What's new

[Unity] Dark Maze

Rayearth

Lurker
Reputation score
A while ago I was writing to an H-game developer, giving suggestions on what game mechanics that I would like to see in his upcoming action game. He seemed receptive to my words but whether this would lead to something actually in his game will remain unknown for the near future.

Nevertheless, this act led to something else: since I had described what I would like to see included in his game and could now only wait, why not pass the time by making my own game that revolved around my favored situations and game mechanics?

So I did.

Dark Maze
Genre: Action
Platform: Unity

(Four screenshots, log in to view)

Description

Dark Maze is a proof of concept project that draws heavily from the Deviant Devices mod in Skyrim as well as Dungeons and Prisoners. It is a 3D action game that involves navigating your character through a series of maze-like levels. The twist is that the character can become blindfolded for most or all of a level, so walls and other objects cannot be seen unless very close to your character's body, somewhat simulating the sense of touch in locating things in game.

The player can click and drag to stick out either of the character's feet in order to carefully probe her surroundings. While using basic movement may be sufficient to navigate the level sometimes, for other times this action is the only way to find important objects like a button on the wall, or perhaps to avoid running into traps.

A simple click on the ground or an enemy unit in front of the character will cause her to kick in that direction. The one enemy in the game, a robot hand thing, has the ability to grab either of the character's legs. This prevents movement and using that leg to kick, and opens up the way for other hands to do various H-actions on her. Kicking the grabbing robot hand with the other foot (assuming another hand hasn't also grabbed it) is one way to release the character; spamming the movement keys is another, less effective way.

Along with the standard enemy robot hand that can grab and exhaust the character, some hands can replace the blindfold on her if she manages to take it off. Some of them can also tie up her legs if other hands have both legs grabbed. This alters the character's movement until she can find some way to untie her legs (her arms can never be untied) and has other implications, like making one robot hand able to grab and hold both legs.

Discussion

So, I guess it's pretty obvious what my "favored H-game mechanic" is. Deviant Devices used it the best, which is somewhat amazing given that, of course, Skyrim isn't an H-game. It was also implemented well in the bandit house sequence in Dungeons and Prisoners, which is why I lament for how DnP is stuck in developer hell. Other HRPGs like Evil Goddess, Sneak in Desperada and Asagi also have bondage not just in a game-over scene but also as a combat-effecting status. DiDRPG2 had the character's arms tied up for the entire game as well.

The character mesh that I used come from an Illusion game, exported into a Maya (LT 2016) readable format using Alamar's and enimaroah's SB3Utility. Thus, trying to commercially release this game is out of the question. But even without using an Illusion model I only really intend for this to be not much more than a proof of concept - a tech demo for Unity as well as Final IK, the Unity framework that allows for dynamic placement and grabbing of the character's limbs. I program for a living so having a fun hobby project already rewards me in the doing. If this game inspires other developers to create and incorporate similar material, then it will have achieved all that I could hope it would.

Also I have no artistic skills so this project is also a challenge in how much of a game I can make with the minimal amount of art asset creation.

Current Status and Issues

Mapped out the basic structure of the character animation state diagram - what I currently have is four main states depending on if the character is standing or on the floor, and if her legs are tied. Hopefully this structure will scale when adding more action and reaction animations in the future. "Tickle" is in as you can see in the above screenshot but later there might be an "ice cube", "shocking prod" or "candle wax" attack which can possibly be handled with a single "flinch" animation. That would be efficient...

I'm starting to fear that the gameplay is incredibly difficult with the blindfold on the character, especially once I add more important items (buttons, switches, keys) to the game. Perhaps I should put in audio cues for these items and for enemies that vary in volume relative to distance?

Finally, what gameplay use should the vibrators have? They already can cause stamina/HP loss via max arousal climax but what should trigger them? An enemy or a trap, or perhaps the player for a good reason?

Last edited:

kvier

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score
Re: [Unity] Dark Maze

For whatever reason, your attached pictures didn't stay attached? I have no idea why.

OP
R

Rayearth

Lurker
Reputation score

For whatever reason, your attached pictures didn't stay attached? I have no idea why.
Okay, I think I see what happened. I had uploaded the four screenshots to an album on my forum account and directly embedded them into the post. I think that you have to be logged in to see the screenshots.

kvier

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

Those are nice. (Graphically they're nothing special, but thematically it's a personal favorite)

I like the game idea.

It's probably bad for gameplay, but one possible idea that just randomly came to me is that even while she's blindfolded, she can still remember what she's seen ... but the more aroused/tickled/whatever she is the more she forgets?

Another possibility is that the blindfold just blurs everything, rather than completely blocking vision? Or, if you were ok with a glasses fetish, the hands could be stealing her glasses instead to the same end (she'd have to be really near-sighted). Either way here, buttons could glow.

Or you could just make it switch into an audio game, and use quadraphonics/an HRTF. I'm not certain how that'd handle switching from 3rd-person camera, though.

OP
R

Rayearth

Lurker
Reputation score

Those are nice. (Graphically they're nothing special, but thematically it's a personal favorite)

I like the game idea.
Thanks. Yeah, don't expect much graphics-wise, especially anything that's not the character. I'm completely new to 3D art so I learned from scratch just enough to import an already-rigged character mesh into Maya and to make animations for her. I figured that it would be more worthwhile to focus on making animations and programming the game logic rather than creating or modifying art assets. Hopefully I can make do with creating the other objects in game (traps, enemies, interactive items) with primitive shapes and simple coloring.

Colors, though, I can put in game to reflect the temperature of objects.

It's probably bad for gameplay, but one possible idea that just randomly came to me is that even while she's blindfolded, she can still remember what she's seen ... but the more aroused/tickled/whatever she is the more she forgets?
A good suggestion, and the game already seems hard enough as it is without any way to keep track of earlier movement. I think I'll have the character put down a trail that marks where she has moved. It's better than straight up setting the touched walls to "permanently visible" since I think it would slightly break theme to reveal a huge chunk of wall as soon as she touches a part of it.

Another possibility is that the blindfold just blurs everything, rather than completely blocking vision? Or, if you were ok with a glasses fetish, the hands could be stealing her glasses instead to the same end (she'd have to be really near-sighted). Either way here, buttons could glow.
Deviant Devices in Skyrim went for this approach (everything super blurry and dark but you could still somewhat see into the distance) but it stuck you in first person view. It's not a bad implementation. However, I preferred emphasizing how the character can only navigate by sense of touch (and maybe sound) so allowed normal vision but for an extremely close distance. This is how Dungeons and Prisoners implemented this mechanic - one tile vision with the blindfold on.

johntrine

Mystic Girl
Reputation score

sorry for necro but i gotta know. is this dropped indefinitely?