What's new

[TOOL] RPG Maker AUTO translator

testuser1020

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
Hey guys,

An anon over at 8ch's /hgg/ developed a tool that automatically machine translates Japanese strings of RPG Maker games to English IN the game. In other words, you no longer have to go through various hooks in ITH or chiitrans hunting for the correct text in stubborn games. It also caches the translated blocks so they can be easily accessed next time.

Installation
1. Download and install Ruby 2.2.x (32 bit). I'm not sure if you need all the optionals before the main install but just get them anyways, especially the second box. rubyinstaller.org/downloads/
2. Download and extract the translator program.
github.com/RPG-Maker-Translator/RPG-Maker-Translator *New update 1/19*
3. Run the .exe, open up settings in the top left and specify the folder for the output dir. Make sure there are no Japanese characters in the path. (It should look like C:/Folder/OutputFolder)
4. Specify the game you want translated by finding its .exe in the game directory path row. Again, make sure there are no Japanese characters in the path.
5. Hit translate then wait

If your game isn't getting translated or the program is stuck on "cache loading", open up auto_translate.rb in notepad, delete the contents, and then copy all the text from line 2 down in ghostbin.com/paste/gzrs5

Also, since the project is open-source, and I don't know how to code, if someone knows how to integrate an offline translator like ATLAS, that'd be great since right now it's using an online translator. (or make a program that can take the string in and return the translation, then the creator said he would integrate it himself.)

A few pictures: imgur.com/a/PCjUh

Last edited:
OP
T

testuser1020

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
Re: RPG Maker AUTO translator

I forgot to add, RPG Maker MV games can't be translated by the tool yet.

DarkSlayer

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

Seriously friend?, I'm going to try it to see that such goes

Cleanfeel

Demon Girl
Reputation score

This is a very nice piece of software. Just a small feedback: since you already track the number of lines in the logs, it'd be boss to display it as a percentage in the progress bar as well. Other than that, it's pretty perfect.

Although, I'm a bit concerned about the speed of the software. I'm assuming you're making HTTP requests somewhere to get the translations? since I see your require http in the translate.rb file. I dabble in Ruby, but I've always done web never really any GUI stuff on the desktop. If you document more on your readme, I'd be able to learn the tech you're using and help out.

Those indentations are a killer, btw.

sn123412

Mystic Girl
Reputation score

For whatever reason i keep getting an error for any time of rpgmaker game, i have renamed all of the folders containing the games the error is saying it cannot find the file specified i am pretty sure its something i did but i followed the directions given and still gives the error.

OP
T

testuser1020

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

Although, I'm a bit concerned about the speed of the software. I'm assuming you're making HTTP requests somewhere to get the translations? since I see your require http in the translate.rb file..
Yeah, it uses the transltr.org api for the translations, which means the speed has to be throttled (from what I can understand on /hgg/). But still, for the couple of games I've translated with it, neither took much more than an hour.

Another anon was trying to implement google translate but kept getting banned if too many requests were sent too quickly, and so had to throttle to 1 request every 1.5-2 seconds.

For whatever reason i keep getting an error for any time of rpgmaker game, i have renamed all of the folders containing the games the error is saying it cannot find the file specified i am pretty sure its something i did but i followed the directions given and still gives the error.
I had a similar problem, are you getting something like this?

System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception (0x80004005): The system cannot find the file specified
at System.Diagnostics.Process.StartWithCreateProcess(ProcessStartInfo startInfo)
at System.Diagnostics.Process.Start()

For me, it was fixed by installing the 32 bit version of Ruby and the optionals that came before the main install.

sn123412

Mystic Girl
Reputation score

Yeah, it uses the transltr.org api for the translations, which means the speed has to be throttled (from what I can understand on /hgg/). But still, for the couple of games I've translated with it, neither took much more than an hour.

Another anon was trying to implement google translate but kept getting banned if too many requests were sent too quickly, and so had to throttle to 1 request every 1.5-2 seconds.

I had a similar problem, are you getting something like this?

System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception (0x80004005): The system cannot find the file specified
at System.Diagnostics.Process.StartWithCreateProcess(ProcessStartInfo startInfo)
at System.Diagnostics.Process.Start()

For me, it was fixed by installing the 32 bit version of Ruby and the optionals that came before the main install.
Well, it started working but it is now telling me that the output directory cannot be found. Does this mean that the directory should not be just an empty folder?

Libellule

Cthulhu
Reputation score

Well, it started working but it is now telling me that the output directory cannot be found. Does this mean that the directory should not be just an empty folder?
be sure not to have any jap caractere in the output directory path (you can have then in the game path)

-----------

i test it's in diferent way right now...

the idea is good, not 100% stable for now, but the cache is nice and usefull

i thinks that he will be usefull for quick and easy partial, for a full i'm more skeptical, i personaly alway use 4-6 diferent translator to realy get all that is say in a game ^^

and i fear for heavily scripted game ^^

OP
T

testuser1020

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

hmm, does the path contain any japanese characters?
It should look like "C:\examplefolder\examplefolder"

What does it say next to output dir in settings?

sn123412

Mystic Girl
Reputation score

Apparently i did not have the Net .35 framework installed so i had to install that and now it is working, thanks for the help.

OP
T

testuser1020

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

the idea is good, not 100% stable for now, but the cache is nice and usefull

i thinks that he will be usefull for quick and easy partial, for a full i'm more skeptical, i personaly alway use 4-6 diferent translator to realy get all that is say in a game ^^

and i fear for heavily scripted game ^^
Yeah, you can if you want just translate certain parts (items, weapons, etc) of the game in the settings.

What would be awesome to see is a massive hand-translated cache so we could make more sense of machine-translations.

T4ke

Lurker
Reputation score

Just tried it out. A really fancy tool. Somewhat more comfortable than the good old RPGMakerTrans v4.37. I Really like the incorporation of json files.

I think this Tool can make solid and good translations with some tinkering and tweaking of the Cached Translations Database.

Libellule

Cthulhu
Reputation score

What would be awesome to see is a massive hand-translated cache so we could make more sense of machine-translations.
mmm yeah, like the shared dictionary of VNR :x

but that will need a change in the language o_O... ruby is sooooooooooo slowwwwww.... and it's become a super turtle when the cache hit some MO XD...

Edit :

i have some game where the rebuild of the data dont works after he have créated all his json translation ><... *searching why...*

i alway get the same error at the end, when he use the rmvxXXX_translator to fuse the translation in the data :x

Last edited:

Cleanfeel

Demon Girl
Reputation score

Can you figure out better error handling? I get these pop ups that says "Incomplete" Yes | No. And it doesn't tell me much.

How do I know how the program didn't work?

I currently see "processed XXXXX lines in XXX seconds". After getting the "incomplete" popup.

OP
T

testuser1020

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

I'm not really sure about these errors, I only know the very basics. Do they happen before or after the game has been fully translated? Is there already a copy of the game in the output dir? When you play the copy of the game, is anything translated?

It might be worth creating an issue in the github. I'll see if the OP in /hgg/ will reply.

OP
T

testuser1020

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

Also, the program was updated very recently, maybe that has something to do with it?

Here's the older version. (ulmf's file upload crashes for me midway for some reason)

*program has been updated on github, old no longer needed*

Last edited:

DarkSlayer

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

Hi I have a problem when select the button of translate not is if I can help the message is this:

"Unhandled exception in the application. If you click continue, the application Skip this error and attempt to continue. If you click Exit, the application will close immediately.

The system cannot find the file specified"

If someone knows as could solve that problem I would appreciate that I say

OP
T

testuser1020

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

do you have the 2.2 ruby (32bit) installed?

OP
T

testuser1020

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

Hmm. Did you also install the optional stuff before the main install too?
I had a similar problem in the beginning.