What's new

An Innocent Quest - OOC Chat

Zilrax

Master of Kinky Fetishes. Or just Bitch if you pre
Reputation score
Re: An Innocent Quest - OOC Chat

Another thing that isn't mentioned, at least in Pathfinder/3.x is that a high AC is a heavy defense against critical hits.

If you can only be hit 5% of the time, you also can only get crit 5% of the time, if that since you can't crit a confirmation roll. Of course, this doesn't help against classes that have Auto confirmation abilities, which are very valuable for that reason.

That said, there are diminishing returns in a sense, since any amount of ac exceeding making them only have 5% is effectively wasted, barring incoming buffs and debuffs. But since those are so prolific, it's generally worth it as long as you don't get too excessive since over specialization tends to be punished in dnd.

Doesn't work in 5e so much though since everything is capped all over the place.

OP
Pervy

Pervy

Dances with Girl-Cocks
RP Moderator
Reputation score

The diminishing returns is only true if you exceed any expected AB by more than 19 though, pretty huge margin, it means, discarding buffs and counter-buffs that makes an AC of 23+ 2x your level to prevent the 'being hit chance' from going over 5%.
Even so, most reach that high numbers only with a usage of shields and defensive feats, like.. defensive combat that can be activated as the situation demands it, which if they are needed are a fair enough investment -not- to get hit, and if they are -not- needed, can be dropped without a drawback.

Even so, over excessive pvp against a variety of builds, I found I could stomach losing 90 hp on a high level character better than 3 ac... shocking epiphany, being hit hurts. :p

But yeah, the in some cases extreme caps are one of the side aspects I do not enjoy in the fifth. I'm actually houseruling you can proceed after level 20 with another class and chose epic boons as you would epic feats in place of a score increase to make Myra function as what I want her to be able to do.

Last edited:

Zilrax

Reputation score

Druids are kinda notorious for hitting stupidly high acs between their wildshape, wild armor and spells. Not touch acs, which is generally their weak points but high acs certainly with a moderate investment.

Yeah, I'm not really a fan of 5e's bounded accuracy system either. Their goal is sorta the reverse, where accuracy and ac aren;t what scales as you level, but hp. So tougher enemies are different more in their ability to damage sponge than anything else. And you beat them as your damage scales up. It makes me think of the old trope of dnd rocket tag. Plus other things I've mentioned before and don;t really need to be reiterated.

Either way, level 3 yey. One more for assassin, then another one more into fighter to get what I want heh.

DaBomb

Cthulhu
Reputation score

I enjoy the caps for the simple fact that it makes characters more... mortal. In Pathfinder and 3.5e you become so much stronger than the average person, to the point where it becomes silly. While I do like making insane builds and what not, I feel that it adds a bit more realism in the game. Only a bit.

The biggest faults to me is the now more blatant difference in power between ability scores. Intelligence has so little use for non-int casters, that it is just flat out inefficient to try to invest in it. You no longer get more skills of languages, which honestly... bums me out. I like making smart characters but 5e doesn't really give any benefit for it. And the difference in usefulness is on the other end as well, with Dexterity becoming a godstat. you can dump strength for Dex in almost any build and still hold your weight against a strength fighter. Dexterity simply gives more benefits than strength, which... makes sense, but it's a bit unfair to STR fighters.

The other fault being how they handled Feats and ASI. I think it's incredibly boring to implement ASI as a class feature, instead of something that goes with Character level. It makes multiclassing overly complicated, and honestly just feels outright lazy. As if they didn't feel like coming up with more features for classes, and just using ASI as a replacement.

That is all.

Zilrax

Reputation score

I prefer otherwise. It's a factor of taste really. Pathfinder the characters are more like the heroes of legend. Hercules, Gilgamesh, Achilles, Cu' Chulainn and so forth. There's so many ways to actually shape things if you're strong enough and capable enough. Frankly my biggest issue with 3.x is that the martials can't live up to that while the casters get to exceed it.

In 5e you're more just some guy. You;re not that much more skilled, you're just more durable. Something that already happened in 3.x too, but it's about the only thing by design intent. You can take more hits than everyone else. It doesn't feel all that special. The sense of advancement in the world is lost. Combined with very few things to use gold you gather on (dmg implies buying a healing potion should be a quest) you run into a situation where gold is mostly just... Shiny rocks you barely need to track.

