What's new

Gameplay?

Kaz

Lurker
Reputation score
I play many different hentai games, they all seem to have different play styles some were more combat rpg-y other were more exploring and such. Combat rpgs, some times had me forgetting about the H part of the game and focus on leveling a character to one shot every thing, which lead to not having as much H Scenes since I would kill the monster before it raped my character.

So here is what I am asking, what do you all think makes for a good H game.
So speak freely, do not care what others may think just spit it out of your head and share thoughts on this subject

azurezero

Tentacle God
Reputation score
Re: Gameplay?

I play many different hentai games, they all seem to have different play styles some were more combat rpg-y other were more exploring and such. Combat rpgs, some times had me forgetting about the H part of the game and focus on leveling a character to one shot every thing, which lead to not having as much H Scenes since I would kill the monster before it raped my character.

So speak freely, do not care what others may think just spit it out of your head and share thoughts on this subject
you could just make a visual novel, or rpgmaker game where the game flows like a story with choices

MajorKagami

Tentacle God
Reputation score

I'm still waiting for a Multiplayer/co-op H-game.

mayaktheunholy

Cthulhu
Reputation score

Make it online, and turn it into the creepiest thing ever.
Already exists, and has for a while. 2nd Life, 3dxchat, etc. Although they are "adult games", not "H-games", if you want to make the distinction. And yeah, it's creepy. I stay away from them personally.

azurezero

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Already exists, and has for a while. 2nd Life, 3dxchat, etc. Although they are "adult games", not "H-games", if you want to make the distinction. And yeah, it's creepy. I stay away from them personally.
i think he meant actual, "game" games... not just crappy fuck simulators

i personally thing a vs game where the loser gets dominated would be interesting but i wouldnt know how to make such a thing

MajorKagami

Tentacle God
Reputation score

yeah I was thinking more of co-op where you play with someone on the same team and the idea is to help each other like not end up getting raped. but I guess a VS like a fighting game would be interesting, ether way there would have to be no commutation between each other, but whats built into the game from the characters.

its no more creepy then a forum where we talk about enjoying H-games. it would take H-games to a level closer to mainstream games plus the replay value would be endless as each play would be different even if you played with the same person.

mayaktheunholy

Cthulhu
Reputation score

yeah I was thinking more of co-op where you play with someone on the same team and the idea is to help each other like not end up getting raped. but I guess a VS like a fighting game would be interesting, ether way there would have to be no commutation between each other, but whats built into the game from the characters.

its no more creepy then a forum where we talk about enjoying H-games. it would take H-games to a level closer to mainstream games plus the replay value would be endless as each play would be different even if you played with the same person.
Can't speak for others, but when I said creepy, I specifically meant the type of games I mentioned. And that is because of the level of sexual interaction with other players in those games, and the fact that they are 99.9999999% likely to be male. Not my thing.

But what you're talking about, yeah that could be fun, but I would think the cost of running multiplayer servers would be more than most h-game devs could handle.

That being said, I always had the idea in the back of my mind to do an isometric like Diablo/Titan Quest, but add H elements to the mix. Might do it someday.

barreytor

Tentacle Monster
Reputation score

But what you're talking about, yeah that could be fun, but I would think the cost of running multiplayer servers would be more than most h-game devs could handle.
That would probably be right, but you could cut on that by making the server come bundled with the game so anyone could open up their game.
It would open up the game for cheating, probably, but then the running costs would be certainly lower as the only server hosted by the developer would be the master server with the list of ongoing games.

MajorKagami

Tentacle God
Reputation score

or local host but then you run into ping issues....so this is still not an impossible task. I believe mugen can be some how played online but the H wouldn't really work as there is no real struggling against the movies. and I think fighter maker games can be too but again not sure how its done...

azurezero

Tentacle God
Reputation score

or local host but then you run into ping issues....so this is still not an impossible task. I believe mugen can be some how played online but the H wouldn't really work as there is no real struggling against the movies. and I think fighter maker games can be too but again not sure how its done...
i've been looking into game maker and i can get them to join the server, but i cant get the other players drawn on the screen, best i can do is monitor how many people are playing and stuff

MajorKagami

Tentacle God
Reputation score

LunaPort! that was it that is how you play a fighter maker game online but I don't know how it works.... I tried doing it for ROA that one with the landrays, but not sure if it worked.

