What's new

My Little Pony (Original title: The... um, yeah. The bronies thread.)

Daemon McRae

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score
Ok, look. I know not everyone is a fan of the show My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. I get that. But I've noticed a few people on here who are, and it'd be nice to talk with you guys about it. If I missed an MLP: FiM thread elsewhere, let me know and I will happily hoof it over there.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nunu

Despot
Former Admin
Reputation score
Re: my little pony (Original title: The... um, yeah. The bronies thread.)

i fixed your thread title to something more workable. also i would like you to offer an opinion instead of just a topic to discuss.

i expect a 400 word essay on the thematic merits of my little pony by this time tomorrow or i will be forced to take punitive measures against you.

personaly i think the best thing to come out of my little pony was that starcraft 2 intro remake which was pure epic. I also saw like 10 minutes of an episode and thought it had potential.

Last edited:
E

Exofluke

Re: my little pony (Original title: The... um, yeah. The bronies thread.)

Just another one of them overrated shows with exaggerated popularity.

OP
Daemon McRae

Daemon McRae

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score
Re: My Little Pony (Original title: The... um, yeah. The bronies thread.)

An essay? *sigh* You asked for it.

To start with, it's actually a rather enjoyable show once you can break down the barriers set by it's intended demographic. The show has quite a bit of humor and drama while still staying almost disturbingly innocent. (Except when characters go insane. And I mean that literally.) Aside from an obvious plot summary, the most I could tell you about the content of the show itself without providing spoilers is that each episode turns into a very roundabout way of providing a lesson about friendship (given in written or spoken reports by the "mane" characters).

My first impression of this show was that I was going to be watching some Disney-esque pile of sickly sweet crap for twenty minutes just to say I gave it a try. What I ended up watching was an engaging and diverse western anime-esque cartoon with characters that actually have personality depth and don't go OMG every five minutes. Everything from the sports fanatic to the farmer's daughter to the fashionista is covered here, and it makes for a well-blended cast. WHo don't always automatically see each other as best friends forever. I mean, they do, technically. But they're different enough and acknowledge their differences for their to be some inter-cast conflict, as opposed to a villain of the week just to keep the ball rolling.

The fanbase, however, is the real reason most people are fans of the show. While the otaku community, by one comparison, bands together under something they enjoy and can talk about that has a wide range of series for everyone, the Brony group is actually focused more on genuinely getting along with people and providing moral support. Instead of "this show is better," "no this show is better" bs, you get a large crowd of people who honestly just want something fun to talk about, and who not only preach love and tolerance, but practice it in full force. It's grown to the point that noone expects the community to fall apart in the 8 month gap between seasons, and there is little if any conflict on the message boards.

All in all, the show has become somewhat of a banner for people who want more out of there entertainment experience than trololololol and Gyrobowls, and are tired of posting an honest opinion and getting hated on for it. It helps that the show is funny as hell and has as much rewatch value if not more than most shows out there.

I know it's probably not 400 words, but there you go.

E

Exofluke

Despite you putting emphasis on that exaggeration I was talking about, it's still a decent summary.

I can't figure out why I would need to "break down the barriers set by it's intended demographic" to enjoy something, but that's probably why I'll never watch the show.

Now excuse me. I have a previous engagement with some zombies. Apparently they're moaning for more bullets.

Last edited:

Lovecraftiantwist

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

So the MLP plague has spread to here as well, eh? Lovely, just fucking lovely.

Lurker
Reputation score

So the MLP plague has spread to here as well, eh? Lovely, just fucking lovely.
It's one thread, and as long as it stays in one thread there's no problem. Just, you know, STAY OUT OF THE THREAD LABELED AS CONTAINING THINGS YOU DON'T LIKE, YOU PONCE.

Cactuses

The user formerly known as MoT
Reputation score

I don't actually watch the show, but I heard its decent.

lurker

Hentai Master
Reputation score

*grabs aspestos suit and flamethrower* MUST... BURN.... EVERYTHING...

Nunu

Despot
Former Admin
Reputation score

An essay? *sigh* You asked for it.

To start with, it's actually a rather enjoyable show once you can break down the barriers set by it's intended demographic. The show ... ... ... and Gyrobowls, and are tired of posting an honest opinion and getting hated on for it. It helps that the show is funny as hell and has as much rewatch value if not more than most shows out there.

I know it's probably not 400 words, but there you go.
yes your essay is 400 words long, however you wrote an essay on subculture analisis instead of thematic motifes.

WithdrawnWings

Demon Girl
Reputation score

yes your essay is 400 words long, however you wrote an essay on subculture analisis instead of thematic motifes.
That's gotta suck to write that much and be off topic.

Nunu

Despot
Former Admin
Reputation score

Ummm... only youths think 400 words is a lot. 4000 words is a lot, 400 is a breeze.

WithdrawnWings

Demon Girl
Reputation score

Ummm... only youths think 400 words is a lot. 4000 words is a lot, 400 is a breeze.
4,000 is a lot, but when you attention span is short like mine, everything is a lot.

Nunu

Despot
Former Admin
Reputation score

just sayin. if you go round claiming a 400 word essay is a lot people might question your age... or if you graduated from highschool.

WithdrawnWings

Demon Girl
Reputation score

just sayin. if you go round claiming a 400 word essay is a lot people might question your age... or if you graduated from highschool.
Nope, I graduated....somehow > - >

Copper

Lurker
Reputation score

Apparently, one of my gaming group has stumbled upon FiM and actually enjoys it. I remember the original cartoon (Old Copper is Old.) and when the MOVIE came out in THEATERS, so I have a bit of a hard time accepting the new stuff. Could just be my inner curmudgion coming out.

Still, every now and then, I get emails with MLP dubbed to fit trailers for freaking everything. I've seen...300 and the most recent one was for the Space Marines.

In the grim deep dark of the future, there is only...ponies.
Friends for the Friend God, Ponies for the Pony throne!

Luppikun

Tentacle God
Reputation score

All the bronies in this thread are CRAZY!

>_>

Personally, I don't know what the draw is. But I like it. But I will smack anyone who says "BRONIES FOR LIFE" or any variation after this post.

Oh, btw. I HATED the original series. WAY too girly. And all the ponies just sat around whining.

Copper

Lurker
Reputation score

Oh, btw. I HATED the original series. WAY too girly. And all the ponies just sat around whining.
Could be because that was the demographic for the toys as well and it was designed for girls ages 4-8? Just a guess...

Luppikun

Tentacle God
Reputation score

But then wouldn't the demographic include teenage girls (and sometimes guys) as well?

Copper

Lurker
Reputation score

Eh, back in the 80's, not so much. Cartoons were for kids (that is, pre-teen and under) and it was rare you found something 'mature' enough to warrant teens watching them. Far as I know, anyway. That was back when I *was* a kid. Cartoons were also vehicles for selling TOYS, so that had to factor into it, too.