What's new

Sol Stories

AHGD

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
Hey there, I'm developing a game called Sol Stories.

Download is on the game's blog: solstoriesdevDOTblogspotDOTcoDOTuk/ (I can't post the actual link until I have 15 posts, lol. Just replace the DOTs with '.')

You command a slaving vessel around 250 years in the future. Due to the sudden appearance of a variety of alien races, the government has fallen apart giving you the opportunity to exploit the weak. The game is text-based, but I'm planning on building a paper-doll based system for displaying characters at some point in the future. As of writing, there is an introduction quest in the and some repeatable quests to explore the game. You can capture prisoners, break them, train them and then choose to: keep them as slaves, sell them on or promote them to crewmembers.

I really want to hear any feedback you guys have for this. It's still early in development and I need ideas for features to add. Please post any bugs/typos/whatever in the thread too, I'll add them to my bug tracker and hopefully get them fixed quickly.

Last edited:

Sarav

Evard's Tentacles of Forced Intrusion
Reputation score
Re: Sol Stories

So how do I change the size of the window? As it is, it opens in the top left corner of my screen with about 15% of it cut off, and I can't move it around.

Edit: Ok figured it out. Just open up the user data and change the width and height to suit your screen and change Fixed Screen=1 into =0 so you can move it around.

Edit 2: That fixed absolutely nothing, even thought the window now fits my screen, everything inside of it is still cut off.

Last edited:
OP
A

AHGD

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

Thanks for putting that link in, Exeryon.

Sarav, yeah, I never considered people with different screen resolutions. I'm going to set the window to be resizable at the very least for the next release. Hopefully I can get it to scale as well (so that there's no black box around the edge of the screen when full screen and stuff).

EDIT: Actually, I can see how that could be really annoying for people with small screens. I'll try and get a hotfix out ASAP. It shouldn't be too hard to fix, I know how I'll do it.

Last edited:

thswherizat

Reputation score

So... Is it a text based ADV game? An RPG? I can't actually download the link right now, but it would be helpful to add some stuff about the game itself to the first post.

OP
A

AHGD

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

Okay, I've got a hotfix up. Now the UI should scale to however large or small you want the window to be. Check the blog for the download link.

@thswherizat: Yeah, it's somewhere between Free Cities and Fenoxo's games. When I get a chance I'll update the OP with some more info and some screenshots.

Sarav

Reputation score

@thswherizat: Yeah, it's somewhere between Free Cities and Fenoxo's games. When I get a chance I'll update the OP with some more info and some screenshots.
So Free Cities in space? I'm loving it already.

keith3

Demon Girl
Reputation score

So I tried to get as far as I could without getting stuck. Here's some feedback I had.
  • I'd recommend a save format that isn't plaintext XML. It's inefficient to store and too easily modifiable. Maybe consider binary or some kind of encoding/obfuscation.
  • I'd mention somewhere it's a text-based game.
  • The side menu says I have 2 crew, but crew quarters says I have 6.
  • Once I click options, there's no way to leave the page without saving or loading a game. I'd recommend having a close button.
  • Finishing a day doesn't increment the day in the side menu.
  • I don't currently see a way to capture a slave. I can travel to Neistea II, but don't see where I can do any capturing. Also read the guide but couldn't find the encyclopedia, not sure if they're the same thing. Still couldn't figure it out.

Good luck with the development! It's hard to give an overall recommendation now cause I don't know if I just got stuck partway or if that's the end of the demo thus far.

OP
A

AHGD

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

@keith3 Thanks for the feedback.
With regards to the saves being xml format, I'm keeping them like that for now to allow for easy save editing (for debugging or if people just want to cheat). When/if I add a cheat/debug option I'll switch over to binary serialization. It's literally a couple of lines to change.

Good job spotting the crew quarters bug and the date bug, I'll have those fixed in the next version.

I need to add a way to close the options menu, yeah. That's added to my to-do list (probably next version).

To capture someone, you need to look around the Neistea II swamps a few times at most. Each time you do there's currently a 50% chance of finding someone. Maybe I should make it more obvious so people don't get stuck.

keith3

Demon Girl
Reputation score

To capture someone, you need to look around the Neistea II swamps a few times at most. Each time you do there's currently a 50% chance of finding someone. Maybe I should make it more obvious so people don't get stuck.
Doh, completely missed the "Leave ship" button. I assumed the "Explore the Universe" option was only for travelling between planets. Thanks for the response!

OP
A

AHGD

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

Doh, completely missed the "Leave ship" button. I assumed the "Explore the Universe" option was only for travelling between planets. Thanks for the response!
Yeah, it's not very intuitive. I'm thinking of moving the 'Leave Ship' button to the bridge but the bridge is already kind of cluttered.

S_K

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score

Two Bugs;
1) Training a slave to the level past "I've Mastered [Skill]", specifically the Blowjob skill, messes up the "call slave" blowjob scene on the bridge of the ship, cutting out most of the text.

2) Some women are missing their "Beautiful/Ugly" description completely.

Other than that and the ones already posted, I can't see anything else wrong. Hopefully you add more sex service scenes in, and maybe make training an obedient slave and then making them a crew member have some sort of effect.

Or just make Slave-Crewmembers a different thing entirely.

Solid work so far though.

kvier

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

Crashes for me under Win8.1 ("DualityLauncher has stopped working"); runs into a bug in mono (I think) under linux (can't find System.Runtime v4 even though it's installed). Any chance you have any idea what's going on?