Unknown Squid

Aurani's Wife
Reputation score

Thinking about this over the years, I'd say there's more than one area that H-games can succeed by managing to do well in. Many examples of the most popular H-games actually vary in design and key elements quite a bit. Some excel in certain areas whilst lacking in another. If I force myself to try and identify and label some categories for key elements, I guess I might call them...

• Conventional Gameplay Mechanics
  • H Art, Animation, and Sound.
  • H Mechanics/Gameplay
And it's the last one there I'd say I'm personally most interested in, and would like to see more H-games pay attention to. I'll explain them in turn though.

That first one is pretty obvious. A game with solid and enjoyable conventional gameplay mechanics will be typically fun regardless of how good or lacking it's hentai features are. Games like Kurovadis, Nightmare Sphere, or perhaps Sengoku Rance, are all examples of games that you can play simply for their value of being enjoyable as regular games. It takes skill and good design to pull off, but if you can nail this in a game, you're on pretty solid ground. Conventional gameplay alone though, can't make a truely great H-game.

The most obvious and direct ways to mark a game as an h-game, is of course, hentai art and animation. Good general graphics help a lot, but it's even more crucial for an h-game to make sure the erotic elements of the visuals do their job. This can be either general character art style and design, in game or game over h-scenes, animated or non animated. Sound is also important. Games like Parasite in City, Fairy Fighting, or Iris Action, all hold themselves up well on their overall art quality and their animation. Parasite in City maintains an overall high level for both, whilst Fairy Fighting boasts a huge number of individual animations for each opponent. And Iris action boasts some of the best semi animated game-over screens in the h-game genre. It's of course important to have a valid game behind your visuals and sound though, or else you can end up with a short lived slideshow or movie.

And finally that last criteria. "H-Gameplay". I consider this an important offshoot of the general gameplay design. It's separate enough to be distinct, trust me. It's the part that makes the H content in the game feel relevant and exciting, and a central part of the gameplay, rather than just a series of animations that occasionally occur alongside regular gameplay, or on a game over scene. At risk of sounding fancy, you could call it the H-immersion element, perhaps. It's also the part I feel a lot of games cut themselves short on.

I'd dare to say that both of the otherwise excellent Kurovadis and Parasite in City are fair examples of this. In each game enemies will occasionally hit and knock you down. The hit deals damage to a traditional HP bar, and then the enemies will come over to rape your character. In both games you get a button mashing struggle bar, which can be easily filled 100% of the time by anyone that tries. With one or two exceptions, in both games you can also choose to not bother struggling, as you take no additional damage during the h-animation anyway. The damage came entirely from the initial knockdown or grab action. The fly enemy in PiC is an exception due to the other (fun) consequences it brings, and there's at least one enemy in Kurovadis that drains your health during the process, but that just nets you a game over screen anyway. There's not really any substance to the H-content or how it's placed in the game.

To pick out an opposite example, I'll use Succubus Nests. The game neither has the best art/animations (using 3D Custom Girl for art, and hit and miss animation work), nor the deepest gameplay. You don't even get to directly control the fights, merely choosing when to use a special attack, and when to retreat from the level. It's h-content wouldn't carry much impact if viewed outside of the game, and playing the game if it had no h-content would be hollow and kind of pointless. Where it shines despite this, is how it paces and dishes out it's h-content.

You can go the entire first half of the game, and get virtually no H content at all, spare the odd half second grope from an enemy or two. At first your party of two has high stamina, and are incredibly resistant to violation attempts, and will quickly struggle off or swat enemies from their partner if grabbed. But the further they go into each stage, the more their stamina starts to deplete from the fights. The lower their stamina gets, the slower and less resistant they are. It's your job to try and judge how far to push them, and when to try and escape the stage. By the time something eventually goes wrong, and your poor sword girl loses her virginity to forest monster, it gives the otherwise very simple animation so much more impact. For me at least, it manages to make what's going on far more exciting and extends the value of the limited h content dramatically.

