What's new

RPG Unknown/Hiatus Malise and the Machine - Public Demo Available Now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mistah F.

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
Re: Malise and the Machine - Public Demo Available Now!

I've been watching this game's progress back when this thread had about 5 or ten posts. The demo far exceeded my expectations, even in the artwork which I expected to be on the stiff and hollow side. Your process is working out very well.

If I pledge at least tier two now will I get the latest version of the game right away, or do I have to wait until the next update?

AltairPL

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

I've been watching this game's progress back when this thread had about 5 or ten posts. The demo far exceeded my expectations, even in the artwork which I expected to be on the stiff and hollow side. Your process is working out very well.

If I pledge at least tier two now will I get the latest version of the game right away, or do I have to wait until the next update?
If you pledge now, you will be charged around September 1st and still have to wait to September 10th or so for version 0.05 . If you really want to play current version, you can contact Eromancer via mail ([email protected]) to work something out.

OP
Eromancer

Eromancer

Sex Demon
Reputation score

Hey guys!

The release for V0.05 has changed slightly to September 15 so that we have some additional time to better test it. Below is the expected change log for V0.05 for anyone interested :D. I locked in Patreon pledges for the release today, but as usual you can message me if you missed the pledge deadline and I'll send you details on how to get a pledge to me.

Content

• Added the ‘Tactical Frame’ armor type for Neon.
  • Added approximately 100 portraits as well as the sprite artwork for Neon’s new armor type.
  • Added a new skill for Neon compatible with her new armor type.
  • Replaced the puzzle area in the Breeding Zone with a more straightforward series of exploration-centric maps. These maps were created with and show off the power of TK’s new 3D map editor, and they also do a better job of setting up the main story than the puzzle area.
  • Replaced the Access Tunnels Entrance map with one created using TK’s 3D map editor (over time we will replace all existing maps with improved versions).
  • New story H scene

Map Overhaul

• Tilemap usage (vanilla RPG Maker’s method of making maps' visuals) was removed or heavily scaled back on all maps in favor of parallax mapping (using multiple layers of pre-processed images to construct the maps’ visuals), resulting in a huge increase to map performance.
  • Redesigned how traversable/non-traversable terrain is set for maps in the RPG Maker editor. This reduces map configuration time and minimizes the chance of errors such as invisible walls, walking in the air, etc. In addition, this allows for more elevation layers to exist on a single map, as well as much cleaner handling for marking areas of maps that utilize multiple elevation layers (for instance, walkways that characters can both walk on top of and underneath).
  • Recoded and improved map elevation levels code, which allows proper and player-independent occlusion and shading of characters and event graphics. What this means is that previous to this change, mobile NPCs and the player basically couldn’t exist on separate elevation levels without the possibility of crazy visual anomalies.
  • Added map data preprocessing, which greatly reduces access time to map data by the engine.
  • We’ve begun implementing a new design system for new maps that should make it easier for the player to judge where the player characters can and can’t move with regard to navigating near walls and ledges.
  • Added custom collision detection for events with graphics bigger than 1 tile (for example, the player character doesn't have to overlap with larger characters like FuseBot to interact with it, and in addition large characters like FuseBot can now hypothetically freely wander the map without overlapping walls or other map events).
  • Added custom activation area for events, meaning an event can be activated from multiple points on the map. This means using less events to perform a task (for example, transfer zones which required up to a dozen events now require only one, resulting in a performance boost). This also significantly speeds up time spent creating complex events, since before this we would have needed events for the sole purpose of triggering other events, and so on.
  • Added a general custom event configuration feature that allows us to quickly and easily make a variety of common edits to events, thus speeding up map creation. This includes but is not limited to setting collision/activation data and being able to shift events’ graphics independently of the event itself.
  • Limited the creation of event sprites to only those that are within or near the visible area of the map, which greatly enhances performance.
  • Updated all existing maps and events to take advantage of new features.
  • Plethora of other fixes, tweaks, optimizations, etc.
  • NOTE: The map overhaul is an ongoing process, so some things, such as map loading times, may actually be worse than before - this will be addressed when more maps get updated with new visuals as then we'll be able to make more proper decisions on what is the best solution for this.

Equipment

• Fixed a few minor bugs related to armor types that surfaced after implementing Neon's second armor.
  • Implemented separate skill Tetra panels for each armor type.
  • Improved handling of Tetra panels in both Tetra configuration screen and battle. This gives a marginal performance boost, but is way more manageable.
  • Implemented armor type restriction for skills.
  • Added armor/weapon type restrictions to some skills.

Miscellaneous

• Removed multiple major 3rd party scripts - their functionality, when necessary, was coded from scratch in way more efficient and dedicated way, which improves performance and makes code more manageable.
  • Added cursor speed options to the Options menu, allowing for more responsive navigation of the menus / battle target selection. “Initial Delay” changes the activation time for the cursor to begin repeating movement when a directional key/button is held down. “Repeat Delay” changes the speed at which the cursor repeats movement after the initial delay time has passed.
  • Added 'Y' keyboard key as alias to 'Z' key - their positions are swapped in QWERTY/QWERTZ keyboard layouts, and using Z key in QWERTZ layout is a pain in the... ahem... hand ;)
  • Filenames for all graphics depicting player characters (portraits, map sprites, etc.) are now dynamically built using current actor state (armor damage, lust sickness stage, states, etc.). This means that character sprites and dialog portraits can now show armor damage / effects of lust / so on. Unfortunately, adding graphics for this wasn’t in the scope of this update, so these changes won’t be visible yet.
  • The ‘Pause’ key/button will now hide all map windows (including message windows). This is basically a simple beta method for being able to hide the message window during H scenes.
  • Added process for displaying ‘under construction’ graphics for battle portraits that don’t have art yet.
  • Added the capability for having loading screens, and added said screens where necessary.

Aaaaaaand back to work :D.

Jesus

The Father, The Son, The Holy Spirit
Staff member
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Will Neon ever get normal legs? Mechanical limbs are a turn-off for me, but at least in the case of MatM I can overlook them

imirael

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

Just played this for the first time. SUrprisingly fun. Good job eromancer.

Are there going to be any more enemy types later on? The robots and monsters were kind of awesomely well done, but i was hankering for some variety later.

Especially after the door puzzle. Thing is kind of brutal but also kind of fun. Those mimic-chests full of tentacle monsters were quite a surprise to find, and I do appreciate how there seem to be more than 6 possible circuit board locations.

Rule 34

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Will Neon ever get normal legs? Mechanical limbs are a turn-off for me, but at least in the case of MatM I can overlook them
Her dress outfit seems to have more humanoid legs.

ahrimansiah

Lurker
Reputation score

@Eromancer
Awesome news bro! but im wish we had new enemy type too... :/

imirael

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

It actually took me a while to realize she can't have tits-based attacks due to being all cyborg up there.

I was noticing that engorge attack only ever hit the other character, and had an 'oh, thats why' moment. Nice detail, that.

OP
Eromancer

Eromancer

Sex Demon
Reputation score

I don't have anymore outfits designed for her yet, so possibly. We do have a scene in the story where I think she's disguised as a human... or at the least not a combat synthetic.

Just played this for the first time. SUrprisingly fun. Good job eromancer.

Are there going to be any more enemy types later on? The robots and monsters were kind of awesomely well done, but i was hankering for some variety later.

Especially after the door puzzle. Thing is kind of brutal but also kind of fun. Those mimic-chests full of tentacle monsters were quite a surprise to find, and I do appreciate how there seem to be more than 6 possible circuit board locations.
The puzzle area is going to be refined and moved to probably a side dungeon later in the game. Was definitely too much to be this early in the game :D.

Nope, similar legs, but arms and boobs!

It actually took me a while to realize she can't have tits-based attacks due to being all cyborg up there.

I was noticing that engorge attack only ever hit the other character, and had an 'oh, thats why' moment. Nice detail, that.
That armor type is actually for her support/defensive archetype, and immunity to those attacks is one of the benefits. Her new armor type coming in V0.05 is compatible with more damage dealing skills, and will act as sort of her glass cannon archetype.

Reputation score

I don't have anymore outfits designed for her yet, so possibly. We do have a scene in the story where I think she's disguised as a human... or at the least not a combat synthetic.

The puzzle area is going to be refined and moved to probably a side dungeon later in the game. Was definitely too much to be this early in the game :D.

Nope, similar legs, but arms and boobs!

That armor type is actually for her support/defensive archetype, and immunity to those attacks is one of the benefits. Her new armor type coming in V0.05 is compatible with more damage dealing skills, and will act as sort of her glass cannon archetype.
I like her robot legs a lot, gives her a more unusual look then normal but they don't diminish her attractiveness.

Jesus

The Father, The Son, The Holy Spirit
Staff member
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

I wouldn't say it'd warrant an entirely new outfit tbh, but it'd be nice to have them interchangeable with the existing ones, maybe with some minor gameplay implications (Lower agility and lust resistance, traded for a slight max health boost?) - If you feel it's worth the effort to do the art for them anyway.

Last edited:

imirael

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

I don't have anymore outfits designed for her

Huh. I didn't realize that changing armors could do that! are skills tied to them, etc? Which do what?

As for the puzzle area feedback: Its your game, so do what you want with it, but here's what i felt/noticed.

I kinda liked it. It felt a lot of similiarities to a survival raid - i got along much better with it when I realized I could come out ahead of the fuse curve by killing robotit(this was a typo but i let it stand) spawns within the arena, and that the trade-in values at fusebot are actually the same as or better than what you get going through.
That he drops stuff for you at the end of each 'wave' is a LITTLE bit non-intuitive and i missed it the first time.

I think its workable, but there's some quality-of-life stuff you may want to think about.
Coordinates - marking the room you're in. Fusebot gives a hint that NVG's are at 0,0,2 for example - that's present nowhere else.
a list of stuff in the area - its impossible to tell if you've 'got it all', or if you missed stuff. Maybe a checklist for loot at fusebot.
More clear wraparounds - I found someone who had a few combos for stuff

What you may want to consider is a wave/survival/hold-this-position type game instead.
Consider fuses-for-loot instead of hunting-paths for it. Its fairly the same tradeoff as far as time invested in running through the mini-dungeon.
There's something wierd with wraparounds. Is the puzzle based on specific letter/logic combinations, or actual left-right choices? I'm fairly sure that i was getting back to some AAB-etc combinations by going through the C-side and trying stuff i hadn't done before.

Generally, I actually kind of had fun with it. It was a challenge once i figured out how it worked - but zero fun without the hints/boost. Still a bit of a grind tho. I can see why you'd want to smooth it out.

On the subject of outfits, how is the art for them handled? Are they all seperate assets based off shots of what i assume is single blender/maya file?

ahrimansiah

Lurker
Reputation score

@Eromancer
any artwork or picture of the new creature you were talking about bro? would give me much joy ^^

honjcat

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

@Eromancer

Do you have any plans to rebalance the vorepups? It seems to me that when playing straight (not trying to let H-events happen), it's very easy to shut them down compared to any other mob.

I was thinking they could use either very high evasion, or faster attacks to become more of a threat.

Slam Sector

Sex Demon
Reputation score

@Eromancer

Do you have any plans to rebalance the vorepups? It seems to me that when playing straight (not trying to let H-events happen), it's very easy to shut them down compared to any other mob.

I was thinking they could use either very high evasion, or faster attacks to become more of a threat.
High evasion would make them the worst kind of annoying. The game actually had a period earlier where attacks missed too often and it made the combat worse.

honjcat

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

High evasion would make them the worst kind of annoying. The game actually had a period earlier where attacks missed too often and it made the combat worse.
I remember, but I think it was because the heroines were missing their special attacks, not due to high dodge. The only way they're threatening right now is if you lose a lot of dice rolls in a row, so something could/should be done to alleviate that.

devvah

Demon Girl
Reputation score

(.043) I need CE pointer for 20 fuse otherwise I'm stuck at fucking fuse puzzle...

imirael

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

(.043) I need CE pointer for 20 fuse otherwise I'm stuck at fucking fuse puzzle...
Every time you come out of the fuse puzzle, fusebot will drop some fuses for you.

The size and amount of them depends on how many stages you got inside.

IIRC you want like 3-4 for a 20 amp to drop?

Basically you need 2 10-amps to start. You put a 10A into start, which lets you use one door for 2 stages (5,10). in stage 2 you pre-plan your next branch and put a 10A in that circuit. since you're already cleared for stage 2 from the circuit on the first panel, a 5A will let you advance through the third door for 15A.

I think that will either get you a 20amp, or break even/convert more tens. If not, then you want another 10amp to get through door 4. (15->25)

I believe the penetrating oil is found in C B A (with a circuit board in CBAA) which can let you trade 10a fuses for 20amp, and i believe its about the same exchange rate as going through the puzzle. Sadly, you need at least 1 20amp to get in there, but you can manage to get to that point from tens.

devvah

Demon Girl
Reputation score

Doesn't matter how many times I reach 25 doors and how I pre plan it, it always shows red lights at doors even though they have 25 fuses so going 5 + 20 seems like the only way these fucking doors will accept to open.

I will look for oil though.

iamnuff

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Finally got around to trying this myself.

The character design is great and the gameplay is fun, but I don't think much of the map design.

It can be hard to tell which tiles can be walked on (background platforms?) and the fact that, thus far, I've spent about 30 minutes in completely identical tunnels (with no map?) makes the whole game feel kinda bland and samey.

What I've heard of the fuse puzzle makes it sound like it's just taking the fact that most of the (first dungeon?) feels exactly the same and trying to turn it into a puzzle/game mechanic.

Status
Not open for further replies.