What's new

Truly scary moments in gaming

super_slicer

Lord High Inquisitor
Staff member
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score
This is going to be a long one people.

As a veteran gamer with 2 decades (started real young) and 500+ titles under my belt (could be more, but it's hard to remember all those any more). I don't often find myself jumping and going "holy shit" from utter fear very often.

Don't get me wrong, I get frantic quite often, but this is more from "difficulty" based fear, like I don't have enough ammo/health to take on that hulking monstrosity, or from an enemy that disappears/teleports in some manner.

Having just played F.E.A.R. 3, a game full of "jump out" scares that didn't even make me flinch. Just because you learn the subtle cues over time, the change in music or lighting, entering a type of location (because there's at least one monster just waiting for you the entire game inside a vent or a sewer), and untill recently objects/bodies that were apparently in-animate but were just waiting for you to get close would look quite different than one that didn't do anything at all (kudos to F.E.A.R. 3 on this though, you can't tell the difference between the "in-wait" enemies and prop corpses, this might've gotten me the first time, but I was screwing around jumping on top of shelves :) ). Or because I was doing something completely different than the developers expected (see last paranthesis for point-in-case) and the "scare" was ineffectual because I was pre-occupied with something else.

I decided to play F.E.A.R. Perseus mandate for the first time last night and something got me really good.
While climbing down the ladder close to the end of the sewers area, it looked like some kind of water treatment plant or whatever. I saw a soldier round a corner and walk into an alley just as I reached the bottom. So I thought "He hasn't seen me! I can get the drop and melee him to death!" and quickly rounded the corner, only to find a blood smear and some of his body parts laying in a corner of the short, dead-ended, alley. And I thought to myself, okay that's a bit creepy. Then I go to turn around and "holy shit" was all that I could think as I caught a black figure at the edge of the screen saying in a wierd voice 'Is anybody there...'
Because I had my finger on the melee key (I'd been hitting the damned grenade key insted all night and wasn't about to have that happen again) ready for some ganking, I quickly meleed it mid-startle and once I realised what it was I turned around in my computer chair. And for a brief second I considered just turning off the game and calling it a night.

I just thought I'd share this uncommenly wonderful moment with you all. And see if any of you had some similar experiences.

Copper

Lurker
Reputation score
Re: Truly scary moments in gaming

Hmm. This might warrant a shuffle into the "Gaming Discussion Thread" rather than it's own, but suppose that's up to the mods. I'll be happy to continue with my own story once things get settled.

OP
super_slicer

super_slicer

Lord High Inquisitor
Staff member
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Oh, lol, didn't even see that thread, sorry.

Twisted

Mega Ultimate Jungle Girl 2000 Redux Z
Reputation score

The entirety of Silent Hill 3, for me. It was my introduction to the series and I now am quite literally scared shitless about being in a dark room with a single light. Even night-lights do the trick

Pitch black, I'm fine, multiple lights I'm fine, but one single light to go by and I'm a wreck

Alias

Lurker
Reputation score

Darmy647

Lurker
Reputation score

Silent Hill 2 And the 2 Red pyramids. God dammit i still have nightmares over that game!!

wazzup

Evard's Tentacles of Forced Intrusion
Reputation score

i watched this video so many times with and without my friends. we can't help laughing at the player's torment. But you gotta admit, to make someone cry like a baby through a video game is a hard feat to do.

Nunu

Despot
Former Admin
Reputation score

Hmm. This might warrant a shuffle into the "Gaming Discussion Thread" rather than it's own, but suppose that's up to the mods. I'll be happy to continue with my own story once things get settled.
given i'll soon be starting my honours in an area steeped in survival horror, i'll allow it.

Rain

Lurker
Reputation score

Fatal Frame... Ropes... Nuff said...

Ohh, and Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem.
Would you like to delete all save files?
*Clicks No*
Deleting all save files.
*cries*

OP
super_slicer

super_slicer

Lord High Inquisitor
Staff member
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

I dunno, that was kinda startling, but I kinda get the feeling he was playing alot of it up. Though I haven't played that particular game before.

