What's new

[TOOL] RPG Maker AUTO translator

Libellule

Cthulhu
Reputation score
Re: [TOOL] RPG Maker AUTO translator

No I mean so we can have offline/faster use. I'm also more comfortable with ATLAS's translation over most of the other translators.

Which game are you trying to translate, btw?
This is the one I used on the program

For me, the text after battle screens remains japanese as do the characters names in the menus, but most of everything else has been machine translated.

What's not showing up for you in yours?
try with this one ^^ you will see a bunch of problem :p

habisain

Tentacle God
Reputation score

To be honest, I've had a look at doing automatic machine translations, and for the most part, it's a fantastically stupid idea. There's an absolutely huge amount of stuff that can go wrong - mainly when the translator starts translating file names or custom scripts. It's not something that I could recommend to anyone. So it might work for you, but don't expect this to work on all games - I'd only expect it to be moderately successful on the most basic of games, really. Having a quick scan over this attempt at it, I notice the author's made a handful of hardcoded rules to cover some problematic parts, but not others, which results in a large chunk of spaghetti code that probably doesn't behave the right way in all circumstances. And to top it off, it's using the rather quirky RPGMaker to JSON converter that was developed on ULMF, and so will fail outright on quite a few RPGMaker games.

So yeah: this script should be considered alpha quality at best. ATLAS support could be added by anyone with knowledge of the Ruby C API as the ATLAS API is well documented, but frankly, until the original author refactors the code to be at least slightly maintainable, it's just not worth it.

OP
T

testuser1020

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

try with this one ^^ you will see a bunch of problem :p
There's something weird about this game. For me, even the original copy isn't showing any text. (I'm using applocale).

I downloaded the version from this user:
http://www.ulmf.org/bbs/showpost.php?p=832375&postcount=864

Are you getting a similar problem?

To be honest, I've had a look at doing automatic machine translations, and for the most part, it's a fantastically stupid idea. There's an absolutely huge amount of stuff that can go wrong - mainly when the translator starts translating file names or custom scripts. It's not something that I could recommend to anyone. So it might work for you, but don't expect this to work on all games - I'd only expect it to be moderately successful on the most basic of games, really. Having a quick scan over this attempt at it, I notice the author's made a handful of hardcoded rules to cover some problematic parts, but not others, which results in a large chunk of spaghetti code that probably doesn't behave the right way in all circumstances. And to top it off, it's using the rather quirky RPGMaker to JSON converter that was developed on ULMF, and so will fail outright on quite a few RPGMaker games.

So yeah: this script should be considered alpha quality at best. ATLAS support could be added by anyone with knowledge of the Ruby C API as the ATLAS API is well documented, but frankly, until the original author refactors the code to be at least slightly maintainable, it's just not worth it.
AFAIK, the scripts/file names aren't translated unless you choose to do so in the settings. (In the new version) Which game did you try?

Libellule

Cthulhu
Reputation score

There's something weird about this game. For me, even the original copy isn't showing any text. (I'm using applocale).

I downloaded the version from this user:
http://www.ulmf.org/bbs/showpost.php?p=832375&postcount=864

Are you getting a similar problem?
na, my original works fine =)

but the game use a way to write text that the tools lost is way ^^ he cant even make a decent partial on it ^^

and that not the unique game, but that not surprising ^^

AFAIK, the scripts/file names aren't translated unless you choose to do so in the settings. (In the new version) Which game did you try?
you have a lot of game with variable/script or other directly in the text, he exist about any much different rule than different script XD

and another things too, even on game that work, the sentance are translated line by line
but one sentance can be (is often) on multiline, that will surely give a lot of non sense things ^^

it's surely posible to make a tools that can make a decent auto-partial for a good number of game :x
but too make full... i will repeat my first post "i'm skeptical" ^^

@habisain :

hoo... you abandoned your ? event for partial ?

habisain

Tentacle God
Reputation score

I haven't tried this one - what I said was part report on what happened when I tried something similar, part observations on how the script in question works, and part known issues with the scripts it's using to dump to JSON. Automatic machine translation is a very hard problem to solve well, and these scripts won't cut it.

@habisain :

hoo... you abandoned your ? event for partial ?
Um... What? I'm afraid I can't parse that.

