What's new

Amarant: Noble's Path

Gear47demon

Tentacle God
Reputation score
Re: Amarant: Noble's Path

B I'm going against the mold! I still want answers, but without drawing too much attention. While it could all be a charade, and the gem on his dagger might be a fake, I'm going to lean towards this guy actually being of a slightly upper class or at least used to being in their company.

Z: Be courteous and sympathetic with him, but if he tries anything else after giving an unsatisfactory answer like before then kick him in the shin and wrench your arm free before calling a guard.

Diagasvesle

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

I'll go with a modified A again:
Jane quickly scans the area looking for a guard. Next she yanks her wrist away but times it so it happens just as the guy is taking a step and has one foot in the air (hopefully it will catch him by surprise and cause him to lose balance, maybe even fall down). Then:
- if there is a guard nearby - call him and let's see if our new "friend" will be a bit more talkative when dealing with a guard
- if there is no nearby guard simply refuse to go and threaten the man to either stop, answer her questions, or leave her alone
In both cases keep a close eye on him, ready for any hostile movements.
Again, a good choice. Its combining B with A by having a guard appear (hopefully). Through I have a feeling this guy is going to attack her, he is already so very close.

Not to mention he appears immediately (mere minutes) after her mentor in fighting leaves for his business.

Z - Minor Action: Jane felt spikes of fear twirling through her heart, her blood starting to pump and time starting to slow. This fear, this fear is provoking her instincts, to fight or flight. She felt her magic stirring even as her eyes focused on the man's back, his form and figure, drinking in the sight of him to mark in her mind. | This minor action is to prep Jane for combat to annul the act of surprise.

tomaito89

Sex Demon
Reputation score

I know material shift can change the strength/durability of an object; can it change the weight? If so, I say we see how well this guy can walk while wearing a two ton tunic.

Otherwise, I say yank back hard while casting wave of force with our other hand, aiming for his ribs. Then find a guard. As for clothes, I stick by my original choice.

OP
Cevrik777

Cevrik777

Sex Demon
Reputation score

Results:
Primary Vote: A
- Jane refuses to go, yanking her wrist away and threatening the man to either stop, answer her questions, or leave her alone.

I know material shift can change the strength/durability of an object; can it change the weight? If so, I say we see how well this guy can walk while wearing a two ton tunic.
Material Shift isn’t quite that powerful. It mostly tends to strengthen a material or cause it to become brittle and more likely to break. Yes, while the spell could theoretically increase its weight, the spell doesn’t have near enough that power to accomplish a feat such as what you describe. Besides, the cast time on the spell would require Jane to remain in contact with the man’s clothing for quite a bit.

“Unhand me!” Jane shouted at the man, jerking her arm back and free from the man’s grasp.

He made an effort to seize her arm again, but she pulled back even more.

“Please! Don’t make this any harder than it has to be!”

His words disturbed her – they were not a plea for help anymore, but a vague threat. Her hand was ready to retrieve her knife at a moment’s notice, her leg pivoting back to hide the sight of it as she pulled the skirt up ever so slowly.

“Who are you really? If you care not to answer then I would prefer if you leave… now!”

The lone girl stood her ground, bodyguard or no, waiting for this stranger to answer her. Another grasp, this ruffian didn’t know when to stop: she stepped back, avoiding the wild attempt. Her expression was now one of contempt – even if this brute did know either Maria or herself, he surely wasn’t any friend of theirs.

“Please…! It’s- It’s just right down here, I need you to do this. You don’t-“

“She isn’t going to go with you, Thomas”.

A voice from behind the scoundrel interrupted him. He turned to look, Jane peering past him to see who this mystery voice belonged to as well.

Another well-dressed man stood among three others. He was slightly taller than this “Thomas”, his hair wavy, covering the tips of his pointed ears. He was also quite well dressed, the slight ruffles at his neck and brightly colored pants indicating that he too might come from one of the wealthier districts in the city. He was not alone however, as beside him were three other men, one of which was a similar looking elf dressed in much the same apparel, – ”brothers, perhaps?” Jane pondered – a boy whose face and clothing seemed to imply he was of human and elf lineage from a lesser district, and, finally, another human, this one the most striking of all.

The final one radiated a certain air of authority among the group, the others not standing behind him simply by coincidence, but as followers, subordinates even. He was dressed in a pale red tunic, which was embroidered with gold patterns around his neck and chest. Its length was offset, cinched at his hips with a belt, to which a small sword was attached on his left side. His hair was blonde, slightly darker than the gold on his tunic, it was a curled mass that covered his forehead. His face was quite handsome - sharp and dashing, the only blemish was a blackened eye and bruised nose. He carried himself with a sense of authority as the group began walking towards the clashing pair.

