What's new

[Text Based RPG] Demon Hunt: Mournholm Castle (version 0.5e - better combat messages)

OP
Acac

Acac

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score
Re: [Text Based RPG] Demon Hunt: Mournholm Castle (Alpha version .003 - No H, yet!)

Update:
Hi, All! I've just uploaded the first public release of this game. Currently, it's still just an alpha release. While a lot of it has been implemented, there's still a lot more to go!

However, I really wanted to make this release, because I'd like to hear your thoughts on the current game-play mechanics, before H is introduced. Furthermore, I wanted to show you guys that I am still silently working on this game.

Please have a go, and let me know what you think so far! Thanks!

Last edited:
OP
Acac

Acac

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score
Re: [Text Based RPG] Demon Hunt: Mournholm Castle (Alpha version .005)

Update:
Hi, All! I just finished the next release of this game! Please try it out, and let me know what you think. :)

This time, there are a bunch of H-scenes in the game! They are all either Rape on Lose events, or related to the Priest.

Happy Hunting!

Version: 0.5c (Alpha)

Maximum Floors: 2
Minimum FreeWill: 751
Maximum Blessings: 8

Change Log:
2017-04-04 - version 0.5c
-Modified repair costs for higher rarity repair items.
-bug fix: all items in the inventory show armour obligations, when only armour should. Also, the message given was wrong.
-fixed some writing errors
*saves from the last version ARE compatible with this version

2017-04-04 - version 0.5b
-bug fix: can no longer repair an item if you don't have enough favor

2017-04-03 - version 0.5

-Added Rape on Lose scenes for Monsters
-Added Hentai Scenes with the Priest
-Added Roughly 22 Hentai Scenes (or 5 scenes with 3 to 6 stages/variations each)
-Added Talk to Priest
-Added Repairing of Equipment
-Added Gain Favor
-Added Join Covenant
-Added Gaining Blessings
-Added Map
-Added ability to name your character
-Added Option to hide dice feedback
-Added Option to hide map button
-Added Character Screen
-Added button to sort inventory
-Added ability to use books
-Added Lore

Last edited:

AGamerPassingBy

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Wow! An update! :D

Welp, what am i waiting for?! Download away!

OP
Acac

Acac

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

Wow! An update! :D

Welp, what am i waiting for?! Download away!
Sweet, hope you enjoy it! :D

I realized there's a bug in the version I released, so I uploaded a a fixed version. I changed the links to point to the new version. :)

Your savegame from version .005 should be compatible with version .005b.

EDIT: I found another bug, and released version 0.5c to fix it. You only need to download version 0.5c, not the previous ones. Saves from previous versions up to .005 should be compatible with this version. :)

Last edited:

AngMyDee

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
Re: [Text Based RPG] Demon Hunt: Mournholm Castle (Alpha version 0.5c)

Hi! Your game look promising! Please, continue developing it but at your own pace. It depends on your long term goal and if it is finishing the game, you might want to find the good balance between work and everything else : )

Don't take my review badly, as it might sound harsh. Sorry if it sounds like it, my English is bad. I am French. yeay. Frenchies suck with languages.

So for the review, there is a lot of details but still, you might want to hear about them :

• the "continue" button is enabled even if there is no available save for loading. You might want to disable it if there is no file. It would be more natural.
  • Same thing about the "are you sure" even if there is no saved game.
  • Continue-C and Continue-F represents the same concept but are not displayed at the same place and do not have the same keystroke.
  • the map window can be resized but there is no point in doing so (or I missed something). You might want to remove the possibility since player will want to try and see what it does.
  • After a click with the mouse or enter / keyboard it might be interesting to give the focus to a button (I noticed some times it gives it, some times not, depending on the previous action if it was keystroke, enter or mouse and if the same button is displayed), so that player can continue navigating between options with arrows, or can know what is the highlighted action and can press enter.
  • a Bug to declare : I get stuck in the game, during a battle with some kind of a creature I get tired and so died/blackout. Sullivan revived me and then... when I wanted to click on the Continue button nothing happened.
  • There is a lot of clicks during a turn in a fight. Maybe displaying at the same time information of the same opponent (like displaying "X goes first" with the "X attacks you" text) and why not add some kind of a timer before automatically displaying the next piece of text? I don't know if I am very clear here. Sorry about that : x

And for what I like :

• The keystrokes. I love them.
  • The items.
  • The text. Yeay, I understand everything ^^

Just out of curiosity, what language/software do you use to develop it?

And keep up the good work, I am pretty sure you are good enough to see it through : )

OP
Acac

Acac

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score
Re: [Text Based RPG] Demon Hunt: Mournholm Castle (Alpha version 0.5c)

Hi! Your game look promising! Please, continue developing it but at your own pace. It depends on your long term goal and if it is finishing the game, you might want to find the good balance between work and everything else : )

Don't take my review badly, as it might sound harsh. Sorry if it sounds like it, my English is bad. I am French. yeay. Frenchies suck with languages.

So for the review, there is a lot of details but still, you might want to hear about them :

• the "continue" button is enabled even if there is no available save for loading. You might want to disable it if there is no file. It would be more natural.
  • Same thing about the "are you sure" even if there is no saved game.
  • Continue-C and Continue-F represents the same concept but are not displayed at the same place and do not have the same keystroke.
  • the map window can be resized but there is no point in doing so (or I missed something). You might want to remove the possibility since player will want to try and see what it does.
  • After a click with the mouse or enter / keyboard it might be interesting to give the focus to a button (I noticed some times it gives it, some times not, depending on the previous action if it was keystroke, enter or mouse and if the same button is displayed), so that player can continue navigating between options with arrows, or can know what is the highlighted action and can press enter.
  • a Bug to declare : I get stuck in the game, during a battle with some kind of a creature I get tired and so died/blackout. Sullivan revived me and then... when I wanted to click on the Continue button nothing happened.
  • There is a lot of clicks during a turn in a fight. Maybe displaying at the same time information of the same opponent (like displaying "X goes first" with the "X attacks you" text) and why not add some kind of a timer before automatically displaying the next piece of text? I don't know if I am very clear here. Sorry about that : x

And for what I like :

• The keystrokes. I love them.
  • The items.
  • The text. Yeay, I understand everything ^^

Just out of curiosity, what language/software do you use to develop it?

And keep up the good work, I am pretty sure you are good enough to see it through : )
Hi AngMyDee,

Thank you for the wonderful feedback! That's exactly what I needed. ^^

• Good point on the continue button and the "are you sure" for new game. I'll add it to the next release. :)
  • For continue-c and continue-f, that's a good point. I think I made "continue-c" and "new game-n" different from the rest of the game, because I didn't want their shortcuts to be too close together (f and r in the rest of the game). Even though there is an "are you sure", I think it's just too scary to accidentally lose your save file by hitting the wrong key, lol. But if you think it will make the player's experience a lot better, I'm happy to move the "new game" and "continue" buttons to the other side and change their shortcuts.
  • Good catch about the map window! That was my mistake. I'll fix it in the next release.
  • Yeah, I agree about giving focus to a button when transitioning between and around windows. It would definitely add polish to the game. I'll see what I can do about this.
  • Thanks for the bug report! I think I know what's going on in the code to cause that error. I'll look into it after I get back from work.
  • The battle text is a tough one. It's a hard balance between giving the player enough information, adding suspense, not giving too much text, and avoiding too many clicks. I don't think I can add a timer, but what I could do is add the "person X attacks!" message, the attack roll and the damage roll into the same click. This could remove maybe up to 6 clicks per combat. Another person mentioned this to me as well, so I'll definitely take a look. :)

I'm using C# and Visual Studio 2015 to write the code. =)

Thanks again for the feedback, and thank you for the kind words! :D

OP
Acac

Acac

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score
Re: [Text Based RPG] Demon Hunt: Mournholm Castle (version 0.5d - better combat messa

Update:
Hey, quick update!

I've reworked how the game gives you messages during combat. It should be a lot more streamlined and require far less clicks, now!

I've also fixed a number of bugs that you guys have kindly pointed out! Thanks very much! :)

In other news, I will continue to do more bug fixes this coming week, if any are reported. However, I have some family coming over for 2 weeks after that, so I will not be able to respond or work on the game during then. Development will of course resume afterwards! :D

Cheers!

Current Version: 0.5e (Alpha)

Maximum Floors: 2
Minimum Free Will: 751
Maximum Blessings: 8

Change Log:
2017-04-10 - version 0.5e
-bug fix: As pointed out by AngMyDee (Thanks!), if you die from being ambushed, the continue button at the end of the scene did not work. This has now been fixed.

2017-04-08 - version 0.5d
-revised some lore for consistency
-bug fix: made repair menu and map menu not resizable.
-made the continue button not available if there is no save file.
-made new game not ask you if you are sure, if there is no save file.
-if save file is corrupted, the player is notified, and the game quits.
-revised how combat feedback is given to the player. Combat should feel a lot more streamlined, now!

Last edited:

Luckcrazy

Lurker
Reputation score
Re: [Text Based RPG] Demon Hunt: Mournholm Castle (version 0.5e - better combat messa

Just want to give a cheer, I tried the demo and I feel the game is coming along quite nicely, keep up the good work! :D

Now, one question, do you plan for the enchanted/cursed equipment to give other effects besides status changes? (like regarding the characters morality or the chance of being sexually assaulted by enemies after being defeated?)

OP
Acac

Acac

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score
Re: [Text Based RPG] Demon Hunt: Mournholm Castle (version 0.5e - better combat messa

Just want to give a cheer, I tried the demo and I feel the game is coming along quite nicely, keep up the good work! :D

Now, one question, do you plan for the enchanted/cursed equipment to give other effects besides status changes? (like regarding the characters morality or the chance of being sexually assaulted by enemies after being defeated?)
Thank you for the support! :)

In a way, yup. :) In regards to the armour, the enchantments themselves only give you stat bonuses, but there's still a bit more involved with the armour itself. Sort of like what you say, if you are defeated in combat, the chance that you get a Rape on Lose scene is strongly dependent on the state of your armour (and something else). More missing parts mean a higher likelihood of a scene occurring. These scenes are not just there for the H, but they will also haunt you with negative consequences.

Furthermore, the more 'complete' a set of armour is, the more physical resistance it will give you, but also the bigger the evasion penalty you will receive. But, non-enchanted armour does not provide you with any elemental resistance, so lighter armour is arguably better against enemies that do elemental damage!

One last thing, it can be embarrassing for your character to not be completely covered from head to toe. The more she is revealed, the more embarrassed she will become. Perhaps she just feels more secure and at home in a complete suit of armour. :)

Thanks again for the kind feedback! Let me know what you think of the writing and item descriptions and stuff. I'm happy for criticism, as it can help me revise the game to hopefully be better. I intentionally leave things vague, because I want the player to figure stuff out and fill in the gaps with their imagination. But, if it's too frustratingly ambiguous, I think it's fair to revise the text a bit.

Cheers!

Last edited:

kvier

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

I'm trying to play using mono (since using linux) and when I try to open my inventory it crashes with the following cryptic call trace:
$ mono Demon\ Hunt\ 1.exe
System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Property accessor 'InventoryName' on object 'MHCDH.Weapon' threw the following exception:'Object of type 'MHCDH.Weapon' doesn't match target type 'MHCDH.Armour'' ---> System.Reflection.TargetException: Object of type 'MHCDH.Weapon' doesn't match target type 'MHCDH.Armour'
at System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Reflection.BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) [0x0005a] in <8f2c484307284b51944a1a13a14c0266>:0
at System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Object[] parameters) [0x00000] in <8f2c484307284b51944a1a13a14c0266>:0
at System.SecurityUtils.MethodInfoInvoke (System.Reflection.MethodInfo method, System.Object target, System.Object[] args) [0x00065] in <bd46d4d4f7964dfa9beea098499ab597>:0
at System.ComponentModel.ReflectPropertyDescriptor.GetValue (System.Object component) [0x00028] in <bd46d4d4f7964dfa9beea098499ab597>:0
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at System.ComponentModel.ReflectPropertyDescriptor.GetValue (System.Object component) [0x000d0] in <bd46d4d4f7964dfa9beea098499ab597>:0
at System.Windows.Forms.ListControl.FilterItemOnProperty (System.Object item, System.String field) [0x0005f] in <d5b72d15d4f7424c8a1538e3f19ec2e3>:0
at System.Windows.Forms.ListControl.GetItemText (System.Object item) [0x00008] in <d5b72d15d4f7424c8a1538e3f19ec2e3>:0
at System.Windows.Forms.ListBox.LayoutSingleColumn () [0x0009c] in <d5b72d15d4f7424c8a1538e3f19ec2e3>:0
at System.Windows.Forms.ListBox.LayoutListBox () [0x0002d] in <d5b72d15d4f7424c8a1538e3f19ec2e3>:0
at System.Windows.Forms.ListBox.OnResize (System.EventArgs e) [0x00022] in <d5b72d15d4f7424c8a1538e3f19ec2e3>:0
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnSizeChanged (System.EventArgs e) [0x00006] in <d5b72d15d4f7424c8a1538e3f19ec2e3>:0
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.UpdateBounds (System.Int32 x, System.Int32 y, System.Int32 width, System.Int32 height, System.Int32 clientWidth, System.Int32 clientHeight) [0x000f2] in <d5b72d15d4f7424c8a1538e3f19ec2e3>:0
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.UpdateBounds () [0x0002c] in <d5b72d15d4f7424c8a1538e3f19ec2e3>:0
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmWindowPosChanged (System.Windows.Forms.Message& m) [0x00012] in <d5b72d15d4f7424c8a1538e3f19ec2e3>:0
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc (System.Windows.Forms.Message& m) [0x00157] in <d5b72d15d4f7424c8a1538e3f19ec2e3>:0
at System.Windows.Forms.ListBox.WndProc (System.Windows.Forms.Message& m) [0x00048] in <d5b72d15d4f7424c8a1538e3f19ec2e3>:0
at System.Windows.Forms.Control+ControlWindowTarget.OnMessage (System.Windows.Forms.Message& m) [0x00000] in <d5b72d15d4f7424c8a1538e3f19ec2e3>:0
at System.Windows.Forms.Control+ControlNativeWindow.WndProc (System.Windows.Forms.Message& m) [0x0000b] in <d5b72d15d4f7424c8a1538e3f19ec2e3>:0
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.WndProc (System.IntPtr hWnd, System.Windows.Forms.Msg msg, System.IntPtr wParam, System.IntPtr lParam) [0x0008e] in <d5b72d15d4f7424c8a1538e3f19ec2e3>:0
System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Property accessor 'InventoryName' on object 'MHCDH.Weapon' threw the following exception:'Object of type 'MHCDH.Weapon' doesn't match target type 'MHCDH.Armour'' ---> System.Reflection.TargetException: Object of type 'MHCDH.Weapon' doesn't match target type 'MHCDH.Armour'
at System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Reflection.BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) [0x0005a] in <8f2c484307284b51944a1a13a14c0266>:0
at System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Object[] parameters) [0x00000] in <8f2c484307284b51944a1a13a14c0266>:0
at System.SecurityUtils.MethodInfoInvoke (System.Reflection.MethodInfo method, System.Object target, System.Object[] args) [0x00065] in <bd46d4d4f7964dfa9beea098499ab597>:0
at System.ComponentModel.ReflectPropertyDescriptor.GetValue (System.Object component) [0x00028] in <bd46d4d4f7964dfa9beea098499ab597>:0
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at System.ComponentModel.ReflectPropertyDescriptor.GetValue (System.Object component) [0x000d0] in <bd46d4d4f7964dfa9beea098499ab597>:0
at System.Windows.Forms.ListControl.FilterItemOnProperty (System.Object item, System.String field) [0x0005f] in <d5b72d15d4f7424c8a1538e3f19ec2e3>:0
at System.Windows.Forms.ListControl.GetItemText (System.Object item) [0x00008] in <d5b72d15d4f7424c8a1538e3f19ec2e3>:0
at System.Windows.Forms.ListBox.LayoutSingleColumn () [0x0009c] in <d5b72d15d4f7424c8a1538e3f19ec2e3>:0
at System.Windows.Forms.ListBox.LayoutListBox () [0x0002d] in <d5b72d15d4f7424c8a1538e3f19ec2e3>:0
at System.Windows.Forms.ListBox.OnHandleCreated (System.EventArgs e) [0x00018] in <d5b72d15d4f7424c8a1538e3f19ec2e3>:0
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmCreate (System.Windows.Forms.Message& m) [0x00000] in <d5b72d15d4f7424c8a1538e3f19ec2e3>:0
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc (System.Windows.Forms.Message& m) [0x001d7] in <d5b72d15d4f7424c8a1538e3f19ec2e3>:0
at System.Windows.Forms.ListBox.WndProc (System.Windows.Forms.Message& m) [0x00048] in <d5b72d15d4f7424c8a1538e3f19ec2e3>:0
at System.Windows.Forms.Control+ControlWindowTarget.OnMessage (System.Windows.Forms.Message& m) [0x00000] in <d5b72d15d4f7424c8a1538e3f19ec2e3>:0
at System.Windows.Forms.Control+ControlNativeWindow.WndProc (System.Windows.Forms.Message& m) [0x0000b] in <d5b72d15d4f7424c8a1538e3f19ec2e3>:0
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.WndProc (System.IntPtr hWnd, System.Windows.Forms.Msg msg, System.IntPtr wParam, System.IntPtr lParam) [0x0008e] in <d5b72d15d4f7424c8a1538e3f19ec2e3>:0

OP
Acac

Acac

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

I'm trying to play using mono (since using linux) and when I try to open my inventory it crashes with the following cryptic call trace:
Hi Kvier, thanks for the report! I'm not an expert on Linux, so I'm relying on your expertise. :)

The game is written in C#, with .NET 4.5. So, it's probably most compatible with windows OS's. But, if we can get it to work with mono or wine, that would be quite cool!

Until then, do you reckon I should put a compatibility message on the first post?

-----

Looking through the stack trace, it might be due to how data is being bound to forms, specifically the inventory menu.

Both MHCDH.Weapon and MHCDH.Armour are classes that implement the interfaces IItem and IEquipment. I don't really keep track of a list of Weapons or a list of Armours. Instead, I only track Lists of IItems. Furthermore, I bind that List<IItem> to windows Forms controls, like ListBoxes.

I think Mono might be getting tripped up on that binding. Maybe it doesn't like a list of interfaces being pushed into this Form Control's binding or then sorting them. I get that feeling because of these lines in the stack trace:
"Object of type 'MHCDH.Weapon' doesn't match target type 'MHCDH.Armour'"
"at System.Windows.Forms.ListControl.FilterItemOnProperty (System.Object item, System.String field)"

Windows Forms are pretty old stuff, so I wouldn't be surprised if Mono doesn't like it. I really should be using Windows Presentation Foundation. I'm just using the tools I'm already used to, from back when I was a programmer, a long time ago. :)

-----

Does it always happen when you open the inventory, even in the very start of the game (with just starting items)? Would you per chance be able to test this out on a windows OS? I wonder if others are getting this error in Windows, but just haven't reported it.

Thank you very much! Quite cool to see people with Linux trying my game! :)

Last edited:

kvier

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

Does it always happen when you open the inventory, even in the very start of the game (with just starting items)? Would you per chance be able to test this out on a windows OS?
Yes, with mono, immediately.

It works as intended with the Win8.1 CLR.

Unrelatedly, the stars in the chance-of-event list in each room also don't show up in Mono. That's probably just a font thing, though.

OP
Acac

Acac

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

Yes, with mono, immediately.

It works as intended with the Win8.1 CLR.

Unrelatedly, the stars in the chance-of-event list in each room also don't show up in Mono. That's probably just a font thing, though.
Thanks for the reply! That's good to know. I'm sorry, I don't have any immediate solutions. :(

What I might consider doing is make the source code publicly available. I have it on TFS online, which I use as source control. That way, someone more knowledgeable than me might be able to figure out what changes would make it play nicer with linux.

Cheers!

Tarrasque30

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

Is there any way to convert >100 pride per day? Seems like a waste to have that much pride without having some way to rapidly spend it.

OP
Acac

Acac

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

Is there any way to convert >100 pride per day? Seems like a waste to have that much pride without having some way to rapidly spend it.
Hi Veirdonis,

That's a great point! Also, sorry for the late reply! I was out on a family trip over last week.

Okay, in the current build, there is one way to convert more pride per day. Near the beginning of the game, you more or less automatically unlock "Offer Humility", which as you said, converts 100 pride. However, if you rest while having 900 or less Free Will, a second option will also be unlocked, called "Offer Body". This second option will convert twice as much: 200 pride. You can still only do one offering per day, though (old man needs to rest, I guess, lol).

In future releases, there will be 2 more options that can be unlocked: "Offer Spirit" and "Offer Soul". The former will convert 400 pride, and the latter will convert 800 pride.

But, reading over your message gave me an idea. How about I make it so that each offering can convert a range of pride, or a random amount within a range? So what I'm thinking is, maybe "Offer Humility" still requires at least 100 pride, but if you have like 173 pride, it will convert somewhere between 100 and 173. If you have over 200 (2 times the requirement), then it will only convert somewhere between 100 and 200 pride. The other options will follow a similar pattern, such as "Offer Body" converting between 200 and 400 (or your current pride, whichever is lower), and so on.

I think I might also add more Clarity to the Fee Will displayed. I think for the next release, I'll call 1000 to 901 free will "confident", and 900 to 751 free will "In Doubt", with different text colors for the two. There will be 3 other tiers of free will, as well. I think this might help the player differentiate between different levels of free will, which will have an impact on the game and the scenes you get.

What do you think? All suggestions are welcome. :)

Cheers!