What's new

Kyrieru's new game!

HentaiWriter

Tentacle God
Reputation score
Re: Kyrieru's new game!

How does a company like this or a platform like you suggested (Steamy/Kimochi) deal with content which features loli or shota? MGQ is one of the most popular H-games on the market right now and many of it's character including the main character are shota or loli, i know Kyrieru has avoided this entirely in his games, but many other developers, particularly Japanese ones don't even try to avoid it's implementation and many times make it the centerpiece of their game, many of them at least dabble with it. How do these companies navigate such legally questionable content?
They don't, pretty much. Like myself, they've outright said they won't work with any games featuring either content.

@HentaiWriter They make big $$$ because they're taking 80% of the profit just to act as a file host. DLsite at least has the excuse of bringing your games to an international market, but even their rates are highway robbery.
I should note, this is if they're paying you literally thousands of dollars, up front, to hire extra people. DLSite doesn't do this. If they don't pay you up front, they pay you 60% of profits AND still advertise the hell out of your game, making that a clear advantage over DLSite.

Also, they're not acting as just a file host; they're actively promoting the game across thousands of websites, websites that I'm fairly sure everyone on this site has visited or does currently visit on a decent basis. DLSite doesn't promote anything on its site on any other sites, AFAIK.

This site is also heavily affiliated with the Japanese market, including large sites over there too, but their main audience is the English market, just like DLSite's is the Japanese market.

Finally, sorry to break it to you, but in the entertainment industry, 80% isn't highway robbery or even close to it if you're getting paid a boatload of money up front; hell, that's YOU robbing THEM, if anything. A lot of large titles in the industry outright get lower rates without money up front, believe it or not.

I'm sure you can sing praises about this company-that-shall-not-be-named who are treating you very well
We haven't even made a formed deal yet, nor have they paid me anything. I'm going solely off of my own research of the company as well as the connections and marketing they have to bring to the table.

This company has no obligation to keep a developer's game at the price he or she sets. If this distributor decides to sell a game for, say, half the price a developer is on their own site or elsewhere (because fuck it, they make 80% anyways), then consumers will go to the distributor over the developer for the sake of a lower price.
Actually, no, they do have an obligation, because that's what a contract is, haha. And even if they do do that, that means that we, as the developers, make more sales, which means we still make more profits. (This is why DLSite, despite taking as much of the profits as it does, will ALWAYS be the biggest amount of sales for any hentai game simply because of the sheer mass of sales it brings.)

And that's if they even know about the developer's home-shop at all, because the distributor has WAY more advertisement reach than the developer. The scales will be absolutely skewed in favor of the distributor over the developer, who foolishly gave away 80% of their profits under the vague pretense of "You can always sell it elsewhere."
False again; the site has network connections and so forth with extremely large adult websites, but all sales are solely from their homesite and nowhere else. Again, this is a contractual thing; you, as the developer, designate and know where your game will be sold and for what price. They can't legally sell your game on other sites without your permission, contractually.

For a company with ZERO financial investment in your product, you're giving them too much power. And I'm sorry, but meeting with those guys and telling us "these people seem to be on the up-and-up" does not make this any less of a BAD DEAL. Just because they're not running anything illegal or illegitimate doesn't mean they're not shrewd and heartless businessmen with a financial model that royally fucks with developers. Please don't promote this scam.
I'm not going to continue to talk about it in this particular thread, as Kyrieru has made it clear he doesn't want to work with others (which I fully sympathize on, I'm a stickler for who I work with also), but I'm absolutely going to continue to work with a fully legitimate, not shady in any way, fully contractually bound company that many of you on this site visit and use every day and seem to have no complaints over it.

If you work in the entertainment industry, you'd know that the deal they're offering here;
-Non-exclusive
-Set where your game is sold and for what price
-Get your game advertised to 300,000,000+ possible people daily
-Get paid thousands of dollars up front and they still pay you 20% of profits (btw, most companies doing this will give you NONE of the sales profits)
-Get paid nothing up front and get 60% of profits (about as good as DLSite, but with nonstop advertising pushing your stuff, a service that would normally cost hundreds of thousands of dollars)

is absolutely insane, and I'd be a fool not to take it, lol.

As for your answer regarding contracts, no, I don't have any on hand, as I haven't signed anything. That said, obviously I would look it over and make sure these things that were already promised to me (and have been promised to anyone else they're working with) would be honored in the contract.

mayaktheunholy

Cthulhu
Reputation score

HentaiWriter, can we assume that if this does work out, you will start a thread about it for the community?

I have some questions myself, but they would be better asked when you have more information. And it's kind of derailing the thread.

As for those with concerns, I would like to say HentaiWriter has a good point, if you have any experience with business on that scale, the deal they are offering is actually almost to good to be true. (assuming the numbers are accurate)

Kyrieru

Sensei
Reputation score

HentaiWriter, can we assume that if this does work out, you will start a thread about it for the community?

I have some questions myself, but they would be better asked when you have more information. And it's kind of derailing the thread.

As for those with concerns, I would like to say HentaiWriter has a good point, if you have any experience with business on that scale, the deal they are offering is actually almost to good to be true. (assuming the numbers are accurate)
Yeah, like I said, even if they got 100% of the profits it would seem too good to be true to me, given how much you would want to pay artists for full time work.

