Amarant: Noble's Path

Diagasvesle

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score
Re: Amarant: Noble's Path

Yep, tentacles. As expected. Anyway, votes:

Repair dress: No, not yet
After thinking about it for a bit Jane decided that repairing Maria's dress could wait. After all, there was no telling when it would get ripped again. It would be a waste of a cantrip to repair the dress now only to have it get damaged again a few minutes later, and Maria still had her bra so it wasn't like her breasts were out in the open even if there was anyone else to see them. Besides, the sight of Maria's ripped dress could potentially serve as a distraction for enemies if they were to encounter any other humanoids. Yes, that was all. It definitely wasn't because a part of Jane was enjoying the view. No, most definitely not. ...Hopefully the moss’ purple light would keep Maria from noticing the slight blush that had appeared on Jane’s cheeks while thinking about it.

Other: First examine the area where they are now and make sure there are no other potential threats they have overlooked, or any other paths that have remained hidden from their view. Next, search for footprints like the ones they found at the entrance to this path and see if they can figure out what happened to that person. Last, but not least, examine the moss again and see if they can learn anything more about it now that they have been near it for a while.

If none of these actions produce results have Jane and Maria pull back as much as they can without getting too close to any of the tentacles they left behind, and then have Jane cast a Fireball on the nearest flower. See how it reacts, and then decide on a course of action.

If they end up crawling on the ground they try to hold their breaths and not inhale any of the moss. As a precaution they also cover their mouths and noses with some cloth, just in case
Yes.

omegau

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

After thinking about it for a bit Jane decided that repairing Maria's dress could wait. After all, there was no telling when it would get ripped again. It would be a waste of a cantrip to repair the dress now only to have it get damaged again a few minutes later, and Maria still had her bra so it wasn't like her breasts were out in the open even if there was anyone else to see them. Besides, the sight of Maria's ripped dress could potentially serve as a distraction for enemies if they were to encounter any other humanoids. Yes, that was all. It definitely wasn't because a part of Jane was enjoying the view. No, most definitely not. ...Hopefully the moss’ purple light would keep Maria from noticing the slight blush that had appeared on Jane’s cheeks while thinking about it.

Other: First examine the area where they are now and make sure there are no other potential threats they have overlooked, or any other paths that have remained hidden from their view. Next, search for footprints like the ones they found at the entrance to this path and see if they can figure out what happened to that person. Last, but not least, examine the moss again and see if they can learn anything more about it now that they have been near it for a while.

If none of these actions produce results have Jane and Maria pull back as much as they can without getting too close to any of the tentacles they left behind, and then have Jane cast a Fireball on the nearest flower. See how it reacts, and then decide on a course of action.

If they end up crawling on the ground they try to hold their breaths and not inhale any of the moss. As a precaution they also cover their mouths and noses with some cloth, just in case
Yeah, sure, this. As much as I enjoy my tentacles, it's no fun to intentionally screw up just for a scene.

Denmu

Demon Girl
Reputation score

This seems like the most logical choice. Unless these flowers have some kind of flame-retardant ability, I think a fireball should make quick work of them. Assuming that this works, I'd say that overall, we're having a pretty easy time so far. Let's just hope it doesn't get too much worse.

1Cyka

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

Im going to say B as im hesitant about what might happen with the fireball. If the flames spread to the moss it may destroy it but if it gets out of hand then they are in a tunnelwhile its on fire. Smoke and fire could be big problem in area where everything is flammable.

tomaito89

Sex Demon
Reputation score

Im going to say B as im hesitant about what might happen with the fireball. If the flames spread to the moss it may destroy it but if it gets out of hand then they are in a tunnelwhile its on fire. Smoke and fire could be big problem in area where everything is flammable.
Agreed. Fire in an enclosed space could be fatal.

That being said, I suppose that repairing the dress can wait...

As for what to do... Have Maria cast... wait for it... not one but two! Two barriers! One below the tendrils and another above the moss so we can crawl through without touching them or inhaling the dust. Then, once on the other side, chug a mana potion for good measure.

And that thing about checking for footprints or whatever sounds cool, too.

I'll be damned if one of my hare-brained schemes doesn't work out eventually.

moonblack

Evard's Tentacles of Forced Intrusion
Reputation score

They should check if the moss is flammable as part of examining the moss again. And if it turns out to be flammable... well, that gives me a couple of new ideas what to do, but let's not rush things.

I doubt Maria can support two barriers, but if she can surround herself and Jane with a single barrier and then make said barrier move along with them... that might work, should they choose to crawl.

Gear47demon

Tentacle God
Reputation score

I will be seconding Moonblack's choice, however, I would like to add that Jane should test the tentacles. Try to search for a nearby tentacle that is furthest away from the mass and have Jane stick her free hand out at it. When it starts to wrap around and inevitably tug at her hand and arm, pull back to test the resistance. If she can't wrench her limb free then cut it free with a dagger, and if it starts pulling too quickly and with more force than Jane can combat against, then fireball the area.

nightshade99

Reputation score

No, she need focus on the present issue.
B.

omegau

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

Can we amend our votes? If so, I would like to stick with what I already voted for, with the addition of not using fire. If those things are flamable, it'll probably spread fairly quickly. Even if that doesn't kill the girls, it will most certainly attract attention. One does not outrun a spreading flame.

OP
Cevrik777

Cevrik777

Sex Demon
Reputation score

Can we amend our votes? If so, I would like to stick with what I already voted for, with the addition of not using fire. If those things are flamable, it'll probably spread fairly quickly. Even if that doesn't kill the girls, it will most certainly attract attention. One does not outrun a spreading flame.
Of course - I'll be (officially) updating tomorrow night in an effort to allow more discussion and everybody else a chance to get their vote in or edit it to something they like.

First examine the area where they are now and make sure there are no other potential threats they have overlooked, or any other paths that have remained hidden from their view. Next, search for footprints like the ones they found at the entrance to this path and see if they can figure out what happened to that person. Last, but not least, examine the moss again and see if they can learn anything more about it now that they have been near it for a while.

---

Jane wanted to take a few precautions before they committed to any course of action:

She thought about what other threats they may have missed or if any enemies were lurking here as well. The tunnel was entirely linear, so if there was someone here they must have wandered out after having wondered in or made their way past this cluster. Also, the thought of other passages had crossed her mind, but the tunnel seemed to be entirely singular in its direction. If there were any other paths they must be hidden by some magic or completely concealed from view by some other means.

Jane looked up at the cluster of plants, wondering if she would be able to clear them somehow. She held up her dagger but quickly thought of another idea.

“Maria. These plants… do you think I could simply use a fireball to clear them?”

Maria looked about the plants, considering Jane’s solution.

“Well, I certainly don’t see why they wouldn't burn… but…”

She ran her fingers along the moss that was on the wall, examining it once again. It was dry, the tiny bits of vegetation falling apart like sawdust as it wafted up from her fingertips.

"I am a bit concerned about what would happen were the fire to spread: It very may well kill these plants, but if it were to catch the moss this would probably create quite a bit of smoke and force us to either push through this cluster or retreat back the way we came.”

She brought the pink, powered moss up to her nose before giving it a small whiff. She recoiled for a second, apparently inhaling a bit more than she would have liked.

“Hm. It smells… sweet, almost like a fruit of some sort. Whatever its effects, I still am not sure however, but I don’t think it’s poisonous, as it seems different from any other poisonous plants I've encountered before...”

Jane took this into consideration, still wondering if she should use a Fireball spell or not. For now, she would see just how strong one of these tendrils really were…

“Here, I’m going to test something…” Jane told Maria walking back a bit to one of the isolated vines behind them.

“Be ready to pull me back just in case…” she continued, to which Maria replied with a firm nod.

Jane hesitantly reached out her left hand to one of the tendrils, holding her dagger in her other hand, ready to cut it if she couldn’t pull herself free. She brought her finger closer to it before giving it a like poke. Immediately the vine wriggled to life, snagging her arm and coiling down her arm in an instant. Jane was shocked at its speed, the tip making its way to her elbow in almost a second. She noticed how it seemed to excrete some sort of fluid as it sprang to life, making it easy for the muscle to travel down her arm. Even so, it continued to make its way to her shoulder even as she pulled - a futile effort even with Maria’s help, as the strength of the muscular vine still held her arm firmly in place. The tip flicked back and forth as it continued towards her face, as though it were searching for something on its prey. She wasted little time, bringing her dagger up to sever the tentacle.

A quick slash with her blade and the tendril fell limp, the length around her arm no longer connected to the flower above, the wounded plant oozing a white sap of some sort as it flailed above them. Still, the isolated part clung to her arm, the slippery residue now acting as a sort of adhesive as she tried to remove it. With Maria's help, she was finally able to strip herself free of its grip, the tendril still maintaining a degree control even after it was “killed”. Jane couldn’t help but give a slightly disgusted look as the sleeve to her blouse was now coated with a thick, glossy fluid – she had wished she brought an extra shirt with her.

“Well, at least we know that much now…” Maria said, turning back to the cluster of flowers ahead of them. “Anything useful?”

Jane had been thinking of something, but she wasn’t sure if it would work as well as she was hoping:

“Actually, what exactly can you do with your barrier spell? I was considering using that to perhaps push the tendrils out of the way or otherwise allow us to pass by somehow, but I don’t exactly know the limits of the spell. Such as: are you able to produce two barriers? And can you move one once you cast it?”

Maria looked to Jane and then back up at the cluster, her eye slowly trailing down as she thought up an answer.

“Well… I can only focus on keeping one up at a time, and even then… moving with it may require quite a bit of effort. I’d only be able to produce a very small barrier - perhaps a foot or two wide -if I planned to do so, as this particular spell is of a larger, more static variety. I haven’t exactly… learned how else to cast it…”

She trails off, looking down at her feet with embarrassment as she finished the last part.

With this new information and a bit of insight to how the tendrils behave, Jane thought what may be the best way of going about this. Jane looked over the cluster of tendrils once again, trying to peer past the mass of vines that seemed to go on forever.

Voting:
Primary Vote: How do Jane and Maria get by the tendrils? Do they attempt to charge through, crawl beneath them, or take a different course of action?[/ I]

A) The two attempt to charge past the mass of vines: if they’re fast enough they just may be able to get through without the tendrils being too annoying... although now it doesn't seem so likely.
B) Try and crawl beneath the tendrils: It may take a bit, but there’s enough space that they should be able to stay outside of the tendrils' grasp.
C) The two girls attempt to use Maria’s Barrier in some way to push past the tentacles or otherwise, make it safe for them to proceed (Input).
D) Jane casts a Fireball spell at the cluster of plants, hoping to clear them from their path.

X Other/Different course of action

Z) Minor Actions

Fluff/NPC nudge: Small, inconsequential NPC actions: allows voters to give their own little touch to the story descriptions and add their own flavor text.

If I don't get a new vote from someone, I'll default to their previous vote/Edit. If I see they haven't logged in since before this post went up, I'll play it by ear but hesitate incorporating their vote into the tally and decide what to do depending on how the votes number up.

Also, I apologize if this seems like somewhat of a tedious obstacle - as gear said: It's a rock and hard place. Of course, each path had their own variety of said "Rock" and "Hard Place", but as we progress further in things will become a bit more challenging and require some ingenuity to get through relatively unscathed. I say "Relatively" because some situations may be the "lesser of two evils" when first presented.

Also also... as far as Monnblack's plan goes, I will only say that yes, the field would be able to cover the diameter of the tunnel.

Last edited:

BlueSlime

Tentacle God
RP Moderator
Reputation score

I vote for B. If you try to run through a field of tentacles... you're gonna have a bad time. We should try to take our time and sneak through.

Gear47demon

Tentacle God
Reputation score

I am going to officially state that I do not like where this is going... but I refuse to turn around and go back!

C Essentially the same as BlueSlime's but with the barrier cast by Maria active above/around them as they crawl. If any get caught at any point, then fireball the hell out of the place. Dealing with fire and running would be better than the alternative.

Z Since these tentacles react swiftly and precisely to physical stimulus, namely touch, pull hairs back and tie the/get them out of the way and tighten any baggy parts of clothing. Don't want a stray skirt or long hair to get brushed against them, and then set off the tentacle gang-bang extraordinaire.

Edit: What I mean by I don't like where this is going is the situation is pretty much "stuck between a rock and a hard place" :p

Last edited:

omegau

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

If wave of force can be focused into a thin razor, rather than just a pulse, let's try that with X. If not, then B. Do hold your breath as long as you can. That stuff can't be good for you.

moonblack

Reputation score

Is this possible:
Maria uses a barrier to temporarily block the path ahead of them. Then Jane uses Fireball to attack the flowers. Even if the moss starts burning the fire will remain on the other side of the barrier (in fact, if the moss starts burning it might cause the entire path ahead of them to get cleared of the plants).

If possible this would be the best course of action, I think.

If that sort of thing is not possible (due to limitations of the Barrier spell) then +1 for Gear47demon’s plan: Crawl along the ground with a barrier above them covering them as much as possible. If they get caught – fireball the place.

I’ll just add that they should cover their mouths with a cloth or something, and hold their breath – no need to inhale more moss than absolutely necessary.

Also +1 for this:
Z Since these tentacles react swiftly and precisely to physical stimulus, namely touch, pull hairs back and tie the/get them out of the way and tighten any baggy parts of clothing. Don't want a stray skirt or long hair to get brushed against them, and then set off the tentacle gang-bang extraordinaire.

1Cyka

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

Is this possible:
Maria uses a barrier to temporarily block the path ahead of them. Then Jane uses Fireball to attack the flowers. Even if the moss starts burning the fire will remain on the other side of the barrier (in fact, if the moss starts burning it might cause the entire path ahead of them to get cleared of the plants).

If that sort of thing is not possible (due to limitations of the Barrier spell) then +1 for Gear47demon’s plan: Crawl along the ground with a barrier above them covering them as much as possible. If they get caught – fireball the place.

I’ll just add that they should cover their mouths with a cloth or something, and hold their breath – no need to inhale more moss than absolutely necessary.

Also +1 for this:
I like this. Jane fireballs. Maria cuts off tunnel and let's everything burn. As long as the effects of moss dont carry to smoke everything is fine. It would be like lighting any other drug plant on fire. Or Hopefully im not giving ideas to writer. Still think its the best option.

nightshade99

Reputation score

B. Fireball will make to much noise.

Denmu

Demon Girl
Reputation score

Is this possible:

Also +1 for this:
Seems fine to me.