What's new

Concubine: A Gamebook for Adults, by Logan Scodini

triacom

Demon Girl
Reputation score
Re: Concubine: A Gamebook for Adults, by Logan Scodini

I didn't play this until now, but I have to say that it's really annoying to have choices taken away without the ability to do anything about it. Telling me things like "you don't have X to do this choice" when it's impossible to gain X to do that choice is ridiculous, why even have the choice in that case? It just leads to the player being railroaded while pretending there is something else that could have happened, when in reality there was not.

deepsleep

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

Played on the phone. I like the writing. Are there any pictures ?

OP
L

logan.scodini

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

I just published a new update for the public release:

newgroundsluvr

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

Has anyone won the fight in the catacombs? This seems impossible for me.

Locutus

Tentacle Monster
Reputation score

I managed it, but only after turning the difficulty down in the options. The trick seemed to be rushing down one of the enemies right at the start, forgoing defence until it's a 3v3.

OP
L

logan.scodini

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

This week public update now includes the first few patches I had made last month to the combat engine. Healing spells have been buffed, along with other changes.

You can grab the latest update here.

tontoman

Demon Girl
Reputation score

Nice game, just tried the new release.

Kudos for having a game being the trainee and not the trainer, like the other 99% of the games out there. It's a nice change. That and being able to choose the sexes.

Like the interface, nice and slick. Not sure about the slow dissolve though. While it's not that slow, it's borderline annoying. And the longer the path the worse that will get. Slow movement/screens is always a thing to think of in any game with movement/screen flipping due to travel and especially work schedule type games.
Making 5 moves to get out of bed and go to work is one thing, waiting between each screen is another. Can be avoided with shortcuts to work, as you don't seem to have random encounters for the trips around town or to work. And random encounters themselves can break up the repetition of walking the same path to work.

Like the writing, it's good, not sure on the options you get. They seem to do little with the scene being exactly the same for things like Refuse vs Refuse in a snarky manner. Games like CoC or TiTs will still have the same general outcome (you get sexed) in a scene, but how you respond will change the sexing heh.
One example is the silver tavern and the meeting with B.B. You had two ways of refusing, and both come out exactly the same.

Or maybe your response is meant to change your stats instead... but then also don't see a stats effect? If it is stats that are blocking some choices (I do see some greyed out), would be good to show why and what stat is doing that. That way you know stats matter, and what to change if you try another game.
But are the paths going to be fleshed out (or is this just linear as it's a starting section) as right now pretty linear and so now stats have no effect it seems.

But looking good in general, and thanks. :)

OP
L

logan.scodini

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

You can grab a new update to the Public Version:

Thanks for the nice review. Indeed, stats are somehow inflexible at the moment, though your choices do influence the relationship with the various NPCs.

OP
L

logan.scodini

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

The Public Version has been updated:

OP
L

logan.scodini

Jungle Girl
Reputation score