What's new

ACT [barreytor] Bunny Blaster! [Scrolling Shooter][3D CG]

barreytor

Tentacle Monster
Reputation score
Bunny Blaster! is a top down scrolling shooter that takes elements from the bullet hell genre (namely, the tons of bullets everywhere). There isn’t much, if anything, in the way of plot.
You shoot at waves of bunny girls that come at you shooting, until you get to the boss bunnygirl. The gameplay basics are relatively simple, but the complete version will have a decent amount of content for a game as small as this one.

Sample images spoilered for size

Here’s the link to the demo:

The demo has only the one stage, and loops it forever (and has no game over HCG or victory HCG). The full version will have a total of four stages, two different gameover animated HCG, one animated victory HCG, and a few unlockable static CGs.

Last edited by a moderator:

azurezero

Tentacle God
Reputation score
Re: Bunny Blaster! [Scrolling Shooter][3D CG]

dont forget to mention that youre gonna be selling this game at a discount in a bundle with me when its done (might have to release my game before then though)

I hope you get the feedback you need to push you through the rest of your development

OP
barreytor

barreytor

Tentacle Monster
Reputation score

I had this silly idea of saying I'd give away two or three copies to randomly chosen feedback comments, but considering today is today, I'm fairly sure noone would've taken me seriously.

I'm looking forward to finishing it this week. though I'm wondering if I should just up and let people preorder it.

azurezero

Tentacle God
Reputation score

I had this silly idea of saying I'd give away two or three copies to randomly chosen feedback comments, but considering today is today, I'm fairly sure noone would've taken me seriously.

I'm looking forward to finishing it this week. though I'm wondering if I should just up and let people preorder it.
I think people might be apprehensive to pre-order...
but beside that... I hope some of the lurkers come forth to comment

Ayra

Mystic Girl
Reputation score

Alright, played the demo. I want to preface that I'm not bullet shooter expert by any means and I haven't played many of them so my point of comparison is pretty limited.

"Basic" is really the most appropriate term I can give to the game. It's functional, but it doesn't really impress. Specific points:

- Character 3D CG images are fine: I like the main character mostly. The random bunnygirls eyes look a bit weird to me, but that might be just me.

- The near-complete silence of the game doesn't help give a good first impression. I know it's just a demo, but...

- The multiple weapons are a very nice touch and it's appreciated. However, it's extremely difficult to level up more than one. The problem is that the power ups come from the regular enemies which takes multiple hits. That's no problems at the beginning when the enemies are spaced out. However, they soon start appearing extremely bunched up, which prevents you from actually killing enemies. For example, if you have a massive row of enemies but you can't kill the first one soon enough, you'll be unable to kill any of them if you are not using a sufficiently powered weapon (or the green energy thingy).

The homing weapon in particular seems to be nearly impossible to level up when there's more enemies as they come and go very fast, you need two shoots to kill an enemy, and they don't necessarily target the closest thing: they seem to pick whatever they want so they can't kill anything when there's many enemies.

- The gameplay area on the sides feels slightly too small. Basically, if you move to the far right, there's still some space between your character and the edge of the gameplay screen. I had multiple situations where I tried to dodge into the remaining space on the right, but was unable to due to the "invisible wall" there. Found it pretty annoying.

- Bullet hell games tend to have varied looking enemy bullets and enemy sprites (the ones I played anyway). Here it's all the same boring bullet, with absolutely no animation to anything besides their death animation (which is good). You don't want to have too many things pulling the player's attention at once of course, but right now it feels incredibly basic.

- Is it wanted that you are that your attacks are that much more powerful in precision mode? I feel that's the mode you want to play in most of the time anyway, just in order to survive.

- Liked that you have an optional toggle for your hitbox.

OP
barreytor

barreytor

Tentacle Monster
Reputation score

List of things that need fixing.
Thanks for your feedback, these are the kinds of things that I need someone to check and comment on so I actually know that they need fixing.

I have some music pieces earmarked to fix the silence thing, but I'm not sure about adding too many sound effects, specially when the enemies shoot.

I'll see about expanding the usable area to the sides, too. Didn't see it could have been a problem.

And I guess I'll have to do that weapon rebalancing sooner rather than later. Didn't really intend the "focus mode" to be all-powerful compared to regular, just a sliver stronger to make up for the slower movement.

Gotta see how I can increase the imagery variety in bullets, but the variety in enemy sprites is rather small by design...

azurezero

Tentacle God
Reputation score

I've played a lot of Danmaku (almost all of it Touhou), but I'm looking forward to this game and I would encourage using the previous posters recommendations for this game.

When this comes out, will it only be available to Patreons? Or will it be bundled on itch.io?
i gave my game to patrons, so i assume this will be given to his,
but it will be bundled with risky's dice battle still

heehee though i'm gonna try and get another game done before then :3, getting all the puzzles made before I put it all together, gonna be a ror

OP
barreytor

barreytor

Tentacle Monster
Reputation score

Boy I'm distracted (and/or stupid). I could have replied after Azure told me that someone said something (because I completely missed it because I have the thread open and therefore it will mark it as read and not appear in my subscriptions)

The plan for this game is having it obtainable either via Patreon or through itch.io (the latter being the regular old shop).

The plan also included it being already done, but... It... just... isn't?
Yeah.

I already implemented a few of the fixes over here, but there's still a bunch of work to be done.