hit.

EDIT: Forgot to add the hit bonus of the dagger.

With her blade and brown leather boots fastened in place, she opens her door and rushes downstairs only to be met by James at the bottom.

“The young Lady is waiting for you in the library, but I regret to inform you that neither your father nor Thorold will be returning for quite a few days - it seems your Lord Theriner has been called away on Diplomatic business to one of the northern cities and, as such, Thorold has departed along with him.”

Jane was slightly worried: it was usual for her father to be called away on these ventures, as he was one of the most diplomatic of the council, but she was concerned for Maria and herself, Thorold usually joining them on any venture outside the city. She could only hope the trip would be as simple as all the others.

Jane thanked James for the information and dismissed him, turning the corner to see sitting on one of the library’s chairs, pouring over a book – while Jane was quite a bookworm, few could match Maria in her propensity for reading books and studying old scrolls. Her long, brown hair falls forward as she studies the pages, her freckled face holding a puzzled expression as she reads, her blue eyes darting from word to word. She looks up as she hears Jane enter, standing up and rushing over to her excitedly.

She is dressed in her usual adventuring attire: A simple green teal dress, it has always been one of her favorites when venturing beyond the walls. Jane notices that she’s already prepared to go, with bow and quiver, belts and pouches, and, most important of all, her scarf, a keepsake she’s had for many years, she wore it around her neck any time she ventured out – it was almost as much a part of her appearance as was her hair or the ink that constantly stained her fingers. She bounded up to Jane grabbing her arms as she spoke.

“Jane, so good to see you!” she said, hugging her friend.

“I think I may have made a discovery so rare that I… I can’t even fathom how many years it may have been or what we may even find there or what we could gain from it!“

“Maria!” Jane cut in “Please, I understand you’re excited. But please…” Jane smiled at her friend, entertained by her anxiousness, but also happy for her, knowing what this could mean for her if she had made a worthwhile discovery.

Maria, while sometimes so excited her words would outpace her mind, was usually a very calm individual, appreciating the subtle details in everything she studied and worked on. This calm only ever broke when she was learning something new or was close to unlocking a mystery which had puzzled her.

“Ah, I’m sorry. I’ve been so anxious to go and see if it firsthand, it’s just that I didn’t want to leave without you and I couldn’t go last night and I could barely even sleep…”

Jane noticed the few smudges of ink that were on Maria’s cheek, a sure sign she had fallen sleep at her desk – Hopefully she’s rested enough for today’s venture.

“Well then, why don’t we get underway now?” Jane suggested. “Although…” she trailed off, concerned about if they should leave or not while Thorold was away.

“Ah, good idea, I can explain on the way. Here, I picked up a potion for you, go grab a bag as we may also need it for anything we find.”

Jane hurried off to fetch her bag, but was still concerned if they would be safe without Thorold there. She thought of reason for staying and going as she went and retrieved a small shoulder-slung bag. While their adventures had always been relatively peaceful, with the most Thorold ever having to fend off was a few wild animals and a goblin, there was always that “what-if” in the back of her mind.

She returned to Maria, the girl smiling as she asked if she was ready to go.

Jane, while worried, answered “yes”: With how she was acting, and by the sound of how huge an academic pursuit this was, refusing to go with Maria would only make it so that she went alone. Besides, Jane was confident in her magical abilities; it had been months since their last venture outside the city, in which time Jane had learned how to not only heal wounds and throw fire, but she also acquired a few scrolls which could help them if they really needed it.

Maria’s nodded as she closed the book and set it back in her pack, and retrieving the potion she had brought with her.

“You wouldn’t believe how expensive these are…” Maria griped, handing the two vials to Jane.

+ Mana Potion x2

“Fortunately, as it is the two of us, we won’t have to use my lantern all that much, but I did bring a blaze rod just in case.” Maria pointed out, referring to the ability they both had to conjure light when needed.

Once that was done, she headed for the door. Jane promptly followed as James stood at the ready, opening the door for them as they left.

“Do take care, Madam, I would hate to explain to your father as to why another outfit was ruined.”

“Oh, I don’t think that will be too much of an issue. Take care, James – we should be back sometime today.”

He gave a small smile and bowed again as he watched them leave.

Once they were on the road, Maria wasted no time to start explaining what this was all about.

“Jane, do you remember the old temple to the north?”

Jane remembered mention of a temple to the north: it was hidden in a cave within the coastal cliffs to the north. It was apparently built by some ancient cult.

“Well,” Maria continued, “all the historians and even grave-robbers of today think it is but a single room, a small place of worship for a small independent cult. However, a report has come from across the ocean not too long ago – a report that, may or may not have been lent to me from one of the instructors at the academy the day it made its way over here – that tells of Ylios temples having hidden rooms, even hidden sub-complexes within their walls.”

Jane turned to Maria surprised, starting to understand what she was getting at.

“Really? But, surely there would be others who would figure this out as well, yes?”

Maria’s smile widened as she simply stared at Jane for a moment.

“Alright, alright, what did you figure out that they didn’t?”

“Well, it was not so much what I figured out, but more of what someone else suggested. Almost everyone believes this temple outside of the city was formed by a small cult. That much is true, but no one has been able to figure out their origin… not until now!”

Jane continued on as they made their way through the residential district.

“Another researcher from Bayton hypothesized that this cult wasn’t an isolated entity, but was instead a group that split off from the larger religious sect overseas. If those temples over there had hidden rooms…”

“Then you think that this temple here may have them as well.”

“Exactly!” Maria exclaimed. “Once we’re in, we will be the first to set foot in there in a century! The artifacts and knowledge they had… I can’t even imagine what we might fine it there!”

For the rest of the trip to the northern wall, Maria went into the finer details of the temples as well as how the rooms had been unlocked. Jane had to admit, she was quite impressed and curious to see what could be hidden inside. Maria seems to think the cult’s focus was on acquiring magical power and how to give that power to those that had no magical aptitude. Jane now saw why Maria was so excited at not only the academic aspect of it, but at the prospect of being able to perhaps use some of that knowledge for herself.

It was no big secret that Maria had an extremely strong grasp of magical theory and how magic worked; she was able to go toe-to-toe with most instructors at the academy with how magical energy worked. However, Maria’s ability to cast spells was significantly weaker than most: after having spent most of her life, and many more years than Jane, she was only able to cast a few weak spells at the age of 21. It was a cruel twist of fate indeed, and one that Jane knew, as her friend, was one of Maria’s strongest desires and a fact that tormented her to no end. It was the reason she was unable to get into the academy, the board ruling her ineptitude with the practical application of magic would lead to her struggling in the courses, and eventually, failure.

Once they reached the northern wall, they talked with the guards there who oversaw one of the auxiliary gates. The city had one main gate on the outer wall, but to walk through it and then all the way around to the coast would take an extra hour. Once they were through, they could hear the guards lock and bar it behind them. Unfortunately, to get back into the city they would need to hike all the way back to the main gate, apparently as a matter of security.

Now outside, they made their way quickly made their way east, carefully navigating one of the safer parts of the cliff where a set of stairs had been carved from the rock. It was a slow decent, but they eventually made it down to the sandy beach below. Jane would usually take the time to admire the scenery, her last trip to the beach having been many years ago, but Maria seemed to be in quite the rush, forcing Jane into a light jog to stick close to her.

They had been making their way up the coast for ten minutes or so before they had started drawing close to their destination. Maria mentioned it was right around the next bend, but as she did so, Jane noticed two figures further down the beach. She grabbed Maria and quickly pulled her behind a section of the cliff.

“What is it?” Maria asked.

“I’m not sure, but I’d rather be safe than sorry when it’s just the two of us – It looked like there were people further down the coast.”

Jane signaled for Maria to be quiet as she slowly peeked around the outcropping. About a hundred feet down the coast were what looked to be two men, one human one orc, talking to one another. They wore simple clothes, torn in various places and devoid of any color. They were also well armed, each having a slightly curved sword at their hip and the human holding a crossbow... that appears to not only be unloaded but uncocked as well. There was also what appeared to be a makeshift tent next to them, as well as a few logs situated around a circle of stones – a makeshift campsite situated in the cover of the cliff. Jane could barely hear what they were saying, let alone understand it. She was unsure if they would attack on sight or not, unable to glimpse any sign that would point to either answer. What she did notice though, was that their camp was situated right outside of a cave. A cave, she assumed to be the one Maria was looking for.

Jane hid back behind the rock, relaying to Maria what she had just seen.

“Well… what should we do? Do you think they figured it out too?”

“From how they’re dressed, I don’t think they’re the scholarly type, but one way or another, we will need to get past them to get into the cave…”

Jane looked back at the pair from their hiding spot, thinking about what their options were: The two men seemed to be facing away from them at the moment, simply standing about and talking. The two of them could sneak along the cliffs, the rocks and outcropping providing ample cover to hide if they wanted to sneak closer. Besides that… any other approach would leave them in plain sight, and while a head-on attack could work, it could prove unreliable. Of course, the two girls could always openly approach them and see how friendly the two gentlemen were.

Map

Last edited:
OP
Cevrik777

Cevrik777

Sex Demon
Reputation score

Voting:
When voting in this chapter, know that you can only control Jane. To affect Maria’s actions, Jane must be able to speak or otherwise communicate with her to affect her actions. Fortunately, Maria’s pretty smart and will usually pick up on what Jane’s plan is if it’s not too unorthodox.

Primary Vote: What is to be done about the two men in front of the cave?

