What's new

[Text Based RPG] Demon Hunt: Mournholm Castle (version 0.5e - better combat messages)

Acac

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score
Current Version: 0.6 (Alpha)

Maximum Floors: 2
Minimum Free Will: 751
Maximum Blessings: 15

Change Log:
2017-07-20 - version 0.6
-Free will is now better expressed, with text and color indicating different stages.
-lower free will stages unlock more scenes.
-Color coding for low player HP.
-Offering yourself now converts between the required number of pride and twice that mount (but no more than what you have).
-this means it's possible to convert up to 400 pride in a day (but probably average 300), in the current build.
-Talking to the priest will now occasionally have him give you hints about gameplay mechanics.
-When visiting the priest, it should now be more clear what's causing you to lose pride.
-the priest can now offer a service to break down your armour so that it complies with your obligations.
-scrolls and books now have a 100% chance to give you a piece of lore.
-added 12 tattoos and 4 piercings
-added 1 obligation
-added 3 more pieces of lore

2017-04-10 - version 0.5e
-bug fix: As pointed out by AngMyDee (Thanks!), if you die from being ambushed, the continue button at the end of the scene did not work. This has now been fixed.
*saves from the last version ARE compatible with this version

2017-04-08 - version 0.5d
-revised some lore for consistency
-bug fix: made repair menu and map menu not resizable.
-made the continue button not available if there is no save file.
-made new game not ask you if you are sure, if there is no save file.
-if save file is corrupted, the player is notified, and the game quits.
-revised how combat feedback is given to the player. Combat should feel a lot more streamlined, now!

2017-04-04 - version 0.5c
-Modified repair costs for higher rarity repair items.
-bug fix: all items in the inventory show armour obligations, when only armour should. Also, the message given was wrong.
-fixed some writing errors

2017-04-04 - version 0.5b
-bug fix: can no longer repair an item if you don't have enough favor

2017-04-03 - version 0.5

-Added Rape on Lose scenes for Monsters
-Added Hentai Scenes with the Priest
-Added Roughly 22 Hentai Scenes (or 5 scenes with 3 to 6 stages/variations each)
-Added Talk to Priest
-Added Repairing of Equipment
-Added Gain Favor
-Added Join Covenant
-Added Gaining Blessings
-Added Map
-Added ability to name your character
-Added Option to hide dice feedback
-Added Option to hide map button
-Added Character Screen
-Added button to sort inventory
-Added ability to use books
-Added Lore

Setting:
Demon Hunt: Mournholm Castle takes place in a dark fantasy setting. You play as a female warrior, trapped within a castle ruin. An old priest is likewise trapped with you, and together, you two must find a way out.

Gameplay:
This is a text-based, dungeon crawling RPG. Equipment, items, enchantments, enemies and even rooms and layouts are randomly generated. The combat mechanics are similar to Dungeons and Dragons and is based on dice rolls, often a D20. Equipment can have enchantments that bolster your stats. However, equipment also lose durability with use. As you explore the castle, you must also keep your tiredness in check. Currently, potions, repair items, books, weapons and armour are functional in the game.

This game uses an auto-save system.

Hentai:
There are currently 5 repeatable H-scenes in the game, with progressive stages and variations within those stages. Right now, there's about 22ish variations total. They generally fall under two categories: Rape on Lose, and Corruption.

My intention is to make a game with H-content, rather than an H-game. Therefore, H-scenes will take a little work to find. But, hopefully that makes the H scenes even more worthwhile, and the game is still fun to play!

Fetishes:
Clothing Damage (not tied to HP), Corruption, Pregnancy (Not yet implemented), Rape on Lose, Tattoos and Piercings.

What I need from you:
Please give me lots of feedback! The game is still in alpha, and I could really use your feedback on what I'm doing right and what I'm doing wrong.

1. How is the writing? Is it too long or too short? Does it flow okay?
  2. Are the hentai scenes interesting? How can I make them better?
  3. How do you find the tone of the game? Is it consistent? Is it appropriate?
  4. Is the game balance okay?
  5. Is the game fun to play?
  6. How is the UI?
  7. Please let me know if you run into any bugs or writing mistakes!

Thank you very much! Cheers!

Attachments

Last edited:

BlueLight

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score
Re: Demon Hunt: Mournholm Castle, Text Based RPG

The ui should generally be usable with the keyboard.
For traveling, using wasd with corresponding compass direction is recommended.

The keys i'd expect you to use as hotkey are
qwerasdf in this instances.

Also for the data you, may i recommend making a file when they finish the game that will explain the users adventures?

OP
Acac

Acac

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score
Re: Demon Hunt: Mournholm Castle, Text Based RPG

The ui should generally be usable with the keyboard.
For traveling, using wasd with corresponding compass direction is recommended.