OP
A

AHGD

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

Two Bugs;
1) Training a slave to the level past "I've Mastered [Skill]", specifically the Blowjob skill, messes up the "call slave" blowjob scene on the bridge of the ship, cutting out most of the text.

2) Some women are missing their "Beautiful/Ugly" description completely.

Other than that and the ones already posted, I can't see anything else wrong. Hopefully you add more sex service scenes in, and maybe make training an obedient slave and then making them a crew member have some sort of effect.

Or just make Slave-Crewmembers a different thing entirely.

Solid work so far though.
Thanks for #1, I've added it to my bug tracker. It'll be fixed in the next version. #2 happens when they have average looks. I should really add a description for that because I can see why that could be confusing.

Crashes for me under Win8.1 ("DualityLauncher has stopped working"); runs into a bug in mono (I think) under linux (can't find System.Runtime v4 even though it's installed). Any chance you have any idea what's going on?
Hm, that's really weird. Can you post the logfile.txt (upload it to pastebin or something) that's in the game's directory? I actually have an idea what's causing it and I hope that I'm not right, because it's gonna be a massive pain in the ass to fix. I'm going to have access to a computer with Windows 8.1 in two weeks time, so I'll see if I can look into it more then anyway.

Anyway, there's a new release out. I've added interstellar travel, female PC sex scenes, tantra harvesting and a new quest (among a bunch of other things). The download is on the blog (second post in this thread, I still can't post links :()

kvier

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

Hm, that's really weird. Can you post the logfile.txt (upload it to pastebin or something) that's in the game's directory? I actually have an idea what's causing it and I hope that I'm not right, because it's gonna be a massive pain in the ass to fix. I'm going to have access to a computer with Windows 8.1 in two weeks time, so I'll see if I can look into it more then anyway.
On the bright side for you, but not for me, it's a design flaw in VirtualBox. (logfile.txt says "[Core] Wrn: The detected OpenGL version 1.1.0 appears to be lower than the required minimum. Version 2.1 or higher is required to run Duality applications.")

I guess I just don't get to play :( oh well

OP
A

AHGD

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

On the bright side for you, but not for me, it's a design flaw in VirtualBox. (logfile.txt says "[Core] Wrn: The detected OpenGL version 1.1.0 appears to be lower than the required minimum. Version 2.1 or higher is required to run Duality applications.")

I guess I just don't get to play :( oh well
Oh man, that sucks. Yeah, with VirtualBox running Windows 8 as a guest OS only OpenGL 1.1 is supported. According to the internet, it should work with other guest OSes though (one guy says OpenGL works fine on Windows 7). Not that I suggest you install a whole OS just to play my shitty game, lol. I wish I could help, but I didn't write the engine I'm using for graphics and content (Duality).

Trombley

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

Does anyone know how to train/upgrade your own skills?

OP
A

AHGD

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

Does anyone know how to train/upgrade your own skills?
It depends on the skill. Sexual skills are increased whenever you use them (which is only during rape and tantra harvesting right now). Job skills are increased for each day spent doing that job on the ship. Cleaning is increased by cleaning the ship yourself when it gets dirty.

OP
A

AHGD

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

v0.3.0 is out. I've added a combat system and made a few other changes.
Link is on my blog (check the second post in this thread. Still can't post links :( )

Changelog:
Major Changes:
  • Added a combat system
  • Added weapons, which can be bought from the shop on Neistea I and equipped in the cargo screen
  • Added a health system, which affects how much HP you have in combat. A better Chief Medical Officer will make you more healthy.
  • Replaced the combat scene on Mestiutis and the combat scene when capturing girls on Neistea II with the actual combat system.
Minor Changes:
  • The UI now displays the maximum energy, tantra, number of crew and number of captives you can have.
  • You can now look at yourself in your quarters
  • Added info about slave assignments to the guide
  • You can now see the descriptions of all the items in your cargo hold.
Notable Bugfixes:
  • Training a slave above skill level 5 in blowjob no longer screws up the bridge blowjob scene (reported by S_K from this board)
  • Fixed the bug where some character's descriptions weren't showing properly (reported by a bunch of people)
I've also set up a Patreon as a little tip jar. I'm not charging for access to the game or anything, but I appreciate any donations.

OP
A

AHGD

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

New release guys. Version 0.4.0. This is mostly minor changes, but I really appreciate you guys telling me if anything doesn't work right.
Changelog:
Major changes:
  • You can now save and load from anywhere (I think, please tell me if it doesn't work somewhere).
  • Body part growth and reduction drugs are now available from the market on Neistea I.
Minor changes:
  • You now have a base healing level, even without a doctor.
  • The assist crewmember slave assignment now actually gives slaves xp in that crewmember's job(s).
  • Numeric values now show next to most stats in the game (suggested by /hgg/ anon). This will probably become optional/require an in-game item in the future, but for now it's permanent.
  • Added a 'next' button to the slave market.
  • You can now exhaust the slaves in the slave market for the day, come back the next day for more.
  • Penis size affects the bridge sex scene.
  • Added a description of the science role to the guide.
  • Particularly disobedient slaves now have negative effects on your other slaves. Slaves that are just a bit disobedient only have negative effects on themselves. It's better to fully break a captive while they are a prisoner.
  • You can now punish slaves without putting them in prison first.
  • A tonne of stuff behind the scenes (code refactoring, etc.), hopefully this will make development faster.

Still can't post links lmao, check the second post in this thread for the download.