What's new

[DMM/Nijiyome] Kagura Shadow Wars

Belkezar

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
Kagura Wars - Title Screen.jpg
Debonosu Factory started put out an free-to-play online-only gacha game some years ago; I finally looked into it out of curiosity. It's cute. The gallery is weird because there's only a handful of new events; rather it's a collection of hundreds of events from the actual games. Anyways.

Links: DLsite/Nijiyome - (recommended)
DMM -
Tsutaya -

It's Chrome-only on PC, Chrome or Firefox on Mac.

Gameplay - at the start you pick one of three shrines, which determines both your UI assistant girl and your choice of starting miko.
Gameplay is pretty simple - your team of up to five units (mikos, miko-adjacent characters, and youkai), and if you choose, a mercenary from a random selection of players, fight it out with waves of monsters. It isn't quite turn based; everyone has a speed stat that determines initial starting order and you can drop units down to lower initiatives for setting up combos.
Your HP is determined by the combined HP of your entire team. Your HP will refill between waves. If cut to 0, you can spend a Decoy consumable to refill your HP and keep going but you don't get a lot of those.
There's an element wheel. First aspect is advantages - fire > metal > plant > earth > water > fire. This only makes like a 10% difference, so it really only matters for high-damage super moves.
Second and much more important aspect is priming, which grants combo chains for massive damage. Fire -> Earth -> Metal -> Water -> Plant -> Fire.
Units require combo chains to build up their special abilities and moves.
Enemies can combo and it will push your shit in at higher level battles; you can deliberately drop a unit into the middle of the enemy actions to break up their combos if you want.
There's an evolution system; combine two copies of the same unit to upgrade it; while doing this you can grab a skill or more from a third unit, sacrificing it. If you get multiple copies of an evolved unit, you can do it again and grab more skills, but a unit can only have three active skills.
Unit rarities are Normal, Rare, Super Rare, and Ultra Rare; the stat gap between tiers is pretty massive. The various mikos have a minimum rarity of Rare; you can actually get them from the free gacha at a low rate.
Many maps have an optional hard mode you can access after killing the boss; HP does not refill between waves on hard mode, so you'll need either overwhelming firepower or a willingness to burn decoys to get through.
Daily login turns over at 11 AM EST.

Controls:
You click things.
More seriously, UI explanation:
Kagura Wars - Hub Screen.jpg
The top left bell returns to hub or title screen; the top right bell brings up the menu, which gets its own section. The bells can be dismissed or summoned at any time by clicking the top of the screen.
Message board - notices, including how many times your designated merc got used by other players and what element gets bonus XP today.
Gift box - holds your gifts from quest awards and other things.
Mission book - lists all currently available missions; some missions refresh daily and others are limited time or one-time only.
Fortune box - draw a fortune slip, getting a random buff for 24 hours. Costs a fortune consumable. I, uh, usually forget do this.
Prayer placards from left to right 1) Duty (battle) Selection, 2) Summon (GACHA), 3) Roster
The __ out of 100 or whatever is how many units are currently cluttering up your roster. The bigger number to the right is how any Old Coins (Free currency) you have; 1000 can be used for a low end summons; larger amounts can be cashed in for summon scrolls and other items.
At the bottom is shown the current event token being awarded; you can cash in 3 or 4 of them for a single high-end summons, or convert them into Old Coins after an event ends.
Aside: A random battle will have an event token assigned to it each day; you need to go through that battle's story mode, watch for the token to pop up on a dialogue box, and click on it to claim it.
Kagura Wars - Menu v1.jpg
Volume bar is the volume; click on the speaker to mute the game.
1) Return to title
2) Return to hub
3) Go to Duty select; duties are split into Novice, Intermediate, Senior, and Special. Senior level duties are nasty. Special duties are about Intermediate in difficulty but have more waves on enemies.
4) Roster. You can view units, or sell them, or shove them into your storehouse. Units in a party can be put in the storehouse and still fight in the party without counting against the roster,but the storehouse only gets 50 spots by base. Once you've selected a unit for viewing, you can click on its name again to reach the official database.
5) Train - sacrifice units to give other units XP. The sparrows are XP units. Chibi mikos are also XP units, but are also real units with abilities. Sacrificing non-XP units is extremely inefficient - like 10,000 Xp vs. 20 XP.
6) Formation - assemble your parties of 5 here. Goal is one unit of each element per party. You can have up to 20 parties.
7) Summon - GACHA
8) Inventory - Covers your current inventory of consumable items, the gift box, and the record of everything you've gotten out of the gift box.
9) Shop - can trade free currency for items, or real money for quality of life upgrades like bigger roster size.
10) Gallery - this is where the smut lives (as of 9/21/22, 421 pictures). The various pictures are broken up into 12 or 4 pieces, which you'll unlock at random from doing battles. You can also spend stone tokens (bronze, silver, and gold) to unlock missing pieces on any particular picture. Fully unlocking a picture gets you stamina refill or a summon scroll and also unlocks the full scene for that picture (up to and including full voice for most). I have no idea if there's any rhyme or reason to getting the unlock tokens. Harder maps usually reward more tokens.
11) Evolution - combine units to upgrade them, sacrifice units to add additional skills to evolving units. There's a special sparrow type that lets you psuedo evolve a unit just for the purpose of adding a skill to it. You can pick what skills to pass on when evolving unit by just clicking on them. White means passing, green means could be passed on, red means can't be passed on.
12) Mission List - it's the mission list, do missions to get consumables/summon scrolls/etc. You can click on the names of units to reach the Database and see what maps they appear on, if you need to know (very relevant for kill or recruit missions).
13) Pilgrimage - JP Mobile only. They added an entire PokeMon Go! mode for April Fools like two years ago, because Debonosu takes April 1st very seriously.
14) Unit gallery - view the artwork of your unlocked units. A lot of these can make for decent phone wallpapers.
15) Redemption - You can redeem your product codes for actual Debonosu games for bonus SR quality units - anywhere from 1 to 3 depending on the game whose code you're redeeming. I have no idea what happens if you make an alt account and try to redeem a code you've already redeemed.
16) Configuration - brings up a whole mess of additional settings.
I can try to add more if people actually want.

Story: You are a demon-binding exorcist whose been asked to provide assistance to various shrines. Each of the battles has a short story line attached to it, referencing a stage from one of couple dozen of Kagura games.
I have no idea if your protag kun is supposed to be seducing any of these girls. My hunch is no but since we're already violating time and space for some of these girls to be hanging out together (one of the selectable starting shrines/girls are pre-WW2 IIRC), perhaps that's on the table anyways. No idea.

I have no idea how much actual discussion this will be worth. It's cute, so I'll probably play it until I reach the point where I'd have to yeet a miko or pay real money to get more inventory space and stop there. Collecting 150 mikos works as a victory condition, I suppose.

Last edited: