What's new

Space Adventure

Shadow

Tentacle Monster
Reputation score
I'm sorry, that's probably the blandest title imaginable.

But anyway, I'm doing a new CYOA! Against my better judgement no less. Don't know if I'll ever finish it, but I've got a bit of free time around Christmas and I just thought it'd be fun to try. Hopefully my writing has come on a bit since the last two, although I'll probably soon discover that isn't that case...

I also wanted to try something I've never done before in a CYOA - dice rolls for encounters. I've never played Dungeons and Dragons (that's where it comes from, right?) but it seems perfect for this kind of thing. Also, I was inspired by Cevrik777's astonishingly good Amarant: Noble's Path. I'm not going to go into all the detail of that masterpiece, but there will be stats and stuff.
Disclaimer: I have never used stats and numbers before, so it will probably all get horribly cocked up. I did warn you.

Stats breakdown:
Main stats:
Strength: Self-explanatory, ability to pick stuff up, grapple with monsters, wield heavy weap- wait, that's Dark Souls.

Dexterity: Ability to use small weapons, like a dagger, or ranged weapons, like a laser blaster. Comes into play when trying to hit an opponent's weakspot.

Intelligence: A representation of local knowledge, puzzle solving ability, noticing important things, etc.

Charm: Your ability to be charming to other people you meet. Wouldn't want to cause a diplomatic incident on an alien planet!

Sexual Confidence: Not really an in-game factor, more something that effects the text and role-playing aspect.

All stats are currently out of 10, and have the potential to increase or decrease during the story.

But first and foremost, who is our heroine?

A) Amelia. An attractive redhead, brave, and quick witted - and she's certainly known a few men in her time. Whilst she's not the physically strongest on her ship's crew, her courage and fortitude can get her through some of the stickiest situations.
Stats:
STR:4
DEX: 5
INT:7
CHM: 9
SXC: 9

B) Katherine. Ferocious and strong, she's known for acting first, considering the consequences never. Perhaps not the brightest bulb in the box, but she's absolutely lethal with her blaster, and commands tremendous loyalty from those that follow her.
Stats:
STR: 9
INT: 3
CHM: 8
SXC: 7

C) Susan. Also not the best at physical combat, but something of an absolute genius - not only does she know a multitude of alien languages, she's a maestro with any kind of technology. Short, with shoulder-length brown hair and a dazzling smile, she's had her fair share of suitors, but no-one has ever won her heart.
Stats:
STR:4
INT: 10
CHM: 6
SXC: 1

D) Olivia. Excellent at hand to hand combat (she took self-defense lessons as girl) she's sadly rather incompetent with a blaster. On the bright side, she is a galaxy-renowned xenobiologist - if you come across alien life, chances are she knows about it. Tall, curly black hair and a lethal punch - she's not someone to cross.
Stats:
STR: 8
DEX: 7
INT: 7
CHM: 3
SXC: 5

Prologue​

"Damage report, damage report!" Alarms were blaring, people running too and fro in a mad panic. From somewhere closeby Sam could smell burning, see the smoke seeping in from under the bank of computers.

"Shields are down, I repeat, shields are down!" came the reply from across the command room, Agent 7 staring at his monitor with a look of abject horror. "We can't take another shot like that, Captain."

"Understood." Sam ran along the bank of controls, throwing levers and punching buttons in a furious burst of energy. The ship rolled and dropped, sending anyone who wasn't already strapped in tumbling to the floor - but with imminent death so close behind them, there was no time to worry about a few broken bones among the crew.
The next laser blast shot across the front of the viewing window, missing the ship's engine by a matter of meters. Maker save us.

"Sylvia, navigation report," Sam shouted, trying to make his voice heard above the alarms. "Anything in the immediate vicinity we can use? Anywhere we can hide?"
There was a loud explosion from somewhere behind him as another row of computers combusted, throwing plastic and metal shrapnel across the room. He ignored it.

"It's not looking too good, Captain," Sylvia replied. How he admired that woman's ability to understate a situation. "But if we could just avoid dying within the next... I dunno, 70 seconds, we could make an emergency landing in one of three places. Planet Agnak - I'm sending you the coordinates now - or one of its two moons, Phoebos or Sedna."
Everything shook once more as Sam pulled the ship out of its spiraling descent, just as another green laser blast flew through the space they had been a second away from occupying.

"We can make it!" he shouted, more for his own benefit than anyone else's... but to where?

Option 1) Agnak - a jungle planet, hot and humid, and teeming with alien wildlife. There's only limited outposts of civilization.

Option 2) Phoebos - much more civilised, but also a notorious criminal plant. All sorts of malice takes place here, among the run-down cities and rusted old power plants.

Option 3) Sedna - frozen and ice encrusted, but also a previous tourist resort; people came from all over the galaxy to see the icy landscapes and beautiful scenery from the comfort of their thermally heated hotels. Unfortunately, there's been nothing but radio silence from the planet for years, and no-one's yet been dispatched to find out why.

omegau

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score
Re: Space Adventure

I'll vote for Amelia just because I've been re-watching Slayers.

I also vote for option 1.

moonblack

Evard's Tentacles of Forced Intrusion
Reputation score

I usually stick to fantasy, but I'll give this one a try:\
C) Susan - because I like intelligent characters (but I'm fine with Amelia too)

3) Sedna - now's as good a time as any to find out what happened there...

