What's new

Discussion Sex MUGEN 2.0 General Discussion Thread

Emerald_Gladiator

Grim Reaper
Reputation score
Re: Sex MUGEN 2.0

Ah, reading more about the context, I'd have to adjust my statement: I think it's fine to sell characters, but only your 100% your own, original characters, with permission from other character developers (who have full understanding of what you're doing) that you're using their resources/characters if you did so. That being said, this is rarely the case, and still holds a bunch of legal questions anyway, so obv I don't support this guy.

And indirectly, it could cause other character content creators to start charging and/or shut down altogether.

ServerSurfer

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

Ah, reading more about the context, I'd have to adjust my statement: I think it's fine to sell characters, but only your 100% your own, original characters, with permission from other character developers (who have full understanding of what you're doing) that you're using their resources/characters if you did so. That being said, this is rarely the case, and still holds a bunch of legal questions anyway, so obv I don't support this guy.

And indirectly, it could cause other character content creators to start charging and/or shut down altogether.
The Mugen community has always frowned on the use of characters for profit since it's all stolen content in code or sprites. There are exceptions, such as when someone actually buys the mugen licensing function to build a game that can't be altered for legitimate sell with original content, but it's a fairly rare event to see someone actually pull that off.

The last game that did that, was still handed out for free, and that was the modernized Street Fighter I remake.

Akitsuki92

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

I'd like some help with these two characters. I have Bridget and Birdie and when I select them for some reason I have these errors. If someone can help me I'd heavily appreciate it.

Attachments

Judael

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

I'd like some help with these two characters. I have Bridget and Birdie and when I select them for some reason I have these errors. If someone can help me I'd heavily appreciate it.

The only thing i see is that probably you need to set your system to japanese locale. From your screnshots i don't see other errors (except that)

Shana Fenix

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score

He cannot open birdget's file so either it isn't there or he cannot read it because you need to swap to japanese locale.
The birdie one simply seems to be missing any command in the cmd file.

Tigris

Lurker
Reputation score

The only thing i see is that probably you need to set your system to japanese locale. From your screnshots i don't see other errors (except that)
He cannot open birdget's file so either it isn't there or he cannot read it because you need to swap to japanese locale.
The birdie one simply seems to be missing any command in the cmd file.
The actual code that mugen recognises in its various config and definition files is, to my knowledge, all alphanumeric text with no special characters (partial exception for some "standard" special characters such as curved () or square [] brackets and ampersand &); japanese locale should never be required. Certainly never has been for me - I tend to find some garbage text in folders, filenames and .txt files after extracting, but very rarely in anything directly functional, generally easily fixed, and the code has always been fine.

It's nothing directly to do with system locale. The first one with Bridget looks like the character's .def file is, for whatever reason, calling a garbage-text filename that your system can't understand, easily fixed if you know what to look for (I can point you that way if needed).

Birdie's throwing an error with his commands file that I've not seen before. Looks like it's either missing, corrupted, or otherwise unreadable.

Both of them are throwing an error with the palette files that looks like incompatibility with older versions of MUGEN. If you're not already using mugen 1.1, then you should try these characters there.

Last edited:

Akitsuki92

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

The actual code that mugen recognises in its various config and definition files is, to my knowledge, all alphanumeric text with no special characters (partial exception for some "standard" special characters such as curved () or square [] brackets and ampersand &); japanese locale should never be required. Certainly never has been for me - I tend to find some garbage text in folders, filenames and .txt files after extracting, but very rarely in anything directly functional, generally easily fixed, and the code has always been fine.

It's nothing directly to do with system locale. The first one with Bridget looks like the character's .def file is, for whatever reason, calling a garbage-text filename that your system can't understand, easily fixed if you know what to look for (I can point you that way if needed).

Birdie's throwing an error with his commands file that I've not seen before. Looks like it's either missing, corrupted, or otherwise unreadable.

Both of them are throwing an error with the palette files that looks like incompatibility with older versions of MUGEN. If you're not already using mugen 1.1, then you should try these characters there.
So I should download mugen 1.1? Also if you could help me fix the garbage-text filenames I'd be grateful.

