What's new

Games Discussion Thread

super_slicer

Lord High Inquisitor
Staff member
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score
Re: Games Discussion Thread

This whole thing got blown as out of proportion as I initially predicted it would (which is pretty absurd). And I think the aftermath is even worse. I don't even know who to root for at this point, I kind of just wish this had never happened.

One thing I do know, however is that: anyone who uses the word "entitled" when referring to other people, is more likely than not entitled themselves, and undeserving of what they want to boot. Wasn't the best idea to start the article quoting such people, rather put me off from supporting anyone who wanted payed mods.

Last edited:

Dragontear

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

"

More mod stuff, yay. Even conversation with Totalhalibut talking to the owner of Nexus and the dev of SMIM mod.

XSI

Lurker
Reputation score

To play devil's advocate, without telling my own stance on the situation.

Not all modders are happy about it being pulled. While some were all for free mods and were angry about the situation, many saw it as a way to justify pouring more time into working on their mods and getting some compensation.

I know a lot of people don't like that linked site, but the article is interesting if only to get a different glimpse at the situation.
They are welcome to put up their own paywalls, of course. I don't think anyone will tell them what they can and can not do with their creations(Copyright laws not counted). After that you can just let people vote with their wallets. Paid mods worth buying? They'll be paid. Not worth it? Won't be paid.

Just my personal opinion is that if a mod was good enough to be paid, it would have been picked up by the devs and added to the game as official DLC. Assuming the devs care anyway. TF2 did this with user-made maps, and user-made cosmetics, so I'm sure it's not too hard for the companies to pay attention to the modding scene of their own game and promote some mods to be official parts of the game
So I'd never pay for a mod unless it completely overhauled the game with professional quality. If you want to be paid like the professionals, deliver quality like the professionals.

lurker

Hentai Master
Reputation score

Just my personal opinion is that if a mod was good enough to be paid, it would have been picked up by the devs and added to the game as official DLC. Assuming the devs care anyway. TF2 did this with user-made maps, and user-made cosmetics, so I'm sure it's not too hard for the companies to pay attention to the modding scene of their own game and promote some mods to be official parts of the game
So I'd never pay for a mod unless it completely overhauled the game with professional quality. If you want to be paid like the professionals, deliver quality like the professionals.
The problem comes in the fact that so few companies give a shit if they do include modding support at all and modders don't have to Frankenstein it together. Or worse, if they care but instead see it as a freaking bad thing (Vindictus, I'm laughing dryly at you). About the only people I know that actively care about modding anymore is Besheda (as it does a lot of free game extending on thier part) Valve (Workshop's keeping em in business), and Tripwire (They actually commissioned some modders to make some of the unique gun packs for Killing Floor and are pretty awesome devs in general).

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Creative Assemble also often releases Mod Tools to the community. Attila: Total War just had theirs come out and the workshop is not set up in Steam. Already works to do a Lord of the Rings full conversion.

lurker

Hentai Master
Reputation score

Interesting parallel development to this discussion on funded mods today:

Black Mesa (the 4-years-in-progress Half-Life remake) has created a stand-alone version of the Black Mesa mod and released it into Early Access with a 20 buck pricetag. There's naturally been a bit of controversy about whether this was 'too soon' after the paid mods debacle and there's been strong words tossed around.

Keep in mind that if you own a Source game and wish to do manual install, you can get the entire game for free still, just the standalone version is A: to support the modders and B: grants you a version that doesn't require a standalone Source engine or title to play the game.

Personally, this is the type of 'mod' I'd be all for putting on the workshop for a sold product, much like ascended mod games like Natural Selection and Nuclear Dawn. Black Mesa is a awesome recreation and has had more hours put into it than most triple-A games in the last decade, which shows through all the hours that you travel in the game. Besides, perhaps the added price incentive to fund the team could lead to more expanded content for Black Mesa as well, such as the inclusion of new stories based off the various sequel/expansion packs.

OAMP

Turtle Poker
Reputation score

Selling Black Mesa has been in the works for years, and probably should have happened long ago. It really is just a case of unfortunate timing. It's a great mod, so good in fact that I can't play the original Half Life anymore, and it's almost been purged from my memory, which is saying a lot considering how much I liked the original.