Jane instinctively backed up a few more feet as she studied their faces: Except for the half-elf, each one of them looked familiar. She studied their faces, trying to remember where she seen them before – those that struck her as familiar all had elements to them that indicated that they came from the Upper Residential or Noble’s district. The leader then smiled, narrowing his eyes as he set his gaze on Jane. It was then, right before he spoke, that she knew where he was from.

“Hello again, my elusive, little doe.” He spoke with a crude smirk.

Edwin Darnel, third oldest of many sons to Marcus Darnel, a nobleman and politician in equal standing to her father. His father also oversees the City Guard, effectively controlling the military of the city. She remembered now, how she had given him that bruise on his face: She was leaving one of her usual dining spots a few days ago when she had felt his hand on her backside. That day had been worse than most and she had reacted out of stress and anger, turning around and striking him hard enough that he fell out of the chair unconscious. It was after she had struck him that she noticed the party seated around the table – the very same gentlemen who were with him now, including this “Thomas”. She had hastily begun to apologize, using what charms she had to try and escape the restaurant unharmed. She managed to get away, the gentlemen actually seeming quite amused about their leader being knocked out by a “Noble girl”. She had hoped such an event would not come back to haunt her, but that seemed to be fool’s hope.

While she did recognize the others from the restaurant, she couldn’t put a name or title to them – they were most likely the sons of well-to-do merchants or artisans who worked in the employ of noble houses. Whatever the case, they seemed to be in the “employ” of Edwin.

The group came up beside Thomas, who looked as much afraid as depressed.

“I told you he couldn’t get it done.” one of the elven men said.

“Well, he had his chance, now we have ours. “ the other elven man replied to what Jane assumed to be his brother.

Thomas became even more visibly saddened by the comments, slowly shuffling back to “rank” behind Edwin. Edwin then spoke up, all the while continuing to smirk at Jane.

“So, how are you? Good since the last time we met?”

Jane didn’t answer, unsure of what action to take in such a situation.

“Hmph. You should know I lied to my father about this little incident.” Edwin said, motioning to his eye with his open palm.

“I told him it was someone else, a boy not too much younger than myself who,apparently, had a chip on his shoulder about us nobles. I told my father how he had shamed my family’s honor, fought me, marked my face… all on the day before I was to go to court with him too. In actuality, he didn’t do too much to me at all, a bad-mouthing me in front of some of my colleagues, but no one I really cared for anyway. My father didn’t ask much about what had happened, no, he was too concerned for the well-being of his son.”

He began to move slowly towards Jane, crossing his arms as he continued to talk. Jane stood still but was careful for any sudden movements.

“My father was none too pleased. It made me look weak. It made our family look weak, that I had been struck by a simple commoner.”

He stopped for a moment, looking away from Jane as he studied the building next to them, then turning back to her as he spoke up again.

“I haven’t heard of the boy since; he probably became lost somewhere in the slums. A shame – I hear terrible things happen to those who go down there. Or even… simply wander outside the Noble’s District…”

His smile stretched a bit more, as did those of his followers. Jane began to get a sinking feeling in her stomach as he looked at her, mixing with the disgust that had been there for a while now. He continued to pace around, looking into the window of the jewelry store, admiring what was not there. He began again, continuing to look through the slightly mottled glass.

“Now, you remember the tale of Jenna, sister to your friend Anna? I’m sure you heard about the horrible secrets she kept from her family.”

Jane knew all too well: How her friend Anna, usually ever so cheerful, was a broken mess for weeks on end due to the allegations brought against her sister. Stories of her involved with so many men around town… and even worse.

The look on Jane’s face told Edwin that she remembered. He adopted a solemn expression as he continued to speak.

“Yes… it was a shame. I fancied her so too, but she didn’t return my affections – quite the shame. Nonetheless, I myself did not believe the stories. No, how could sweet, little Jenna ever do such things? No, I believe it was a rumor, conjured by someone who despised her. Still, how could sweet, little Jenna ever do such a thing!?”

His voice began to rise as he finished, his normal, calm demeanor breaking slightly. He took a moment to recompose himself, smiling at Jane again.

“Quite the shame that such is the world we live in… a world of politics and reputations, of slights and their repercussions…”

Jane was glaring at him by this point, her gaze boring into the back of his head as he continued to look through the glass. Edwin’s brothers had told her of him in passing: She knew of him long before now, of his spiteful and vindictive personality, but she had no idea it extended so far, no idea of the tactics he used his father to employ. Thoughts of what other political controversies could have been cause by this child fill her mind, questioning how many of them were fact and how many were fiction.