MrMe

Lurker
Reputation score

A

2 - because nothing bad ever happened on a moon called Phoebos. No not ever. Certainly never a hellgate opened by mad scientists, nope.

Ayu Break

Reputation score

Susan and 3

Cevrik777

Sex Demon
Reputation score

Susan - Because she's not only intelligent, but I love it when the character's fall from grace begins when they're a virgin(or close to it - not entirely sure).

As for the planet... that's a hard choice...
Agnak would probably be interesting and be a more "avoid the wildlife" scenario, but Phoebos would probably provide some more human interaction. Still...

Second vote: #1 - Agnak.

Diagasvesle

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Susy Q

3 - Because a frozen wasteland is exactly what we need for adventure.

OP
Shadow

Shadow

Tentacle Monster
Reputation score

I usually stick to fantasy, but I'll give this one a try:\
Don't worry, I'm a big fantasy fan too. There will still be a lot of the usual elements of that - bestial humanoids, puzzles and traps, monsters, rouge groups of people - just viewed through slightly more of a sci-fi lens. Hopefully.

Vote Results - Susan and Agnak!
There was a fair range of votes, which hopefully means I provided an interesting array of options, at least at this early stage. Also, even though Agnak won I'll try to find away to incorporate some of the concepts I had for the other moons.

----​

Consciousness returned slowly, piece by shattered piece. Susan opened her eyes, but everything looked wrong; she could see nothing but a twisted black mess, adorned with flickering lights.
Something clicked in her brain, and suddenly it was all coming back to her. The attack, the ragged pursuit across space, the emergency landing.
Oh Maker. How many? How many died?
No - now was not the time to panic. Groaning, she pulled herself to her feet, her entire body seemingly comprised of aches and pains. A hand went up to instinctively rub at her face, and came away with a smear of blood.
Well, at least it doesn't look like I'm on the verge of bleeding out, she thought, before staggering from the room. Before the attack she'd been working in the engine bay, keeping the reactors stoked. By some miracle the nuclear stormdrives had been kept intact and automatically powered down safely - just as well, or she and everyone else on the ship would be an irradiated cloud of dust by now.

Still feeling dazed, Susan made her way out of the engine room, quickly examining each body she passed on the way. There were no signs of life - and although she immediately felt guilty for thinking it, none of these colleagues had been her friends.
After five minutes of stumbling along the corridor, she at last came upon something interesting - the exosuits, designed for safely exploring alien worlds. They'd survived the impact secure inside their glass cases, which she now opened with a press of a button. She made a mental note that at least the backup power on the ship was working.
Slipping the exosuit on over the slightly tattered remains of her engineering uniform, she couldn't help but give a slight gasp as the suit contracted - nanofibres woven into the fabric pulled tight, molding it to fit her as snugly as was comfortable.
Now if only I had a weapon...

What she came across next was altogether more alarming, however - a massive breach in the hull, right along the ship's starboard flank. The metal still smoked gently, wires spilling out of a gap large enough to fit a horizontal skyscraper through. Outside she could see trees, rich and green as far as the eye could see.
"No sign of civilization, though," came a voice from behind her. Susan jumped, but recovered quickly, spinning around with her fists raised - only to see Amelia, standing there with a small smile playing at her lips. Behind Amelia stood Faaldoon, the ship's head of security - and one of the few non-humans employed by them. Six foot tall and bright blue, with a shiny exoskeleton and clawed hands, he certainly struck an imposing figure. Even moreso with the huge laser cannon he carried, slung over his shoulder.

"Amelia. Erm, good to see you," Susan said, regretting the inadequacy of the words as soon as she'd spoken them. Much as she might hate to admit it, she'd always been a touch jealous of the ship's beautiful head of communications, and the way she could enchant any man that took her fancy. "What's the situation like on the command deck?"
The smile dropped from Amelia's face. "Not good. It turns out internal organs are generally internal for a reason." She sighed before continuing. "But anyway, what should we do now? Faaldoon and I are open to suggestions."

----​

Option A) Scour the ship for more supplies, then head out into the jungle to find civilisation.

Option B) Scour the ship for supplies, then try and hold up for a while, allowing time to recover before heading out.

Option C) Leave the ship and head into the jungle now - your arrival won't have gone unnoticed, and it wouldn't do to hand around.

Option D) Other.

Susan:
Health: 30/40

Base stats:
STR: 4
INT: 10
CHM: 6
SXC: 1

Inventory:
- Exosuit (100%). Provides thermal insulation and moderate resistance to physical attack.

Rolls:
Does Susan spot the exosuit and realise what it is? INT.
d12, rolled = 8. Stat = 10. Successful.

Yeah, I realise now I've done the stats thing a bit wrong. Nevermind, going with it.

anewusername

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

A- If you can try and look for any survivors before leaving.

moonblack

Reputation score

A - Search for supplies and more survivors, then head out. No need to stay there and make it easy for enemies to find them, in case the attackers decide to come finish the job

omegau

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

A, obviously. You need a weapon, and should see if anyone else is alive.

Cevrik777

Sex Demon
Reputation score

A - Search for supplies and more survivors, then head out. No need to stay there and make it easy for enemies to find them, in case the attackers decide to come finish the job
I concur.

maxentius-septimus

Reputation score

A and I like the exo-suit, especialy if it auto repairs after getting holes in it so we don't have to replace it.

Diagasvesle

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

A - Let's go with A because were Logical.