What's new

Disgraced Paladin Updated 10/29/11

NorthernCross

Evard's Tentacles of Forced Intrusion
Reputation score
Hello! Here follows a proof of concept for my game "Disgraced Paladin"

Brief Story Summary:

Isabella is a young Paladin who was discharged from the Order of the Untarnished Rose. Assigned to protect a Princess during a trip around the Kingdom they were captured by a group of cultists with dark designs on the two. In order to protect the Princess' purity, Isabella offered herself up to their dark desires until she was able to free herself and rescue the Princess.

While she was commended for her actions, the Order was forced to discharge her according to their strictures regarding virginity. This also prevented her from continuing work as the Princess' body guard as the laws of the kingdom require an Order recognized Paladin for the job.

Turning down offers of high ranking offices in the kingdom, Isabella sets out on a journey to find her true path in life.

Notes:

~Currently there are five chapters planned for this game with a possible additional two if I think it's plausible.
~Just one town is available at the moment.

Placing the blame:

I would like to thank the creators of Elysium (Rise of the Dark King), Despair Labyrinth and Harem without which I wouldn't have gotten the idea to try this.

This game requires the RPG Maker VX RTP which can be downloaded here ->

My game can then be downloaded here ->
note: this is a quick bug fix to address the bandit scene problem
Update: 10/29/11

Notes:

~Expanded Castle Town
~Adjusted the sizes of building interiors
~New Area Everwoden Forest/First Combat Area
~1st instance of GOR and accompanying H-scenes

Things I need help with:

~Have I balanced the combat well? I think I've gotten a good balance but I need an outside perspective.
~While I have implemented a GOR scene with a premade battle I'm trying to find a way to do the same with the random ones. It seems kind clunky to include them in the battle events.

Last edited:

FinalDrake

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score
Re: Disgraced Paladin

Hey there Cross,

frankly i've played it and there really isn't that much to go on right now.
No battle system to Critique. No artwork but i know you're working on that.
There are only two choices so far, and only a total of 8 Area's to explore.
Story gets my attention so far though which is good.
You've got a long way to go.
Elysium, Harem, and Labyrinth are all months if not a year into development and they got a long way to go.
You have a decent start with the story but be prepared to spend much time on this.

OP
NorthernCross

NorthernCross

Reputation score
Re: Disgraced Paladin

Ah, thanks for your reply. Artwork (or rather GOOD artwork) is still going to take a bit while I play with this 3d modeling software I got but I'm currently working on the first area to feature combat. I'm glad you like the story so far as it's the one thing I truly feel confident in right now.

Evachan84

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
Re: Disgraced Paladin Updated 10/29/11

I find your ideas and the story concept intriguing and gave your demo a shot:

(Yeah I know this is basically the very first iteration of an alpha build)

Silly, errant thoughts -

-Flame shield is misspelled as Frame Shield

-Town layout is a bit stiff, not sure how you are going to handle towns, whether it be fluffy and extravagant or the Shop/Quest/Inn sort, so can't really say anything other than that yet.

Not so silly -

-Can't equip accessories
-The ability to execute or spare the bandits is a pretty neat concept, I'm assuming you're going to tie this in with something else later? Also would be nice to have other 'options' depending on how er, degenerate she's become.
-The GOR scene with the ambush doesn't work for me, if the protagonist is equipped with the gear the king has handed to her, they comment on the gold she has and how they can't fence or use the stuff and the game goes to black (can access status menu, and little else). If she doesn't have the royal gear equipped then its just stuff regarding the gold then it just goes to black.
-Combat seems fine so far, you'll probably want to expand it later on with skills and such and with enemies that use skills and status of their own. It really depends on how deep you want the combat to be, and if you want to tie it to the H aspects of the game (status effects, H 'combat', ability to avoid combat altogether in lieu of 'other' activities, etc)

All in all, good luck and pace yourself! Looking forward to future releases. And if you get bored or tired of this and want to abandon the project, please please please, release it for the rest of us to work on. I really do like the story concept.

xgkf

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Agreed. Not much content to comment on yet, but the concept is nice, and I look forward to more.

I haven't played the (10/29/11) update yet, but I'm glad to read that you fixed the interior room sizes and have expanded things a bit. It was a bit annoying to have to cover so much empty ground inside those buildings.

OP
NorthernCross

NorthernCross

Reputation score

I'm currently working on a bug fix... I really should simplify the code I have there. I think I may have accidentally broken it when I started working on a new area that had ties to that event.

Although with the 'Frame' shield bit, that actually seems to be the default... strange. I don't recall fiddling with that at all.

I suppose I shouldn't have rushed that last release but I gave my word on another forum that I'd have something ready by that weekend.