Edwin turned, the same smile still on his face.

“So… Jane: I have a proposition for you – a…”

He paused, bringing his hand to his chin as he turned his gaze upward.

“… political treaty.”

Jane’s stomach twisted at the phrase, worried of the “terms” such a snake could conjure.

“Simply accompany my friends and me to a pleasant spot but a minute or so from here and let us enjoy your company for but a few minutes.”

Jane realized what Edwin meant by those words – while she was inexperienced she wasn’t naïve. Her gaze fell on his band of followers, disgust visible on her face.

“Or, if you prefer a much more in depth and one on one exchange, it can be but a simple discussion between the two of us: I can share with you my views and knowledge on political life in this city and you can reciprocate in kind. Oh, but you are inexperienced I know, which is why I won’t go too far into how to get by in such a cruel world.

Jane felt spikes of fear twirling through her heart, her blood starting to pump and time starting to slow. This fear, the fear to either fight or flee. She knew she could do either, and yet… feared the consequences of either action. A third option did lie before her, but that she also feared.

Fear wasn’t all she felt though, as she continued to glare at the man in front of here, hate started to take its place. She felt her magic stirring even as her eyes focused on the man, his form and figure, drinking in the sight of him to mark in her mind. The man then spoke, almost as though he was reading these very thoughts:

“Also, I should let you know I detest magic so. It’s so heartbreaking to hear of such great minds falling prey to promises of power and being corrupted by dark arts – it would be a shame to hear of any proud, noble women wasting such potential. I would prefer to keep it out of our conversation.”

The hate within her grew more than ever now, but was held in place by reason alone. She knew any outcome from this would be substantially less than perfect… the question now was which outcome was she willing to endure?

Voting:
Primary Vote: What does Jane do?

A) Agree to accompany Edwin and his friends.
B) Accept Edwin’s instruction on how to “Survive in the political world”.
C) Threaten Edwin and the group in order to escape.
D) Try and talk your way out of or change up the situation by saying... (Charisma/Diplomacy/Seduction)
E) Attack anyway, regardless of the consequences.
F) Flee.

X) Other

Z) Minor Action

Secondary Vote: Even though Jane is wearing what would be expected of nobles today, how does Jane prefer to dress?

You guys can go ahead and continue to leave input for this decision if you care to do so as it hasn’t exactly reached a deadline.

A) As she is now/a more feminine style – a noble female’s normal wear is fine for her (Will include skirts, basques that connect to stockings, blouses, leggings, and things typical of a noble/upper class woman.
B) A mix – can include skirts, pants, shirts of many variations, and overall is just comfortable with whatever. She likes to strike a balance between a noble’s classic look and casual wear of the average citizen.
C) Tomboyish – Wears pants much more often, simple bras and underwear, as well as simpler shirts that can range from normal female shirts such as blouses to loose fitting, almost male shirts. Will avoid stockings and fancy clothing.
D) As is in the picture from before (might need a small bit of help describing the clothing as I’ve never been good with it).

X) Custom – Choose. Go ahead and describe a “look” for our heroine.

Minor Actions Explained:
Minor Actions are small actions you may do in addition to your Primary Vote (A,B, C, etc.). They will usually just provide you with additional information or perhaps, in rare circumstances, an item. If it would cause an encounter or runs the risk of causing general havoc than it's best to put it as an additional detail under primary vote.

Examples are asking someone a simple question, inspecting an object or feature in the environment, checking on or using an item in your inventory, or changing some feature on your person (i.e. putting your hair into ponytail).

They may help you, but please, try not to abuse the system. Trying to examine a couple objects in detail may be fine, but picking every item off the shelf in a store can get a bit... tedious.

Jane:
Jane Theriner.
Height: 5’ 7”
Weight: 128 lbs.
Breast Size: 34d
Hair: Brown. Shoulder length. Few bangs in front, rest pinned behind head.
Eyes: Green

Constitution: 20/20
Mana: 10/10
Cantrip Charges: 5/5
Corruption: 0/100
Pleasure: 0/20
XP: 0/100

(STR) Strength: d6 + 1
(DEX) Dexterity: d8 + 1
(INT) Intelligence: d10 + 3
(WIS) Wisdom: d8 + 2
(CHA) Charisma: d10 + 0

Spells:
Minor Cure Wounds
Magic Armor
Fireball
Wave of Force

Cantrips:
Comprehend Language
Material Shift
Create Light

Skills/Passives:
Mercantile Mind: +2 on rolls to negotiate the price of goods. +1 on rolls for any perception or sense motive checks involving the value of an item.
Charming: +3 to Charisma-based checks against Human, Elf, Dwarf, Half-orc and Half-elf males.
Mana Reserves: After casting a spell, roll a d6: On the result of a “6”, the spell uses 1 less mana.
Budding Diplomat : +1 to Diplomacy rolls.