Judael

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

set or unzip your character to japanese locale.
If your "system" can't read japanese then even your "mugen" can't.

Tigris

Lurker
Reputation score

So I should download mugen 1.1? Also if you could help me fix the garbage-text filenames I'd be grateful.
Yes, download mugen 1.1 (I think the most recent version is 1.1b?) and try the characters out in that version of the engine. If you still have problems there, shoot me a PM (to avoid cluttering the discussion) with more details and I'll see if I can guide you to what needs fixing.
set or unzip your character to japanese locale.
If your "system" can't read japanese then even your "mugen" can't.
In this case the actual text code in the character's .def file itself is garbage text that most programs won't read no matter what you do to system locale. I've had a similar problem (though with filenames rather than text within a file) multiple times with games of japanese origin. Mugen, however, is not a japanese game; the code on which it runs contains no japanese lettering whatsoever, the instructions and documentation provided with the game engine, and the commented-out explanations of what certain sections of code do (see Kung Fu Man's commands file, for example), are plain english text with, once again, no japanese lettering. If a character fails to work due to such lettering then it is a problem with the character files, not the user's system configuration. Apologies for the harsh tone there, but I can't see any gentler way of emphasising the key points, and they are points that need to be made.

I didn't want to go into detail simply for the sake of brevity and not cluttering the page, but likely what's happened is the problem character's .def file calls a filename that uses japanese lettering, which most likely works fine on a natively japanese computer, but at some point between the original upload and Akitsuki92's download, the japanese text in that .def, and possibly the filename itself, have become scrambled. The files themselves are almost certainly still functional since, once again, MUGEN works on english-language code. The fix, therefore, is mostly finding the broken text in the character's .def (and the broken filename, if it is broken) and changing them to english text. Switching to japanese locale at this point would change nothing, because the problem is in the files themselves, not how mugen or the computer is reading them. It would possibly have made a difference if it was done before downloading and extracting the archive, but doing so has never yielded consistent results on my end.

Last edited:

Judael

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

In this case the actual text code in the character's .def file itself
....Switching to japanese locale at this point would change nothing, because the problem is in the files themselves, not how mugen or the computer is reading them. It would possibly have made a difference if it was done before downloading and extracting the archive, but doing so has never yielded consistent results on my end.

Do you uploaded the character? cos it seems you know that the files are broken. ..instead..
I can't know about the original file or from where has been uploaded or if the text has already been scrambled from the beginning. I was just answering from the 2 pics he posted.
Then let me be more specific: If the character's files are scrambled from the beginning, switch to jap locale may not change nothing. Do you know what that scrambled letters means? well.. i dont, but to me they seems japanese not encoded Unicode characters.(give it a try at least, mosts of the time scrambled files are automatically converted from unicode text when switching to that system locale. (nothing change that a broken file is broken.). But if the text is originally in Jap, then you need to convert the text files from Unicode or let the system read them for you. The only way is to set jap locale or convert them manually. Mosts of the Japanese made characters won't work without that.

e.g: you can't play QoFr flawlessly if you don't set the system to jap locale. (due to a lot of japanese text files. And not cos the text is "scrambled")
definition of scrambled letters should be changed in not encoded Unicode characters.

The fix, therefore, is mostly finding the broken text
..the text is not broken. (at least that you don't past your days to rename your file in Unicode language, that i assure is pretty hard). It's just a language you don't know . If it were written in hieroglyphics it was the same.

It would possibly have made a difference if it was done before downloading and extracting the archive,
You can even do that later with no problems. Unicode is a language you just need to encode it.

but at some point between the original upload and Akitsuki92's download, the japanese text in that .def, and possibly the filename itself, have become scrambled.
yep..Gremlins did that...magically. The real problem is that you'd never asked to yourself why.

MUGEN works on english-language code.
..just..lol....so?

I know I am a fool, and am therefore wise. But... that means I think I am wise, and am therefore a fool. But then that means I know I'm a fool, and am therefore wise.

Logic is confusing.