As I said, YMMV, but for me often 5e feels more like I need to fight the game to get to do interesting things. That's inevitable in any rule system but 5e it fights me almost as hard as 4e did, just in diffrent ways.

I can go on a long talk explaining my thoughts on ability scores in general, but yeah I'm not too fond of that decision. That said, I like feats WAY better in 5e. They're more like how feats should have been to start with, expansive, allowing new capabilities, and not just either stripping things that always existed and locking them behind a feat tax or being long ridiculous chains to do the thing you want to do. Or just providing a small numerical bonus.

DaBomb

Cthulhu
Reputation score

I entirely agree. 5e did feats very well, in this case quality is definitely over quantity. Though, MAD characters don't really get too experience them, being only able to afford one or two of them, an unfortunate fact.

Ranger9000

Tentacle God
RP Moderator
Reputation score

I'm more in the camp that prefers 5e over Pathfinder/3.5 because of that martial/spellcaster divide. It was just too great a gap and when a wizard can do anything a fighter can do but better you have a problem. 5e I admit too a sledgehammer to the problem but I do feel it's a much more balanced game, and that I can pick non-spellcaster without feeling like I'm dragging the party down or cruising to be the extra on a team full of heroes.

Plus for games of playing something more like the classic hero and being able to carve my way through hordes of enemies without a hint of issues I prefer Exalted 2e and Scion anyways :p

DaBomb

Cthulhu
Reputation score

I feel the same way, that's why I stopped playing 3.5e. While the caster/martial divide still exists in Pathfinder it's many times smaller than 3.5e.

I mean, fighters are actually viable now. It feels strange to be perfectly honest.

Edit: Also, realized a bit ago that Druids have the Faerie Fire spell. So, our next encounter should be sneak attack city for our Rogue.

Last edited:

BlueSlime

Tentacle God
RP Moderator
Reputation score

I prefer to not play as a Hercules or an Achilles. I like the idea of my character not being immune to the world. At the same time, 5e doesn't prevent the PCs doing cool things, and a good DM-Group relationship should power the PCs up appropriately.

This doesn't work though if you have a Gygaxian grognard approach to D&D.

OP
Pervy

Pervy

Dances with Girl-Cocks
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Druids are kinda notorious for hitting stupidly high acs between their wildshape, wild armor and spells.
Grab a full plate, grab a tower shield, grab a defense combat style and a +2 dex modifier, done.

Pathfinder the characters are more like the heroes of legend. Hercules, Gilgamesh, Achilles, Cu' Chulainn and so forth. There's so many ways to actually shape things if you're strong enough and capable enough. Frankly my biggest issue with 3.x is that the martials can't live up to that while the casters get to exceed it.
Unless you dig deep you can't build a legendary hero kinda martial artist. Sure, you can build someone that cuts things really hard, but it doesn't translate into random feats of impossibility compared to the average mortal.

In 5e you're more just some guy. You;re not that much more skilled, you're just more durable. Something that already happened in 3.x too, but it's about the only thing by design intent. You can take more hits than everyone else. It doesn't feel all that special. The sense of advancement in the world is lost. Combined with very few things to use gold you gather on (dmg implies buying a healing potion should be a quest) you run into a situation where gold is mostly just... Shiny rocks you barely need to track.
You do have some powers, so this is rather inaccurate and frankly, I find item and gold usage comes from DM interaction. Some campaigns are just a huge dungeon crawl, in which gold is the final goal now, most other campaigns should feature variable challenges in which a more controlled want meets needs economy creates a dynamic, I could see it entirely possible to create moral dilemmas around gold or rare items in Witcher game style, that said, it is a rather extreme loss of all magical equipment and in my experience most DM's just work around it to tell a better story... though, giving the magical gear in DM's hands makes it more special too.

Ultimately, a lot of the arguments are high vs low fantasy, which is utterly to the DM to determine and not an innate part of the system, yes it got a bit of a nudging towards low fantasy, but I don't feel it was all that extreme. You are still playing a high fantasy campaign here, just by having high stats, just look at how your fight fight went, trust me, Anastacia would have shredded ten times your number in commoners. :p

Plus for games of playing something more like the classic hero and being able to carve my way through hordes of enemies without a hint of issues I prefer Exalted 2e and Scion anyways :p
Fair point. Also, you presume everyone can play a caster to the extend that martial classes become irrelevant, most can't. I famously remember one powerbuilder bitching at their caster getting focused down and my response being 'wheres your anklet of translocation, oh you didn't start with one nor with defensive casting. humnn'

I prefer to not play as a Hercules or an Achilles. I like the idea of my character not being immune to the world. At the same time, 5e doesn't prevent the PCs doing cool things, and a good DM-Group relationship should power the PCs up appropriately.