TL:DR

H games need to work more on how they incorporate their H content into the gameplay. Stop trying to tack h-animations into regular platformers and such, and instead make it a central part of playing the game.

mayaktheunholy

Cthulhu
Reputation score

H games need to work more on how they incorporate their H content into the gameplay. Stop trying to tack h-animations into regular platformers and such, and instead make it a central part of playing the game.
I agree to some extent, but one thing I would like to point out:
The more heavily you incorporate the H-content, the less able you are to give the player the choice of playing the game without it. Making it a central part of the game in a platformer would mean if the player decided to skip most of it (they already fapped to it a dozen times or just don't care for the content/fetishes), there isn't really much of a game there. Having the choice means some replay value even after you're tired of the H.

I think Nightmare Sphere actually got it about right. On the one hand, you could easily escape grapples and just play the game as a metroidvania. On the other, you had a corruption mechanic and alternate endings based on it. Granted, the author could have done more with it, but he was more focused on ryona than hentai anyway. I think the fact that the player can choose how sexual they want the game to be gives the H elements more meaning.

Last edited:

Unknown Squid

Aurani's Wife
Reputation score

True, though personally I'd far rather have an H-game that really focuses on being a H-game, than trying to be two things at once. If I wanted to play a platformer there are hundreds of very good regular platformers out there already. There are incredibly few deep and full featured H-games however.

Tough yeah, the corruption mechanic in Nightmare Sphere is an example of a fun mechanic that really enhances the "h" appeal of the game. I really liked it. The animations that exist in the game are barely more than a slight wobble most of the time, but that battle between remaining pure or becoming corrupted makes it far more involving.

My one gripe with that system, is kind of the opposite to what you're praising it for. The way that the game doesn't actually make it a threat or a challenge in some manner. The player being able to choose can be positive in the way you describe it being, but I find being able to just choose so entirely kind of cheapens the experience myself. I don't mean the game should be sadistic and just force it on you of course, but I'd enjoy it more if certain circumstances in game meant that if you played poorly or made misjudgements, there might be consequences. If you want to roleplay fighting against falling in the game, you are forced to either entirely script it, or impose odd self rules such as, "If I die, I have to count to ## before respawning." or "If I'm below ##% health I'll use the life drain option."

Which can work, but it feels very artificial, and isn't always possible to create such rules, depending on the existing mechanics. I supose a nice way to help allow both player choice/control and in-game immersion/challenge, would be specially designed (and properly described) difficulty settings which change key elements. Although as you mentioned, the more incorporated the h-content is, the less easy it would be to bypass it. I'd still argue there, that if one game had an enemy that grappled and crushed you, and another game had an enemy that grappled and raped you, I wouldn't say that either one of them is less part of the game. Both need to be avoided using appropriate platformer skills (or whatever applies in the hypothetical game).

Reputation score

How would you people incorporate h mechanics in a game?

I think that the reason you see so much "platformers with h content tacked on" is because most devs, around here at least, seem to be just starting learning the ropes of making games, and programming is learned by example, and most common examples for games are platformers.

I think that maybe, if devs get enough support, eventually they may be able to rise from the "established genre with h" games towards more complex, better designed h games.

Last edited:

azurezero

Tentacle God
Reputation score

I think that the reason you see so much "platformers with h content tacked on" is because most devs, around here at least, seem to be just starting learning the ropes of making games, and programming is learned by example, and most common examples for games are platformers.

I think that maybe, if devs get enough support, eventually they may be able to rise from the "established genre with h" games towards more complex, better designed h games.
i thought it was just platformers with sprite sex in the actual game part of the game sell best

Unknown Squid

Aurani's Wife
Reputation score

i thought it was just platformers with sprite sex in the actual game part of the game sell best
Well, ask yourself why that is Azure. What is it that actually makes it more popular and appealing than a game over scene? I'm pretty sure it's not because people have a fetish for low rez animations.

For me it's because it's part of the game, and interactive in some manner. As opposed to something you just watch after playing a regular game. People can go watch animations on gelbooru or a hentai site anytime. But getting to play it out to some degree, is a different experience.

I'd say you're absolutely right there Alternate. H games are simply a relatively new and very unique genre, sticking to traditional examples, and adapting from existing games as examples. It's much more a design issue than programming or such. Creating a sexy or arousing interactive experience is quite a different from the fun, exciting or mentally challenging ones we're used to making.

