What's new

Games Discussion Thread

lurker

Hentai Master
Reputation score
Re: Games Discussion Thread

With Eternal Crusade's publisher-mandated release date coming tomorrow, the least I can do is a thorough review of what works, what doesn't work, and everything in between. I'll probably be slightly modifying this when the release patch is launched and the character wipe triggers for that, but hey, consider this mostly my final thoughts on it.

First off, let's get some obvious history out of the way. Originally, the original team for EC first drew up some hype for this game via making what was basically a wishlist of features, that essentially boasted that they were hoping for a Planetside IN THE GRIM DARK FUTURE. Unfortunately, a lot of the original team was moved around past this point, and to make matters worse, Bandai-Namco, the publisher for the game, put it's foot down and demanded a release date despite the fact the game was still technically in an alpha state. Credit where it's due, the EC team has knuckled down and prepped as best as they can for the release.

I'm not going to use this review to shame on the original idea or other such things. I'm going to focus on what the game is, and whether what we got is fun or not.

STORY
The story is more or less an excuse plot, so thin that I can't even say it's trying to rip off Dawn of War. In short, the various factions have some mysterious reason for trying to hold onto the planet Arkhona, leading to the assault by Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, and Orks with the Space Marines coming to the planet's aide. To make things better, a Tyranid Hivefleet is descending on the planet, infesting many of the underground barracks and facilities for now, but the threat of them boiling up onto the surface is still there.

CHARACTER CREATION AND PROGRESSION
When you first start the game, you start by choosing your faction, followed by your subfaction in the main faction. This mostly dictates cosmetic and taunt flair, so feel free to focus on which one you think is coolest or more interesting. After this point, you can jump into the garrison to brush up on your skills, head into the game, or take a look at your advancements and loadouts. I highly suggest using the game's pre-made loadouts for a bit prior, as they come pre-loaded with modifications, trinkets, and other things to make your first few rounds easier.

Speaking of loadouts, let us discuss progression. Your progression is split into two resources: Experience that grows your rank and grants you Advancement Points, and gainable tokens, which most races call Requisition but Orks refer to as Teef.
Advancement Points are used to unlock various pieces of wargear that you use on your loadouts, from grenades and support items, to Trinkets that offer smaller buffs and Wargear items that drastically increase your stats. Each piece of gear does bring itself Loadout Point costs, which most classes only are able to hold around 1000 Loadout Points worth of gear.
Your Requisition and Teef, meanwhile, are used to enhance your arsenal of weapons via the store. You're able to direct-buy the standard version of a weapon via the use of your resources, or you have various degrees of crates, that will grant you modifications, unique weapon variants, and other useful items.
In addition, however, the shop allows you access to things you can buy with Rogue Trader Credits, a cash-shop currency. This cash-shop currency is used primarily for cosmetic items for your character's visual look, however there is variant weapons you can purchase with RTC to grant you a type of weapon with much more unique visual look. It should be noted that the RTC weapons are built 'pre-modded' however, so you are unable to tweak these weapons like those you can pick off the shelf, and these weapons don't feature any statline different than average for modified weapons. The big draw, is, again, appearance and look, and who doesn't like a plasma cannon with a bunch of warp-tainted flesh stretched over it?

GAMEPLAY
At it's current state, Eternal Crusade is an asymmetrically-balanced team shooter, most of it's gameplay focused along capture location gamemodes. Each faction plays slightly differently, with a major focus of some kind with them. Space Marines and Chaos Marines, for example, are somewhat similar, though Space Marines are more tech-based and focus on general enhancement, while Chaos uses dark sorcery and chaos marks to grant them bonuses as well as maluses. Eldar, with their focus on Aspects, are highly specialized, one of the smallest targets in the game and highly mobile, but don't get nearly as many improvements to survivability., while the Orks are a bit haphazard with their linear growth, have some accuracy issues but can hit hard when they do, and have a unique WAAAGH! buff that triggers if the match goes on too long. In general beyond that, many of the factions share similar elements: Chaos and Eldar both have sorcery as their support class, while Orks and Marines focus on the use of healing vials from Apothacaries and Mad Doks, all but the Eldar's air assault class all have simularities, and so on and so forth.
In general, EC's time to kill is surprisingly short considering the 40k mythos, however I don't got much of an issue with it. Remember, every time they wanna say how awesome something can cause damage, they tend to compare it to Ceramite, aka the same material Imperial power armor is constructed of. However, anyone not playing as an Eldar will probably find themselves annoyed at vehicles quickly early on- Eldar start off with Dark Reapers armed with a decently-damaging launcher and Fire Dragoons with meltaguns, which can cause quick damage to vehicles if given the chance, whereas most races will have to rely on their tanks until the faction gets ahold of a few spare lascannons or meltas of their own. Quad-Guns will probably annoy you early on similarly, as these map-placed turrets will mince through even a Predator or Trukk pretty damn fast. Luckily, you tend to only see those on siege-based maps, and I expect they will become less of a concern once advanced weapons filter in to loadouts over the weeks after launch.
Also of note is the Tyranid hive gamemode, which while it is not the main focus of the game right now, it is enjoyably fun, essentially a dungeon crawl facing off against seas of termigaunts and hormigaunts with Warriors acting as bosses. It certainly has room to grow, but it's enjoyable as a distraction from the tug-of-wars of the major gamemodes.