Logic is confusing indeed

p.s: my last post on this matter

Last edited:

Shinkaiser G

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

he literally just has to rename the file to something alphanumeric like "b" and then change the file name in the def to the same thing and it will work, its that simple

idk what mugen you guys have been using but tigris is right. even if the name was in correct japanese it wouldnt work because mugen can't parse it

Dawnstar

Mystic Girl
Reputation score

he literally just has to rename the file to something alphanumeric like "b" and then change the file name in the def to the same thing and it will work, its that simple

idk what mugen you guys have been using but tigris is right. even if the name was in correct japanese it wouldnt work because mugen can't parse it
Yeah, this is literary all you have to do to fix the issue with Bridget. Even i managed to figure it out.

You could try being a bit more constructive in your critique Judael, no need to get so aggressive. It's attitude like this that makes it difficult for newcomers to speak up.

Last edited:

Akitsuki92

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

Um we can drop this topic since it has been resolved in a private message, thanks for the help everyone.

Now I noticed a yaoi mugen artist (or so he calls himself) thebluekim has people paying his for edited sprites.....is that legal? I knew that blog a while ago and he's made some good Rapers and victims in the past but paying to get them when all in all they will be posted on another mugen site for free download...what's the point of risking getting into trouble legally over some edits? That's like taking an anime art and changing the color only to say you did the art and now they have to pay for your art.

Emerald_Gladiator

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

Um we can drop this topic since it has been resolved in a private message, thanks for the help everyone.

Now I noticed a yaoi mugen artist (or so he calls himself) thebluekim has people paying his for edited sprites.....is that legal? I knew that blog a while ago and he's made some good Rapers and victims in the past but paying to get them when all in all they will be posted on another mugen site for free download...what's the point of risking getting into trouble legally over some edits? That's like taking an anime art and changing the color only to say you did the art and now they have to pay for your art.
-____-', we JUST had a conversation about that. Hell, the last post regarding that topic was directly the one before you popped in and asked your question. Take a look a page or two back and follow the convo, otherwise we're discussing in circles, which really does nothing. Quite frankly, I'm done with that anyway. There are more important things in the world of H-mugen.

Akitsuki92

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

-____-', we JUST had a conversation about that. Hell, the last post regarding that topic was directly the one before you popped in and asked your question. Take a look a page or two back and follow the convo, otherwise we're discussing in circles, which really does nothing. Quite frankly, I'm done with that anyway. There are more important things in the world of H-mugen.
Sorry about that. Didn't mean to trigger you. New here obviously. So what are the more important things then?

Judael

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

Yeah, this is literary all you have to do to fix the issue with Bridget. Even i managed to figure it out.

You could try being a bit more constructive in your critique Judael, no need to get so aggressive. It's attitude like this that makes it difficult for newcomers to speak up.
I've tried to solve the problem fairly diplomatically in the first answers.
The problem may have been solved renaming, but the next time that happen he will get the error again.

Last edited:

Tigris

Lurker
Reputation score

The problem may have been solved renaming, but the next time that happen he will get the error again.
I thought you were done with this discussion?
p.s: my last post on this matter
I was entirely willing to just let this die, but now you've gone back on that claim and such dishonesty really rankles me.
Bullshit. You offered a throwaway "one-size-fits-all" solution, then when the viability of that solution was challenged you made multiple sarcastic and dismissive attacks on my own competence and understanding.
Japanese locale can break non-Japanese non-Unicode programs just as easily as non-Japanese locale can break Japanese non-Unicode programs. Thus, some (I would hazard to say many) do not have the luxury of permanently using Japanese locale. Many do not have the luxury of a computer that boots in less than 2 minutes, and for those people changing to and from Japanese locale is tedious and time consuming.

A one-time expenditure of at most 2 minutes to fix some broken text when installing a rare few characters, versus 5-10 minutes changing to and from Japanese locale whenever one wishes to lauch MUGEN. And you're saying the latter is universally faster and easier? Perhaps it's more convenient for you to simply stay in Japanese locale, but your circumstances and use of your equipment are not universal, and assuming so is both ignorant and arrogant.