What's new

ACT [Tsukiware] Fox Fire - Bullet Hell Alpha 2

Ironstrom

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score
Fox Fire is an action packed Bullet Hell title from Tsukiware. It's a spin off of our upcoming visual novel, . Our game was inspired by classic ecchi shooters, Sentinmental Shooting & Soreyuke! BurunyanMan.

In Fox Fire, you play as a fox girl, Kiri. Players will fly through levels, blasting the clothes off of giant girls. Our current demo has a single level featuring Momo, a bunny girl. The final product will have the entire female cast of characters from Tower of Five Hearts. At present, this demo just highlights the gameplay, but we plan to add a story mode in future updates.

We haven't had to much time to develop this game yet but we've already put a fair amount of effort into production. We also have a public trello saying what we're up to and when things are done.

You can download the demo free here
For Windows & Linux
Or you can play it online on Word of warning though the web performance isn't great for everyone. Which we are working on.

Music Samples 2 of the 3 tracks : https://soundcloud.com/seakulaudio%2Fsets%2Ffox-fire-soundtrack

Gameplay Screenshots:

You can also keep up with us on twitter

Last edited by a moderator:

MetalDemon

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
Re: Fox Fire - Bullet Hell Alpha 2

A nice, simple start with some good art. However, there's still a bunch of low-hanging fruit for you to grab as far as making the gameplay better.

-A visual effect for shooting. This can be as simple as a white circle "muzzle flash" for a couple frames.
-Larger player projectiles. Bullets are small in real-life, but it's more satisfying to shoot big ones. They're easier to see too.
-A better, bassier sound effect for shooting. I know the protagonist is a cute girl, but her shot's don't have very much umph.
-Effects (audio and visual) for things taking damage. Make em flash red and play a hit sound effect or something. Damage is heavily tied to your win/loss condition, so you've got to really make sure the player knows when it happens.
-Effects when you rip clothing. It's the big draw of your game, so you gotta sell it hard. Some sort of tearing audio and a particle effect that looks like scraps of fabric of the appropriate color is the baseline.
-A little bit of randomization to your shots. Maybe spawn them with a random offset of +- 10 pixels in the X and Y directions.

All of this stuff sounds really inconsequential, but you'll notice a big difference after you take a day to put it in.

OP
Ironstrom

Ironstrom

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

A nice, simple start with some good art. However, there's still a bunch of low-hanging fruit for you to grab as far as making the gameplay better.

-A visual effect for shooting. This can be as simple as a white circle "muzzle flash" for a couple frames.
-Larger player projectiles. Bullets are small in real-life, but it's more satisfying to shoot big ones. They're easier to see too.
-A better, bassier sound effect for shooting. I know the protagonist is a cute girl, but her shot's don't have very much umph.
-Effects (audio and visual) for things taking damage. Make em flash red and play a hit sound effect or something. Damage is heavily tied to your win/loss condition, so you've got to really make sure the player knows when it happens.
-Effects when you rip clothing. It's the big draw of your game, so you gotta sell it hard. Some sort of tearing audio and a particle effect that looks like scraps of fabric of the appropriate color is the baseline.
-A little bit of randomization to your shots. Maybe spawn them with a random offset of +- 10 pixels in the X and Y directions.

All of this stuff sounds really inconsequential, but you'll notice a big difference after you take a day to put it in.
In terms of player projectiles we've got a set of them for upgradeables that we've prodruced asset wise but not put them into play yet. Though I'l bring up the sizing of the bullet itself also since we did actually upscale the character a while back.
In terms of the sound effects for shooting we'l get around to that soon I had paid our musician to produce some but I'm not actually sure if they sound good once put into the game yet they might sound to space arcady so we'l have to rework that.

In terms of clothing ripping effect since the clothing we've done is piece by piece we can proably do the particle effect and it was actually brought up in our developement plans via our programmer but I guess we forgot it or put it to the side at some point:D we'l get back around to that and I'l inform people if we address that.

I'm not entirely sure about your shot randomization suggestion do you have an example of that anywhere. I can maybe see how it might look visually better though now that I think about it though.

