What's new

Frequently Asked Questions and Problems (Tech Questions Go Here!)

zipetya

Evard's Tentacles of Forced Intrusion
Reputation score
Re: Frequently Asked Questions and Problems (Tech Questions Go Here!)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EDIT:
OK I give up finding the h-code for agth or ith.

So, I use alternative by hooking to memory directly.

You need following software.
- CheatEngine ->
- Hook Any Text ->
- [Optional] Translation Aggregator ->

First, see tutorial how to use Hook Any Text ->

Don't worry about how to find text's memory address.
Download attach .zip file. zip contain CheatEngine file which has text address.
Shit! This is great!!
Tried this method on level1's BADENDHOSPITAL immediately, and found a sort-of working block in the memory! Damn! :D

There are at least 3 different threads for the different texts showing up in-game for it. Hope they will implement a feature to somehow 'monitor' more than only one memory block.
EDIT: scratch that, only works with the dialogue textbox. Which is still pretty awesome, though!

Thx for the find!

Last edited:

Sakrilas

Demon Girl
Reputation score
Trimming down the weight

Is there an application somewhere that deletes unnecessary files from RPG Maker games?

Some companies like to make their games to not depend on downloading RTP. That is, they pretty much insert all the "common files" from the RTP into their game folder. In the end, their games end up taking hundreds of Mb more than if they had just their own content in the folder.

Is there a way to quickly clean those folders? Since I have the different RTPs installed in my computer, I imagine it wouldn't cause any side-effect to the game, right?

kvier

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

I guess it's because the font files are in .fon format, and since Linux doesn't read these files at all
Wine does support FONs. ... although I admit I don't know how it works. Since you're using Mint, look in the fonts-wine package to find a pile of FONs and a few TTFs.

Regarding WOLF RPG, their games crash when interacting with certain stuff (a certain item, cutscene, etc). Since the engine is built around events I imagine there's something there that causes these errors, but there's truly little info documenting their performance and issues on Linux much less how to fix it.
A number of games—I don't remember if Wolf engine ones count, but certainly ones based on Nscripter or Kirikiri—usually require that you use the ja_JP.EUC_JP locale (instead of your default country_LANGUAGE.UTF-8)

dpaidmdpy

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

I have my locale set to japan. I downloaded the japan language pack and then downloaded the rtp 2000 but when I select the language in my ime settings it gives me multiple options. Hiragana, full width katagana, full width alphanumeric, half width katagana, half with alpha numeric. Do I need to have a specific one of these set?

Darthan

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

I have my locale set to japan. I downloaded the japan language pack and then downloaded the rtp 2000 but when I select the language in my ime settings it gives me multiple options. Hiragana, full width katagana, full width alphanumeric, half width katagana, half with alpha numeric. Do I need to have a specific one of these set?
It sounds like you are trying to change your actual computer's language to Japanese which is unnecessary. As long as your non-unicode locale is set to Japanese you will be fine.

What game are you having problems with?

zipetya

Reputation score

... to do what? Create a document using Japanese characters?

If you want (Japanese)h-games to run / their downloaded archives to decompress without filename errors or files missing, having your system locale in Japanese is more than enough 99,875% of the time.
You ARE talking about system locale (under the 'Administrative' tab, 'Language for non-Unicode programs') and NOT location and/or format set to Japan/Japanese, right??

getoverhere8

Reputation score

Doing it while using japanese local setting ?
That could be the reason.
If already doing it, try to re download it in japanese local setting. The rtp might have been damage during the download (rare but it happen).
I have this exact same problem. Really I tried a thousand times and reset my computer, get programs to run in jap locale but it fails to run.

Every time I run it, most of the text is "?????????" and it crashes at 44%.

EDIT: I have even tried downloading with another search engine, still the same result.
I have extracted the file with Ntleas and renamed the folder to avoid syntax error at run, tho it has a syntax error when it reaches 44%.

Last edited:

zipetya

Reputation score

I have this exact same problem. Really I tried a thousand times and reset my computer, get programs to run in jap locale but it fails to run.

Every time I run it, most of the text is "?????????" and it crashes at 44%.

EDIT: I have even tried downloading with another search engine, still the same result.
I have extracted the file with Ntleas and renamed the folder to avoid syntax error...
Can possibly try downloading from place and run 'RM2K_105E.exe' with XP compatibility mode. 'RTP132e.exe' is an RTP add-on of sorts? Have no idea if the 1.32 RTP add-on will suffice by itself. Though, yeah, it's the English version, so...

Try it. Personally I dunno, never installed 2000.

Good luck.

DaBouncer

Demon Girl
Reputation score

I've got a real serious problem, and googling my error comes up fruitless.

About 2-3 days ago I ws able to acces RPG Maker games perfectly fine, but today I get this message on every single game:

I'm at a loss on what to do, any help would be greatly appreciated.

imnotapervert

Totally is a Pervert
Reputation score

About 2-3 days ago I ws able to acces RPG Maker games perfectly fine, but today I get this message on every single game:

That's a unique problem right there... Where did you install the RTP? If it was on an external drive that's not connected it won't work. Or it could be that the RTP got deleted somehow. Maybe your antivirus is blocking it? Those are the only things I can think of that might have happened. Sorry if that doesn't help.

DaBouncer

Demon Girl
Reputation score

RTP seems fine (I think), my EHD is still connected and running perfectly, and I've already ruled out my antivirus as the issue.

zipetya

Reputation score

RTP seems fine (I think), my EHD is still connected and running perfectly, and I've already ruled out my antivirus as the issue.
Well *something* must have changed in the past 2-3 days. It seems trivial, but could the drive letter of your external hard drive or the drive where you installed those RTPs have changed somehow?

Hmm. At any rate that seems improbable, since then there would most probably be an error message that the game cannot find yadayada.bla in Japanese and would refuse to start. Rather than the one what you get. I think.
To clarify, this happens when you try to start the game with its .exe file, in its folder?

DaBouncer

Demon Girl
Reputation score

Yep. Only affects pretty much 90% of my RPG Maker games.

Also, the drive letter hasn't changed.

AltairPL

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

try disabling antivirus before running the game

Sakrilas

Demon Girl
Reputation score

I've already said
I realize I'm hitting on a dead horse right now, but I did have this EXACT same problem and it was due to my Kaspersky Antivirus. Stopping Kaspersky wasn't enough, I had to uninstall it to fix the problem.

I know you've said you ruled that out already. But I'm just giving a heads up that you might rethink your ruling if you're using Kaspersky and your "ruling out" was just by the problem persisting after stopping the antivirus temporarily.

--

On another note, have you tried executing the game on a safe boot? (WIN + R -> msconfig -> boot -> check "safe boot")

It will start windows with the minimum necessary. Then try running the game again and see if the problem persists. If it doesn't then we'll know for sure it's some application that is locking you out of that path.

DaBouncer

Demon Girl
Reputation score

I ended up finding out what the issue was, and it turned out to be a host of corrupted sys32 files. It took me a while to find that out.

Fuck my life, huh? No clue how they even became corrupted in the first place, but at least it's fixed now. Bit strange how corrupted files from sys32 only affected RPG Maker games though...

dtta

Demon Girl
Reputation score

i didnt changed anything in VNR and suddenly it doesnt clip any text anymore.i did reset the settings and i have "clips to board" on. yesterday it worked fine and now its just loading in the bottom left corner whenever i have a game on and i try something new but VNR doesnt crash or anything . the circle just keeps rolling and then it stops and nothing happens...

akain

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

Does anyone know how to reliably hook text from RPG maker MV?