The keys i'd expect you to use as hotkey are
qwerasdf in this instances.

Also for the data you, may i recommend making a file when they finish the game that will explain the users adventures?
Thanks for the suggestions!

Initially, I was on the fence about adding keyboard shortcuts. I knew it would streamline gameplay, but it felt like it would have been a bit too complex. But, after reading your comment, I put some more time and research into it, and it came out to be fairly easy. The game now has keyboard shortcuts for the main window, and it's based on qwer/asdf/cv. :) The inventory menu and other menus might be a bit too complex for shortcuts, but I'll look into those a bit more deeply, later on.

Yup, can do about a manual. :) I intentionally want to make things a bit cryptic and ambiguous. I want the player to figure stuff out, and get the feeling of satisfaction from it. But, at the same time, I don't want to make the mechanics too unfairly hidden or unintuitive. I'll definitely write a manual, but I'll probably do a few drafts to find the right balance. I'll probably explain the stats that directly pertain to combat, and what kind of items you might find in the game (potions, books, weapons, etc...). The rest will hopefully be intuitive or reasonably discoverable for the player.

Thanks, again!

BlueLight

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score
Re: [Text Based RPG] Demon Hunt: Mournholm Castle

What i meant with the users adventure, was you were asking detailed information from the player. If you saved that to a file when their adventure came to a end, you'd make it as easy as posting a log in spoiler or best case, uploading a text file for you to read.
Better yet, you could also put more details into it, like how long it took them to get to a mile stone. It's doubtful a player would remember information like the latter bit.

OP
Acac

Acac

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

What i meant with the users adventure, was you were asking detailed information from the player. If you saved that to a file when their adventure came to a end, you'd make it as easy as posting a log in spoiler or best case, uploading a text file for you to read.
Better yet, you could also put more details into it, like how long it took them to get to a mile stone. It's doubtful a player would remember information like the latter bit.
Ah, I get what you're saying. Yeah, that's a really good idea! I might make the game spit out a small txt file or a log file when the player finishes the game (or maybe whenever the game saves). It could have some basic stats that the player might like to read, and it could also help me assess how people are doing in the game (if the players PMs me the files).

Thanks!

Pykrete Blue

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

Looks cool from what you've shown so far. I look forward to you releasing something playable, do you have any plans for a demo?

OP
Acac

Acac

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

Looks cool from what you've shown so far. I look forward to you releasing something playable, do you have any plans for a demo?
Thank you for the kind words. :)

I thought about making a demo, but sadly, I think I'm too new to game development to make a decent demo. The thing is, I can't really make a game that has all the functionality and some of the content. It's more like, I have half of the functionality and all the content that pertain to those functionality done. =(

That being said, I'm planning on releasing a beta version of the game, maybe 3 months from now. It should pretty much have all the content in the game!

I expect the beta version will be fairly unbalanced, and maybe a bit buggy. When it comes out, I could really use your help through feedback, like how the game balance could be tweaked, etc. =)

Update:
Also, a quick update! I did some research and practice with saving and loading data, and I've got a save functionality working for the game, now. It basically saves all the needed info about the state of the game map, and the player herself. Everything else will be pretty much generated on the spot when the game loads. The tricky part is making sure I captured all the right details. Like, I don't want the game to forget what the enchantment on the sword you left in the last area was.

I still have to built the load function, which hopefully will have enough info from the save file. If not, I can always amend the save function a bit. I think I can finish the load functionality by end of tomorrow, or maybe the weekend.

After that, I still have to implement combat, and also the interactions with the priest. Interaction with the priest includes a lot of stuff like enchantments and leveling up. Combat and the priest interactions are also the two areas where all the H will be found, so I'll have a lot of writing ahead of me!

I suspect, realistically I have 2 or 3 months left to go, but who knows, optimistically it could be shorter than that. To be honest, I feel really optimistic right now, because I expected saving and loading to be the most complex aspect for the game, and now it seems to be almost done.

Cheers!

Last edited:
OP
Acac

Acac

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

Update:

Hi, just a quick update!

I'm pretty confident I got saving and loading to work! Instead of letting the player save the game, the game will regularly auto-save, and you can only load a save right after the game application is started. There will only be one save file, so you won't be able to save/reload to avoid situations. This might seem a bit disorienting, but some of my favorite games do this, and I think it does a good job of setting the tone. You're basically forced to live with your decision or luck.

Actually, under this setup, a really hard part became finding all the right places to trigger an auto-save. So, whenever you move an item from the ground to your backpack, the game better save the fact that the item is now with you.

Anyway, I feel pretty good about this. :) I think pretty much the most complex aspect of the game code has been conquered. I'll still have to update the save/load mechanism as I introduce more variables to the game, but the tough part is done!