Edit: Additionally, yes I'm going to be doing things with post combat scenarios. Expect more and more options that depend on Isabella's moral alignment...

Mainly because one of my favorite scenarios is corruption and how a character responds to such.

Last edited:

UrineOnU

Cthulhu
Reputation score

Did you figure out how to make random battle gor work? For some reason i put conditions for 0 hp, variables, and tried common events but the game over triggers regardless and not returning to the map screen even when i trigger abort battle.

So i started butchering the game over stuff in the scripts, then i got to scene_ battle and realized that all i need to do is change one line of script, so that instead of game over it returns to map and Isabella is incapacitated.

So at the start of the battle(turn 0) you can trigger an event(make sure if you have more random battles that you disable their gor event while triggering its own) that is in parallel process(not auto run it will bring the game to a halt if you are still alive after the battle) that has an condition if Isabella is incapacitated, then underneath it you play out the gor or just a game over when the battle is over( you need it now because no game over is resulted when you lose in random battles now).

The event triggered can be placed anywhere on the map in parallel process.

anyways here is what the section of the script looks like

#--------------------------------------------------------------------------
# * Determine Win/Loss Results
#--------------------------------------------------------------------------

def judge_win_loss
if $game_temp.in_battle
if $game_party.all_dead?
call_map <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<here
return true
elsif $game_troop.all_dead?
process_victory
return true
else
return false
end
else
return true
end
end

These are lines 174 to 191 in the scene_battle script, basically just change process_defeat to call_map
at line 180.

All in all it works great for 1 character games you may have trouble with multiple ones but it can be fixed with more conditions. Like if Isabella is incapacitated
and the other party member is still alive, not to trigger the gor( you can also add that she recovers 1 hp so that she doesn't need a revive).

Hope this helps and if you found another way I'd like to know how because I've given up trying other methods.

Last edited:

soulles

Reputation score

I was wondering, I downloaded this game yesterday, I played it, and wel I beat the bandits, but the forest is the only part after the town, right??

so I cant go anywhere.... the 3 bandits, that are supposed to rape you I guess, they just run away after I kill one or I have all of them a certain amount of damage, also they seem to miss me after a certain amount of damage is done, and then they also flee....

is this supposed to happen, and if so, what do I do next?? xD

Oh another sidenote:
- the text is out of bounds, I mean with this, the text doesnt fit in the text parts, wich makes it hard to understand the story at some parts... I got most I think, but I think this needs a small fix, to make them fit the text balloon things... ;)

OP
NorthernCross

NorthernCross

Reputation score

@soulles

Yes, the forest is currently the last area available but there's a bug with the three bandit battle that's causing their scene to not deploy properly.

Additionally, can you point out a specific point where my text goes out of bounds? I thought I'd caught all instances of that.

@UrineonU

I'll have to try working with this script. Currently I do have a multi character plan with the first party member being worked on right now so I may have to mess with it to get it to work.

soulles

Reputation score

sure, wil try and recap on all the text I found that where out of bound, but have to go back and start from the beginning on the game to find all of them for you... might take a while... ;)

should I add the text here, or you just need to know what part or with whome the text was??
- adding the entire text might take longer, but wil prolly be easier for you...
- just the scenes, might be harder to figure out for you, but would be easier for me to check back on... :p

let me know wich you preffer.... I dont mind either... I have some time to spare anyways.... (today that is... might not have that tomorrow... :p)

OP
NorthernCross

NorthernCross

Reputation score

Just listing the scenes involved will narrow it down is enough for me.

Takimaru

Tentacle God
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Glad I could cause... some kind of influence, one way or another? Heh. Despair Labyrinth was influenced in turn by Harem, Elysium and RQ as well, so the cycle goes on...

Anyhow, great start to the game. The premise is good, the H-scenes are well-written, and it definitely has an immersive feel to it by the way that you portray things.

One suggestion that you can take with a grain of salt is that you can implement H-scenes, or perhaps the larger chunks of them as Common Events (and simply use the Call Common Event command to run them in place of all the text), which would make it easier to access them from a 'memory' mode in the future as well as de-clutter your scripts to avoid confusion.

Anyway, keep up the great work.

OP
NorthernCross

NorthernCross

Reputation score

Glad I could cause... some kind of influence, one way or another? Heh. Despair Labyrinth was influenced in turn by Harem, Elysium and RQ as well, so the cycle goes on...

Anyhow, great start to the game. The premise is good, the H-scenes are well-written, and it definitely has an immersive feel to it by the way that you portray things.

One suggestion that you can take with a grain of salt is that you can implement H-scenes, or perhaps the larger chunks of them as Common Events (and simply use the Call Common Event command to run them in place of all the text), which would make it easier to access them from a 'memory' mode in the future as well as de-clutter your scripts to avoid confusion.

Anyway, keep up the great work.
Ah, thank you for the comment.

But do you mind me asking if you could explain a bit about common events? Or point me to a tutorial on them? I tried searching the VX forums but only got a bunch of scripts that use them. I'm not sure of the best way to use them.

And now I've got a weird mental image... our games are like the Great Circle of GOR. It goes on and on...

Takimaru

Tentacle God
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Hrrm... Not exactly VX, but here's a solid tutorial:

Basically, by going to Tools, Database, then the Common Events tab, you can fit lots of text or whatever things you need to run that might be too big or bulky to fit in regular events otherwise. For for example, in your game, the bandit rape scene; instead of trying to fit that all in one tab of the regular Event, you can put all that text into say... Common Event 001. Name it 'Bandit GOR Scene 1' or whatever you want to call it. Then, cut and paste all your text into the body (the big box to the right) of that Common Event.

Afterwards, just go back to the main event and under the Battle Processing branch, where you get 'If Lose', just go 'Call Common Event' under Flow Control, then choose 001: Bandit GOR Scene 1' and it'll run that event from there.

Provided you're on the right map when you're coding switches, triggers and what not, you can even make Common Events set move routes, move character sprites around and do many things that you can normally do with a regular Event, so they are typically ideal for cutscenes and H-scenes.

OP
NorthernCross

NorthernCross

Reputation score

Hm... that sounds useful. And will probably cut down on some of my event page sizes too.

UrineOnU

Cthulhu
Reputation score

@UrineonU

I'll have to try working with this script. Currently I do have a multi character plan with the first party member being worked on right now so I may have to mess with it to get it to work.
OK so i made an example just in case you are still having trouble getting this to work. I have added a second party member and it works i tested with the other member dead. other alive.. I'll have to look to see if their is a script out there that changes the priority of a 0hp condition in battle instead of resulting in a game over because having to do this is bullshit.

Ignore the gate keeper stuff i was bored....

oh yea battles are in the flower patch

Attachments

OP
NorthernCross

NorthernCross

Reputation score

Hey, thanks for the file! I think I've found another way of doing it but I'll keep your workaround in mind.

ker

Mystic Girl
Reputation score

I bit of info on common events, as their useful in many ways.

They are useful in removing blocks of text from existing events. Ie in Harem there are many scenes that are triggered by talking to your women at home. In event terms when you talk to the character it calls a common event called '[x] progression'. That in term looks for several statuses (If certain variables/switches are right) it then checks to see if a skill is learned. If not, it then calls another common event that is a H scene where the character learns a new skill. If the character has already learned the skill (ie the H scene has already been played) then it calls another common event that '[x] talk'. [x] talk checks for another set of conditions. If met it will give a quest dialog. If those conditions haven't been met or the quest has already been done, it puts out filler dialogue.

Organizing all that into a single event with 10+ text blocks per scene would be nearly impossible. It gets so complicated that keeping it all right fails. So using common events lets me see the entire logical structure in a single go and makes it dramatically easier to debug.

Also common events can be used as watchover events, keeping an eye for certain criteria no matter where the player is. You can set a conditional switch to start the event running in the background and then act when more conditions are met. Ex: In Harem, you rape Noemi in the jail and at some point later she escapes and meets you later in your fortress. I did that by making the rape flip a switch [Noemi rape]. Once that's been triggered I have a conditional branch in the common event waiting for the player to clear the first set of tentacle caves. When both of those switches are on, it throws a third switch [Noemi escapes] and turns off the [Noemi rape] switch. So the common event stops running, and the [Noemi escapes] switch turns off her sprite in jail and activates a new event back in your fortress. Just be VERY careful using them in this way. If the event is coded wrong, it'll cause a loop in the game where it's continously doing something, locking out the player.

It can also be used for combat skills more complicated then what the base combat system allows for. You can have skills call common events and conditions in the troop screen call them as well, allowing for much more complicated conditions on events happening, rather than just at win/loss.

Final usage is for an event that can happen repeatedly in different locations. I don't use exp in Harem, rather leveling is done by a common event call. Whenever I decide the player should of gained a level, it calls a common event that levels all the characters.

OP
NorthernCross

NorthernCross

Reputation score

I think I've got it. So I can make a Common Event that's set to a specific variable or switch and it'll run regardless of what map is active?

And that last bit about repeatable events... it gives me an idea.

ker

Mystic Girl
Reputation score

I think I've got it. So I can make a Common Event that's set to a specific variable or switch and it'll run regardless of what map is active?

And that last bit about repeatable events... it gives me an idea.
Switches only