What's new

ACT [Datanony] Labcoax - 2d H-platformer [updated 2014-03-09]

FruitSmoothie

Tentacle God
Reputation score
Re: Labcoax - 2d H-platformer [updated 2014-03-09]

Haven't seen this game before, but I'm definitely glad that someone posted here so that it appeared on the frontpage, stealing my attention. Great little gemo so far! Can't help but notice though that the last update was over three months ago. Is the project still active?

Edit: Whelp, just noticed that damn near every update has been half a year apart from each other. Guess we can expect a new update around October then? :<
The enemies in the mockup look amazing though. Almost makes me wish I didn't see it until it was actually finished, or at least had some more of those enemies in it.
Now you get to wait like all the rest of us, ohoho.

ServerSurfer

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

It's October, the other game seems to be in production, and is looking good. I don't think we'll see an update for this one yet for a while longer.

FruitSmoothie

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Good to see he's still working on something. His games have a lot of potential, hope he doesn't fall into the pit of forever-not-finishing-games.

OP
datanony

datanony

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score

It's October, the other game seems to be in production, and is looking good. I don't think we'll see an update for this one yet for a while longer.
Yeah, I won't revisit Labcoax for a long time. Maybe I should just put whatever that's been added since v0.5 as an update as proper closure, but that would be a little after the newer game's demo. Hopefully I can get that out by tomorrow.

Good to see he's still working on something. His games have a lot of potential, hope he doesn't fall into the pit of forever-not-finishing-games.
You and me both. The pit is dark and full of terrors.

textbook703

Evard's Tentacles of Forced Intrusion
Reputation score

Is it boring? Hard? What is the primary barrier to completing a game with as much potential as Labcoax?

Large, high-quality sprites; english-fluent developer with experience playing h-games... I'm just pouting, though. I guess I just lament the passing of one of those brief interactions wherein you enjoyed producing something I enjoyed playing.

:(

HentaiProdigy

Cthulhu
Reputation score

Is it boring? Hard? What is the primary barrier to completing a game with as much potential as Labcoax?

Large, high-quality sprites; english-fluent developer with experience playing h-games... I'm just pouting, though. I guess I just lament the passing of one of those brief interactions wherein you enjoyed producing something I enjoyed playing.

I feel you. I just found this pretty recently, and didn't even get to see a single update come along before it was abandoned... but even though it's a great game with great potential, that greatness and its potential would most likely fade if he completely lost his will to continue making it. Might as well move on to something he enjoys instead, so as to not ruin his motivation and enthusiasm completely.

OP
datanony

datanony

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score

I greatly underestimated the amount of work, skill and planning required to make a platformer work. Having just dived in like that, I created a great mess of a code that hindered my efficiency to progress. I had to retrace my steps everytime I want to make a change, which dulled my mind. Generally not a great time. :(

Anyhow I'm glad you enjoyed Labcoax, hopefully my future games will be just as enjoyable if I continue making. Speaking of which I just put up .

I feel you. I just found this pretty recently, and didn't even get to see a single update come along before it was abandoned... but even though it's a great game with great potential, that greatness and its potential would most likely fade if he completely lost his will to continue making it. Might as well move on to something he enjoys instead, so as to not ruin his motivation and enthusiasm completely.
Ah sorry about that. Hopefully the newer game can make it up to you.

krisslanza

Lurker
Reputation score

Best of luck to your new game! I know how it feels to get bogged down in something that isn't progressing... I'm kind of going through that a bit myself, waiting on art assets when the coder is working fast and I can't even start the writing...

glacier

Mystic Girl
Reputation score

I tried the new AoD demo. The movement/controls felt sluggish, but the swordfighting was conceptually interesting. Moving around, trying to find an opening to strike while dodging out of enemy attacks was fun.

OP
datanony

datanony

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score

I tried the new AoD demo. The movement/controls felt sluggish, but the swordfighting was conceptually interesting. Moving around, trying to find an opening to strike while dodging out of enemy attacks was fun.
Future updates will allow the buying of upgrades with in-game currency obtained by killing enemies. Few of them will give a speed boost.

e.g. Gain 20% speed after 3 successive kills. Getting hit will reset this.

Yeah, those sorta things.