IMMERSION
From an outward view, it does kinda show it's original design choices with how the maps are built. Many of these facilities have roads for vehicles built in a very Planetside/MOBA mindset of obvious vehicle lanes, and the current selection of maps all feel like they come from the same general area of the planet's surface, making it feel like that if you could reach the top of the mountaints you'd see another of the maps. On the other hand, each facility you fight in is full of little details, from strange prop setups that make you question what's truly going on in Arkhona, to the general gothic appearance of it all, I'm reminded strongly of my review of Deathwatch: Enhanced Edition with how the setpieces just work to sell you into the world you're in.

TL;DR
A week ago, I was partly hesitant at the current state of the game and if it would have a chance to, well, even be a decent lobby shooter by the time we reached the mandated release date. The last few patches, however, has eased much of my doubts. I can't nessisarily say that EC does a lot different over, say, Space Marine's near-dead multiplayer, but it has it's own ideas and feel to it, and has enough potential by itself to stand on it's own two feet. Whether we will see it eventually hit the lofty goals the original team set for it or not, I don't feel too bad about opting into the Founder's program ages back and enjoying the ride I've had with Eternal Crusade. See you all ingame, heretics, knife-ears, greenskins and loyalists!

ShadowWolfSBI

Chief Spam Hunter Why Are You Making Me Do This
Former Moderator
RP Moderator
Reputation score

With Eternal Crusade's publisher-mandated release date coming tomorrow, blah, blah...
Mandated releases... Likely the cause of 70+ % of MMO bugs and poorly setup content...

lurker

Hentai Master
Reputation score

Mandated releases... Likely the cause of 70+ % of MMO bugs and poorly setup content...
Aye. Least they coulda done was give them to December, but hey, credit where it's due, BEhavior apparently can pull miracles on crunch time.

Smokefish

Needs to go commit sudoku
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Man who even cares about 9+ year old games that just refuses to die? Me I guess, to some degree.

MEANWHILE, OVER AT POXNORA, THE COLLECTIBLE TRADING CARD GAME MEET TACTICS VIDYA BASTARD CHILD OF MAGIC: THE GATHERING AND FIRE EMBLEM.

Ale and redhead shortstacks are in season now! Until October 12th of 2016 anyways.

Of course, DISCLAIMER: The game usually have a population of 40-150 concurrent online users daily, but that may or may not change as a new client is in the works. When it will arrive? SOON(tm). Along with the client a PS4/PS Vita release will come along, which might see a spike in player count.

But thats just about PoxNora in general, and not why I mention this dumb seasonal shit. The reason I mention this dumb seasonal shit is because it comes with a limited time offer of seasonal goodies. For 3.90 Euro(OR YOUR REGIONAL EQUIVALENT I GUESS), you can get a 'Poxtoberfest Pack' which contains the following:

• 1 Limited Edition 'Poxtoberfest Beermaiden' (Reskinned Dwarven Beermaiden)
  • 1 Limited Edition 'Desert Owl Brew' (Reskinned Blacklabel Brew)
  • 10 Platinum Tokens (Instantly max-levels a Champion Rune)
  • 1000 Shards (Crafting material for making specific Runes/Cards)

So let me try and break this down for you. The Limited Edition Runes in and of themselves aren't anything special, just a reskinned Common and Uncommon Rune respectively. The Platinum Tokens are nice to instantly level a Champion you know you'll be using a lot, as leveling a Champion allows you to choose which 'Upgrades' it should use. Typically Champions have 2 Upgrade Paths of about 2-3 options each, which offers some measure of customization for your dudes.

But the most important thing about this pack, for a new player, would be the 1000 Shards. To put it into some perspective:

A 'Battlegroup', or Deck, contains 30 Runes. Typically 14-16 Champions, and then 6-10 Spells, 2-4 Relics, 2-4 Equipment. Typically favoring more Champs and Spells over Relics over Equipment.

A 'Common', or yellow bordered, Rune have a crafting cost of 4 or 8 Shards.
An 'Uncommon', or red bordered, Rune have a crafting cost of 8 or 16 Shards.
A 'Rare', or blue bordered, Rune have a crafting cost of 40 or 80 Shards.
An 'Exotic', or purple bordered, Rune have a crafting cost of 250 or 500 Shards.
A 'Legendary', or green bordered, Rune have a crafting cost of 400 or 800 Shards.

So those 1000 Shards should be enough for a basic deck or two of some sort. The Rarity of a Rune doesn't necessarily correspond to its power level, but higher rarity runes tend to be a bit more complex with good-to-have abilities. There are many Factions, 8 in fact, each with a slew of Themes in them.

Themes can either be a particular Race or something like 'Magic Amplification' which doesn't care about Race but does care about dudes with Magic attacks that get Amplified to deal more damage.

The Poxtoberfest Maiden and Desert Owl Brew are part of the 'Ironfist Stronghold' faction, which contains Dwarves, Barbarians(humans), Trolls, Constructs, Beasts(primarily Griffins) for Racial themes. 'Holy' is a theme of Paladins, Priests and Shamans, which can be found among both Dwarves and Barbarians. 'Artifice' is a theme of Dwarves and Constructs as the former got Engineers/Tinkerers to improve the latter. Barbarians and Dwarves can both play with Beasts at times.

Ironfist Stronghold is a decent faction to pick up anyways, as Dwarves and Barbarians have a bunch of themes available to them, as well as an abundance of Healing and 'Cleanse'(removes status ailments from your dudes), which makes life easier for ya.

Either way, PoxNora have 9 years to it, a tiny community that may or may not get an influx of new blood soon, and is a very fucking niche kind of game only a grognard could really love. But I figured I'd bring it up as I've been getting back into it lately, and I felt this seasonal deal is pretty nice if you want to get into it for cheap.

Of course, the existing veteran playerbase are often very happy to throw freebie bulk(Un/Common, maybe some Rares), at new people. They are kinda desperate for more people to play the game.

Paladox

Tentacle God
Reputation score

I'd like to see a good remake of Ultima Underworld.
I doubt if it could compare to the nostalgia of the original, but still...

Maybe someday Arkane Studios can take a break from the Dishonored series long enough to make Arx Fatalis 2.

noman

Lurker
Reputation score

I have a PSP and Crisis Core actually. I never played it much though. I was hoping to somehow play it on a larger screen. Never happened though. I might just go ahead and play it on the PSP sometime.
If I remember correctly you only control one character and nobody else is around to help..
Crisis Core is AWESOME. Unfortunately the only way to play it on a big screen is to either use an emulator or connect your PSP to your TV. I think you are right about the single character, CC is entirely about Zack. I think there's a small section where you control Cloud instead, but don't quote me on that.

Paladox

Tentacle God
Reputation score

If memory serves, there's a small Cait Sith bit.. but I'm probably just thinking of Dirge of Cerberus. xD
Because I just barely played Crisis Core.

OP
Rule 34

Rule 34

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Volition has announced a new third-person open-world shooter set in the Saints Row universe while not being a Saints Row game, coming out in 2017. It's set on a future Earth and features a team of superheroes going up against mad geniuses and rogue AIs. Rock Paper Shotgun likens it to a single-player Overwatch.

ACTUAL SPOILER FOR SAINT'S ROW IV AHEAD:

Just how this game can be set IN the Saints Row universe on a future Earth has me scratching my head, though. After all, Earth gets DESTROYED in SR IV, and that's not set in the distant future.

EDIT: According to a comment on that very same article, in one of the endings of Gat Out Of Hell, God recreates the Earth, but the Saints never come together. So maybe Agents Of Mayhem is set in an AU? I kinda hoped Gat Out Of Hell wouldn't be canonized, because it's a bit toss.

As I said before, I LOVE Saint's Row 3 and 4. If the writing's good and the reviews are favourable, this is a must-buy title for me.

Last edited:

XSI

Lurker
Reputation score

Capcom decides the best way to do anti-cheating is..

Include a rootkit and take full control of the entire computer's most trusted processes to make sure it's not used to cheat.
Even in offline, single player mode

And they do this in a way that potentially opens the computer up to other malicious code

Capcom, what the hell?

lurker

Hentai Master
Reputation score

Include a rootkit and take full control of the entire computer's most trusted processes to make sure it's not used to cheat.

And they do this in a way that potentially opens the computer up to other malicious code

Capcom, what the hell?
The physical representation of 'sad trombone.'

super_slicer

Lord High Inquisitor
Staff member
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Capcom, what the hell?

HAHAHA Capcom: Making you wonder if konami should really be the most hated developer since 2016!

dragoon93041

Tentacle God
Reputation score

I think EA might be more hated due to the number of lines it killed off. But Capcom... I have some hate for them for their treatment of Megaman and Breath of Fire (Though I really enjoyed Dragon Quarter). Personally, I don't have anything against Konami.

XSI

Lurker
Reputation score

Another review
A positive, strong positive even.