Libellule

Cthulhu
Reputation score

Um... What? I'm afraid I can't parse that.
(sorry xD.... i know my english can be far from perfect lol, my French => Libellule => English brain tools can bug :D)

i talk about your own auto-translate tools ^^

i remember that you tested it on a partial some time ago

reading you, i just asked myself if maybe you have abandoned it entirely, even for partial work ?

habisain

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Oh, no problem. As to Robotrans, it's still alive and well, although it won't be coming out before the next version of RPGMaker Trans (long story short: it requires features that are tricky to expose on version 3 patches). However, I'd also point out that it's not exactly a machine translation tool. Robotrans is a machine-assisted translation tool, meaning you can specify rules for it to generate translations, or parts of translations. For example, "攻撃+(\d)*": "ATK+%s" translates all ATK ups in all equipment. Other rules could be used to translate standard dialog like treasure chests, or H-scene moaning (although I haven't quite managed that last one yet).

I suppose you could use some rules to implement full machine translation on all strings - most of the frameworks are there - but I wouldn't recommend it because, as I previously stated, uncontrolled machine translation is a fantastically stupid idea. There's just too many things that can break a game in doing it.

Last edited:

Libellule

Cthulhu
Reputation score

Oh, no problem. As to Robotrans, it's still alive and well, although it won't be coming out before the next version of RPGMaker Trans (long story short: it requires features that are tricky to expose on version 3 patches). However, I'd also point out that it's not exactly a machine translation tool. Robotrans is a machine-assisted translation tool, meaning you can specify rules for it to generate translations, or parts of translations. For example, "攻撃+(\d)*": "ATK+%s" translates all ATK ups in all equipment. Other rules could be used to translate standard dialog like treasure chests, or H-scene moaning (although I haven't quite managed that last one yet).
thanks for the precision =)
i use your RPGMaker Trans a lot :D, not for translating lol, because i cant think i know enough of jap to be able to make a decent work, even for a partial =)... but i use it a lot... for a lot of thing :D (principaly to repattern the text to get better auto translatation after ^^)
so i look forward to test all those new feature when you will release your new version :p

I suppose you could use some rules to implement full machine translation on all strings - most of the frameworks are there - but I wouldn't recommend it because, as I previously stated, uncontrolled machine translation is a fantastically stupid idea. There's just too many things that can break a game in doing it.
i'm relatively on the same wave on that ^^

Exsalent

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

Ok i tried newversion of rpogram to same game than old and still not translation so this program wont translate all of rpgmaker games.

OP
T

testuser1020

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

New Update

From author on /hgg/

A new version is available on github

This one should fix the issues reported so far. There is one thing to be aware of which I'll update the README to reflect. It appears there is a bug where rmxp_translator cannot properly handle some game's CommonEvents. An example of this is MYSTIC MINE[Ver.2016-02-10]. In this game I tested extracting CommonEvents.rvdata2 to json with rmxp_translator then back into rvdata without making any alterations at all and it still crashes the game when you launch the menu inside the game. If you choose "Skip" it will work though since it will just use the CommonEvents.rvdata2 which was extracted from the main data file which does work. As such the first step in diagnosing a crashing game should be to skip CommonEvents.

I translated RJ180002 with translate all for all files, including translating scripts and not skipping lines with variables and it appears to be working fine.

Change log:
>Fix and simplify handling script variables.
>Fix multi-line translate and force an all or nothing approach.
>Refactor and clean up script.
>Add override textbox with characters which will be considered Japanese
>Harden some areas in the script and improve error handling
>Add % to progress output

Hiei

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

New Update

From author on /hgg/

A new version is available on github

This one should fix some of the issues reported so far.
There's simply a ton of games that this automatic machine translator simply will not work with in its current form. If anything I'd say that's the majority of games. Don't get me wrong I'm as excited by the potential of this as the next guy. But yeah, the author has a long way to go before this tool has anything like a wide range of practical applications.

That said in the spirit of sharing, I did find a game this machine translator works incredibly well with. However I still wasn't completely satisfied with the results. Although with the update it might be worth running again. Anyway if someone else wants to give it a go. I suggest running RJ139825 through this translator, I was able to translate pretty much the entirety of the story using this tool. However I was having issues with common events.

Which makes up a small proportion of the games overall text. Maybe with the update I'll be able to finish it in a meaningful manner. However it's like an 8 hour translation project, I'll rerun it tonight on my main computer if the new update isn't bug ridden.

