What's new

Chronicles of Lonvenholm

OP
Keliar

Keliar

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
Re: Chronicles of Lonvenholm

Tech update is out and version alpha 0.1a is up! Get it on page.

Change log:

Narrative section

• Changed interface behavior during interactive choices. The main window will be shown and active, so you can use save/load or other menus.
• Added instant text speed via 5 fixed position slider. Please, check this option – due to changes your default speed will be set to the slowest variation, if you have old saves on your PC.
• Corrected a bunch of typos and badly constructed phrases.

Interface section

• Tweaked a few interface panels to have a common theme and discarded some placeholder elements to better mesh between different elements.
• Option screens for in-game and menu variations are unified in style and appearance.
• Killed some of the old files to clear some space.

Combat section

• Played around with attack animation speed, sped up them up for about 20%.
• Due to internal logic malfunction, jump animation followed wrong algorithm. Fixed the problem, now jumping should be a little more fluent.
• Changed fall speed for jump-ins to be more consistent.
• A few small tweaks to attack and jump animations.
• Fixed typos on stat % affection for some skills.
• Added fade for smoother transactions from the combat screen.

Now, what to expect further? We are content with overall development so far and want to focus on creating new content with one exception. We heard your opinion on the first sex scene, so we’ll build second prologue with a classic VN approach for sex.

During the next week, I’ll post first Q&A block on Patreon to keep all info in one place. Looks like we’ll need a FAQ section for the future. Next content update is scheduled for mid/second half of May.

OP
Keliar

Keliar

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

Updated Patreon with the first Q&A post.

Lord Arioch

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score

I played this back when you posted the first demo release over at Fen's forum, and I have to say, it is looking really great so far, Kel. Look forward to seeing where you guys take it.

OP
Keliar

Keliar

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

I played this back when you posted the first demo release over at Fen's forum, and I have to say, it is looking really great so far, Kel. Look forward to seeing where you guys take it.
Thanks! Well, it's hard to say right now, but judging by accumulated support, my guess is - not very far.

Lord Arioch

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score

I know that feeling lol. Well, I've pitched in, and hopefully word will get around and it'll start to take off for you guys. We don't have anywhere near enough Patreon projects with the promise CoL is showing. :)

OP
Keliar

Keliar

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

A quick bump, I updated the compendium info hub on the Patreon page with upcoming features and a progress report.

The second origin point will be released around May 14th.

OP
Keliar

Keliar

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

It’s time for the content update with the second prologue and some general tweaks to hit the roll-out stage. I altered my writing to make an experiment with narrative style and flow, hope you like it!

If you are new to this project, let me give you a quick heads up – “Scout” tier patrons will get their hands on the update on 20th of May and free public release will catch up to the current version on May 27th.

Now, what’s next?

The third origin point will focus on experimenting with the atmosphere in the narrative block. I try my best creating different moods throughout the prologue, from exploring ruin’s eery auras to sneaking into the cute department.

Looking at packs of questions about Chronicles of Lonvenholm’s availability on platforms other than Windows, we can’t promise support for your favorite OS soon, but I can’t simply ignore all of them. So, our team, decided to try and sidestep the issue by arranging a web version of Cols. It is not a big distraction to hinder the development for the next origin, and at the same time, web-based release can serve as a nice teaser until we finish prepping the game to run on a number of major platforms out there. A fair warning – web means higher compression for materials and a lower quality, but we’ll try to keep degrading to a minimum.

I’ll get you a more detailed version of the plan with info about the older origin points in the upcoming May – June goal post, stay tuned!

As always, your feedback is encouraged and greatly appreciated!

Change log:

Narrative section

• New prologue chapter more focused on action and quick-paced narrative with the first pure-text combat scene. Current release concludes non-magical origin point set for CoL.
• A requested feature, full textbox concealment. By default it’s bound on the right mouse button.
• We used a more classic approach to the sex scene this time around; let’s see how you react to this variation.
• A few new treats from our visual artist and a slight update for existing backgrounds. You know the usual, epic type. Damn, I want to reach the art goal faster to commission more work.
• A pack of new tracks from awesome composers found their way to set up the right mood for reading.

Combat section

• A new combat sprite for Eileen with full set of basic animation.
• XP and talent system is here for a trial run. Each battle will reward all of your officers with experience, active characters get a bonus for participating + a bit of extra for combat performance. You don’t need to play the noble’s prologue again to get the corresponding XP, start of chapter one will serve as an equalizer.
• New skill sets for Eileen and your alter ego are ready for prologue’s challenges.
• Fixed a jump-in position of the bottom line for melee attacks.

Interface section

• A new talent window in the roster menu to support the talents/perks feature.
• Fixed a bug with sliders sometimes being stuck in the “zero” zone.
• Fixed a bug with incorrect placement of soldiers after picking up an active soldier, failing to place it properly, then successfully dragging and dropping another already chosen unit in the same squire.
• Fixed a bug in the roster, Rolf’s HP bar was occasionally stolen by your alter ego.
• Tweaked font size for some buttons.

OP
Keliar

Keliar

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

Public release is up for grabs! Version is updated to 0.2a

This version features a new prologue chapter with a more action oriented storyline and a pack of yummy tracks.

You can get it or from our page. Don’t forget to check out May -> June goals and Android version!

Keep

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

While it kinda felt shorter than the first prologue - it was just as good.
altho the motivational speechs level of speech (heh) was pretty high, maybe a little too high for a band of ragtag runaways :p

Your Artist is still pretty damn skilled, the new way of using the CGs made it even more obvious.

Finally i wanted to thank you for the clear and very professional way of presenting the update notes (and your goals). pretty straightforward :)

OP
Keliar

Keliar

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

Oh, that's strange. Noble's origin is around 8,3 k words, while vagabond is pushing 9.2 k.

You are welcome :) We still have a long way to go, art section included. I'm concerned that we can't get art for all special moments in the story, but hiring another visual artist is not an option for now.

Raveman

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

judging by accumulated support, my guess is - not very far.
You need to do some active PR to gain attention for your projects, much more if you want a Patreon or something similar.Hit some Forums and have an active feed with people outside of Patreon too.

There are dozens of Patreons around eroges now, majority of them are beginners without any previous games, unlike people like SweGabe who has previous free games to back up her Patreon adventure.

I tried your first demo, and I like the style of your game, the Origins feature looks promising, the art style is pretty good, maybe combat can be better without animations, but overall a good start.
Good luck :)

OP
Keliar

Keliar

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

You need to do some active PR to gain attention for your projects, much more if you want a Patreon or something similar.Hit some Forums and have an active feed with people outside of Patreon too.

There are dozens of Patreons around eroges now, majority of them are beginners without any previous games, unlike people like SweGabe who has previous free games to back up her Patreon adventure.

I tried your first demo, and I like the style of your game, the Origins feature looks promising, the art style is pretty good, maybe combat can be better without animations, but overall a good start.
Good luck :)
Thanks. Yeah, we are planning to give combat an overhaul. No dates though.

About the PR thing – all major communities I knew are already tagged. I have a feeling that we are not making it right. CoL doesn’t focus on sex content, and looks like without it, all other parts are not very appealing.

Our team will take a pause after releasing third origin point to process the feedback, think of a way to change the concept and/or release format, etc.

Keep

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

Thanks. Yeah, we are planning to give combat an overhaul. No dates though.

About the PR thing – all major communities I knew are already tagged. I have a feeling that we are not making it right. CoL doesn’t focus on sex content, and looks like without it, all other parts are not very appealing.

Our team will take a pause after releasing third origin point to process the feedback, think of a way to change the concept and/or release format, etc.
have you also tried some classic Vn sites instead of H-Game sites ?

OP
Keliar

Keliar

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

have you also tried some classic Vn sites instead of H-Game sites ?
Yeah, we scouted some pure VN sites, but they either had rules against any sex content or focused exclusively on eastern graphics. All in all, adult communities like ulmf are better suited both with rules and people.

I’m preparing for another PR sweep and will be extremely grateful for an example of such site.

Raveman

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

You can try in
Loverslab
Legend of Krystal Forum
The new Lagoon
Lemma Soft Forum
Also 4chan and Reddit have some sections dedicated to VN and such.

Keep

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

fuwanovel appears to have a small sub-forum for VNs in development, maybe you can try to get some attention there.

thswherizat

Evard's Tentacles of Forced Intrusion
Reputation score

Yeah I finally got around to trying CoL out yesterday and I found the combat quite tedious, reminds me of that old Adventure Quest game. I understand how it's supposed to be interestingly tactical, but with the animations it all seems to just really drag on a lot. Perhaps just have the melee characters swing and see what happens there?

Also, in the battle against the Guardsmen (or whatever they were) there wasn't really a feeling like I could have lost, it was just wearing the enemies down over a good 5 rounds or so. Maybe if everyone had less health the battles could flow faster?

OP
Keliar

Keliar

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

Thanks for the help, some of those names are new to me. I'll check them out.

Yeah I finally got around to trying CoL out yesterday and I found the combat quite tedious, reminds me of that old Adventure Quest game. I understand how it's supposed to be interestingly tactical, but with the animations it all seems to just really drag on a lot. Perhaps just have the melee characters swing and see what happens there?

Also, in the battle against the Guardsmen (or whatever they were) there wasn't really a feeling like I could have lost, it was just wearing the enemies down over a good 5 rounds or so. Maybe if everyone had less health the battles could flow faster?
Prologue battles were designed to be easy. Their role is to show combat system to a new player, regardless of their origin. Indeed, combat needs a lot of work. Problem is - it will take some time from building new content. We'll think about the best way to tweak it on the hiatus.

YummyTiger

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Became a patron, as I really want to see this succeed. Your artist is incredible.

Good luck!

OP
Keliar

Keliar

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

Became a patron, as I really want to see this succeed. Your artist is incredible.

Good luck!
Thank you! Yeap, her art is one of the greatest points in the project :)