I'm really not attracted to survival horror games where you're not allowed to defend yourself in any way. I just get frustrated, thinking "why can't I attach this drill-bit to the end of one of these shelf legs and give myself a spear?" Or "I've got oil, rags, and sticks, why can't I make a torch? (to hit things with, trust me, getting hit in the face with a torch is not fun)". I guess what really kills it for me is there isn't a situation where I would be un-able to cobble together some kind of weapon.

That said, I imagine that survival horror is alot more horrific without a 10 gauge.

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

The original F.E.A.R. for me had some good moments. I think it was the alternation between balls to the wall fire fights, punctuated by the horror elements that made it creepy. The second entry in the franchise had some creepy moments, but the first still wins out.

Alma and Paxton Fetel were rather creepy in the first game. The use of shadows (some moving), voices, silence, and lighting all worked to make an excellent atmosphere. There were some jump moments... but it was the atmosphere.

Silent Hill 2 was also damn good for that as well. And there was another old game that creeped me out when I played it... similar style to Resident Evil gameplay wise... Nocturna or something like that.

Luppikun

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Any Silent Hill game. (Well, the first 3.)

That DAMN greenhouse in Resident Evil. When the dogs jump through the glass, it makes me jump. EVERY. DAMN. TIME.

Twisted

Mega Ultimate Jungle Girl 2000 Redux Z
Reputation score

I dunno, that was kinda startling, but I kinda get the feeling he was playing alot of it up. Though I haven't played that particular game before.

I'm really not attracted to survival horror games where you're not allowed to defend yourself in any way. I just get frustrated, thinking "why can't I attach this drill-bit to the end of one of these shelf legs and give myself a spear?" Or "I've got oil, rags, and sticks, why can't I make a torch? (to hit things with, trust me, getting hit in the face with a torch is not fun)". I guess what really kills it for me is there isn't a situation where I would be un-able to cobble together some kind of weapon.

That said, I imagine that survival horror is alot more horrific without a 10 gauge.
Thing with Amnesia is that you don't play it to win, you pay it for atmosphere and ambiance. If you're not playing it alone, at night, in a pitch dark room with headphones on you're playing it wrong.

Hentaispider

Lord of the Tap Dance \oO.Oo/ (And Reputation Mana
Staff member
Administrator
Reputation score

The haunted hotel from VtM:Bloodlines is pretty damn scary, at least the first time you play.

Copper

Lurker
Reputation score

given i'll soon be starting my honours in an area steeped in survival horror, i'll allow it.
Best of luck to you in that endeavor, Nu. You're a braver gamer than I.

Fatal Frame... Ropes... Nuff said...

Ohh, and Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem.
Would you like to delete all save files?
*Clicks No*
Deleting all save files.
*cries*
Gotta love games that break the 4th wall...

The haunted hotel from VtM:Bloodlines is pretty damn scary, at least the first time you play.
Thump thump thump Oshitthere'ssomethinginthewasher...

Now for my own scary moments in gaming...let's see. The DEMO of Silent Hill: The Room (Number uncertain, y'all can feel free to correct me.) I'd read the walkthrough of the game before I actually tried it and I was so keyed up just to be playing a Silent Hill game that I took three steps, there was a scream, and I bolted off my couch and reset my PS2.

Going back further than that...Echo Night, for the PSOne. First person puzzle solver sorta action game that takes place on a ghost ship. Your enemy is a little girl ghost that has blonde hair, wears a pink dress, and pretty much HAS NO FACE save those typical SOULLESS EYES that you find in masks. Closest thing I can think to compare it to is Vega's mask from Street Fighter. Now, being a ghost, she hates when the lights are on, so you try your damndest to get to the light switch in any room/hall/corridor that you come across. Except when the wires are fried -_- So, I'm watching my friend play and he walks into the bridge and back then, they had "door opening" animations and we go through the animation and FILLING THE SCREEN is the ghost's face and we hear the little "TEE HEE HEE" that she lets out. I scream and he bolts his character out of the room because, well, she'll fuck you up if she catches you.