A) Jane and Maria attempt to sneak along the cliff face until they are close enough to… [Input]
B) Jane and Maria attack the two men, not wanting to take any chances.
C) Jane and Maria walk up the men, hoping to engage them peacefully.

X) Other

Z) Minor Action

Jane:
+ Mana Potion

Jane Theriner.
Height: 5’ 7”
Weight: 128 lbs.
Breast Size: 34d
Hair: Brown. Shoulder length. Few bangs in front, rest pinned behind head.
Eyes: Green

Constitution: 20/20
Mana: 10/10
Cantrip Charges: 5/5
Corruption: 2/100
Pleasure: 0/20
XP: 15/100

(STR) Strength: d6 + 1
(DEX) Dexterity: d8 + 1
(INT) Intelligence: d10 + 3
(WIS) Wisdom: d8 + 2
(CHA) Charisma: d10 + 0

Spells:
Minor Cure Wounds (1 Mana): The caster concentrates on their wounds, healing themselves in the process.
Effect: Heal yourself for your INT + Base INT.
CT: Medium(20 Seconds). Range: Self. Gesture. Requires Focus.

Magic Armor(1 Mana): The caster puts a protective shield over themselves to ward off blows.
Effect: The caster has an armor value equal to their Base INT for 5 rounds.
CT: Short(3 Seconds). Range: Self. Gesture.

Fireball(2 Mana): The Caster shoots a ball of fire towards their foe that explodes on impact.
Effect: The target takes the caster’s INT die + Base INT in fire damage during the initial cast and 1d4 – 2 fire damage for the next 3 rounds.
CT: Short (5 Seconds). Range 30 ft. Gesture. Saving Throw: Dex (6+ to put flames out).

Wave of Force(2 Mana): A massive amount of force blasts forth from the caster’s palm, sending their opponent flying backwards.
Effect: Deals 2d4 + Base INT and send the target flying d4 x 5 ft.
CT: Short (5 Seconds). Range: Melee. Gesture.

Cantrips:
Comprehend Language: The caster closes their eyes and concentrates, able to understand whatever those around them are saying for a short period.
CT: Medium (10 Seconds). Range: Ear-shot. Duration: 5 minutes. Requires Focus.

Material Shift: The caster focuses, enhancing or weakening the strength of an inanimate material, such as wood or metal for a time.
CT: Long (60 Seconds). Range: Touch. Duration: 1 hour. Requires Focus

Create light: Create an orb of light to illuminate your immediate surroundings. This orb becomes solid once conjured and can be held, rolled, or otherwise manipulated.
CT: Short (3 seconds). Duration: 1 hour. Light Range: 20ft. Gesture.

Skills/Passives:
Mercantile Mind: +2 on rolls to negotiate the price of goods. +1 on rolls for any perception or sense motive checks involving the value of an item.
Charming: +3 to Charisma-based checks against Human, Elf, Dwarf, Half-orc and Half-elf males.
Mana Reserves: After casting a spell, roll a d6: On the result of a “6”, the spell uses 1 less mana.
Budding Diplomat : +1 to Diplomacy rolls.

Sexual Experience: None
First Kiss: Edwin Darnel

Inventory/Clothing:

* Dagger/Sword *

Mana Potion (x2): Consume to Restore 5 Mana.
Scroll of "Bolster"
Scroll of "Racking Pain"
Scroll of "True Strike"

Head: N/A
Chest: Pale silver blouse.
Arms: Long Sleeves from blouse.
Legs: Dark grey skirt, extends to just above knee. Dark stockings.
Shoes: Flat boots, brown leather, flat heel .
Brassiere: Black silk bra.
Underwear: Black silk.

Maria:
Maria Chauss
Height: 5’ 6”
Weight: 122 lbs.
Breast Size: 32c
Hair: Brown
Eyes: Blue

Constitution: 16/16
Mana: 7/7
Cantrip Charges: 6
Corruption:0/100

(STR) Strength: d4 + 0
(DEX) Dexterity: d8 + 0
(INT) Intelligence: d12 + 5
(WIS) Wisdom: d8 + 0
(CHA) Charisma: d6 + 1

Spells:
Daze (1 Mana): Make contact with an enemy’s head and daze them, causing mental trauma. The target suffers 1d4 Mental Damage and is unable to act next round.
CT: Instant Range: Touch. Gesture
Saving Throw: WIS vs. Caster’s INT (Can only avoid 2nd round of stun)

Blind (1 Mana): The caster produces a searing light, blinding enemies and making them unable to act effectively for a turn.
CTL Short (3 Seconds). Range: Line of Sight. Gesture.

Barrier (2 Mana): The caster sets up a large field that will keep anyone or anything from passing through it as long as it remains active. The shield has 20 health and has no roll to hit when attacked. Once its HP reaches “0” or the caster stops channeling, the shield dissipates. The barrier does not consume additional mana for each turn.
CT: Short (3 Seconds). Range: Melee. Gesture.