Sexual Experience: None

Inventory/Clothing:
Gold: 80 Coins

Dagger: +d4 damage

Head: N/A
Chest: Pale silver blouse.
Arms: Long Sleeves from blouse.
Legs: Dark grey skirt, extends to just above knee. Bare legs.
Shoes: Dress boots, brown, wide 1” heel .
Brassiere: white silk bustier.
Underwear: dark grey silk.

Dice Report:
Strength check – Wrist Escape:
Strength: d6 = Rolled a “3”(+1) Total = 4, 3+ needed – Check Succeeded.

Reflex Check – Wrist Grab Attempt:
Dexterity: d8 = Rolled a “6” (+1) Total = 7, 3+ needed – Check Succeeded.

Last edited:

Gear47demon

Tentacle God
Reputation score

D Well, it's time to put that charisma against males to use! This Edwin character seems to be quite full of himself, so why not flatter him? Inquire about his station and his illustrious family, the Darnel's, and fawn over such a cultured high class nobleman such as he - his father does oversee the City Guard, so why not stroke his ego and that of his father on how he's keeping the cities finest sharp? Ask what his father is up to lately and how he (Edwin) helps to do his part in the family, then inquire about his brothers and their role in the family. Generally feign interest in him to deflect attention away from Jane. It's obvious, sure, and only stalls for time, but showing interest in him might alleviate things somewhat... and then B after apologizing (lying) profusely to Edwin and assuring him that the moment was heated, confusing, and Jane let her passions get the better of her.

B because that would be the best way, in my opinion, to handle the situation intelligently. This Edwin character can be dangerous for his connections and status alone, and at least making him think you have a keen interest in him will help Jane dodge some problems later... and possibly create an opening to strike back at Edwin. As he said it is a cruel world, of slights and repercussions, and there is always a repercussion... even if you believe to have the upper hand >:p

Last edited:

Iwanako

Mystic Girl
Reputation score

Other:

Edwin seems to be the "leader" of the sorry group of thugs, so setting him on fire would probably scatter the rest. But, because RNG is RNG, start shouting for attention(Thieves, fire, whatever) just to attract guards and/or witnesses.

Ergo: Cast Fireball on Edwin and shout with an aim to attract as much attention as possible.

Reason for fireball? You, being a noble, would certainly have all rights to preserve your dignity in the face of such obvious thugs. And if the leader of those thugs happened to die, then that's just a "shame".

Minerve

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Other:

Edwin seems to be the "leader" of the sorry group of thugs, so setting him on fire would probably scatter the rest. But, because RNG is RNG, start shouting for attention(Thieves, fire, whatever) just to attract guards and/or witnesses.

Ergo: Cast Fireball on Edwin and shout with an aim to attract as much attention as possible.

Reason for fireball? You, being a noble, would certainly have all rights to preserve your dignity in the face of such obvious thugs. And if the leader of those thugs happened to die, then that's just a "shame".
^

Just that I'm not so sure that the consequences will be as easy and nice as you think, pal, but I'm pretty certain it's the best option we have.

And I'm still voting C about her dressing.

Diagasvesle

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

D Well, it's time to put that charisma against males to use! This Edwin character seems to be quite full of himself, so why not flatter him? Inquire about his station and his illustrious family, the Darnel's, and fawn over such a cultured high class nobleman such as he - his father does oversee the City Guard, so why not stroke his ego and that of his father on how he's keeping the cities finest sharp? Ask what his father is up to lately and how he (Edwin) helps to do his part in the family, then inquire about his brothers and their role in the family. Generally feign interest in him to deflect attention away from Jane. It's obvious, sure, and only stalls for time, but showing interest in him might alleviate things somewhat... and then B after apologizing (lying) profusely to Edwin and assuring him that the moment was heated, confusing, and Jane let her passions get the better of her.

B because that would be the best way, in my opinion, to handle the situation intelligently. This Edwin character can be dangerous for his connections and status alone, and at least making him think you have a keen interest in him will help Jane dodge some problems later... and possibly create an opening to strike back at Edwin. As he said it is a cruel world, of slights and repercussions, and there is always a repercussion... even if you believe to have the upper hand >:p
I personally like this one because it shows that Jane has her training.