Even further than that, Dino Crisis. Freaking T-Rex bursting it's head into the room that you're exploring. Or the raptors busting through the window. Or just passing by the window when there's a lightning flash and seeing that reptilian eye glaring at you through the glass...

And even further than that...7th Guest. "Old man Stauff had a house and filled it with his toys..." You play the "7th Guest" that shows up at what is effectively a haunted house and you have to figure out all these puzzles to see scenes about what happens to the other six guests (who are all DEAD, btw.) The house was built by the toymaker, Stauff, who, whenever a child invariably wound up with one of his dolls, they all *died*, wasting away and clutching at their dolls... I'm...12, maybe. It's ten or eleven at night (haha 11th hour was the sequel...anyway...), I'm sitting in the computer room, my back's to the door, my parents are visiting with my uncle, so they're off in the kitchen, so it's QUIET. I'm running around in this game and I finally make it to the upstairs. "Playroom" or something like that. So I go in. And it's a room filled with these Victorian style babydolls. And then you hear the cacophany of "Mommy?" "Dad?" "Mommy, I'm scared!" "Where are you? Where are you?" "It's dark! I'm scared!" I shut the computer down, bolted out of the room, and ever after that only played "Day of the Tentacle" (The sequel to Maniac Mansion, before ya go there, ya pervs!)

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Yes it is. The first time was downright chilling. The second time I knew what to expect so it wasn't so bad. But the first time... yeah they did a good job there.

Ryeden

Lurker
Reputation score

Although most modern games have their share ways of trying to scare you (either if it was their intent of not) I felt it was more of what you said "Higher difficulty and lack of ammo" that most modern games now try to put the "scare tactic" in it. (Example: Dead space 1 or 2, I'm sorry Issac but your dead girlfriend isn't really that scary) However, they are some exceptions though to some modern games that I felt that no matter how much ammo you have; without a good team and sharp eyes you'll be saying "OH SH*T, WHERE HE COME FROM?"...(example: survival mode in Left 4 Dead...going against 2 - 3 Tanks... Oh yeah you know what I mean)

I do missed the spook factor though (Resident Evil 3, the Nemesis busting thru the wall or just casually opening a door while having a Rocket launcher. [For Pete's Sake!!!] or RE Outbreak: Zombie's grabbing you thru the window while having low health...) They are some modern games that have some but it seems like it's not enough.

Currently playing Fatal Frame 4 on my Wii so I'll see how that works out but judging from what Ive played it's nothing I haven't seen before.

Btw Copper, it's Silent Hill 4: The Room

Incubus

Horn Dog
Reputation score

In brothers in arms, highway to hell, the whole game to an extent as the main character is going through combat fatigue and guilt, but there is a section going through an abandoned hospital which lays on the horror aspects pretty heavy, you're low on ammo and being stalked by the ghost of a dead comrade who you feel responsible for the, lets face it, basically suicide of. It got pretty heavy.

The fact that one knows ghosts aren't real heightened it really, there's nothing you can do to protect yourself from the haunting.

wazzup

Evard's Tentacles of Forced Intrusion
Reputation score

The original F.E.A.R. for me had some good moments. I think it was the alternation between balls to the wall fire fights, punctuated by the horror elements that made it creepy. The second entry in the franchise had some creepy moments, but the first still wins out.

Alma and Paxton Fetel were rather creepy in the first game. The use of shadows (some moving), voices, silence, and lighting all worked to make an excellent atmosphere. There were some jump moments... but it was the atmosphere.

Silent Hill 2 was also damn good for that as well. And there was another old game that creeped me out when I played it... similar style to Resident Evil gameplay wise... Nocturna or something like that.
you should try some of the F.E.A.R. DLC. I thought perseus mandate was way scarier than the original.

lurker

Hentai Master
Reputation score

I'm rather tame when it comes to gaming, allthough when something jumps out of nowhere in a game I tend to jump/bulletspam/yelp. Especially in Minecraft, where that freakin cave vibes track can scare the crap outta ye even with nothing nearby.