Last edited:

Skorpionss

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

There's simply a ton of games that this automatic machine translator simply will not work with in its current form. If anything I'd say that's the majority of games. Don't get me wrong I'm as excited by the potential of this as the next guy. But yeah, the author has a long way to go before this tool has anything like a wide range of practical applications.

That said in the spirit of sharing, I did find a game this machine translator works incredibly well with. However I still wasn't completely satisfied with the results. Although with the update it might be worth running again. Anyway if someone else wants to give it a go. I suggest running RJ139825 through this translator, I was able to translate pretty much the entirety of the story using this tool. However I was having issues with common events.

Which makes up a small proportion of the games overall text. Maybe with the update I'll be able to finish it in a meaningful manner. However it's like an 8 hour translation project, I'll rerun it tonight on my main computer if the new update isn't bug ridden.
Odd, I always get a blank error halfway through when trying to translate it, it was the first thing I tried translating... also tried translating another game and the character names and main menu options were translated, but none of the dialogues showed up at all, the dialog box was completely empty...

Hiei

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

Odd, I always get a blank error halfway through when trying to translate it, it was the first thing I tried translating... also tried translating another game and the character names and main menu options were translated, but none of the dialogues showed up at all, the dialog box was completely empty...
I'll PM you the complete translated data folder, when I have finished running it through the translator if you want. Of course it depends on my success, but I already have the entire map files translated an backed up.

But I wanted to run it through again, just to see if the new update made the NPC names translate better. The actual content of what they where saying was pretty much as good as you can get for a machine translation though.

OP
T

testuser1020

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

Ya, from the github:

"Certain games, especially those by OneOne1 read most of their dialog and text from different script engines not native to RPG Maker. The tool will run for these and recognize some common data files to automatically skip over but to translate the actual text requires you to work with those other scripting engines and is not currently possible."

Are there any tells of when the script engine is native?

What do you mean by blank error? Can you make a screencap?

Sinflower

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

Ya, from the github:

"Certain games, especially those by OneOne1 read most of their dialog and text from different script engines not native to RPG Maker. The tool will run for these and recognize some common data files to automatically skip over but to translate the actual text requires you to work with those other scripting engines and is not currently possible."

Are there any tells of when the script engine is native?
It is not really a different script engine, at least when it comes to games from OneOne1 and ルさんちまん (Ressentiment).
Their games just "encrypt" most of the text (and a bunch of other stuff) using , which makes accessing and modifying the text a bit tricky.
But what remains, once the data has been decrypted is just a normal serialized RPG Maker object containing a bunch of RPG::EventCommand objects.

tl;dr: Decrypt TES => Content translatable without problems.

Hiei

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

Screenshot: image.prntscr.com/image/8e14b8be35c14dfdb969a886b59919f3.png
Seems like a framework issue, I just finished the entire thing in a couple of hours without problems on my machine.

OP
T

testuser1020

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

It is not really a different script engine, at least when it comes to games from OneOne1 and ルさんちまん (Ressentiment).
Their games just "encrypt" most of the text (and a bunch of other stuff) using , which makes accessing and modifying the text a bit tricky.
But what remains, once the data has been decrypted is just a normal serialized RPG Maker object containing a bunch of RPG::EventCommand objects.

tl;dr: Decrypt TES => Content translatable without problems.
Is the decryption process difficult? Is there a program that can do this?

Screenshot: image.prntscr.com/image/8e14b8be35c14dfdb969a886b59919f3.png
Looks like .net framework problem?
http://www.ulmf.org/bbs/showpost.php?p=926367&postcount=10 had a similar issue I think.

Skorpionss

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

Is the decryption process difficult? Is there a program that can do this?

Looks like .net framework problem?
had a similar issue I think.
hmm I enabled .net framework 3.5 and now I don't get that error anymore, got the latest version from github but now it won't translate at all (translates like 2500 lines and then it stops as if it's done, asking me if I wanna open the game folder)...

Edit: I replaced the contents of auto_translate.rb with what was in that ghostbin and started translating again, will come back with a reply when it's done

Last edited:
OP
T

testuser1020

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

hmm I enabled .net framework 3.5 and now I don't get that error anymore, got the latest version from github but now it won't translate at all (translates like 2500 lines and then it stops as if it's done, asking me if I wanna open the game folder)...

Edit: I replaced the contents of auto_translate.rb with what was in that ghostbin and started translating again, will come back with a reply when it's done
You shouldn't have to replace the auto_translate anymore.

By latest version do you mean the one from today?