For now, I'll clean up some loose ends in the code, just some general polishing. One of the big things I want to do now is to revamp the code for giving story text to the player. It's quite cluttered behind the curtain, and I think I can streamline it. After that, I'll start working on combat.

I might not post next weekend, because I'll be fishing with some mates. But, I'll pick it up again afterwards.

Cheers!

OP
Acac

Acac

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

Update:

I'm happy to say that I was able to redo the code around giving story text to the player! Basically, it's a lot more streamlined now, and the code is a lot tidier. This means that I can get a lot of the story aspects of the game done much faster. This also means that I can reuse the same code for any future games I might be able to make.

I also did a lot of of general polishing around the UI and adding some code (like stat bonuses from equipment getting pushed onto the character's stats).

Lastly, just want to say, I was able to give a copy of the current version to a friend of mine, and he was kindly able to do some testing and give me some feedback. He did give me a lot of great feedback, a lot of it around user-friendliness. I'll be sure to make those changes wherever possible. That basically means this game is now in closed alpha testing.

Now, I'm just focusing on two things. First, I need to do some catch-up with writing. Basically, this is a lot of lore text, and descriptions for items and monsters. Actually, more specifically, I wrote a lot of descriptions within the code, but I haven't copied the text into a doc file. I like to keep all text used in the game in doc files, so that I can keep them for reference, and so that I can run them through spell check. So, essentially I need to catch up on my documentation. Second, I'll start working on the combat system. I think the text will be done in the next day or two, and then hopefully the combat system will be done in the next week or so.

Cheers!

Last edited:

AGamerPassingBy

Tentacle God
Reputation score

I can't wait to play this out! :)

If only the beta version can release faster. :p

OP
Acac

Acac

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

I can't wait to play this out! :)

If only the beta version can release faster. :p
Thanks!! I was talking to my friend, who has more experience in game dev than I do, and he gave me a good scope for what I could include in a demo. I don't think I can release a demo right now, but I'll try to release it as soon as I can! No promises, but hopefully in 4 weeks or so. :)

OP
Acac

Acac

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

Update:

Hi All! Just a quick update! I have some good news and some bad news. The good news is that I got a lot of work done on combat. The bad news is that unfortunately, combat is not finished, yet. Some of it works, but some of it doesn't. It will need some more coding. I underestimated how much coding groundwork the combat mechanics was going to depend on, so I spent a lot of time writing code that I did not initially anticipate.

I suspect that to finish combat and to test it well, it might actually take another couple of weeks. Furthermore, after that, I'll still have to get the priest part of the game working, before I can release any kind of demo.

The good thing is that I was able to do some writing for the priest aspects of the game. I was inspired, so I got it down on paper before I forgot! Just a reminder, basically the priest will offer you a lot of services, such as IDing your items and repairing your gear. He will also be the source of a lot of H-content.

The other good thing is that once I have combat complete, I don't think there will be much mechanically intensive things left to do. Once it's done, it's done!

Finally, I'd like to share some screenshots of what the combat looks like right now. They're not exactly in chronological order. They're actually from 5 different encounters, I think. It's a rough draft, so feel free to give criticism or make suggestions! I won't take any offense, and now would be the time to make those changes! :)

Cheers!

Last edited:

AGamerPassingBy

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Update:Cheers!
Why must you tease me like this?! :(
Just kidding :p.

Oh, i'm curious about one thing, when you said that the priest will be one of the main source for H content, will it be mainly consensual?

OP
Acac

Acac

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

Why must you tease me like this?! :(
Just kidding :p.

Oh, i'm curious about one thing, when you said that the priest will be one of the main source for H content, will it be mainly consensual?
Hey, thank you for asking, that's a really good question!

Strictly speaking, none of the H-content with the priest will be non-consensual. As the player, you will always have control over when an H-event happens. You're the one with the axe, and he's just an old man.

BUT...you can't really say it's consensual, either. He's the only source of some services that you will want or even need. And, to get something, you must also give something.

Ultimately, the decision is yours, as the player. But, you must also accept the consequences of the choices you make. ;)

AGamerPassingBy

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Hey, thank you for asking, that's a really good question!

Strictly speaking, none of the H-content with the priest will be non-consensual. As the player, you will always have control over when an H-event happens. You're the one with the axe, and he's just an old man.

BUT...you can't really say it's consensual, either. He's the only source of some services that you will want or even need. And, to get something, you must also give something.

Ultimately, the decision is yours, as the player. But, you must also accept the consequences of the choices you make. ;)
Ah... i see. If anything the one that needed to give their consent is actually the priest, right? :p

Wait, then, is it possible for the heroine to eventually rape the poor old man?! :eek:
I mean, there's corruption right? It's not a stretch to imagine when the Heroine has already high enough corruption level, she don't give a damn for the priest's consent.