ServerSurfer

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

Just save your material datanony. Right now your code might be a mess, but eventually you'll be able to recode from scratch and just import the material. I can see you eventually getting back into a smoother process when remaking labcoax.

I wish I had learned C coding and all it's variations. Otherwise I would of helped you. Unfortunately I don't even remember my old days of DOS and HTML coding.

maho

Demon Girl
Reputation score

good luck datanony! I liked labcoax, the new game is not of my taste but its a good game.
I dream with a labcoax reworked........I dream...
GL and most important have fun~

ombre vengeresse

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

Good luck on your new game, although I hope to see labcoax. Create a game alone is always hard.

lustfulillumination

Demon Girl
Reputation score

Uuuhh great thing! I like this pixel awesomeness. It kinda reminds me on Parasite In City. I really need to try your game out! Thanks for the posting.

turbotoucher

Demon Girl
Reputation score

Not trying to be a dick but, why the fuck did you leave this project in the dust?!?! It has great potential, is super hot, and is actually really fun. AoD is great don't get me wrong but I really wish you would have finished Labcoax :(

Soljer13

Tentacle Monster
Reputation score

Not trying to be a dick but, why the fuck did you leave this project in the dust?!?! It has great potential, is super hot, and is actually really fun. AoD is great don't get me wrong but I really wish you would have finished Labcoax :(
He got developers block or something on labcoax, and decided to make a much simpler game in the meantime. He said he'd get back to labcoax after finishing Arena of Audacia. I sincerely hope he does because I enjoy metroidvania platformers more and the enemie featured in labcoax previews where all up my alley.

FruitSmoothie

Tentacle God
Reputation score

I preferred this too, enemies were amazing. In his other thread he mentioned that poor code was piling up, seems the game was just too ambitious for his current skills. I'm glad he focused on something smaller first. That's a problem I see with a lot of devs, set their sights too high. I can see how it's easy to do. Most don't learn their lesson and forever end up with half finished games, so it's good that he's already noticed it's an issue.

More than returning to this game immediately, I hope he finishes the Arena game and continues improving/making more games. Having the experience of finishing a project seems incredibly important.

OP
datanony

datanony

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score

... I really wish you would have finished Labcoax :(
You and me both. Alas I was way over my head :(

I sincerely hope he does because I enjoy metroidvania platformers more and the enemie featured in labcoax previews where all up my alley.
Actually just fired up the project files and peered into the asset files. Not to raise anyone's hopes but there's actually quite the bit that didn't make it into a playable alpha demo.

I preferred this too, enemies were amazing. In his other thread he mentioned that poor code was piling up, seems the game was just too ambitious for his current skills. I'm glad he focused on something smaller first. That's a problem I see with a lot of devs, set their sights too high. I can see how it's easy to do. Most don't learn their lesson and forever end up with half finished games, so it's good that he's already noticed it's an issue.

More than returning to this game immediately, I hope he finishes the Arena game and continues improving/making more games. Having the experience of finishing a project seems incredibly important.
Arena of Audacia is at v0.7 now, not far from v1.0 but they always say the last 10% is the hardest to push. Can't wait to finally put down all that hours resting on my shoulders, constantly reminding me that it's all for naught if I don't finish something.

In any case, I would be a total fool to let all that Labcoax assets go unused. Also, always happy to hear there is still interest for this game.

textbook703

Evard's Tentacles of Forced Intrusion
Reputation score

lol the first of those sprites is like a creature genetically enhanced and laboratory-made to be the ultimate table flipping machine

Also I will pay you ONE TRILLION DOLLARS to (animate and) release that spider animation... Especially if it includes inflation.

no I won't I can't even pay for food lol

Captainstarfish

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score

lol the first of those sprites is like a creature genetically enhanced and laboratory-made to be the ultimate table flipping machine

Also I will pay you ONE TRILLION DOLLARS to (animate and) release that spider animation... Especially if it includes inflation.

no I won't I can't even pay for food lol
In any case, I would be a total fool to let all that Labcoax assets go unused. Also, always happy to hear there is still interest for this game.
I have no qualms with paying a decent sum for a sprite gallery including some of the new stuff and posting it here for everyone, just saying.