HentaiWriter

Tentacle God
Reputation score

I'd have to ask, but if I was allowed to do so (NDAs and all that) then sure, I would. AFAIK though, it's more of an "invite only" thing though for now as they only want the highest quality games (stuff that's got a proven track record of selling well or getting a lot of attention), but I'm sure they'd take work of Ky's quality.

But yeah, no more thread derailing :) sorry!

omp1234

Mystic Girl
Reputation score

@HentaiWriter

Let's keep it simple this time so you don't have to break it down: when you get access to one of their contracts, find the part where you, the developer, set the price for your game on their platform. In writing. In the contract. Don't lecture me about the industry; I know the industry first--hand as well as what makes a bad contract. I can address all the other things you separated later on, but this is the biggest problem that needs to be addressed. You brushed over your answer by saying "they do have an obligation, that's what contracts are for", but they DON'T have an obligation if they don't SPECIFY your rights and their rights in the contract. And since you don't have access to a contract and have no way of knowing whether they specify whether or not the company is contractually obligated to honor the developer's set price on their distribution medium, all I'm asking you to do is look for that when you see a contract, and if it isn't there, change it to reflect it. You have experience with the entertainment industry; that's very good. But you don't seem to have much experience with contracts, which is bad.

As a show of good faith, I'll let you have the last word in this thread in response to this, but I agree, we should probably take this to PM's if you'd like to discuss it further (and I really would.) I apologize for slightly derailing the topic, you were just putting a spotlight on a deal that I feel is very bad, and I wanted to point it out as a lesson on what to look for in a bad contract. Contracts must be specific, and if you don't specify something in the contract, there is zero legal obligation to uphold it, no matter what someone tells you by word or written letter outside the contract.

Last edited:

atlime

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

If it's anything like the previous 2 games, It's gonna a good buy.

Papanomics

Lurker
Reputation score

It's a must buy.

Along with Anthophobia, Future Fragments...

There are many good games in the works... Hopefully.

glacier

Mystic Girl
Reputation score

Kyrieru posted a link to his revised Noa sprite in the blog. And she looks pretty cool!

No wonder the game's taking so long, that's pretty high-rez. Definitely looking forward to it whenever it comes out.

colasCageNi

Mystic Girl
Reputation score

Kyrieru posted a link to his revised Noa sprite in the blog. And she looks pretty cool!

No wonder the game's taking so long, that's pretty high-rez. Definitely looking forward to it whenever it comes out.
Wut. So he dropped all of his old sprites and recreated them?

blackshot19

Demon Girl
Reputation score

With a sprite change this drastic, I wonder how long it'll take to adjust everything to accommodate it, let alone release the game. Definitely looking forward to how it turns out, though.

Kyrieru

Sensei
Reputation score

I mean, it's not as though it's a change that I made recently. This is a switch that I made a long time ago.

blackshot19

Demon Girl
Reputation score

I mean, it's not as though it's a change that I made recently. This is a switch that I made a long time ago.
Oh? Mistakenly assumed that this was a new development. How much DID change in relation to the last demo? I'm gonna guess at the very least the enemy sprites had to undergo a little modification?

Kyrieru

Sensei
Reputation score

Oh? Mistakenly assumed that this was a new development. How much DID change in relation to the last demo? I'm gonna guess at the very least the enemy sprites had to undergo a little modification?
Well, basically any enemy that was dependent on it's size was redone. Things like turrets, and other level hazards weren't changed. There were a few enemies that were originally going to be the same size as the protagonist that work just as well as small enemies, so they stayed the same (And luckily they were enemies nobody has seen yet so it won't be an awkward first encounter -__-)

In terms of level design, it's entirely different now. Up until a little while ago there was some of the demo area still left in the game, but it got to the point where trying to make it work with everything else was more difficult than redoing it. So all in all, pretty much everything has changed since the demo. The base gameplay is still there, but with different moves, and enemies that don't just run up and try to wack you anymore.

thswherizat

Evard's Tentacles of Forced Intrusion
Reputation score

Does this maybe mean we're getting close to a new demo?

alias34

Cthulhu
Reputation score

Really appreciate the new scale, wasn't a fan of the old style, though the quality still made up for it.

Would also be interested in seeing how this impacts the sex-scenes. Her in the suit doesn't really give a good impression on how her body looks, since her suit is pretty bulky and all.

Deleted member 194301

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Does this maybe mean we're getting close to a new demo?
That'd be amazing, but I've been quietly watching Kyrieru's blog for quite a while now and he's made it sound like he still has a long way to go until the game's done, which makes me think a demo's not going to be out soon.

Hope that's not the case, obviously, but I'm trying to temper my hopes (since I've been dying for this game since I preordered it almost a year ago).

TheJester2009

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score

Always happy to see news on this. I'd rather him take his time and make something incredible, so I don't mind waiting for a while. Especially with the higher-quality sprites.

azurezero

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Really appreciate the new scale, wasn't a fan of the old style, though the quality still made up for it.

Would also be interested in seeing how this impacts the sex-scenes. Her in the suit doesn't really give a good impression on how her body looks, since her suit is pretty bulky and all.
i actually prefer the cuter ones... so i wish there was an option to pick which style you wanted

Ziza

Demon Girl
Reputation score

i actually prefer the cuter ones... so i wish there was an option to pick which style you wanted
Indeed, I kinda feel I liked the old style better. Might be that I got used to it though and the moment I see the new one in action, all doubts will vanish.

This being said, is there even a chance for a new demo before the game's release?