Jack-o-Nine-2 development

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gfurst

Demon Girl
Reputation score
[SIZE=+2]Jack-o-Nine-2[/SIZE]

So what is this?
Back at the end of last year (2015), in the HF forums, there was pretty active discussion the Jack o Nine Tails game, lots of people take interest on the project and try to improve it, but face themselves with really badly written code and untranslated in parts.

Was in face of that, that some people (myself included) wanted to rewrite the whole thing from ground up, in a decent engine and grow from there. So I begun the work on what was supposed to be the unofficial sequel.

For that task I've chosen the free open-source game engine called .
Besides being fully open and free, has multi-platform support (Windows, Linux and OSX), high efficiency (C++ backend) and easy scripted programming language. Back it was already good, but since then has improved tons still.

[SIZE=+1]Why re-do the Wheel?[/SIZE]

The objective was not only to just do a improved clone of the original game. My main goal was to developed a clean game with clear coding and smart asset usage, so that anyone could improve and build on it without much effort, to sum up a list:

• Clean and smart code, documented so its easily readable.
  • High customization, everything regarding the lore world can easily edited in plain text files (json format).
  • Version safe saved games (and issue where the original game literally saved the whole executable state).
  • Customized paper-doll girl graphics, instead having to source for tons of different art, the paper-doll system allows for high efficient variation of girls.
  • Customized slaves, instead of having predefined slaves, they would be generated randomly.
  • Proper documentation, not only from the gameplay but all development in general.
  • Modular modding, basically all aspects of the game are to be easily modable, for example you could include a third-party set of girl graphics, or use a completely different world.
  • Streamlined features of gameplay and balancing.

Also if its not obvious, this was always meant to be a community driven and sourced project.
Input from other coders are very much desirable, but not only that, people who can contribute in graphical arts, lore writing and etc, are essential.

[SIZE=+1]The Progression[/SIZE]

During development, what I've noticed, is that making everything so modular and customable, this could be easily the base for many known h-games we've seen around.
With a strong example, the Princess Trainer and similar, also most Ren'py game made out there.
Essentially it easily allows for a VN like game, dialog centric and text navigation, all the while expanding on data tracking and custom events and requirements to be had.

[SIZE=+1]Project Repository[/SIZE]

As I've mentioned, all the project is open-source and readily available:

Github is a great utility for collaborative development, as well as hosting all the project files it allows for others to fork and merge progress. As well a own wiki for documentation, a tab to download packaged releases, keeping track of issues for short term goals, also allowing discussion of specific things and long term milestones.

So learning git is probably very important to someone who wants to contribute, shouldn't be too hard to grasp the basics of it. In addition to the github I host my own git server with a copy of the repository, as well as other repositories which may contain sensitive material (borrowed assets).
I also use a git extension called git-lfs (large file storage) which is aimed on reducing overhead of larger files (like assets), and is also hosted along my private git.

[SIZE=+1]Support[/SIZE]

The project is always meant to be free and open-source. As I always dreamt for the project to be collaborative and community effort. The biggest way to support is by helping with your own input, there are several ways:

• help out with coding design or expertise in game development
  • sourcing assets, images backgrounds, music, etc..
  • even donating your art to the project
  • writing of dialog and lore, events and the putting the world together
  • even just suggesting gameplay mechanics and whatever

With that being said, its been more than six months since I last could give in my best to the project, needless to say, a little financial encouragement could go a long way.
But its always tricky getting financial support on open-source projects, many very useful stuff still gets terribly underfunded around the world (godot itself being one of them).
If I were to accept money, how would I handle outside one time contributors? It would need to be explicitly for my on-going personal development, and perhaps commission of third-party to help out on specific areas.
This is a very gray area and I would like your input on the subject.

[SIZE=+1]Links[/SIZE]

Last edited:
OP
G

Gfurst

Demon Girl
Reputation score
[WIP] Jack-o-Nine-2 - Previews

[SIZE=+2]Previews[/SIZE]

But, what the hell have you got so far?
Now the part that everybody loves, some preview pics of my experimentation:

Some very early pictures fo the UI looks like:

Some gifs showcasing the paper-doll mechanic (you may have to open these directly):

[SIZE=-1]note: these are borrowed assets from the game Custom Reido V[/SIZE]

And finally a little webm showing in game navigation between area and dialog (didn't have any better place to host the webm):

Last edited:

Elerneron

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
Re: [WIP] Jack-o-Nine-2

Edit: Feel free to ignore this. (Leaving the text in a spoiler as a sample of my stupidity.)

Not supporting Windows is a HUGE detriment to a project.

About 90% of desktops use a Windows OS.
Only about 5% of the population use a Mac OS.
Less than 3% of the population use Linux.

Not supporting Windows is not logical . . . unless you assumed that was a given and just didn't state it.

Last edited:

Lurker_01

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

Not supporting Windows is a HUGE detriment to a project.

About 90% of desktops use a Windows OS.
Only about 5% of the population use a Mac OS.
Less than 3% of the population use Linux.

Not supporting Windows is not logical . . . unless you assumed that was a given and just didn't state it.
Are you sure it doesn't support Windows? this says:

Desktop platforms: Windows, OS X, Linux, *BSD, Haiku

edit: no apologies needed, just the OP didn't mention it, taking it as granted.

Last edited:

Elerneron

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

My bad then. I didn't check the project, just what was stated in the OP. Carry on with my apologies.

OP
G

Gfurst

Demon Girl
Reputation score

Alright, glad that you sorted it out....
just finished updating the OP and put up some previews.

btw, just noticed this board doesn't get much attention, do you guys think its a good idea to have a [incomplete] thread on the main board and keep this as development discussion?

redscizor

Tentacle Monster
Reputation score
Re: Jack-o-Nine-2 development

Interesting, but, what is the difference with the original game? the UI is same that original game

OP
G

Gfurst

Demon Girl
Reputation score
Re: Jack-o-Nine-2 development

Interesting, but, what is the difference with the original game? the UI is same that original game
right well originally, I wanted to make a pretty close remake of the original, but with decent backbone coding
that means game running fluidly, not save locked, sane modding for anyone who wants to,
that would only mean something to you if you face these issues with the original...
however, as like much games in development design suffer alterations,
I already envision many gameplay changes that the game could be considered 'inspired by', and not a full remake
but the whole scope would still be the same, you're a poor slaver and take on slave training for a living

J300mer

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
How's the work coming along, necro thread?

DarkFire1004

Tentacle Goddess of the H-Section
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reputation score
This thread has been moved to the H-section to be locked due to a lack of gameplay information. If you wish to preserve this thread, please PM a moderator with an updated OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.