What's new

The Reputation Hilarity/Insanity thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Ryka

Re: The Reputation Hilarity/Insanity thread

SinfulWolf is the least hippiest person I know.

As for my negreps and posreps, I'm sorry. I should not have made an entire thread about it. I was just concerned, as it was the first and only H-Game I bought Civilian Style and I did not know if my money was being taken or not due to lack of understanding.

XSI

Lurker
Reputation score
OP
Cappy

Cappy

Reputation score

I would just like to say, this trend of blaming anyone who even remotely wants to protect their own livelihood or challenge the privileged attitudes of others for racism, this fucking taboo word that's been basically turned into a massive indictment on people and their ability to be respected as human beings, over issues that aren't actually necessarily related to race. You are the ones who are racist, and actively encourage racist behaviour in others, this double standard of not being able to be racist against whites, not being able to sexist against men, and best of all, people of different cultures not being able to speak on behalf of issues towards one or the other? Utterly fucking ridiculous.

Only two things should rule in the realm of conversation and debate/argument, logic and reasoning. Emotions have nothing to do with it, and if you're being massively emotional when you're talking it probably means that you're talking absolute bullshit, and you should learn to calm down and use reasoning or just go ahead and kill yourself to make the world a better place. If you can't come up with a good response, go cry by yourself while the adults talk. Kthx

(Yes I understand and acknowledge the irony, or even outright hypocrisy some people might see of me saying this, but just like anyone else I grow and change every day[elderly people shrinking due to age notwithstanding], not all of us can mature day by day but I like to think that I can, and my perspective on life today has been improved in ways that I think are for the better.)

Obsidious

Evard's Tentacles of Forced Intrusion
Reputation score

Cappy, although I'm with you on the topic of things being declared "taboo" unnecessarily early (though isn't "privileged" another word serving that purpose?) and people emotionalizing things, you seem to take things on a personal level as well.

This is of course well within your rights and you seem to be referring to some specific person, I don't know. But it certainly seems to me you are acting proactively, wanting to have the last word when maybe it would be better to just let differences be differences. When you know that a topic can't be discussed on a level other than emotional, then don't.

OP
Cappy

Cappy

Reputation score

That's a fair point. It's honestly hard not to feel like a victim lately, but when people don't even try to include reasoning into their emotional arguments it actually does get quite a bit under my skin. I'll leave it be, this is the wrong thread for that kind of thing anyways.

super_slicer

Lord High Inquisitor
Staff member
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Well there seems to be a trend going on where instead of actually debating a point they disagree on, some users will instead just neg-rep you.

Now I can understand the daunting task of debating a position you have taken simply because it's in YOUR favor without any thought of it's morality or benefit to society as a whole. And on a forum you likely don't visit to discuss such issues. But this passive aggressive "hehe I gave you red rep just because" either reinforces the OP's point, or is completely lost on them since you don't actually write an opposing argument.

Last edited:

Crawdaddy

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Well there seems to be a trend going on where instead of actually debating a point they disagree on, some users will instead just neg-rep you.
Well, I'd argue that such is the consequence of a system that allows anonymous feedback that materializes in a kind of score-system.

OP
Cappy

Cappy

Reputation score

If you literally want to strawman your own position I'll happily knock you down and call you out for being a scrub. That's basically what baseless neg-repping gets you. (not refering to anybody in particular, unless you're guilty of doing that I guess.)

Last edited:

OAMP

Turtle Poker
Reputation score

I'm going to start handing out rep based on a 1 to 5 star system, in honor of the ap being discussed in the other thread. If defenders of the ap get irate I'll meet my weekly quota for drama ;)

Ranger Princess

Tentacle God
Reputation score

feminists doesn't mean solely women, and only retarded feminists could argue for laws like this.

Not sure where I stated that I supported the law or that ANYONE supported the law. I simply pointed out that by virtue of women being a minority in virtually all governments in the world, the rant about "extremist feminists" controlling politics makes no sense whatsoever.

Secondly, go fuck yourself.

Hentaispider

Lord of the Tap Dance \oO.Oo/ (And Reputation Mana
Staff member
Administrator
Reputation score

feminists doesn't mean solely women, and only retarded feminists could argue for laws like this.

Not sure where I stated that I supported the law or that ANYONE supported the law. I simply pointed out that by virtue of women being a minority in virtually all governments in the world, the rant about "extremist feminists" controlling politics makes no sense whatsoever.

Secondly, go fuck yourself.
So only women can be feminists, now?

Ranger Princess

Tentacle God
Reputation score

So only women can be feminists, now?
No. However, the majority of feminists are typically women. Given that Cappy singled it out even further by describing them as extremist feminists, that makes the pool of possible people he could mean even smaller (and probably even more likely to be women but could possibly include a few men). I was just pointing out that its impossible for "extremist feminists" to control any government in the world because there are not enough of them to control any government anywhere.

OAMP

Turtle Poker
Reputation score

The funny thing is it's probably someone who was complaining about people neg repping and not debating publicly just a few posts ago ;)

Obsidious

Evard's Tentacles of Forced Intrusion
Reputation score

Not sure where to reply to this, here, the news thread or the debate thread where it probably belongs. I'd just like to point out - while as usual trying to be neutral (get it?) - that you don't necessarily have to be part of government itself in order to be able to influence it. In fact that's probably what parliamentarian (and other forms of ) democracies are all about.