80 Days

80 days - To travel around the world, west to east from London to London. In what is a story based game about adventuring, route optimization, wondrous stories and relaxing rides through an alternate 1872 as the valet to a well known gentleman who has made a wager.
Along the way you will need to manage funding, items, packing, and selecting the routes to follow. It sounds simple, but it is complex enough to keep you busy.

To get it out of the way, yes, this is phone game. Do not let that scare you off, all it truly means for you as a PC gamer is that even your most outdated toaster can run it, the controls are simple and they do not need to be any more complex to do what you need to do. Game mechanics themselves do not suffer either, with a great majority of your options being simple choices in dialogue. Choices that actually do matter many times, with stories to tell you that I found surprisingly pleasant and interesting to read.

You can embark on an adventure and enjoy a richly filled world while balancing your own interest at exploration and your task as valet to keep monsieur Fogg in good condition and comfortable, on track to win his wager. It is not difficult to make it in 80 days if you try and plan things out in advance, but often there will be opportunities and potential rewards just a little off your chosen path. A lot of tempting things can drag you out to somewhere you didn't intend and it can both be a great boon to your funds and travel time or a disaster. With every city and most travel lines in the game having their own or connected stories, you will need multiple playthroughs to see them all. And even then it may not be likely unless you actively try.
Losing is alright as well. The wager won't bankrupt you, and you will be able to just try again. After all, why bet only once? A playthrough will take about an hour, perhaps a bit more or less depending on how much of a rush you are in.

But then there are some things that you should probably not get very hyped about either. Racing other people? Live multiplayer feed? Unless you actively go looking on the map for them, you likely won't find others except near the start. Even then, there is no interactions with them and I have yet to notice any sort of multiplayer feed. At best there are some icons on the map of where others went before you, and some things you aren't told and have to find out the hard way(Leaving a train at a midway stop when you have a ticket to the final destination of the train voids your ticket. You aren't allowed to get back on with the next train passing by. Some routes don't let you resume at all if you buy only a partway ticket, and so on)
The game is surprisingly easy to break as well, crashing or freezing if you try to do too much at once. A good autosave system helps with this, so you likely won't have issues- Just start it back up and you're back to where you were.
But in the end, these are small issues that don't actually hold it back.

80 days is a great game that tells you a story, while giving you full control over the story it tells, with excellently fitting graphics and amazingly done mood setting. Its flaws are few and easily forgivable, with a very competitive price to make it definitely a worthwhile buy.

OP
Rule 34

Rule 34

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

According to several leaks, Destiny 2 will come to the PC, and the guy that lead development of The Taken King (a.k.a. Destiny's story mode) is also working on Destiny 2. Now, I've only ever played vanilla Destiny and liked it enough, despite its flaws. I might check out Destiny 2.

super_slicer

Lord High Inquisitor
Staff member
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

According to several leaks, Destiny 2 will come to the PC, and the guy that lead development of The Taken King (a.k.a. Destiny's story mode) is also working on Destiny 2. Now, I've only ever played vanilla Destiny and liked it enough, despite its flaws. I might check out Destiny 2.
Oooh, destiny was quite fun! Was a shame that it never made it to PC (and a foolish move by the dev/producer). I liked best that it was meant to be multiplayer, but an experienced gamer could get through it just fine solo, that's how mmo shooters should be.

Shrike7

Lurker
Reputation score

I'm still playing it on and off, a lot more often this past week or so with the new expansion released. The story is just as good as Taken King was, albeit shorter. Currently looking for a raid group that doesn't mind my lack of microphone, heh. Tried playing it on Playstation, felt like too much of a grind to get back all the gear I had already earned on Xbox, so I'm sticking woth the xbox1 for now. I like that it's heading to pc, though it makes me wonder about some of the backend stuff, as well as whether or not they will have a character transfer available. I'll probably wind up grabbing it regardless.

super_slicer

Lord High Inquisitor
Staff member
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

I'd like to take a moment to bitch about a new piece of crap the tech and game industry are pushing: VR headsets.

This bullshit isn't VR! All they've done is put the camera where the PC's head is (do they even bother to put the head on the model now?), and throw a screen with a direction sensing gizmo on a pair of goggles!

Sure their gizmo is kind of neat, but stop trying to sell it as something it's not. And stop acting like it's the second coming for god's sake!

XSI

Lurker
Reputation score

Marketing is more responsible for "VR" than anyone tech related.

People want VR, so it is easier to change the definition of VR than it is to actually make it as people want

super_slicer

Lord High Inquisitor
Staff member
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

I don't get that though... does it really work?

I mean, if I want pizza, then someone hands me a salad and says "Here's your pizza!", I'm not going to be all "Yay! pizza!".

I don't have the highest opinion of the rest of our species, but are they really that dumb as a general rule?

ToxicShock

(And Reputation Manager)
Staff member
Administrator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

What should VR be, to you?