What's new

SunsetRiders7

Demon Girl
Reputation score
Something Unlimited

Version 1.9(alpha) Public

Hey guys, I just wanted to come in and make an official thread for Something Unlimited. Line Marvel seems to be the major hub of info for these games so it seems like the best place to have a public outlet. I won't be in here answering every single day because it just takes up too much time. But I'll be sure to stop by and update a bit every now and then and answer as many as I can.

The game obviously is inspired by the DCAU and has elements of the episode "Grudge Match" from season 2 of the JLU series, but this is completely parady. Not everything is hinged on that but it's the loose concept for the game to take place. Instead of starting an underground pit fighter you're starting more like a brothel/strip club. I wanted to stay away from the Training idea because it's just so much harder to make it make any sense and keep the characters relatively true. In this you'll simply upgrade their control devices and eventually be able to just inject whatever personality you want. It's of course based on Akabur's Princess Trainer but I wanted to have more freedom to just do whatever. The game plays the same though, you generate money daily to unlock more things. I'm still figuring out what will actually be in the game at the initial release just based on time. I plan to keep adding to it though, everything in this game has been designed to be expanded. So you can think of the first official release more as a milestone and more will come in the future. The game will be released for free with an exclusive content for Patreon supporters.

The game is built in Unity which was just my preference. I've worked on some small platformers and messed around in it over the years so I generally know what I'm doing. This is my secondish VN type game, Bend or Break you could class as a first I guess. It was just a test project that turned into whatever it is but I learned a massive amount from it. What is there was completed in less than two weeks so I could get a general idea on how much time it would take to make a larger more complex game. At the end of August Something will have been in production two months and probably released initially in another two or three. Due to the nature of making games I'm not going to even try to set a firm date but I think this is a reasonable pace to keep for now.

I'm working on this alone which I think is to my advantage. I can always be 100% efficient with my time and don't have to wait on anyone or explain anything to others. I have a general knowledge of C# but I may bring in someone more skilled eventually to help clean things up. I've always wanted to make a game and I think the simplicity of the VN style is great. Even some platformer shooters I've made in the past take many physics calculations, complex character actions controllers, and just so many things that take a lot of time to make. With the VN being mostly art driven it's a lot easier to deal with. This game still takes time but most of it being drawing as opposed to fine tuning code.

Last edited:

comradered

Evard's Tentacles of Forced Intrusion
Reputation score
Re: Injustice Unlimited

Its like everyone and their mother is riding the patreon train now.

Well, good luck I guess.

duck666

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Its like everyone and their mother is riding the patreon train now.

Well, good luck I guess.
Call me old-fashion and skeptical, but I prefer to pay, at the end, for the complete product rather than fund something that is yet to be finished.

OnyxShadow

Evard's Tentacles of Forced Intrusion
Reputation score

I haven't been burned yet on any of the Patreon campaigns I've been a part of so I guess I don't have the negativity towards it that some do. That said, it might have been a good idea to hold off on this until there was at least something to show. Just a few paragraphs text-only description is probably too little to go on to generate significant interest and could dampen long-term enthusiasm.

mayaktheunholy

Cthulhu
Reputation score

Call me old-fashion and skeptical, but I prefer to pay, at the end, for the complete product rather than fund something that is yet to be finished.
But if these are not funded, they never will be finished. Like in my case, I had to stop production to focus on paying the bills. Working full time and making a game by yourself is just not practical for most of us. So you can either support these western devs, or have no English H-games to speak of. (except for those few who work full time and make games, but they end up in development hell indefinitely)

duck666

Tentacle God
Reputation score

But if these are not funded, they never will be finished. Like in my case, I had to stop production to focus on paying the bills. Working full time and making a game by yourself is just not practical for most of us. So you can either support these western devs, or have no English H-games to speak of. (except for those few who work full time and make games, but they end up in development hell indefinitely)
That is generally the problem and conflict/fear. People fear their money is going into a blackhole. On the other end, people can't afford to spend time working on the game without funds.

mayaktheunholy

Cthulhu
Reputation score

That is generally the problem and conflict/fear. People fear their money is going into a blackhole. On the other end, people can't afford to spend time working on the game without funds.
Yeah, most of us would do it for free if we could. I know I would.

The solution I thought of is, since I am mainly an animator, would be to offer exclusive animations every month. That way it is almost like a paysite, where you are getting regular content for your money. And people can pledge for a month or two, then stop and wait for me to build up more animations and pledge again later on. Maybe not a solution for every dev, but I think it is a decent way to alleviate that fear some have that their money would be wasted.

ballsoker

Demon Girl
Reputation score

Sorry but i dont Trust someone who just Posted his first Post here and already wants to open up some Patreon Donation hub

freeko

Banned
Reputation score

Try things like getting an actual job? At least until you are off and running as a successful games developer.

I understood the value of generating revenue at a very young age. That I was able to make more money than what I was spending was on the general whole a plus as well.

I find this particular OP delusional at the least. I guess I will reserve final judgment once a patreon is actually made. Then again there is absolutely nothing posted so far that makes me even remotely want to bother with looking into the concepts of this game. Just looks like someone trying to cash in on being a "me too" impersonator of a successful formula elsewhere.

I could be wrong, though I doubt it on a general level given the OP's post.

OP
S

SunsetRiders7

Demon Girl
Reputation score

I think you misunderstand based on it being my first post on this particular forum and you're taking that as an experience level of some sort. I've been around for a while.

I'm not running my Patreon as a paywall and the game will be released for free eventually. Patreon supporters will get the first info and then it will also trickle down eventually. There are three dev builds done already for $20 supporters who are pretty much funding the game.

This is just a thread for people interested in some info on my game and that's all.

invisible

Demon Girl
Reputation score

I wish you best of luck on this project, and SunsetRiders7 is really good at his drawings they almost look canon.

cvonsuela85

Mystic Girl
Reputation score

I think you misunderstand based on it being my first post on this particular forum and you're taking that as an experience level of some sort. I've been around for a while.

I'm not running my Patreon as a paywall and the game will be released for free eventually. Patreon supporters will get the first info and then it will also trickle down eventually. There are three dev builds done already for $20 supporters who are pretty much funding the game.

This is just a thread for people interested in some info on my game and that's all.
Just noticed that you didn't provide a link to your patreon or your site. It's no biggie to me, but figured you'd probably want to have that info up.

OP
S

SunsetRiders7

Demon Girl
Reputation score

I wish you best of luck on this project, and SunsetRiders7 is really good at his drawings they almost look canon.
Thanks a lot, I'll try my best.

Just noticed that you didn't provide a link to your patreon or your site. It's no biggie to me, but figured you'd probably want to have that info up.
I had some art/links in that description but it won't let me post outgoing links till my 15th post. Just google my name and it's near the top.

Legrandxav

Lurker
Reputation score

Why do you always write patreon in bold?

It look like you wanted to say to us: "Come on, give me money, I'm on Patreon, it's serious business even if I don't show you anything from my supposed game!"

Don't get me wrong, your presentation is good, really professional but with patreon in bold and no image or more precise info on the game, I can't give money.

So:
1) Show us something of the game.
2) Give us infos
3) Put a link to your patreon (even if it's not clickable replace http by hxxp for example).

OP
S

SunsetRiders7

Demon Girl
Reputation score

1) Show us something of the game.
2) Give us infos
3) Put a link to your patreon (even if it's not clickable replace http by hxxp for example).
Fair enough, here's two promos attached. Keep in mind these are a month or so behind. Most of the sketch backgrounds in these are already done.

here's a link to the first one.
ww.hentai-foundry.com/pictures/user/SunsetRiders7/361046/Injustice-Unlimited-Promo

and here's another one.
s5.postimg.org/x8n4d7vsn/Promo02.jpg

I will make some newer ones eventually.

Patreon here.
ww.patreon.com/sunsetriders7

mayaktheunholy

Cthulhu
Reputation score

Don't let the Patreon crybabies get you down, they are just jealous. Jealous they can't get paid to do what they love, jealous they can't produce anything themselves, or just jealous they don't have the balls to go for it. :p

Good luck with your project. :)

imercenary

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

I just plain prefer not to pay to be beta tester.

Oh and DC IP? That ain't gonna go over well.

Anon42

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

Don't let the Patreon crybabies get you down, they are just jealous. Jealous they can't get paid to do what they love, jealous they can't produce anything themselves, or just jealous they don't have the balls to go for it. :p

Good luck with your project. :)
Really don't think that's the case, man. Not with most people at least. The problem was that the guy didn't show anything about the game but words, and he was already talking about Patreon. It doesn't exactly make a good impression when you start asking people for money before you even show them a picture of what you're working on, on top of the fact that he starts it off by saying Line Marvel is important, but he won't be paying much attention to us.

No offense to the dev - I'm sure you're talented - but all in all the first post is really not a good impression. There's one paragraph about the game itself and the rest seems like it's just trying to convince us you know what you're doing, rather than showing us what you can do instead. I can't complain too much though, I made the same mistakes when I first came to ULMF afterall, just didn't have a Patreon campaign right away. In any case, ignore the naysayers - I'm sure you'll show us all what you're made of in no time, and I wish you luck on your project!

mayaktheunholy

Cthulhu
Reputation score

Really don't think that's the case, man. Not with most people at least. The problem was that the guy didn't show anything about the game but words, and he was already talking about Patreon. It doesn't exactly make a good impression when you start asking people for money before you even show them a picture of what you're working on, on top of the fact that he starts it off by saying Line Marvel is important, but he won't be paying much attention to us.
EDIT : never mind, not worth arguing about.