Since Cappy did not speak of feminist politicians, this might be something to take into consideration.

Also regarding the issue with women presenting only a minority: There are quite a few countries (Germany being among them) where political parties have an internal quota regarding representation in parliament (on all levels of hierarchy), election candidate lists and so on. Furthermore a law was passed this or last year that obligates the largest corporations to have (I think) 40% women represent the board of directors.

This sounds good and all, until you think about how many, or rather how few, women will actually be able to benefit from this, at least directly. Since this law concerns only the 100 largest corporations and the board of directors is constituted of around 10 people on average, that would be 400 - let's say 500 for good measure.

Now you could take into account that companies will have to actively support female staff in order not to have to recruit from external places (and in practice, the latter is how it actually works) this is still unjust in the sense that in job offerings, women of equal qualification will have to be preferred instead of men. That is actually common standard nowadays in academia.

Whether or not this will make things even out in a generation or so, is probably speculation. In my opinion quota do not address the inherent mechanisms by which hierarchies in society (generally speaking) evolve, they don't even attempt to. I'd argue that they are to a large extend an act of symbolism.

Edit: In order to avoid stepping on landmines, please regard this post not as an attempt to evaluate a concept, but rather a specific kind of implementation.

Last edited:

OAMP

Turtle Poker
Reputation score

Someone just neg repped my previous post, specifically calling it "baseless". The fact that they used the rep system and not a post is one step short of, by definition, providing it a base ;) Checkmate.

Ranger Princess

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Long Post
True, you don't have to be a part of government in order to influence it. It helps quite a bit though, if there are people in the government that care about what you have to say. For a small minority such as "extremist" feminists, I doubt there's many MPs that really care what they have to say (or even know what they have to say for that matter). Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if some of these laws came from the "family values" clique to be completely honest.

Regarding quotas, your point seems to imply that I'm suggesting there should be quotas to allow more women to be in government? Actually, I would prefer if people just voted for women, though I guess the situation is more complicated for countries with Closed List PR. Quotas are kind of needed there since you can't actually choose who you're voting for.

Last edited:
OP
Cappy

Cappy

Reputation score

Just came back since the last time I was here, got a lot of reading and stuff to do before I respond to pretty much anything, but I feel it important to point out that I'm not the person who negrepped. If I was really buttblasted enough to negrep something like that it would be more wordy and end with my signature.

OAMP

Turtle Poker
Reputation score

Yeah, also for reference I don't remember the last time I repped Cappy either way, but it hasn't been in the past 2 days because it doesn't let me click on him, which shows how much rep I give out over time :p heh.

Crawdaddy

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Now you could take into account that companies will have to actively support female staff in order not to have to recruit from external places (and in practice, the latter is how it actually works) this is still unjust in the sense that in job offerings, women of equal qualification will have to be preferred instead of men. That is actually common standard nowadays in academia.
While this is true, and in many cases bound to create feelings of injustice on an individual level, it is essentially an admittance that social change does not occur in a vacuum.

There are a number of factors that are in disfavor of women in many labor sectors, such as cultural expectations of having children, and consequently being the person that spends the most time and effort on those children. This often means that women are seen as less desireable than men by companies out to hire, because they're viewed as being less "reliable" workers, if that makes sense. Up here it's technicall illegal to ask a woman if she intends to have children, but a lot of companies get around by asking oblique questions anyway ("where do you see yourself in five years?" or "do you find family values to be important to you?").

Another factor is of course the "old boys" factor, in which the presence of a female is resented because it might alter the social dynamic of the workplace. Suddenly certain jokes might be objected to that would've previously been seen as acceptable - kinda the same reason why an all-white workplace might resent the presense of a black guy, or an all-straight place the presence of a gay person (contrary to the stereotype, most gay people do not make above-average salaries. At least in the Us last time I checked. And certainly not transgender people). Or indeed the presence of a low-caste worker in a place that previously mostly had high caste employees.

Academically speaking - and this is particularly interesting to me as I'm currently within an academic field - is that even though in a lot of western countries the portion of female students is slowly but surely becoming larger than the male portion, the vast majority of professional academic positions are held by men. This becomes truer the higher you get in the academic hierarchy.

And then of course you have the oddity that even in the most "progressive" societies, there is still a kind of expectation that the male partner in a relationship or marriage is supposed to make more money, otherwise he's not "wearing the pants in the relationship" or some other emasculating phrase from the 40s. Frustratingly enough, one might argue, many women hold on to this as well, some might even consider a man who makes less money as being less desireable for various reasons. There's actually a sociological phenomenon that's been described in Scandinavia for this: "pent brukt mann", or "gently used man", which highlight why there is an increasing degree of unmarried, low-income men, and multiple-times-married high-income men. Fascinating, but perhaps also worrying stuff.

Anyway, all of this (as well as other factors) compounds to women, as a group, possessing less (literal) capital, and fewer politically influential individuals. Now granted, this neglects a vast amount of internal differentiation within both genders, but the point does stand.

Does legally mandated quotation work then? I honestly don't quite know. I could be wrong, but I thnk there are mixed reports on its efficacy. I'd certainly admi that there are important objection to it, and also, perhaps as importantly, on where it should be applied.

Status
Not open for further replies.