Thanks for the feedback by the way :D

CountMoxi

Demon Girl
Reputation score

The game seems like it's coming along nicely. I especially like the sprite work and music. I've always like the space shooter types more but the life bar makes this much more manageable.

Like mentioned before, I think adding more sound effects to let the player know what's happening (since they are so focused on dodging bullets) would be a big plus. Maybe voice work for the boss when they lose clothing too.

But it's looking good so far. keep up the great work! :D

Selius

Tentacle God
Reputation score

i guess im a normie

bullet hell difficulty is ridiculous. move so slow cant dodge shit

MetalDemon

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

In terms of player projectiles we've got a set of them for upgradeables that we've prodruced asset wise but not put them into play yet.
The baseline needs to get love too. Look up just about any popular shmup and you'll see that even the basic bullets are huge. It's just more satisfying to shoot and I can't fully explain why.

I'm not entirely sure about your shot randomization suggestion do you have an example of that anywhere. I can maybe see how it might look visually better though now that I think about it though.
I found a video of a game that does something like it. In case the timestamp doesn't work for you, look at 2:07. It's kinda hard to see unless the player is staying still.

It's just to add a bit more of an organic feeling and interest to the shooting, which is basically the only way the player gets to interact with the world. The other easy option would be to slightly randomize the shot angle, but I think that would mess with players' aim too much.

I'm basically just trying to point out a bunch of the "small details" that most games in the genre pay attention to because these are the sorts of things that will take your game to the next level.

OP
Ironstrom

Ironstrom

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

The game seems like it's coming along nicely. I especially like the sprite work and music. I've always like the space shooter types more but the life bar makes this much more manageable.

Like mentioned before, I think adding more sound effects to let the player know what's happening (since they are so focused on dodging bullets) would be a big plus. Maybe voice work for the boss when they lose clothing too.

But it's looking good so far. keep up the great work! :D
We're pretty lucky to have the musician that we do and to be able to afford to have quite a few music tracks. I plan to keep this up with atleast 2 tracks per a level. There are even some vocal options there :D.
Though in terms of voice actors I do know 2 VA's that I could work with but It'l probably be something for a little later. But I do see how it could work.

Thanks for the Response :D

i guess im a normie

bullet hell difficulty is ridiculous. move so slow cant dodge shit

Ah yeah normie mode we kinda set out to cater to bullet hell fans or people up for a chanlenge but then putting it on certain sites some people just want the quick fap ending rather then the challenging game play. Your the first person to leave the comment that its to slow not that more people don't think that. Are you used to faster moving bullet hell games or does things just feel slow for your reaction speed ? We've had a few requests for mouse movement and I can maybe see how it might feel slow if we add that.

The baseline needs to get love too. Look up just about any popular shmup and you'll see that even the basic bullets are huge. It's just more satisfying to shoot and I can't fully explain why.

I found a video of a game that does something like it. In case the timestamp doesn't work for you, look at 2:07. It's kinda hard to see unless the player is staying still.

It's just to add a bit more of an organic feeling and interest to the shooting, which is basically the only way the player gets to interact with the world. The other easy option would be to slightly randomize the shot angle, but I think that would mess with players' aim too much.

I'm basically just trying to point out a bunch of the "small details" that most games in the genre pay attention to because these are the sorts of things that will take your game to the next level.
I've watched that video you sent so thanks for that.
In reguards to the bullet you can see their actual size here ;d and the extra ones we have. But are not yet in use. We'l look at what happens with the upscaling that we did for the sprite also.

Selius

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Ah yeah normie mode we kinda set out to cater to bullet hell fans or people up for a chanlenge but then putting it on certain sites some people just want the quick fap ending rather then the challenging game play. Your the first person to leave the comment that its to slow not that more people don't think that. Are you used to faster moving bullet hell games or does things just feel slow for your reaction speed ? We've had a few requests for mouse movement and I can maybe see how it might feel slow if we add that.
my reaction speed is terrible. player movement is just too slow. i beat it on normie mode but to dodge enough shit on bullet hell mode requires clairvoyance not reaction time