AngelEater

Sex Demon
Reputation score

F while guard may probably be on Edwin's side (his father controls military) i think best idea is just to flee. If they manage to catch Jane try going with B

xaero

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

Other:

sounds like a fun way to deal with a thug. (if Edwin is 'accidentally' maimed in the face he wouldn't be recognizable and so his family might not retaliate.)

moonblack

Evard's Tentacles of Forced Intrusion
Reputation score

This guy and his friends can't be trusted, and threatening them is not very likely to work - they seem too confident that they have the upper hand. In this case attack seems to be the best defense. So:
First distract them by talking: Make it seem like Jane is scared, try to pretend that she's willing to go with them, maybe even show interest in the group's leader. Then, when they have lowered their guard, fireball the leader.

nightshade99

Evard's Tentacles of Forced Intrusion
Reputation score

F.
Killing him, the son of a noble family/politician, in the open is not the smartest idea.

Gear47demon

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Killing him, the son of a noble family/politician, in the open is not the smartest idea.
I fully agree - maiming or killing him in cold-blood, in public, when he's not actively attacking you is attempted murder and/or murder (Edwin is really only harassing you... which I believe he can follow up on, but that is beside the point). Nothing good will come from that, and it will come down on both Jane and her father since it seems that things one family member does is reflected on the family as a whole in this upper-class society. If we're going to be using any spells, I would instead use the threat of chanting any spells without casting any, just to scare the bastards since they don't seem to have any magical aptitude. Not to mention should Edwin survive he can just use it to his advantage.

1Cyka

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

I must agree! It seems like this guy got connections that may come back to fuck us (literally) later if we were to get on his bad side. I say we go with the group and hope they dont do much. If they do then we fireball him in private so if we kill him we intimidate thefriends in to never reporting or perhaps trying to use a little charm on him and get on his good side. I say sucking a little dick worth avoiding political shitstorm. Gear choice seems Fine but also ass a fireball oncevwere back behind building or alley.

Welcome back too!!:D

tomaito89

Sex Demon
Reputation score

It would be great if magic armor could be used as a chastity device of sorts. Does it have a physical effect? Or does it just make you more resistant to damage?

Anyway, I say put all those extra charm points to use. Apologize again, talk about how handsome he is (was), convince him to speak with you in private - away from leering eyes... then wave of force to his groin. Let's see him explain that to his father. tl;dr - I vote D.

OP
Cevrik777

Cevrik777

Sex Demon
Reputation score

Well, this one seems to have quite a bit less unanimity, doesn’t it?

I totaled together what we have so far and I just wanted to let you know when I’ll be locking in (When I get back home tonight in about 12-16 hours) and begin writing the next section and double-checking that I understand votes a little better now.

Also, Taimto: It’s more of a resistance to damage: think reactive armor in a way, that it affects only hits with an object or damaging spells. Sorry, but if I let you guys use it as a chastity device it would be a bit too easy ;)

Gear: D into B
Røse: E/X – I have you down as mostly “E” for tallying reasons.
Minerve: E/X (Echoing Rose’s option)
Diagas: D into B (Echoing Gear’s option)
Angel: F (Fallback B)
Xaero: E/X (Echoing Rose)
Moon: D into E
Nightshade: F
Kasei: D (Fallback F)
Cyka: D into B (I assume your echoing Gear’s option)
Tomaito: D into E
So far it seems people want to Attack, go with him in order to lure him into a private area, try and charm him, or flee. Quite a bit of difference in the votes, and some of which take place only if certain things happen. I’m only going to take the immediate situation into account as far as voting tallying votes.

Note, that I will strive to let you guys take options at key points and try and let you reverse the direction events are flowing if you so choose. That is to say, for example, if Jane lured him into private so it was the two of them, I would not make the entire event play out and then give you guys a vote – Say, to either go ahead and take the "course" or Fireball him. I will always try and let you guys vote and have Jane either go with the events as they are or take a different course of action.

As they stand now, the votes for a first course of action are such:

D = 6 Votes
Gear’s “D”(Charm): 3
Distraction (Moon): 1
Just “D” (Kasei): 1
Lure into Private (Tomaito): 1

E = 3 Votes
Rose’s “E”: 3

F = 2 Votes
Run away (Night & Angel): 2
I’ll leave this here and hope everyone has a chance to look over it over the course of the day. As the vote stands now, I will go with Gear’s D, as while it is only 3 votes, it is the most voted for option in a winning category.

Last edited:

tomaito89

Sex Demon
Reputation score

Oh boy. I read "Distraction (Moon)" as "distract the group by mooning them". A course of action which is practically guaranteed to backfire...