Reactions: XSI

XSI

Lurker
Reputation score

I'd put it pretty simple

If they did the work to deliver a good quality product that's different from the source material, then they've essentially made a new game entirely.
And if they want money for that, that's logical

Kinda like taking an engine like Unreal or Source and making a game using that. At some point it becomes more like a separate game than a mod.
Plus on the paid mods stuff a big issue of controversy was that the modders were paid near nothing for their work

Iggy

Tentacle God
Reputation score

I played the test fire of Splatoon today. It was amazing and well-balanced.

lurker

Hentai Master
Reputation score

I know a good chunk of you are probably subscribed to the Jimquisition by now anyway, but I feel like this episode is worth pointing out for the luls anyway

While the main focus on Yooka-Laylee and Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night, the point is the same- Developers are getting pissed off as they are kicked out of AAA devs as the publishers are scared of ideas for no good reason, so the developers are making the games that people want to make- and thus are getting a fuckton of a funding because they are bringing back the classics WITH the proper teams.

Personally? FUCK YEAH!

super_slicer

Lord High Inquisitor
Staff member
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

That's pretty friggin awesome. THIS is the tool and opportunity we need to oust the COD pushing morons from their thrones. If we support smaller developers like this instead of just feeding the giant production companies that currently hold a virtual monopoly over the industry, we may just get some awesome games (hell if we bankrupt the fuckers all those IPs that EA gobbled up only to shelf will be up for grabs.)

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

First we gotta support them. And part of that is getting the word out, telling friends and such about it. Cause the big publishers got millions to toss to Marketing. And Marketing does work, along with brand awareness. I'm aware this is partially just repeating what's been said, but I still think it's easier said than done, and won't happen over the span of a year or two.

I mean, it took a long little while before the industry got where it was today. It'll eventually shift again.

schogette

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

Blade and Soul got finally a release date kind off.
Beta starts this year fall/autumn and official release somewhen in winter.
Hype anyone?

super_slicer

Lord High Inquisitor
Staff member
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

I totally agree, and I may have allowed my enthusiasm overcome me for a moment, I'm quite disgusted with current business practices, the chance to punish those perpetuating them is very alluring.

We can't FIX the industry overnight. But we CAN take the first steps toward doing so NOW.

Cappy

Reputation score

Lisa: The Painful RPG certainly is painful. But it's also incredibly twisted, and beautiful, in the way it portrays some of the harsher cruelties of life. Not for the faint of hearted, in spite of it's funnier moments and eccentric not to mention occasionally raucous humour. Much more disturbing and emotionally turbulent than any of the psychological horror offerings of late imo.
Examples of the humour include climbing a rope waaaay up to the top of a giant dirt pillar, only to discover a hand sticking out of the ground giving you (The player) the bird, and coincidentally forcing you to climb back down while you think about the punchline if you haven't got fast travel yet. Or when you unlock a companion by saving him from Hentaispider, who tickles his weakest point during his weakest moment during an impromptu roadside bowel evacuation.

Last edited:

Lucas

Lurker
Reputation score

Having just finally read the official Zelda timeline as established by Hyrule Historia, I'm absolutely amazed at how Zelda's final words at the end of OoT take on new meaning. Nintendo really wanted to screw with a generation of kids, didn't they?

Iggy

Tentacle God
Reputation score

SPLATOOOOOOOOOOON!!! Anybody else playing?

SirOni

Demon Girls #1 Fan
Reputation score

Yeah, I played it for a bit earlier today, really enjoying it though I had to turn off motion controls because they're awkward as fuck. And the roller is broken as shit.

Iggy

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Yeah, I played it for a bit earlier today, really enjoying it though I had to turn off motion controls because they're awkward as fuck. And the roller is broken as shit.
Fuck everyone that's using the Kraken Roller too...

Master_Bei_Shun

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Having just finally read the official Zelda timeline as established by Hyrule Historia, I'm absolutely amazed at how Zelda's final words at the end of OoT take on new meaning. Nintendo really wanted to screw with a generation of kids, didn't they?
Potentially depressing little tidbit to add also.
Adult timeline, the master sword is permanently enshrined in Ganondorfs skull at the bottom of the ocean.