Disintegrate Object (3 Mana): The Material Shift Cantrip in a much more volatile form, the caster sends forth a bolt of energy that eats away at any solid, inanimate object it hits. Permanently destroys one piece of enemy equipment or armor.
CT: Short (5 Seconds). Range: 25 ft. Gesture

Cantrips:
Transfer Mana: The caster channels their mana, sending it to another nearby magic user. The caster can send up to 3 points of mana with one cantrip charge.
CT: Medium (10 Seconds). Range: 30 ft. gesture

Create light: Create an orb of light to illuminate your immediate surroundings. This orb becomes solid once conjured and can be held, rolled, or otherwise manipulated.
CT: Short (3 seconds). Duration 1 hour. Light Range: 20ft. Gesture.

- Mending: Repairs a simple object or a piece of clothing.
CT: Long (1 Minute). Duration: Permanent. Range: Touch. Requires Focus

- Detect Magic: The caster attempts to scan a piece of equipment to see if it contains any magic.
CT: Medium (30 Seconds) Range: 5 ft. Requires Focus.

Skills/Passives:
Language: Ancient(Intermediate)
Magical Theory Prodigy: +5 INT
Studious Charm: +1 CHA
Archaeophilia: You have an obsession with ancient artifacts and relics, both magical and mundane.

Sexual Experience: ---

Inventory/Clothing:

Hip Quiver – Arrows: 20
Short Bow.
Damage: STR + DEX /2

Mana Potion (x1): Consume to Restore 5 Mana.
Corked Inkwell/Quill
Rations
Lantern w/ Oil
Blaze Rod
Rope – 20 ft. worth
Book: “The Tarmen Journal of Academic study and Archaeological Findings. Vol. XXXVI”

Head: Striped Scarf around neck.
Chest: Teal dress.
Arms: Teal dress.
Legs: Teal dress. Simple cloth pants.
Shoes: Walking Boots.
Brassiere: Grey silk bra.
Underwear: Grey silk underwear.

Dice Report:
Perception Check – Notice the two men before they notice Jane or Maria.
Wisdom: d8 + 2
Rolled: 4
Total: 6 vs. 5 = Success.

Perception Check – Notice that the crossbow is not cocked or loaded.
Wisdom: d8 + 2
Rolled: 6
Total: 8 vs. 6 = Success.

Last edited:

tomaito89

Sex Demon
Reputation score

Let's see...
Dagger and choice A: try to sneak by all the way to the cave entrance. Weapon at the ready just in case.

Kasei

Demon Girl
Reputation score

A. Carefully sneak closer until we can hear what they're saying

Gear47demon

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Hey, my posts aren't that long... well, okay maybe they are :p

Anyways, I like the Dagger as a choice, especially since Jane has a larger hit die for dexterity based weapons. Speaking of which, what weapons are considered dexterity based? Bows most likely, as well as guns and perhaps crossbows, but what about rapiers and other melee weaponry?

A seems to be the best option. While openly attacking isn't the best course of action, I doubt these gentlemen are going to be very friendly. Likely they're guards for another expedition, but what their orders or inclinations are is not entirely clear yet. I'll go with Kasei and see what they're saying to glean their intentions and why they are there. Should sneaking fail, however, then I want to be prepared based on two scenarios.

If they don't attack right away then have Jane reveal herself while Maria waits in hiding with her bow and have a chat with the two men from afar.

If they start attacking right away, however, then have Maria cast Blind on the crossbowmen while Jane uses a Fireball at him, with Maria focus firing on said crossbowmen.

Z Pop a few buttons on Jane's blouse. Just enough to show some skin and to distract, but not enough to show any noticeable cleavage.

xaero

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

Dagger

A sneak by them with weapons at ready, focus on killing the crossbow carrying guy if it comes to a fight

moonblack

Reputation score

Weapon: Dagger Damage is nice, but it's not much help if Jane misses, plus the dagger is easier to hide, and that is always useful.

Choice: Carefully and quietly approach the men and try to hear what they are talking about. After that, if we did not hear anything to suggest the two are potential enemies, call out to them and find out who they are, but keep some distance and be ready to attack them if they try to do anything hostile.

Attack pattern if it comes to it: Have Maria blind the guy with the crossbow while Jane casts Fireball on the other guy (as he is likely to rush them).

Sneaking past them means leaving two potential enemies behind our backs - which leaves us open to attack from behind when we least want it. On the other hand attacking them might attract the attention of any friends they have in the vicinity (or anything else that might be nearby, such as a hungry animal). So let's try the peaceful approach first - we can always change our mind later. Especially since the crossbow is not loaded - I doubt any guard would be stupid enough to not load his ranged weapon, so either they are not guards, or they are off-duty.