Last edited:
OP
Acac

Acac

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

Ah... i see. If anything the one that needed to give their consent is actually the priest, right? :p

Wait, then, is it possible for the heroine to actually rape the poor old man?! :eek:
I mean, there's corruption right? It's not a stretch to imagine when the Heroine has already high enough corruption level, she don't give a damn for the priest's consent.
That's a good idea, but I don't think I'll stretch it that far. :)

There's definitely some power play going on, but it should make sense in the demo (hopefully!).

Last edited:

archedio

Sex Demon
Reputation score

is there monster, fiends, tentacle, parasite or even beast? if it just human on human, then,, nahhhh...

and u should make a minimap, it helps a lot u know? i've seen a lot text based game rpg like this with minimap..
just a simple minimap will do..
well, its just my opinion.. so..

Last edited:
OP
Acac

Acac

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

is there monster, fiends, tentacle, parasite or even beast? if it just human on human, then,, nahhhh...

and u should make a minimap, it helps a lot u know? i've seen a lot text based game rpg like this with minimap..
just a simple minimap will do..
well, its just my opinion.. so..
Thanks for the feedback and the suggestion! :)

I'll think about adding a mini-map into the game. Personally, I want to intentionally leave it out, so that the player him or herself has to deal with mapping the dungeon. Although it will be frustrating, returning to a set of stairs or the rest area will be that much more satisfying, because you accomplished it yourself. Getting lost will be that much more harrowing, as well. What do you think?

Cheers!

Last edited:
OP
Acac

Acac

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

Update:
Hi All, I just wanted to give you guys a quick update. I've made pretty good progress on combat so far. It's not complete yet, but the good thing is that the transition from exploring, to encountering an enemy, to fighting the enemy, and finally back to exploring works! What's more, attacking and dying (player or monster) works, as well. On top of that, the different types of weapons, the armour and their enchantments are doing their thing perfectly fine in combat, which is great. :)

There's still a lot left though, such as weapon and armour taking damage, gaining 'Pride' when you defeat an enemy, creating the screens to let the player use potions and change weapons in combat, getting potions to work, a few updates to the save/load system, and likely a few other things on top of that.

If you guys are interested, here are a few more screenshots on how the game is looking, so far.

I have some slightly unfortunate news. I've been feeling a bit burnt out lately with this game. I'm not abandoning it, but I noticed that lately I've been putting in maybe an hour every couple of days, as opposed to before, when I was put in like two or three hours everyday. It stopped exciting me as much, and to be honest, I missed playing H-games. So, for the last week or so, I've binged on a number of H-games, including Blood Rush, Celeste Blake by dracis3d, Fight Club Reborn by Magma, Survive or Succumb by Pykrete Blue, New Life by Splendid Ostrich, and a ton of Sexlab mods for skyrim. :p But, I think after I ween off my binge, I should be keen to get back into coding, lol.

One last thing: I really want to give a shout out to my mate, dracis3d, for helping me out a lot. He let me bounce a lot of ideas off of him, and was kind enough to some time testing out my game. He is working on his own game, which is based on twine and has a ton of content. I'd really appreciate it if you could check it out for him, .

Cheers!

Last edited:
OP
Acac

Acac

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

Update:
Hi All, it's been a while, so I thought I'd give a quick update. I wasn't able to do much in the last couple of weeks. Honestly, my motivation was in the pits. There were some code hurdles that I just didn't want to think about. Instead, I spent some time playing games and hanging out with some friends.

But in the last couple of days, I did tackle those hurdles. These challenges include changing the save/load system to handle a bunch of new variables related to potions, a screen for using potions and changing weapons in combat, and giving enemies a better inventory system. I'm getting excited about coding again, so that's a good sign. =)

Potions:
Since I'm coding potions right now, I thought I'd talk about the mechanics I've planned for them. You have the usual health potions that heal your HP, but most potions are actually "stats" potions. Stats potions, when imbibed, increase your stats (evasion, fire resistance, etc) for the rest of the day. These buffs last through multiple battles, but wears off once you sleep. Two potions that increase the same stat don't stack, but the bigger value takes effect. So, if you drink a potion that raises your awareness by 3, and then another potion that would increase your awareness by 2, the second potion would have no effect. But, if you drank the potions in the opposite order, your awareness bonus would go from 0 to 2 to finally 3 total. Potions will come in multiple strengths, with potent potions having a stronger effect than dilute ones.

The buffs you get from these potions will be pretty significant. One of the big player choices within this game will be whether you'll choose to join the priest's covenant or not. Joining his covenant will be the only way to level up in this game. But, this is also a path that will cost you your free will. As an alternative to leveling up, you might use potions instead. Really strong potions, on average, will have the effect of leveling up about 9 times (but only for that day). These potions will be rare, though.

Cheers!

Last edited: