What's new

Patreon screwed itself this month, more info inside

HentaiWriter

Tentacle God
Reputation score
I've emailed Patreon to try and figure out what's going on, but when the pledges came in this month for our Patreon, we were getting declines in droves of people, people who had pledged multiple times before without problems.

I messaged everyone and asked them how come they declined, and in every instance, they not only had no idea they'd declined, they checked their account and found out that they had had their settings set to "decline" for EVERY Patreon account they were pledging to.

So if you use Patreon to pledge to people, definitely check your settings, there's a high likelyhood they were set to "decline" for everyone you're pledging to, and if you use Patreon to gather funds for your game, send out an alert to all your Patrons that they need to check their pledge setting for ALL their pledges, else they may have no idea they're set to decline (possibly).

I realize this isn't directly a game, but it's severe enough for people who make their living off of Patreon to be notified, and a good niche amount of people on this forum now qualify as that, so yeah. Hope this helps out!

Last edited:

PM21

Grim Reaper
Reputation score
Re: Patreon screwed itself this month, more info inside

Where exactly are people seeing that it is set to "auto-decline"? I only see a limited window of options when I check my payment settings.

I haven't had any problems in the past, but I want to make sure nothing has flubbed and automatically changed itself for whatever reason.

OP
HentaiWriter

HentaiWriter

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Where exactly are people seeing that it is set to "auto-decline"? I only see a limited window of options when I check my payment settings.

I haven't had any problems in the past, but I want to make sure nothing has flubbed and automatically changed itself for whatever reason.
Apparently whoever told me there was an "auto-decline" worded it poorly, it was just straight up set to decline i.e. pledging $0 for the month. The case still stands though that tons of people are having problems with pledges not going through when they actually want them to, etc.

PM21

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

This month seems extra buggy for whatever reason. Any pledges I have made in the past have usually been deducted between midnight and 3am and here it is past 4pm.

If you can find out where people are seeing that accounts are set to "auto-decline" that would be great. I'm looking around at account settings and FAQs and haven't found much yet, except for the standard hubbub that pledges sometimes take up to 72 hours and whatnot.

OP
HentaiWriter

HentaiWriter

Tentacle God
Reputation score

This month seems extra buggy for whatever reason. Any pledges I have made in the past have usually been deducted between midnight and 3am and here it is past 4pm.

If you can find out where people are seeing that accounts are set to "auto-decline" that would be great. I'm looking around at account settings and FAQs and haven't found much yet, except for the standard hubbub that pledges sometimes take up to 72 hours and whatnot.
Yeah, like, we're getting hit REALLY hard. We're already at over $700 in declines; if this keeps up and people don't repledge (and in the past, the vast majority of people who've declined don't repledge), we might be really, REALLY screwed financially.

As in, I'm going to have to go into my own savings just to keep Triangulate and Cheshire afloat, and I can only do that once before my own savings is gone, so if it happens again, Cheshire and I are both dead in the water.

I've emailed Patreon about it, they really dropped the ball on this one this time, seriously. :X

PM21

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

Not to deflect your financial issues with personal gripes, but I'd really like Malise and the Machine .02 demo to come my way before company comes over this evening. Putting a real damper on my schedule, here.

OP
HentaiWriter

HentaiWriter

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Not to deflect your financial issues with personal gripes, but I'd really like Malise and the Machine .02 demo to come my way before company comes over this evening. Putting a real damper on my schedule, here.
Oh no, this is affecting EVERYONE using Patreon, not just me, I totally understand; they really, really need to fix this shit and fast!

OP
HentaiWriter

HentaiWriter

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Patreon is apparently on it; how this'll be fixed, I have no idea, but I'm crossing my fingers!

CrazyPerson

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

My guess is a glitch in their system caused their credit card processor to return only errors.
What I imagine they'll do is just automatically re-try all the payments, once they fixed whatever glitch they had things should be fine.

As I understand it, they don't pay creators until the 5th, so they have a few days left to fix this, and I think they will.
It would be a massive blow to their PR if they just randomly couldn't pay people, so they have every motivation to get this right.

Kelkora

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

Yeah i didn't get any auto decline issues but it simply told me that my card had been rejected, had to refill in my payment settings a couple of times before it accepted it. Thought it was an issue on my end so im somewhat glad that its not my card/bank that's screwed.

Ironstrom

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

They responded to someone on twitter with " Once our engineers push a fix, all declined pledges will be retried. We'll get creators paid as soon as we can!"

As of 6 minutes ago of me posting this.(Twitter)

E

erobotan

so i receive email from patreon stating that they're starting to reprocess the payment.

good ending i guess?

Papanomics

Lurker
Reputation score

It was that extra second we got last night.

I kid you not.

dragoon48

Reputation score

yep i can see nothing about auto declining in settings however it told me my payment failed earlier today and then a few hours later it processed.

Rule 34

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Same here. First, I got an e-mail that my pledges failed, then later they got through okay. They seem to have fixed it.

echidna

Sex Demon
Reputation score

Yeah, my pledges went through 15 minutes ago. Seems like everything's working again.