Regarding the question of how to try and incorporate the stuff I'm talking about, I suppose I'll try using Parasite in City as an example. At least of how I imagine it it could be. These are just some quick ideas of course, but lemme know what you think about them.

So in PiC as is, you get a health gauge, and a arousal gauge. You take HP damage from getting knocked down or grabbed, but not from sex regardless of whether you resist or not. You can escape all grabs (except the zombie women) very easily. Game over happens at 0hp, normally from several one second grabs that you instantly shake out of.

I would try changing that to a "stamina gauge", a corruption gauge, and the arousal gauge. I'm basing this somewhat of the Succubus Nests stamina mechanic. Running, making melee attacks, taking hits, being grabbed, and struggling out of grabs, would all drain stamina. When in high stamina, struggling would be quick and more effective, similar to the easily escapable grabs in the game as is. Since the act of strugling drains stamina significantly though, the next one will be harder, and running away or fighting afterwards might also be harder. Low stamina could slow you down, or perhaps add a random chance of tripping (the tripping animation already exists in the game even). Stamina would recharge, but slow enough that getting caught too much would be dangerous. Getting grabbed with too low stamina would make rape garunteed.

Getting raped would inflict corruption damage, especially during climax if you don't escape by then. Maxing out corruption damage would be game over. It'd be worth noting that not struggling when in a grab, wouldn't use up any stamina, so in rare circumstances being submissive and taking it to conserve strength might occasionally actually be the best way to escape. The existing arousal gauge could probably still work mostly the same way. Perhaps also tying it into the corruption stat a little, so that it automatically builds gradually after being partially infected. It could also reduce struggling effectiveness when high, making keeping it in check important.

So yeah. That's the PiC I'd love to play. The differences would be well within the authors programming skills, and not really be any harder to implement than the existing mechanics, other than a tiny bit more balance design/testing. It's a much simpler change than I made it sound, but one that I reckon would have quite a big difference on how the game played, without spoiling other playstyles.

azurezero

Tentacle God
Reputation score

well yeah but i mean platformers specifically seem to do well. i dont see many tower defense ones

mayaktheunholy

Cthulhu
Reputation score

I would try changing that to a "stamina gauge", a corruption gauge, and the arousal gauge. I'm basing this somewhat of the Succubus Nests stamina mechanic. Running, making melee attacks, taking hits, being grabbed, and struggling out of grabs, would all drain stamina. When in high stamina, struggling would be quick and more effective, similar to the easily escapable grabs in the game as is. Since the act of strugling drains stamina significantly though, the next one will be harder, and running away or fighting afterwards might also be harder. Low stamina could slow you down, or perhaps add a random chance of tripping (the tripping animation already exists in the game even). Stamina would recharge, but slow enough that getting caught too much would be dangerous. Getting grabbed with too low stamina would make rape garunteed.

Getting raped would inflict corruption damage, especially during climax if you don't escape by then. Maxing out corruption damage would be game over. It'd be worth noting that not struggling when in a grab, wouldn't use up any stamina, so in rare circumstances being submissive and taking it to conserve strength might occasionally actually be the best way to escape. The existing arousal gauge could probably still work mostly the same way. Perhaps also tying it into the corruption stat a little, so that it automatically builds gradually after being partially infected. It could also reduce struggling effectiveness when high, making keeping it in check important.

So yeah. That's the PiC I'd love to play. The differences would be well within the authors programming skills, and not really be any harder to implement than the existing mechanics, other than a tiny bit more balance design/testing. It's a much simpler change than I made it sound, but one that I reckon would have quite a big difference on how the game played, without spoiling other playstyles.
You realize you pretty much just described the mechanics in Resident Evil:progeny, right? Of course, that game has been dead in the water for a while.

It was a mechanic that worked pretty well, but it does have a downside. At some point the player just wants to get past stages/enemies to get to a specific enemy they like or just finish the game, and all those mechanics suddenly become a frustrating and/or boring slog, possibly to the point they just want to put it down or cheat/cut right to the gallery (look how many people beg for save games). Also true if you happen to not like the animation for an enemy that's hard to avoid.

Not disagreeing with you though, I like that kind of mechanic too, just wanted to point out that it's been done in the same genre at least once, and that some devs might shy away from it for the reason I mentioned.