This doesn't work though if you have a Gygaxian grognard approach to D&D.
Geesh, we're doing all the talks today. I find myself in between two camps here, in that I like doing heroic things, but I believe that doing heroic feats comes from great struggle. It's easy to be the hero.. its hard to not be the hero and still do good.
Perhaps thats what Blue means too, anyway.

Gygax was a genius. Fact that, over 40 years after, we still play a game with the name he chose for it on it should tip any D&D player off on that one. Geniuses can still be mad, of course. Frankly, it was different times, on the one hand, yes, you couldn't use some of Gygax methods anymore today, much as I like 'em, on the other, the spirit of what he did and how he did it is very much relevant, trust me, I read Master of the Game. On the other,.. third hand I think you'd not find yourself disagreeing with the man much, going just by what I've seen you do, and I mean that as praise.

Frankly, I'd put you closer to using Gygaxians classic.. deadly style than myself, at least at the point where you spawned a cr 3 creature on a lone lvl 3 character, because that was what was supposed to spawn there based on the normal rulebook and hoped for me to/used a creative approach to get out of the thingie. Not that I mind, it makes sense for the world to hold higher leveled monsters than you, but anyway, my point is, the Gygaxian style can work nicely too.. you just need to warn people.

To .. pull back the curtain a little, in part this is why I made Innocentquest, rather than presenting you with the usual 'characters grow and have an increasing impact on the world around them, stopping bad things and causing good things' I instead wanted to go with an alternate approach to give the characters meaning, impact and importance... through the villain.

Last edited:

Zilrax

Reputation score

We don't have high stats. We have the baseline assumption for the game. Most of us have essentially the assumed stat array for that matter.

DaBomb

Cthulhu
Reputation score

Oh that reminds me of another thing I don't like about 5e.

The dreadfully low skill bonuses. It takes way too long to level a skill to useful levels and by then you're in the high tier of levels, so it becomes useless again.

Zilrax

Reputation score

Eh, it's there to make the rogue and bard to be best at skills, by letting the rogue get double bonuses to certain skills and the bard to add 1d6 to any check and able to get whatever skills they wanna have.

OP
Pervy

Pervy

Dances with Girl-Cocks
RP Moderator
Reputation score

We don't have high stats. We have the baseline assumption for the game. Most of us have essentially the assumed stat array for that matter.
27 points is epic point buy and recommended for high fantasy, 5.0 just caps harder but we've been over that. Granted, you'd propably be stronger if I had you do a roll 4d6 drop lowest.. but you might be lower then too.

Ranger9000

Tentacle God
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Play Barbarian, break the game's caps with your MANLY/WOMANLY MIGHT and getting up to 24 CON and STR at level 20.

DaBomb

Cthulhu
Reputation score

Actually, 27 points is the equivalent to a 15 point buy, considering Attributes start at 8 instead of 10.

Zilrax

Reputation score

Not in 5e. In 5e that's the baseline. 27 in pointbuy. If you compare the points and the arrays they recommend, they come out to the same numbers.

5e actually recommends you roll stats though as the baseline.

OP
Pervy

Pervy

Dances with Girl-Cocks
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Play Barbarian, break the game's caps with your MANLY/WOMANLY MIGHT and getting up to 24 CON and STR at level 20.
*Mehs, used to doing most of that on lvl 1 with classic rage*

I mean, hard caps make sense from a biological standpoint, theres only so much you can achieve, same for your brain and subsequently, mental stats, but as Tolkien put it in erb, the genres called fantasy, its ment to be unrealistic.

DaBomb

Cthulhu
Reputation score

What would I roll to try and identify the woman and the plane we're in? Arcana?

OP
Pervy

Pervy

Dances with Girl-Cocks
RP Moderator
Reputation score

What would I roll to try and identify the woman and the plane we're in? Arcana?
Is she a spell? And huh.. theres no more knowledge the planes? booo.. at least that makes arcana moar useful.

You roll arcana, you get arcana.

Last edited: